Chapter 4: I’d rather be flying in the sky than with spiders in the forest.
178 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
"I hate hills," Insu said between breaths.
 
"We know," Rah'asu grumbled.
 
"Says the one being carried by Andrew." 
 
"I don't mind carrying you Rah'asu." Andrew was easily the strongest in the group. He wondered if Terrans were generally stronger. Rah'asu had also lost even more weight and Andrew could see her ribs beginning to show so there wasn't much to carry.
 
"You really are strong for your size," Insu said again.
 
I still think you should tell him everything. Shimeirin said but Andrew could feel her uncertainty.
 
Only if you think he could keep it a secret. Andrew was pretty sure Insu couldn't keep a secret and he could feel Shimeirin felt the same way no matter how much she tried to hide the thought.
 
You never know... 
 
Andrew focused ahead of him. This had been the biggest hill so far after they had entered what he assumed what were the foothills of the mountain range they would be passing through.
 
"Finally!" Insu said as they reached the top of the hill and sat next to a tree.
 
Andrew let Rah'asu off of his back. "This would be so much easier with better food," Andrew said and thought about how used he was getting to being hungry all the time.
 
"I keep telling you we should have stopped at the fox kin village we passed by a week ago and the mole kin village we passed by two days ago," Insu said as he massaged his feet.
 
"It isn't safe," Rah'asu said as she sat on her haunches and began to survey the area.
 
"I'm more than happy to wait far away while you two flirt," Andrew said again with a smirk.
 
"Please not this discussion again," Rah'asu grumbled.
 
It was now that Andrew noticed the view ahead of him. For the first time since coming to Nael trees weren't blocking his view and he could see the mountains ahead of him. It would still be a while until they left the forest but the view was appreciated. "Finally something besides trees."
 
"My village isn't far from the mountains. There is a hill near my home with the greatest view..." Insu said as he looked further to the west.
 
Andrew sat on a large rock and took in the view. Look familiar?
 
Shimeirin didn't express any familiarity. No.
 
"We need to be careful from now on," Rah'asu said, speaking over the still rambling Insu. "Until now I have been guiding us around all the kin villages I knew about but here we will have to pass extremely close to a spider kin village."
 
Andrew and Shimeirin cringed at hearing there were spider kin. 
 
"Let's find another way," Andrew said with Shimeirin's agreement.
 
"This pass is the only way I can think of getting across safely. We have barely managed to find enough food as is and the slopes of the mountains will have even less. We will starve, not to mention the cold."
 
"Let me go ahead and talk to them." Insu offered. "Spider kin can't be that bad."
 
"To us maybe," Rah'asu said to Insu but glanced at Andrew. "Maybe sending you ahead will be helpful this time."
 
"Leave it to me!" Insu said and got up.
 
"We are still a day or so away. I'll let you know when to go." Rah'asu shook her head.
 
I'm more worried he will say too much. Andrew wished Insu had the smarts to go with his love for conversation. Even knowing when to stop would be an improvement.
 
He's going to bring them right to us. Shimeirin felt conflicted. Andrew could feel Shimeirin had some sort of thoughts about him that brought shame whenever this subject came up.
 
"Please don't bring them right to us." Andrew was pretty sure the request would be forgotten. "No matter how much they ask."
 
"We will discuss the plan tonight Insu," Rah'asu said while giving Andrew a look that she didn't expect much.
 
"Shouldn't need a plan. I'm sure if I ask everything will go fine." Insu said with a big rabbity smile.
 
"I hope so," Rah'asu said and began making her way down the hill.
 
The next few days are going to be interesting. Andrew hoped he was wrong.
 
Shimeirin laughed. Insu does make everything more interesting. I'm glad we met him.
 
Andrew smiled. I think so too. As much as I wish he wouldn't talk so much it certainly has helping me improve my Kin speak.
 
Shimeirin felt some melancholy. I wish I could talk to him too. You have not even told him about me yet.
 
Andrew felt bad. I know, but until we get somewhere safe its probably best keeping you from him so he doesn't go around telling everyone he meets. You heard what Rah'asu said about how the kin feels about Terrans and the bracelets.
 
Shimeirin's melancholy grew. I know, that is why I do not bring it up. Someday though.
 
Yes, someday. Andrew turned from his thoughts and began following the others.
 
Things started getting creepy the next day. What looked like giant neglected spider webs began to show up and the closer they got to the mountains the more common and newer they became.
 
Both Andrew and Shimeirin began to get uncomfortable and Andrew couldn't help but look around in every direction in fear a giant spider would jump out from some shadow. Even Rah'asu looked much more alert and would pause occasionally to sniff the air.
 
Insu was agitated but only because Rah'asu had demanded he stop speaking. Andrew longed for Insu's constant chatter so he could think about something other than spiders.
 
