Chapter 33: Dawn [2]
155 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 33: Dawn [2]

After washing his sticky mucks away, the knight rubbed his face with the towel. Finding a water jug, he took a cup and filled it with water to quench his thirst. It was quite a long battle.

Soon, the sounds of clanking armors entered his ears. “Finally.”

He searched for the origin of the noise and saw Madam Annis and Lady Leine walking towards the tent, and behind them were his most trusted confidants.

They entered the tenth and took their places. A rust-like scent wafted in the command tent. After all, each of these soldiers tested their mettle against the wolves the entire night with him.

“How’s everyone?” Levo said as he strode towards the carved chair.

With a clenched fist to their chest, the soldiers fell to their knees. Despite their loud answer, Levo saw the fatigue dwelling within their eyes. “We’re fine knight!”

“Rise. Let’s not waste time. Everyone needs to rest. Annis and Leine, tell me how’s our casualty?”

Annis strode and stood behind Levo. She gazed at the men and women in front of her. She pulled out a piece of paper from her sleeves. “We have ten excellent soldiers dead, about 30 people injured. At least 10 of them are unfit for battle. The other 20 can still join the battle though with limitation.”

Knight Levo tapped the soles of his boot. His hands on his chin. “Please give the family of the two gold coins to the families of the deceased. If it is still lacking, ask them to join us and we will take care of them.”

“For handicapped and too injured to join the battle. Don’t let them think of the battle. Provide the best treatment we could give. If they could recover, we could give those new jobs and land.”

“Let the twenty others get a good rest today. Let them assist in logistics. The rear if they could use bows. Take care of them, Leine. Anything else?” After a few years on the battlefields, Levo had already lost many people. Levo wasn’t new in handling cases about anything in the military. In wars and subjugation, it was normal to have deaths. The other issue was how would you cope up after the battle. Some soldiers may even go crazy if not properly debrief, and not all armies have this kind of aftercare.

Lady Leine showed a salute towards the Knight. “I will do my best.”

Madam glanced at everyone. She remembered something important. “Oh, please don’t forget to collect our spoils. Merchants would want everything we could offer. Just based on the number of the Death wolves, it’s a big haul. Leine, you could ask for the help of your brother and the villagers who stayed.”

“Yes, Madam!” Lady Leine nodded.

The sounds of Rutherfordian coins clinked. The soldiers’ eyes lit up in delight. The chi-chings echoed in everyone’s ears, washing up their tiredness. If there was one good thing that happened, it’s the rare ingredients from the wolves.

Seeing his soldier smiling and daydreaming, the knight couldn’t help grin. He struck when the iron was still hot. “Good, since we’re quite short on time. Let’s get to the serious stuff. Everyone here understands that we have to stay here and wait for the reinforcement. Or else everything would be for naught. Anyway, my wife will take over now.”

With a grin, the knight passed the baton to the madam.

Madam Annis took the reins, and a bitter smile formed on her lips. “Okay, everyone. Let me tell you a nice cold fact. The death wolves will return as soon as the sun retreats.”

Everyone understood the battle had yet to end. Still, hearing the bad news from Madam pricked their tired hearts.

“As for my plan, it’s simple. Hold the fort until reinforcements arrive.”

Bustling murmurs and echoed around the tent. Doubts and fear struck their hearts. A captain from the knight’s men raised his hand with sharp brows. “Aren’t you sending us to our deaths, Annis?”

Madam Annis only gave the guy a gaze. She eyes each man and woman in the tent. She took a deep breath and smiled. “Of course not, Janus, I wouldn’t dare to force anyone.”

Hearing those words, everyone couldn’t help but sigh in relief.

The man named Janus simply scrunched his brows and observed Madam. He kept mum as if he was waiting for something. Knowing Madam for years had its perks. He knew there was something more to it.

“But! If anyone stays and to join us until reinforcement arrives. Aside from the monetary compensation, we will also award them with the land. We would allow bi-generational ownership depending on our vassals’ performance.” Annis winked at the tired officers.

