Chapter 11: Flying Rat Man
93 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Everyone is so scared of you. Shimeirin said as she and Andrew watched another person move away from them.
 
Yeah... Andrew felt like a monster or freak.
 
Andrew glanced around him again.
 
It was well after nightfall and most people had gone home, although there was still a fair amount of activity. The only obvious people were drunks or less reputable looking people, all of whom avoided him. Occasionally he would glimpse shadows moving through the buildings but he could never get a good glimpse at him. 
 
"Think he'll come here?" Insu said as they stood in a poorly lit area in the slums of the capital.
 
"If Batman fights crime like everyone says, it would make sense to look here." Rah'asu said as she watched the surrounding city more suspiciously than usual. "I feel like a rabbit that hopped into the middle of my Kin's village."
 
Even Insu looked nervous. "Why does this place make me feel so uncomfortable?"
 
Andrew wasn't too nervous. He'd seen pictures of more dangerous looking slums on earth. "I don't think we need to worry." Andrew hoped there weren't any crime lords willing to take a chance on a Terran.
 
Rah'asu glanced to Andrew. "If we get separated..."
 
"If we get separated, we should meet near the castle." Andrew said.
 
Rah'asu nodded. "That's a good idea."
 
"We still haven't found a place to sleep." Insu rubbed his eyes.
 
"I'm planning on staying awake the whole night." Andrew didn't want to miss any opportunity to find Isaac. Still, it was all he could do to keep his eyes open.
 
"You can sleep there." Rah'asu told Insu. "We'll wake you up after everything has happened. Or leave you here."
 
"No. I don't want to miss anything." Insu slapped himself in the face.
 
"Just sit down. Rest your eyes. Maybe a minute or two will help." Rah'asu began to push Insu to a dark corner.
 
Can we sleep? Shimeirin feels just as sleepy as you, Andrew. Rah'asu will wake us up. Andrew could feel Shimeirin's emotions had become very cloudy. He had never gone this long without sleep so this was new to him.
 
Sorry Shimeirin. 
 
Maybe Shimeirin will see if Shimeirin can sleep without Andrew going to sleep.
 
I wonder if you can sleep for both of us.
 
"Maybe we should move somewhere else?" Rah'asu said.
 
Andrew looked around just in case Rah'asu had noticed something dangerous. 
 
"I think no one will do anything here now that they know we are here. We should also disguise you, Andrew." Rah'asu said and began shuffling through the packs. "You're short so we should make you look like a child? Maybe cover your face?"
 
"Good idea." Andrew stooped over and began digging through his pack. "For now, I'll cover my face."
 
"Let's make him look really fat." Insu said and began pulling his old clothes from his pack.
 
"Not if we're using your old clothes." Andrew said and crinkled his nose at the thought.
 
"The smell will help keep people away from us." Insu said and approached Andrew with a pile of clothes.
 
"When did you get all of this?" Rah'asu said as she backed away from Insu.
 
"People just leave this lying around here. It's wet, but that doesn't matter." Insu shoved the clothes at Andrew.
 
Andrew backed away. "It smells like someone peed on them."
 
Insu sniffed them. "OK. Maybe we should clean them first."
 
Andrew, make him get rid of them.
 
"Throw them away." Andrew wholly agreed with Shimeirin.
 
"But..." Insu stopped himself. "All right." He dropped them on the spot. "I think I should wash my bag out."
 
"Some sense for once?" Rah'asu looked at Insu in shock.
 
"To be honest, the smell was giving me a headache." Insu kicked at the pile of urine-soaked clothes.
 
"You're not touching me until you clean yourself." Andrew told Insu.
 
"Speaking of which..." Insu glanced around. "Where do they keep water here?"
 
Andrew glanced around. "If there isn't a stream, there is probably a well."
 
"A well?" Rah'asu looked at him curiously. "Another English word."
 
"Oh, sorry." Andrew still hadn't kicked the habit of using English to fill in his language gaps. "A well is a hole in the ground where water collects."
 
"I see. I want to see one of these 'wells.' I need to refill my waterskin too." Rah'asu grabbed her water skin and shook it.
 
Andrew's was getting empty too. He was sure it wouldn't be too hard to find one nearby. Now that he thought about it he had seen several throughout the capital. "I think I saw one earlier."
 
