INTERLUDE : EARTH 5A
52 7 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

EARTH 5A

Day 452; 0642 (Morning)
Focus: TL7

TL7: "Bernard Miller is it? Hmm…Miss, you understand what that man has done, yet you still ask this of me?"

TL7 creased his brows as he answered the woman with questions of his own.

[Interesting. She wants me to admit certain...certain observation records in public...]

TL7: "Hum, hum. Very well, I'll play your game. However, I must warn you ahead of time, you may not like what you hear. Do you still wish for me to proceed?"

The woman with the peacock hat stared at TL7 with unmoving eyes. She was calm and poised, showing no intention of backing down. TL7 took this as a sign to proceed.

TL7: "Bernard Miller. He is a man that broke protocol and endangered his team due to a personal grudge."

"To make things worse, his ineptness had caused fatal damage to the wrong recipient. For this, the 1st Beta Phase suffered its first loss even before the completed force-transfer of test subjects. I'll spare you additional details, as you likely have been briefed on the subject matter already. As for his punishment…"

TL7 paused before continuing.

TL7: "...you are aware that we take insubordination seriously around here, correct?"

"Let's just say that his punishment was a form of 'equivalent exchange'. I hope you understand the implications behind what that means."

Peacock Hat: "Yes. I understand. I also understand that after my father  arrived on Halios -- without the aid of a capsule -- several...several incidents occurred."

Visible pain in her eyes appeared as if she had remembered something unpleasant. However, the memory did not stop her from continuing.

Peacock Hat: "What I want to know is, how did you manage to lose the whereabouts of my father?"

[Shit. How'd she know about this?] TL7 thought to himself.

Closing his eyes, TL7 took a breath, then calmly responded.

TL7: "He escaped confinement. In the meantime, two teams -- one Pre-Alpha and one Alpha -- have been tasked to locate and detain him."

TL7's curt response did not seem to satisfy the woman, so she pressed him for details.

Peacock Hat: "How did-"

Annoyed, TL7 cut her off by saying what she wanted to hear.

TL7: "He took advantage of his resilient regenerative abilities and repeatedly bashed his head against the reinforced walls of the containment room specifically designed to secure him. He did this until a weakness in the structure developed."

The woman grimaced as she imagined her father slamming his head against the walls of the room like a sledgehammer -- his skull cracking and deforming with every impact, only to regenerate back to its original state, then once again slammed into the same location on the wall; brain matter, tissue, and fluids spreading across the area of impact like a butterfly mosaic.

After a slight pause, TL7 continued.

"From there, he used his fingers like chisels to slowly carve his way out of the room; this took time, but that was something he had plenty of. As for how any of this had gone undiscovered by the security detail and those assigned to observe him, I'll get to that later."

"Afterwards, he found his way into a section of the underground base which contained several cells containing beasts and other creatures meant for observation and research. While setting them free, he was maimed and injured several times, but ultimately, he achieved his goal."

"Those that had been freed rampaged throughout the base. Some fought amongst themselves causing severe damage to the base's internal structure; a few wandered the vast halls, curious as to why they had been captured and who their captors were; the intelligent ones searched for others to set free in order to sow more chaos; the remainder searched for a means of escape -- some through brute force, while others through stealth."

"Amidst that racket, Bernard Miller patiently healed himself with his regenerative abilities, then promptly escaped."

Almost everyone listening made strange faces as TL7 regaled the incident. They knew how strict and deligent the organization was, so it made no sense for a person under heavy confinement to escape so easily.

"Now, to refer back to how Bernard Miller's activity had gone unnoticed...I'll say what everyone must be thinking: he had help. As for who, why, and how...it is still under investigation. However, there is evidence to suggest that at least one person other than Bernard Miller was involved in his escape. With that said, nothing and no one has been ruled out."

"Does that answer your question? Or should I describe the gory details?"

Peacock Hat: "No...th-that is enough."

The woman shivered as she slumped over and retreated back into her chair.

[Hmm. I was expecting a follow-up question, like: 'what impact does Bernard Miller's escape have with the ongoing phase?' But she quickly shrunk back in fright. Something feels off.]

