Chapter 12: Shimeirin’s new strength
95 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Shimeirin? Andrew was holding Isaac's now unconscious body and was extremely worried, although now that his friend had stopped thrashing around, there were moments he thought his friend was dying.
 
Andrew? Shimeirin finally answered. Andrew felt a great satisfaction coming from her.
 
Shimeirin! Finally! After I began to hug Isaac, I couldn't hear you anymore, and he kept yelling and screaming. There was nothing I could do, and...
 
Andrew. Shimeirin thinks Summer Storm is gone.
 
You did it! Isaac is free now? Andrew glanced down to Isaac's wrist but couldn't see anything because of long sleeves. Andrew rolled up the sleeve and saw the bracelet was gone. It's gone!
 
Shimeirin felt relieved. Andrew, why does our face hurt?
 
Andrew rubbed his face. He would have bruises. Isaac was punching a lot while you were in there.
 
Shimeirin felt a little ashamed. He had to fight Summer Storm a lot. Shimeirin thinks he's just sleeping now but will be OK.
 
I was hoping I could have helped but nothing happened. Andrew was still feeling frustrated at only being able to watch.
 
Shimeirin wanted you there too. Shimeirin felt embarrassed, but there was also a little loneliness and a warmth.
 
Andrew had increasingly felt that warmth. He hadn't given it much thought, but now he wondered. He had just confessed something earlier he hadn't realized until he said it. He said he loved her. In what way? A potential lover? Like family? Like a friend? Shimeirin... I'm glad you're OK. Summer Storm could have killed you.
 
Shimeirin appeared to think for a moment. Shimeirin thinks Shimeirin and Andrew would have been OK. 
 
Shimeirin told Andrew everything that happened. About the trapped souls, the barriers, the 'anchor' that bound Summer Storm, what Summer Storm said about taking over Isaac's body. Andrew wished he had been there but was glad everything was all right.
 
Summer Storm could have stopped you. Andrew thought if Summer Storm had attacked Shimeirin from the moment she entered she wouldn't have been able to do anything. If he had attacked you from the beginning.
 
No. Isaac would have stopped him. Isaac was amazing. Shimeirin felt admiration.
 
He really is a great guy. Bad taste in women but a great guy. Andrew laughed.
 
Terrible taste in women. Shimeirin felt disgust.
 
Andrew yawned. I'm going to sleep. He could barely keep his eyes open now that the excitement was over.
 
Shimeirin forgot how tired we were. 
 
Yeah... We can finish talking in the morning when everyone else is awake... Andrew fell asleep. 
 
"Last one asleep and first one awake?" Andrew heard a familiar voice as he began to wake.
 
Andrew opened his eyes. As he adjusted to the light, he noticed someone sitting on a couch nearby. It was Lisbeth. Isaac was lying on the couch with her, his head on her lap. He was still asleep. Rah'asu and Insu were nowhere in sight.
 
Andrew, what should we do? Where are Insu and Rah'asu? Shimeirin felt more scared than Andrew did.
 
She must have followed us. We didn't exactly do a good job hiding. Andrew cursed at himself for not taking Lisbeth more seriously.
 
"What do you want?" Andrew asked less politely than he should have given the situation.
 
"I just wanted to see how my ex was doing. Despite this shack he lives in, he was doing quite well for himself, although I'm not a fan of his new look. You should have seen how much money I found under the floor in the back room." Lisbeth looked like she had just scored big time.
 
"What about my friends?" Andrew had no idea what Lisbeth wanted with them.
 
"They're resting at my home for the time being. I can't believe you were waltzing around town with two Shifters. Pretty gutsy." Lisbeth looked at Andrew, waiting for a reply.
 
"Thank you? But why take them to your house?" Andrew sat up from his laying position on the floor.
 
"So you, me, and Isaac can have a private chat. I don't want the guards to find them and track them to us. That and I don't want them to attempt anything while we chat."
 
"What do you want to talk about that is so important to bring your own couch here?"
 
"I enjoy seeing the look on the peasants' faces as my boys carry me through town. It would have been easier taking you two to my house as well, but that wouldn't be as fun."
 
Andrew rolled his eyes. "Fine. What do you want to talk about?"
 