"First." Rah'asu lifted some of her old skins. "We cover your head with this."
 
"OK." Andrew took the skin.
 
"Is that it?" Insu said and ran towards the thing that might be a well.
 
The thing in question was a square set of stones with a hole in the middle and a roof made of rooting wood planks that had ropes attached to buckets. This was a well or a toilet. They had been doing their business behind buildings until now so either would be welcome.
 
Insu ran towards the well and jumped down the hole. "Gonna wash myself first!"
 
"No!" Rah'asu yelled and chased after Insu but was too late. She looked down the hole, "I'm not getting you out of there!"
 
We're not going to drink the water now are we? Shimeirin was both amused and disgusted.
 
Nope. No way am I drinking that. Andrew shook his head and stood next to Rah'asu. "Should we put up a sign telling people not to drink the water?" 
 
"I can't see anything, and it's a lot deeper than I thought it would be!" A voice came from below them.
 
"I would if I knew how to write." Rah'asu shrugged.
 
"Right, I only know how to write in roman numerals." Andrew shrugged.
 
Rah'asu gave him a look but before she could say anything her gaze shot to her left. "Someone is here."
 
Andrew looked around. There were a few vagrants sleeping nearby, but he didn't see anyone that concerned him.
 
Someone fell from the sky and landed right next to them. 
 
Both Andrew and Rah'asu jumped back, a flame appeared above Rah'asu's head showing she was ready to use her magic if she needed to.
 
"What are you doing to the well?" A low, gruff voice said. It sounded familiar. 
 
The figure was taller than Andrew but still short by Calorin standards. He was dressed in black and was wearing a mask that looked like a poor attempt to look like Batman.
 
It's him! Andrew went from scared to excited.
 
Isaac? Shimeirin became cautiously excited.
 
"We have nothing to do with the idiot that jumped in." Rah'asu glanced at the well.
 
Rah'asu! Shimeirin was disappointed.
 
"Get him out right now and I will decide." The man said.
 
"Isaac, how long have you been watching us?" Andrew wanted to see how this Batman would react. 
 
Batman turned to Andrew. "I am Batman!"
 
"I am Batman." Andrew mimicked the voice Batman used in the newer movies.
 
Batman took a step forward. "I protect this city from those who harm it! Hundreds of people use this water and I will allow no one to pollute it!"
 
Andrew looked towards the well. "Too late for that, not only was he handling urine soaked clothes, but he hasn't bathed in weeks. Well, he's bathing right now."
 
Rah'asu sighed and extinguished her magical fire before turning to the well. "I'm dropping a rope, idiot! Grab it and come out!"
 
A voice from below, "I'm not done yet!"
 
Rah'asu grabbed a bucket. "I hope this hits him." And dropped it.
 
A splash. "Hey!"
 
Rah'asu tisked. "Missed."
 
Andrew turned to Isaac. "Batman? Really?"
 
Isaac ignored him and watched Rah'asu. "I will take you to the garrison. Poisoning wells is illegal."
 
"We visited Lisbeth today." Andrew hoped this would get a reaction. "Said you were playing at being Batman."
 
Isaac flinched. "I have nothing to do with the Terrans."
 
The rope became taut and Andrew could hear splashing. "Pull me up! I can't climb!"
 
Isaac walked over to the well, grabbed the rope, and pulled Insu up with supernatural strength and speed.
 
"Woah!" Insu yelped as Isaac yanked him out of the well by his clothes. Isaac then tossed him and he slid across the ground before coming to a stop five feet away.
 
"Get up!" Isaac yelled.
 
"I need your help Isaac." Andrew was hoping his friend would drop the act already.
 
Is it really him? Shimeirin's excitement was gone now.
 
I think so. He's changing his voice but I can still tell it's him. Andrew hoped. 
 
"I don't help criminals." Isaac said but there was a bit of hesitation.
 
Andrew pulled off the clothes he had covered his head with. "Isaac. If you don't help me, another Terran named Eric will kill me. I also want to go back to Earth. Your help will make things a lot easier."
 
Isaac looked away from Andrew. "I don't deal with Terrans."
 
"What about friends?" Andrew smiled, a little force, a little genuine.
 