In order to verify his suspicions, he made a small inquiry.

TL7: "Are you certain?"

Peacock Hat: "..."

[Strange…]

He found it difficult to read the woman. She came off strong-willed at first, but withered like a dying rose towards the end.

[Well, I suppose it does involve family, so emotions are likely affecting her decision making process.]

While still in thought TL7's attention was grabbed by another VIP -- A man wearing a gaudy purple suit, sitting two seats away from the woman with the peacock hat.

Purple Suit: "Pardon the interruption but, since we are on the topic of potential traitors, what are your thoughts on the recent disappearances of test subjects and en mass resignations of our talent?"

TL7: "..."

Purple Suit: "..."

TL7: "Are you addressing me or someone else?"

Asked TL7 while lifting a brow in question.

Purple Suit: "I am asking you. I figured 'why not ask the only person who looks like they don't want to be here?'"

TL7: "You are correct."

Purple Suit: "Hmm?"

TL7: "I do not want to be here."

Purple Suit: "Fuahahaha! You're quite honest aren't you?"

TL7 ignored the hysterical man's comment and corrected him on something he had said earlier.

TL7: "Hmm. I don't recall ever alluding to the topic of traitors while responding to previous inquiries. If you want to say something, say it plainly. Not all of us here have the patience for riddles and word play."

Seeing that the man still had not settled down, TL7 gave him a stern look and spoke with a solemn tone.

TL7: "This is your only warning. I am not one to forgive those who misquote me for personal gain."

After saying this, the room became eerily silent.

Many knew of TL7 only through rumor and secondhand accounts. Even without SC4's backing, he was someone to be feared.

The purple suit man's laughter abruptly stopped, but he didn't look remorseful.

Purple Suit: "My apologies. I thought it was the only way to get your attention."

It was a blatant lie.

TL7: "Think of something else."

Purple Suit: "..."

Growing impatient, TL7 growled at the man.

TL7: "Your point. Get to it."

Purple Suit: "Ah-haha…"

The man nervously laughed as he formulated what he wanted to say.

Purple Suit: "Ahem. What I wanted to ask was...do you think the recent resignations of employees, the disappearances of a growing number of test subjects from the 1st Beta Phase, and Mr. Miller's recent escape have a common connection?"

TL7: "Officially, my opinion on the matter is irrelevant. However, I will tell you that the events you have mentioned all have a common timeframe."

Purple Suit: "Tch."

Unsatisfied with TL7's response, the man in the purple suit clicked his tongue.

TL7: "Hmm? Is there something else you would like to add?"

Purple Suit: "Oh. N-nothing.

TL7: "Good."

◊◊◊◊◊◊

Day 452; 0647 (Morning)
Focus: TL7 & SC4

SC4: "Oh noes! Soo sca-wwy! I'm so scared!"

SC4 teased TL7 while TL7 talked to Desmond Tesh -- the man in the purple suit.

SC4: "Hey, hey, hey! Maybe next time, you should remember their names! Gahahahaha!"

He continued to pester TL7 until the conversation ended.

SC4: "Whooh! You made my heart race! I was on the edge of my seat! Speaking of the edge-"

TL7: "Shut up."

SC4 pretended to quiver while holding his arms with his hands. He wanted to make TL7 even more uncomfortable while the event continued in the background.

TL7: "If you weren't such a skilled ventriloquist-"

SC4: "Hmmm? What's that you say? Only you can hear me talk, you say? Gahahaha!"

TL7: "Grrr."

SC4: "Woof!"

TL7: "You damn basta-"

SC4: "Oh, you should apologize to my wife later."

TL7: "...w-what?!"

SC4: "The one with that fancy feather hat. You were pretty...kuh…pretty harsh!"

TL7 narrowed his eyes for a moment.

TL7: "She isn't your wife.

SC4: "Is so."

TL7: "Is not."

SC4: "Is...pffft. Gahaha."

TL7: "Please work on your jokes."

Before the two could continue their banter, they both felt a cold chill course through their bones.

