Chapter 35: The Dragoness of Gisvold [2]
143 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 35: The Dragoness of Gisvold [2]

After leaving the three little kids in the excellent hands of their godmother, the Baron immediately invited Septharion to brief him of the events. They had already sent a letter to him in advance. Still, it was lacking a bit of detail. He still wished for a first-hand account from someone he knew and trust.

The Baron led Septharion straight to the office room, along with Davin. The office room carried a unique flowery scent. The aroma came from the flower candle laying nearby the table. It was one of the exclusive products of the Town of Gisvold. It comes from the various breeds of flowers that people knew Gisvold for. A simple product whose origin came from the wild ideas of Madam Annise.

Of course, until now, poor Davin’s father, the Baron, didn’t realize that his son was the middle-aged man in front of him. After all, Davin looked like a brutish, seasoned warrior. His face was far from the sleek and handsome face he was proud of before.

The baron thought that the brutish man before him was one of the new hires of Knight Levo. Though he was curious, he knew important things must come first.

As for Septharion, the old man simply went with the flow. He held his breath, finding joy at Davin’s expense. He was doing his best not to laugh after seeing the crumbling face of the esquire.

The esquire was trying hard to let his father naturally recognize him. The esquire had this hope that he was still recognizable despite his ‘fresh’ look.

The old burly knight pulled something from the sac. Then he went straight to the point. Septharion brought forward another letter entrusted to him by the Madam.

After seeing the letter, the Baron took it and pulled out a letter knife, removing the seal. A sharp glint flashed in his face. He read who the enemies were and couldn’t help but frown. “Death wolves? What kind of luck do Levo and Annise have? I already heard it from the first messenger you’ve sent. But this is just amazing!”

“I agree with you, Baron.” Septharion echoed the baron’s sentiment. The couple was like bait. Wherever they go - a lot of accidents occur. Nevertheless, they would always flip back to their benefit.

Baron let out a short laugh. He rang the calling bell laying on his scroll filled the table. Soon, a butler entered. He ordered the butler to deliver his message to the barracks as soon as possible. “Get them prepared before afternoon. Make sure they’re ready before noon. We will rush to aid their old boss so they better shape up.”

The butler bowed. “Yes, Baron.” He then closed the door to the room, though not before throwing a few weird glances at Davin. The middle-aged man was looking at him with hopeful eyes. The butler felt a bit bothered by the excessive enthusiasm coming from the man.

The Baron shifted his gaze at Septharion like he was meeting an old friend.

“Anyway, Anise is still as sneaky as always. The benefits she offers this time are quite tempting. After all, business is business. Friendship is friendship.” Baron Gisvold chortled, closing and folding back the letter. He then put it inside his drawer. “I’ll prepare for the reinforcement. It’ll take at least half a day. We’ll arrive at Lothar before sunset.”

“Haha. Nothing beats the madam. She’s at least four to five steps ahead of us.” Septharion chortled. “Still, let me express my thanks for accepting the Lord Knight’s request. Consider it I owe you one.”

Waving his hand, the Baron signaling that it was nothing. “I’m also going to earn from this, anyway.”

Septharion nodded and smiled like a gentle grandfather. Though his mind swam in a different direction. He wished to see what would happen when the baron and the baroness realized that the middle-aged-looking man behind him was Davin. He especially anticipated the reaction of the Baroness of Gisvold.

“Oh, I almost forgot. Did Levo said something to me? I believe Annise would not include that in the letter.” The Baron grinned. He had been a friend of Levo for quite a long time, and he knew the knight would send a few personal messages to him.

“You know him well, alright.” Septharion snickered. “He told me to tell you this. Bring your ass here. We have a pack of feed for your horses. Bring the lady dragon. She’ll enjoy the show.”

“As expected, she just wants to battle with my wife after killing the wolves.” The baron nodded. “I also want to fight him again to test my skill. Do you think I will win Septharion?”

The old knight simply grinned in reply. He knew too well what will be the result. A golden knight versus a silver knight. Well, unless the baron had improved since the last time. The results wouldn’t deviate too much from the last time.

“Well, not that I’m expecting to win against that monster. Anyway, what are you going to do now, Septharion?” The Baron stood up and asked.

“I’ll assist you Baron if you need my help.” The old man grinned. He wished to follow the baron around, skittering in the shadows until the baron and the baroness finally discover the inevitable state of their only son.

The baron nodded, finding it nice to accompany this old, powerful fellow. “Oh, Septharion, I almost forgot. You’re among the trainers of Levo’s army, right?”

“Yes, Lord Baron. I, along with the knight, the madam, and Lady Leine,” Septharion said. It was here. He could feel that the question he was waiting for was coming.

“Great! How’s my son doing in the army. Anyway, better drop those honorifics. Just call me Callias just like the old times.” A light of curiosity flickered about the status of his only son.

Septharion’s eyes turned into slits as he held back his desire to guffaw. He peeked at Davin and saw the esquire’s face scrunching like he had swallowed a fist-sized stone. “Cough. Don’t worry about him. H-he’s perfectly fine.”

“He’s not causing trouble, right?” A worried looked drifted into the baron’s brows. He knew his son too well. Davin was a known womanizer before he went into the army under the orders of his wife. He stopped for a moment. “Or knocked someone up?”

“Of course not! He is doing really great, Callias.” The signature elderly mirth appeared on the old knight’s face. “Though there is a minor problem.”

“That’s good to hear, then. As for the little problem, let that brat suffer a little to be a better man. I don’t want him to always hide behind me and Cecille when he makes trouble.” Baron Callias sighed in relief. “His pretty face also needs to get a little mug to make him look more mature.”

Middle-aged face Davin: “_”.

“R-right” Septharion answered. He was finding it more and more difficult to maintain his poker face now. It was getting so damn good. It was not a mistake to accept this mission. He closed his eyes for a moment to thank madam and the knight for this opportunity to witness the fun.

The baron shifted his eyes to the side, smiling in Davin’s direction. “Anyway, Septharion, care to introduce me to this new ‘old’ buddy of ours.”

Davin froze like a statue. His face turning into a scowl akin to a middle-aged man whose life had been saddled with troubles and fears.

Upon the words of the Baron, Septharion’s last defense broke down. He guffawed like there was no tomorrow as pointed at Callias face. “Hahaha.”

The baron frowned and gazed back at the middle-aged face esquire. “Why is he laughing?”

Septharion bellowed louder, his voice enough to be heard throughout the whole mansion. His white beard swung left and right. He held his belly, smacking his feet after witnessing the paling face of the esquire.

A few maids even stopped and put their ears on the wall, curious about the events occurring inside the baron’s office.

Davin gritted his teeth and gazed straight at his father’s eyes. His mouth opened slowly, “Father.”

Baron Gisvold froze. The voice was extremely familiar. It was the same as his son, whom he sent for an apprenticeship under the Golden Knight Levo a year ago. Yes, only a year ago. His once dashing son, who looked like him when he was young.

The Baron rubbed his eyes and ears, wondering if he was hallucinating or what. He then threw a hard look at Davin, scrutinizing every detail. Every detail.

Davin choked a little, a few drops of tears forming on the edges of his eyes.

“It’s me.”

Baron Gisvold turned his eyes at the old knight rolling on the floor. The inevitable had finally dawned on him. He felt a little parched as the middle-aged man looked at him like he was his daddy. His tongue felt salty to utter the right words after seeing the once handsome young man before him looking older than his father.

“S-son?”

“Dad.”

“…”

3