"All Terrans are killers and murderers." Isaac's fake voice cracked and more of his normal voice appeared.
 
"Eric could feel it. Lisbeth could too. I have killed no one." Andrew held up Shimeirin, "Other than Shimeirin I'm still the same Andrew. Well, more rugged..."
 
Isaac looked back to Andrew and studied him. "I'm not safe to be around." He had completely dropped his Batman voice now.
 
"If I can survive giant transforming spiders, I can survive my best friend." Andrew smiled.
 
"I kill people just by touching them! Sometimes even when I don't want to! No, I never want to!" Isaac clutched his head. "You've never drained someone's life from them! Never felt the rush of power! Felt the euphoria of jumping over buildings or lifting and throwing something even the best body builder could not so much as move!"
 
Andrew became moved at his friend's display. "I saw what this has done to Lisbeth. Eric too. I understand the temptation. Sometimes I wish I had the power, it would make things so much easier, this world less terrifying."
 
Isaac looked at Andrew. "Then why haven't you?"
 
Andrew thought. Was it because he saw what it had done to people? Because he feared killing? No... "Because I could never make Shimeirin do something so horrible as killing someone. If it was just me, I probably would have done it by now. But I love Shimeirin too much to defile her like that."
 
Shimeirin's emotions became a mix of embarrassment, happiness, and reciprocation at the last line. Ehh!!!
 
Isaac only stared at Andrew. It was impossible to see his reaction through the mask, but he was still embarrassed at what he had admitted to think much about it.
 
Finally Isaac spoke, "Shimeirin? Your bracelet?"
 
Andrew had wondered something ever since he had learned about the ceremony that made the bracelets. "Does your bracelet ever speak to you? Other than telling you it's name?"
 
Isaac clutched his head again. "I... don't know. Sometimes I have dreams. Sometimes strange thoughts appear in my head encouraging me to do something. Sometimes emotions flood into me... I always fight them, but it's so hard. At first it was like a few small nudges, trying to get me to do things. I thought they were just bad thoughts popping into my head but... they became more insistent as I fought them. Then the emotions started coming. Anger to make me more likely to fight, sometimes guilt, to get me to kill criminals."
 
Andrew looked around to see if anyone was watching. There were a few vagrants that had taken interest but none looked close enough to hear what they were saying. "Can we go to your Bat Cave to talk about this? I don't exactly trust anyone here."
 
Isaac stood motionless for a minute. "I shouldn't..."
 
With a sing song voice Andrew said, "I tell you a story about how the bracelets were made!"
 
Isaac clutched his head and shook it. "No! I won't listen! He's my friend!"
 
"What was the name of your bracelet again?" Andrew wished he had a better memory.
 
"Summer Storm." Isaac said after a moment.
 
Do you know him? Andrew wondered.
 
No. Shimeirin felt guilty.
 
It's Okay.
 
"No! I said no!" Isaac began to rock back and forth.
 
Andrew felt for his friend. He knew through Shimeirin how much a second mind in your head could influence your thoughts and actions. "There has to be a way to remove the bracelets. Without the Servant's help." 
 
Isaac looked at Andrew. "Is that even possible?"
 
Andrew shook his head. "I don't know."
 
Maybe Shimeirin can help? Shimeirin felt unsure but determined.
 
Are you sure? I doubt Summer Storm will help and he's probably stronger than you. 
 
Shimeirin's feelings resolved. Maybe if we can remove Summer Storm from Isaac we can do it to all the others too?
 
"Shimeirin has an idea." Andrew wasn't sure if he should discuss it too much. Summer Storm was seeing and hearing everything too. 
 
"What can you even do?" Isaac's face was unreadable through the mask but his voice hinted at tears underneath.
 
"Do you trust me?" Andrew would do this. Was Isaac?
 
"If you can get this thing off of me, I don't care what happens." Isaac stood up.
 
"To the Bat Cave?" Andrew enjoyed saying that.
 
"Are your friends coming too?" Isaac looked at Rah'asu and Insu for the first time in a while.
 
"Of course!" Insu stepped forward. "I go where Andrew goes."
 
Rah'asu stepped forward. "I will go too."
 
Isaac turned his back to them. "It's not far." He shook his head, "No!"
 