“You all have seen the village. Although, it’s still small as compared to towns. The land area owned by this village is good enough to build big towns if we use the untapped spaces on the outskirts. No, even a city isn’t impossible.”

The promises of the madam were as sweet as her smile. It was like honey to a bear. It was a fresh pipping meat stew lying in front of them after a day of hard work.

Gulp.

The officers’ eyes swam. They all knew how valuable the land was. One cannot earn and own anything unless the noble presiding allowed you to. Or the King of Rutherford gave it to you, which is almost impossible for them.

The value of their land would stack over time as the village grows. A few officers who knew of the madam’s skill smiled. It was a done deal.

“I’ll join.”

“Let me follow you!”

“I will follow my liege!”

Excitement brood all over the tents. The offer of the Madam was an enormous temptation. A few even gave their answers as fast as lightning. They feared the Madam would backtrack from her promises and pull out from the deal.

The captain, named Janus, smirked. He had already completed his role. The villain for this plan. Madam’s plan succeeded.

What else can he say now? He knew the Madam already duped the others. Where could they get such a good deal? When nobles parted with their lands, most would feel like they were being skinned. At most, they would only give monetary rewards.

One by one, all the officers of the knight took their stand. Even Lady Liene and Auburn agreed. In the end, he was the only one who remained.

Everyone was looking at him, waiting for his answer. One of his old friends nudged him with an elbow. At least his new lord was kind enough to give the land. They don’t know that he was already part of this scheme all along.

Anyway, thinking for a moment. It’s indeed a good deal. Not something you can simply get from those stuck-up old nobles. The madam was still the best!

“Of course, I’ll join.”

***

A few villagers who remained in the village assisted the soldiers. Along with reserved soldiers, they helped in crafting makeshift carts. With it, they dragged the large carcasses of the wolves. They would then bring the remains to another side of the village to be processed.

Upon arrival, they would strip the corpses of their valuables. The tough pelts and sharp fangs of the Death wolves were best-sellers in the capital. The wolf pelts were good for insulating heat during winter. It was also a rare ingredient in crafting armors for the adventurers and knights.

The Death wolves’ fangs were the main blockbusters. Those greedy merchants would surely love these goods. After all, it was a key ingredient in crafting master swords.

Every blacksmith would do their best to get such ingredients. After all, these were rare goods that could only be found on the northern border. As for the meat, it was a good feed for the horses. Although, it’s poisonous to humans. It was a delicacy for the horses. A portion of perfectly nutritious food to strengthen and increase the quality of the stallions.

Anyway, while everyone was resting, one man wanted to but cannot.

With dark circles dripping below his eyes, Auburn toiled and led the processing of the wolves. He gave a quick lesson to the villagers and reserved soldiers on how to do it. After all, someone must properly handle the troublesome parts such as the claws of the wolves since it’s poisonous.

After a few tries, the villagers learned how to do it. They stacked pelts, meat, and fangs as soon as the villagers and reserved soldiers caught the drift on how to do things.

With his one eye closed, Auburn looked at Leine with a toothy smile. “Sister, can I get my rest now? Pretty please?

Lady Leine only gave Auburn an eyeful before turning away.

With gritted teeth, Auburn nag her sister. “Come on, Sis! I still need to make traps later!”

“Finish that batch, then sleep.” Lady Leine finally relented. Although she knew her brother was already dead tired. She still needed his help, since he was the only expert in handling the corpse of magical beasts.

In a jiffy, Auburn dashed like a wind, finishing the batch with his eyes halfway to being closed. With a victorious smile, Auburn looked at his sister. “Sis! I’m done.”

“Go sleep then.” Lady Leine felt a little guilt about her little brother. After all, the battle had drained Auburn to the bone. An entire night of strafing in the dark required a great deal of concentration. In short, it was tiresome and a pain in the ass.

Not waiting for any reply. Auburn fell on the land, flat. His snores reverberating throughout the grassy field.

4