Thankfully the day was uneventful.
 
Midway through the next day Andrew could see Rah'asu becoming nervous. They had already passed by a fresh kill with pieces of bloody fur tangled in a still sticky web. The body itself was nowhere to be seen but Andrew could picture a giant spider sucking its freshly caught rabbit dry of its fluids.
 
Late in the afternoon Rah'asu stopped and sat. "Insu, let me do the talking."
 
Andrew and Insu stopped. Insu by this point had noticed the need for caution and only nodded.
 
"As expected of a Wolf Kin." A voice came from the trees above.
 
"I request passage through the mountains," Rah'asu said without looking towards the voice.
 
"Oh, and why would a Wolf Kin, Rabbit Kin, and a Terran want at Melche's shrine." A different voice from a different direction answered.
 
"I hope to appeal to Melche to send Andrew back to Terra."
 
A third voice, this one lower to the ground, "And why would we care to let one of our enemies through our home?"
 
"I owe him my life. He used his abilities to help me recover from my wounds after the attack on the eastern Wolf Kin."
 
"Yes, I remember hearing about you. The only survivor. Found by the Cricket Tribe and taken to the Western Wolf Kin after being missed by the humans and Terrans." The second voice said.
 
"But why would a Terran help you?" The first asked.
 
Rah'asu looked to Andrew.
 
Andrew had little idea what to say but decided to tell the truth. "I was with a group of my friends when a strange man approached us and promised us many things."
 
"Yes, we know of this man, this supposed Servant of Deity." The third voice said.
 
"My friends accepted his offer and... well, they were my only friends. If they went I would be alone so even though I knew it wasn't a good idea I agreed." Andrew lifted Shimeirin. "I chose Shimeirin. Shimeirin was the only bracelet that felt the same way I did. I don't know what I would be doing right now if I had chosen another but Shimeirin separated me from the others and I ended up in the forest, no friends or anyone. I almost starved to death before I was found by the Wolf Kin. I could tell some of them wanted to kill me but instead, they put me in a cage and had me heal Rah'asu. After Rah'asu was feeling better we left the village and met Insu on the way."
 
"And we are to believe that the Servant would let one of his precious Terrans get lost in the forest to die?" The third voice said.
 
"He did have three others." The second said.
 
"I don't know why but I am here now. I promise I have no intention to harm anyone. I'm not even so sure why everyone is afraid of Terrans." Andrew wasn't sure and Rah'asu wouldn't speak of the subject when he brought it up.
 
"Absurd! You are lying. All Terrans are the same. They harvest the very life of their victims to make themselves more powerful. Why are you any different?" The third asked.
 
Andrew had suspected there was more to Shimeirin. Did you know?
 
Yes. Intense shame came from Shimeirin. It disgusts Shimeirin that Shimeirin can do that. Shimeirin never wanted any sort of power like this.
 
Andrew smiled. Of all the bracelets he could have chosen he was glad it was Shimeirin. If not he was sure he would have been persuaded by now to make use of that power. He only wished his friends hadn't made any huge mistakes. I'm so glad of all I could have become companions with it was you.
 
Shimeirin is glad too. Shimeirin can't imagine being used by someone that would make Shimeirin do that.
 
"No answer?" The first voice interrupted Andrew. "Should we end this right now?"
 
"Sorry, I was talking to Shimeirin." Andrew still wanted to be truthful about everything.
 
"You can speak to it?" The second asked.
 
"Not just speak but we share emotions too."
 
"Are the rumors true?" The second said.
 
"About the winged kin?" The third asked.
 
Shimeirin's emotions began to overflow at the mention of the Winged Kin. Surprise, sorrow, loneliness, anger, longing.
 
Shimeirin? Andrew was not only curious about this new information about his mysterious companion but worried as well. Nothing good came from that mix of emotions. Shimeirin didn't answer. I'm here for you when you are ready.
 
"We can discuss that later." The first said.
 
"If he can talk to the bracelet we might be able to find a weakness." The third said.
 
"Can you remove the bracelet?" The second asked.
 
"No." Andrew had tried but it hadn't moved more than his skin would stretch.
 
"Maybe if we cut his arm off?" The third offered.
 
"Please don't," Andrew said as he reflexively grabbed his wrist. "I like my arm and Shimeirin has been a good friend."
 
"If we cut your bracelet off we won't need to kill you." The first said.
 
"Is that the only way?" Rah'asu asked.
 
"Yeah," Insu spoke for the first time. "Andrew has been a great companion and I've never seen him kill anything, not even a rabbit for dinner."
 
"I can see that." The second said. "But what is one Rabbit Kin and one Wolf Kin? He is most likely using you until he rejoins his companions and then will kill you."
 