Andrew looked at Rah'asu and Insu. They both looked nervous. "It could be dangerous."
 
Rah'asu looked to Andrew. "I won't leave you after coming so far."
 
"And I want to see what happens." Insu said, though there was a hint of fear in his voice.
 
A half hour later.
 
"I thought you said it was close." Insu said as he sat on the floor of the Bat Cave.
 
The Bat Cave was a rundown building in a section of the capital that was even poorer than where they had left. There wasn't much of anything inside, at least where they were. There was a single boarded-up window in the empty room that that blocked most of the outside view. Most of the floor was rotted wood and Andrew had to watch where he stepped so not to fall through any holes. The walls were plaster but in many places it had fallen off, exposing wood.
 
"Sorry," Isaac said, "I forget what it's like to walk places. I usually jump and run everywhere now. It only took me three minutes to get where I found you, and that was me being careful not to be seen."
 
"Are you going to keep wearing that mask?" Andrew said as he watched Isaac pace on the far side of the room.
 
"I... well..." Isaac shook his head, "I've not been kind to myself."
 
Isaac pulled off his disguise. The first thing Andrew noticed was that most of his hair was missing. It was hard to tell in the darkness but there were still tufts of hair left, which made Andrew think Isaac had pulled out all of his hair. Moving past that Isaac's face was covered in cuts and scratches, one of which Isaac had already begun scratching at.
 
Isaac... Shimeirin was overcome with sadness and concern.
 
Andrew ignored his friend's appearance for now. "Should we get started?"
 
Isaac turned to Andrew. "Please! If you can free me..." Isaac clutched his head, "No! I want you gone! I don't want your power!"
 
Andrew turned to Insu and Rah'asu. Think we should get their help?
 
Shimeirin thinks it is a good idea, though Shimeirin would like the help from many others. Shimeirin was getting more and more terrified as they were about to begin.
 
Isaac will help too. Hopefully that will be enough. Andrew hoped.
 
Shimeirin didn't appear to feel any more confident. Shimeirin hopes so.
 
Andrew held out his hands to Rah'asu and Insu. "Do you want to help?"
 
Insu immediately walked forward. "Only if you tell me exactly what happens."
 
Andrew wanted to make a joke but couldn't bring himself to. "Okay."
 
Rah'asu stepped forward. "I won't help much, but I imagine any will be of use."
 
"Thanks." Andrew said and put a hand on each of their shoulders.
 
Ready? We need to be fast. Andrew's heart began to pound.
 
Shimeirin is ready. Shimeirin began to absorb Rah'asu's and Insu's strength.
 
In only a few seconds they slumped on the floor and Andrew felt the most powerful he had ever been. Insu already appeared to be asleep, but Rah'asu had stayed awake. "Good luck." She said weakly.
 
Andrew turned to Isaac. "Can I give you a hug? It's been so long since I've seen you." Andrew began walking towards him. "Every day I worried about you, about Cameron, even Lisbeth."
 
Isaac looked to the floor. "I was worried about you too. We had no idea where you went. One second you were right next to us, then you were gone."
 
Andrew reached Isaac and for the first time in years, maybe his whole life, he gave someone a genuine hug. Go!
 
Shimeirin felt it immediately. Summer Storm's power. At first Summer Storm did nothing and just observed her. Shimeirin could feel amusement and contempt coming from him. He felt no danger from Shimeirin.
 
Shimeirin felt around for Isaac. He was so hard to find with Summer Storm's massive presence surrounding her. But he was there. Isaac?
 
Who? Andrew? Isaac's presence replied. 
 
Isaac's presence made Shimeirin's heart ache. Isaac was erratic, full of fear, hate, self loathing. Shimeirin. I'm Shimeirin.
 
Andrew's bracelet? Is Andrew here too? Isaac became a little hopeful.
 
No. Only Shimeirin can come. Shimeirin wished Andrew could come. Shimeirin knew she would feel much safer if he had come.
 
You love him. Isaac said.
 
Ehh!! Shimeirin was terrified for a different reason now. Andrew hadn't noticed too, had he? 
 
I'm jealous. Isaac's presence confirmed it as Shimeirin could feel the jealousy, though not the bad kind. More... a longing, a desire for something he had lost, followed by feelings of betrayal.
 