Instinctively, the two looked over to where the woman wearing the peacock hat was sitting. As their eyes made contact, the two men shivered in fear.

Subconsciously, SC4 started reciting a quote from William Congreve's 'The Mourning Bride'.

SC4: "'Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor Hell a fury like a woman scor-'"

Before he could finish, however, TL7 interrupted him.

TL7: "We're fucked…"

◊◊◊◊◊◊

Day 452; 1100 (Morning)
Focus: TL7 & SC4

As the event reached its halfway mark, SC4 and TL7 stealthily left the conference room and made their way to SC4's office.

SC4: "This two hour lunch is a godsend."

TL7: "So, what did you want to talk about...aside from, you know."

SC4 pretended not to hear the latter half of TL7's question and proceeded ahead.

SC4: "I want to know your unofficial opinion on what's currently happening. Your escapee; the missing test subjects; our personnel changes. What are your thoughts?"

TL7 took a moment to collect himself before responding.

TL7: "So you are also interested in my opinion...well, I suppose you would be, since you know I've been investigating these things on my own."

"I think we have a competitor."

SC4: "...go on."

TL7: "So, you thought the same. This makes things easier. Let's start with the disappearance of over one hundred beta phase test subjects."

"Naturally, without our support, we expected over 70% of the test subjects to die or go missing within the first few days, 95% in the first three months, and 97% in the first year. However, since we intervened with their origin points, the expected number of those killed or have gone missing dropped to 5% within the first year."

"Having said that, with over one hundred reported missing -- not killed, but missing -- it would be easy for one to assume that a person or group is targeting our test subjects. We could also infer that this person or group is skilled enough to avoid the gaze of our observation teams."

"Next is our personnel changes."

"Inevitably, people will get tired of this job -- it is a very demanding job after all. A few changes here and there are normal. However, losing close to a quarter of our entire workforce -- not just in the 4th Research Facility -- in the last few months is rather concerning. Moreover, over half of those who had resigned were absolutely dedicated to their jobs here. This leads me to believe that they had all been headhunted by another organization, either through coercion or bribery."

"Next, we both already know about Bernard Miller, so I won't get into that."

"So, the final puzzle to all of this is Layla's exit from the organization and the note she left behind -- 'Land Acquisition'."

"If we consider the emergence of a rival organization, then acquiring land both here and on Halios makes sense."

"Having been your secretary, Layla is also someone who holds key knowledge of the inner workings of Project Prometheus. I'm actually surprised how easily the organization let her go…"

"Anyhow, if you put all the pieces together, it would make sense for a competitor to steal our talent and kidnap our research subjects."

"There are a few other options, but I feel that this is the most likely outcome, with consideration to the proximity of the occurrences and progression of events."

"I would not be surprised if another tech company were to unveil their own research into full-dive VR -- just as we have -- within the next few months, to elicit interest from investors and potential guinea pigs.”

SC4: "Hmmm. I see."

TL7: "And what exactly is it that you see?"

TL7 asked as he watched SC4 put down his personal phone on top of his oak desk; he had been texting someone while TL7 gave his opinion.

SC4: "As you have said, our thoughts align. However, another matter has been brought up.”

Said SC4 as he tapped his phone.

SC4: “I'd like you to come have dinner with me and my wife."

Creasing his brows, TL7 responded.

TL7: "Your wife?"

SC4: "Yes, my wife and I."

TL7’s thoughts raced as he tried to search his memories. [I don’t remember this guy ever having a wife...oh no...don’t tell me…] 

TL7: "...w-wait...you weren't joking back then were you?"

SC4 only smiled at TL7's question.

TL7: "..."

SC4: "She told me to tell you to bring something important for dinner."

TL7's scalp started to itch, but he remained silent.

TL7: "..."

SC4: "She said, and I quote: 'to bring your life'. Whatever that means, Gahahaha!"

Beads of sweat poured down TL7's face. He thought he had escaped the clutches of that peacock hat wearing woman.

TL7: "You-"

Before he could complain, SC4 interrupted him.

SC4: "Karma, TL7. It's called karma."

---Chapter End

0