"Andrew would never do that," Rah'asu said. "All these weeks I have traveled with him I have not once felt he was a danger to me. He has carried me in my tiredness, cared for my wounds, and was patient with my poor teaching skills as I taught him kin speak. He even tolerated the rabbit's constant noise making."
 
"Cloud," Insu said at the last comment.
 
Rah'asu growled at him. 
 
"Cloud." Andrew joined in.
 
Rah'asu closed her eyes before opening them again and rolling them. "Even Shimeirin is harmless. I have seen Shimeirin attempt many times to help me use magic to hunt for food and I know it isn't a lack of skill that prevents Shimeirin from succeeding. When Andrew was sharing his vitality with me to heal my wounds I could feel Shimeirin and all I felt was compassion and concern for me."
 
"You have very faithful friends." The first said. "I am tempted to trust them."
 
"The chief will never allow it." The second said.
 
"I am curious." The third added.
 
"The opportunity to find weaknesses in our foes is tempting." The second conceded.
 
"I will return to the chief and inform him about the Terran." The first said.
"Take them to the small pond and wait there." 
 
Andrew saw a branch shake but nothing else to inform him the owner of the first voice had left. Andrew then turned his attention to two shapes, one emerging from the forest to his left and the other falling from a tree behind him.
 
Two giant spiders stared at him.
 
They looked pretty much like a generic hairy spider, but that didn't do much to ease the feelings Andrew got when looking at them as Insu and even Rah'asu took a step back at their appearance. Andrew thought about a horror movie he had seen once that involved spiders.
 
Not much later the spiders led them to a small pond. It wasn't much, but the still water was a beautiful green and the clearing on the opposite side looked like a great place for a picnic with the tall green grass and wildflowers.
 
"How come you never told me about Shimeirin?" Insu asked. He looked angry.
 
"Because you talk too much," Andrew said.
 
"I would love to talk to Shimeirin! I'm angry you kept another companion I could talk to away from me!" Andrew had never seen Insu angry.
 
"So this is what makes you angry?" Andrew shook his head. "Guess I'm not surprised."
 
Andrew focused on Shimeirin and found the same mix of emotions. Are you OK? And received no reply. He was going to have to leave them alone for now.
 
"What kind of things does Shimeirin like?" Insu asked.
 
"Can we talk about this later?" Andrew said, partly because he didn't feel like this with spiders around and partly because Shimeirin's emotions we affecting him and he didn't want to talk either.
 
"Fine," Insu said with a huff. 
 
The spiders observed the group silently and no one spoke until seven new spiders appeared to their right from the undergrowth.
 
"Terran." An older, scarred spider said. His voice only held a hint of age and demanded attention to it. It was the voice of an experienced leader. "Sit on the ground and grab your knees. Spider kin, be ready."
 
At the chief's word, fire and dirt spears appeared around all the spider kin.
 
Andrew's group spent the next few hours talking to the spider kin. First was discussing much of what they had with the first group. Later they discussed what they knew about the bracelet but Shimeirin was still silent and neither group knew much so Andrew wasn't sure much was accomplished.
 
"Tomorrow you will be escorted to the pass." The chief said when twilight came. There were a few mutters from the spider kin but no one questioned the chief. "I have come to see much of your character and believe you intend my tribe no harm. You will not attempt to come near the village and we will not give you any food. If you survive the trip then it will be up to the winged kin to deal with you."
 
The chief and two of the other spider kin left and they ended up spending the night surrounded by spiders.
 
***
 
She was flying over the ocean.
 
The sky was blue and only a few clouds drifted lazily by and the smell of the ocean came faintly from below as she rode a thermal.
 
Higher and higher she went.
 
There was nothing better than this. She knew her aunt would be angry at her for going by herself so far away from land, again, but that is only if she had realized she had gone.
 
That was later. 
 
Her wings were getting tired now. She never had been able to fly as long as the others but she didn't need to. She could still fly longer but began heading home. It wasn't too far, she was smart enough to not go too far, and at this height she could still see the coast in the distance. She glanced behind her at the thought and, through her long golden hair that was flapping in the wind, saw the coast.
 
It was so tempting to stay out but turned around anyway.
 
The return was easy as she gained speed as she returned towards the ground. She was careful to not go too fast because she always got nervous at the thought and didn't enjoy diving towards the ground like many of the others.
 
She never saw why people needed to rush everywhere. How could you enjoy the sights, the feel of the sun on your back, or the smell when the wind rushed passed your face and the ground passed you?
 
Her home grew as she approached. It was beautiful, having been carved from the white rock of the nearby mountain.
 
Melche's temple was the next thing she saw. The tall, grand building was off in the distance to the south and was flanked by the mountains that separated the valley from the rest of the continent.
 
She looked from the temple to the city and back. She knew she was forgetting about something.
 