Shimeirin reminded herself of the large presence looming around them. Shimeirin also wanted to change the subject. Help me look.
 
For what? 
 
For what keeps you and Summer Storm connected. Shimeirin hoped it wouldn't be too hard with Isaac's help.
 
Summer Storm's presence immediately became curious. Interesting. I've always wondered the same thing. 
 
Shimeirin froze for a moment.
 
Don't stop! Isaac became angry, then ashamed. Sorry.
 
No, thank you. Shimeirin worried about two things, Summer Storm and herself. Sometimes Shimeirin was her own biggest enemy.
 
Isaac shook himself. Tell me, what should I do?
 
Shimeirin could only guess. Can you fight him? Maybe that will do something.
 
Gladly. Isaac filled with hate, contempt.
 
Isaac's presence expanded and began pushing at Summer Storm. To Shimeirin's surprise he began to push back and Summer Storm's overwhelming presence began to feel less oppressive. It was just as powerful as before but, the best way Shimeirin could describe it, took up less of Isaac's mind.
 
Stop fighting me, boy! Summer Storm was irritated but not frightened or worried. I tire of this! We could have been the best of allies! Powerful!
 
No! Isaac was nearly all rage. You slowly take over. I can feel it! You don't care about me! I won't let you have my body!
 
Shimeirin was stunned. Was Isaac right? Was his mind or body being taken over by Summer Storm?  Shimeirin shook herself. This was no time to think she needed to look.
 
Something seemed off. The more Isaac fought Summer Storm, the more she felt it. Voices? Yes. She could hear voices. Why? It should only be the three of them. Instead, she felt... tens? No... hundreds of voices. All crying in despair. The voices terrified Shimeirin. There was so much sadness. She wanted to move away from them. To hide... No! She needed to do whatever she could.
 
Shimeirin felt herself pass through something, actually into Summer Storm's bracelet. Shimeirin had entered Summer Storm like she had entered Isaac. Thankfully, all of Summer Storm's thought and emotions focused on fighting Isaac and it was taking all his strength fight back. It made Shimeirin wonder why they couldn't take the bracelet wearer's life like they could others.
 
Save me! Let me go! Kill me! Voices flooded the area. All voices of despair.
 
Shimeirin focused around her. Hundreds of... souls surrounded Shimeirin? There were hundreds of men, though strangely no women. All of them made Shimeirin feel filthy. These souls were filthy. All Shimeirin could think of is that they were the criminals Isaac had killed.
 
What should Shimeirin do? She wanted nothing to do with these souls. Their presence alone made her recoil.
 
A thought nagged at Shimeirin. Could Shimeirin use these souls? They must be where Isaac and Summer Storm were drawing their power. Could Shimeirin free them or even get them to help her? They didn't want to be here, and she imagined they would take any opportunity they could to escape or punish their killer.
 
If Shimeirin had a body, she would have swallowed. Listen... Shimeirin "said" more quietly than she would have liked. A few souls noticed but did nothing. Listen! Shimeirin yelled and this time the souls paid attention to her. Shimeirin wanted to run. To escape from their notice. Who wants to leave this place?
 
All the spirits began to clamor. Many approached Shimeirin. All were begging, pleading.
 
Help me fight! Help me find a way! Shimeirin had no plan and hoped a spirit would offer an idea.
 
Some spirits went into a frenzy. Others swarmed Shimeirin. There were too many voices so Shimeirin had a hard time making anything out of what they were saying. One thing became immediately clear. The spirits that were in a frenzy were fighting against a barrier Shimeirin hadn't noticed before. It was separate from the rest of Summer Storm and different from the barrier she had just passed through. Was this what trapped them here? If she could break it, would they be free?
 
Against her best judgment, Shimeirin tried to absorb the strength of the souls swarming her like she had with Insu and Rah'asu. Nothing happened. Instead, Shimeirin focused on the new barrier. From what she could tell, Isaac was harming it more than anything the horde of spirits were doing. 
 
Shimeirin left Summer Storm and called to Isaac. Over here! Attack here! Shimeirin began attacking the barrier right where the spirits trapped inside. 
 
No! Summer Storm shouted and focused his attention on Shimeirin.
 
You'll have to get through me first! Isaac yelled as he and Summer Storm tried to focus on Shimeirin.
 
Shimeirin knew Summer Storm would keep Isaac away if she didn't help, so she left the barrier and pushed back on Summer Storm. Summer Storm faltered from the extra force and Isaac broke free long enough to reach the barrier. Isaac attacked the barrier with all his might. Summer Storm ignored Shimeirin and rushed after Isaac. 
 
Isaac's attacks made the spirits' look like children attacking a mountain, and the barrier began to crack. Soon it weakened enough and spirits began to escape.
 
Summer Storm laughed. At last I can get rid of you Isaac. Summer Storm slammed into Isaac. Isaac ignored him and continued to attack the barrier. 
 
With each attack Isaac received he became weaker, but every spirit that escaped made Summer Storm weaker. Shimeirin could tell that Summer Storm would win at this rate.
 
Saviour! A spirit approached Shimeirin. The spirit was a man that looked just like any man should, if he glowed white. We want to help kill them, the ones that imprisoned us!
 
Shimeirin wasn't sure what to do. Should she trust the spirit? Not Issac. 
 
The spirit ignored her. Help us. The spirit showed Shimeirin a place where a group of spirits had gathered. 
 
Shimeirin was reluctant to leave Isaac, but there was nothing she could do to help. She was so weak compared to them. So, she followed the spirit and found something peculiar. She had no way to describe it. What is it?
 
The jailer is like us, a spirit. Yet he is bound. This will release his bond. When you break bond we will take him with us. The spirit reached for the thing but something stopped him. You crossed the barrier that we could not. Perhaps you can cross this one.
 
The barrier holding the spirits broke. I did it! Isaac shouted in joy. I freed them!
 
Summer Storm laughed. I can collect more once I have your body! Thanks to this you are too weak to fight me off! Summer Storm slammed into Isaac.
 
This is my body! No matter what you do you will not have it! Shimeirin could see how much weaker Isaac had become but with the barrier gone he focused his attention back to Summer Storm and furiously assaulted him.
 
Shimeirin turned back to the something. She reached towards it and her hand felt no resistance. Soon she felt a power. One more weak than she had expected. It would be so easy to break it. So she did.
 
What!? Summer Storm screamed in anger and terror. How!?
 
The spirit that had spoken to Shimeirin snarled at the now fading Summer Storm. For months I have watched inside. Felt, explored, contemplated. There was only one place where only you existed at all times. A small, unassuming place, yet protected by its own barrier.
 
Isaac laughed this time. I'm finally rid of this curse! I can feel my head clearing!
 
Summer Storm looked at Shimeirin. If any others like us find out you know how to kill us. They will stop at nothing to kill you.
 
Shimeirin pushed back her fear. This is wrong. What you did to our people was wrong! Why?! Why did you have to kill everyone?
 
To become more than we could have ever been. Summer Storm said. We suffer through an endless cycle of death and rebirth. We wanted to escape that. Our people will be reborn, their previous lives forgotten. Through their sacrifice we can try to break the cycle and not fear death. I do not know how you became like us but you are blessed. You have an... 
Summer Storm's spirit faded out and a small bright orb took its place before leaving in an instant.
 
Isaac turned to Shimeirin. Gone. He's finally gone!
 
Yes, he is. Shimeirin felt comfortable for the first time in Isaac's body.
 
Where's Andrew anyway? I thought he would have come with you. Isaac looked around.
 
Shimeirin could only guess. Only Shimeirin or those like Shimeirin can do this?
 
Isaac shrugged. Makes sense. He looked more closely at Shimeirin. I can't see you, only feel and hear you. He shook his head. Strange how Summer Storm hid himself for so long. I thought I was going schitzo. But once you entered me everything became so much more clear. Has Andrew known about you the whole time?
 
Yes. Shimeirin and Andrew couldn't talk for a while, only share emotions. Shimeirin didn't want to admit it was her fear that made Andrew realize she was there.
 
Isaac's spirit dimmed a bit. I don't think I can stay awake. Tell Andrew we'll talk when I wake up. Isaac's spirit "jumped" finally free. It then went still.
One down twenty-two to go.
0