It wasn't until she was closer to the city when she remembered. There was a ceremony at the temple today and all of the over five hundred residents were required to attend. It wasn't for a few more hours though. It also meant her aunt was probably busy and wouldn't notice if she was gone for a few more hours.
 
So, instead of heading back to the city she turned towards the temple. She wanted to find a good spot to watch from. She knew of several good places but only if she went early. If there was anyone there already the best spots would be hard to get to.
 
The temple was quite far from the coast and if anyone hadn't left the city it would be almost nightfall by the time they arrived. So far she hadn't seen any others flying to or from the temple but she was coming from the side.
 
She hoped no one was watching this side of the temple as she would only be escorted to the others if she was found.
 
Light glinted from the tower that rose from the west side of the temple. It was the Bell. She had been named after this bell. Shimeirin. See Bell.
 
The Bell was a beacon. It guided, announced, and stood as a symbol of their prosperity. All one had to do was to see the Bell to be reminded of this.
 
See Bell. See the Bell. Her mother had given her this name in hopes that she would stand as a symbol and guide to others. She was none of that. Just the thought of talking to someone she didn't know made her nervous and with those she did know she did not speak much.
 
She wished she could overcome that but no matter how hard she tried she ended up being unable to speak or running away. 
 
She landed just a bit away from the temple but had never been the best at landings so stumbled a bit before she managed to catch herself.
 
She brushed her long hair with her fingers to get rid of the worst of the tangles, and then tied her hair in the back with a piece of string. Next, she inspected her body to make sure her clothes had nothing wrong with them.
 
She thought about washing herself off in the spring that ran by the river but decided it was best to hurry.
 
She cursed her petite body as she climbed the hill the temple sat on. She had been made fun of constantly as she was among the smallest children her age and wasn't strong either. Her white wings also brought on bullying as well. She envied the beautiful feathers the others had.
 
Sure he wasn't the only one with white wings but that didn't make the teasing stop. Her only redeeming feature, she thought, were her decent sized breasts. They weren't the biggest but she had been worried that would be something else she would be made fun of if they hadn't grown.
 
This side of the temple didn't have any doors but had several windows she could get through. She looked around to make sure no one was coming or in sight. She could make out a large group already gathered in front of the north entrance, a few groups walking through the woods, and several others circling above the temple as they looked for a place to land. She would have to be quick.
 
With a quick push of the wings and a (pathetic) jump, she was through the window and in the stairwell that led to the Bell above.
 
She walked down to the door that led to the back chamber of the temple. Only the priests and their guests were allowed back here but it was the best way to get to a small opening that connected this room to the ceremonial chamber. If there was no one in the room it would be easy to get to the window and out of sight.
 
She stopped at the door at the bottom of the stairwell and listened. It was silent. She then opened the door and peered through. The room was empty so she slowly entered.
 
The room was large enough to comfortably fit thirty people. There were several desks on the edges of the room as well as a long shelf filled with scrolls and another filled with something he didn't recognize. She wanted to look closer but voices in the ceremonial chamber made her run and fly up to the hole in the wall that separated the two rooms.
 
It was barely big enough to fit her and keep out of sight but it worked. Now she just had to wait...
 
***
 
Andrew woke up. Had he just had a dream about Shimeirin?
 
Andrew. Shimeirin's voice came not long after he woke up. You saw it?
 
You're a woman. I suspected you were but wasn't sure. Andrew thought back to the dream. He had seen one of Shimeirin's memories? It wasn't the first time he had a dream about flying over the ocean but this was new.
 
Yes. 
 
How come you never told me. You always acted as if the bracelets didn't have gender.
 
We don't. Do you see breasts, or... other things... Shimeirin's embarrassment was expected.
 
I guess that's true, but it doesn't change the fact you were a woman. Your personality should still be the same at least. What happened to your body anyways?
 
Shimeirin was hesitant. Shimeirin doesn't know, but the Servant is responsible.
 
Andrew became extremely angry. No wonder she was so scared of him. We need to find him. Change you back.
 
Shimeirin... Shimeirin is fine with you. Like this. Shimeirin's feelings showed she wasn't being truthful, at least entirely. Shimeirin feels safer with you, with Rah'asu, with Insu. Shimeirin has been happy traveling with you. Shimeirin thought Shimeirin would be forced to kill like the others. Andrew is gentle. Andrew understands.
 
That doesn't mean you should give up on your body! Andrew wanted to be angry at her attitude but only felt sympathy. He knew that if he was in her place he would be tempted just the same. Not having a body. I'll stay with you no matter what. You know I wouldn't abandon you like that. I do enjoy your company, especially all the secret conversations we have.
 
Shimeirin began to do the closest thing she could to crying.
 
Andrew held the bracelet and cried the tears she couldn't.
 
Any guesses on who Shimeirin is based on?
 
3