Lisbeth picked up Isaac's right arm. "I want to know what happened to his bracelet. Before we parted ways he tried many ways to remove it. He even had someone cut his arm off, but it just reattached." Lisbeth dropped the arm and looked Andrew in the eyes. "So, how did you do it?"
 
I don't want to tell her, but she has Isaac right in her lap, and who knows what she did with Insu and Rah'asu. It frustrated Andrew.
 
Shimeirin thinks we should tell her. Shimeirin doesn't think we can do it again without help and she might help us. Shimeirin felt as if she didn't believe she was saying what she was saying.
 
"What will you do if we tell you?" Andrew wondered how truthful she would be.
 
Lisbeth stroked Isaac's head. "Knowledge is power. If any others like us try to do anything to me, I can destroy their bracelet so they won't be a danger to me anymore. And it looks like it doesn't kill them so you won't have to worry about that."
 
Andrew wondered something. "Does your bracelet talk to you?"
 
Lisbeth laughed. "It's a magic bracelet Andrew... Hmm, I guess it wouldn't be too surprising if a magic bracelet could talk." Lisbeth shook her head. "Why, what does this have to do with anything?"
 
"Because the bracelets used to be people, Lisbeth. The man that brought us here made them from people and each bracelet has a soul, or whatever, attached to it. I think they manipulate you through emotions." Andrew doubted she believed him.
 
"And how would you know this?" Lisbeth looked more amused than anything.
 
"My bracelet, Shimeirin, told me through dreams, though she talks to me now. Have you had any dreams about flying or people with wings? Oh, and Isaac told me what happened to him." Andrew watched her face carefully.
 
Lisbeth's left eye twitched, and she looked at her bracelet. "Tell me everything."
 
Andrew told her about the ceremony and what Shimeirin had learned the night before. Lisbeth began to look more angrily at her bracelet after he mentioned Isaac's bracelet was trying to take over his body.
 
"I believe you, Andrew. Some of my dreams... it's like I'm a different person, more memories than dreams. I always get impulses to do things. Impulses to get more power, to distract myself with men... To think Spring Sunset was manipulating me the whole time."
 
Spring Sunset. Shimeirin felt as if she remembered something. She was the wife of a noble?
 
"We can get rid of your bracelet too." Andrew really hoped that he could get Lisbeth away from that power.
 
Lisbeth was silent for a few moments. "Only if we can get rid of Spring Sunset without losing the bracelet's power."
 
Shimeirin? 
 
Shimeirin doesn't know.
 
"I don't know. We're new to the bracelet destruction too." Andrew was proud that he could say at least that much.
 
Lisbeth spasmed. "I think Spring Sunset doesn't like what it is hearing. We should do this quickly." Lisbeth grabbed her head. The sight reminded Andrew of Isaac last night.
 
Should we do it? She's accepting this too easily for my taste. Andrew wondered if Lisbeth deserved his help.
 
Yes! If Spring Sunset gains control of Lisbeth... Andrew felt that Shimeirin didn't know how to answer that question.
 
He didn't know either.
 
Andrew stood up. "I will have to touch you. Okay?"
 
Lisbeth nodded frantically. "Hurry. I don't think I can fight her! She's too strong!"
 
Ready Shimeirin? Andrew had a bad feeling about this.
 
No! ... No, but do it anyway! Shimeirin didn't feel confident but was determined.
 
Andrew put his hand on Lisbeth's shoulder.
 
***
 
Shimeirin looked around. Lisbeth was much like Isaac. There was the space that she was sure was the body, then a smaller space that was the bracelet. The bracelet was divided into two sections as well and she could see the prison for the spirits that had been killed by Lisbeth and Spring Sunset.
 
You! A high, feminine voice, screamed.
 
Shimeirin looked towards the voice and saw the mass of spirit that could only be Spring Sunset. It was detaching itself from what could have only been Lisbeth's spirit or whatever it was.
 
I was so close! Only a few more weeks and this body would have easily been mine, the slut wouldn't have known anything was going on! It would only be seconds until she was free to attack Shimeirin.
 
Shimeirin ignored Spring Sunset, and the trapped spirits and headed for where she hoped the... whatever was that tied the bracelet to Lisbeth. If she could reach it before Spring Sunset could do anything... Would it be so easy?
 
Spring Sunset detached from Lisbeth. I'm taking you with me. And instead of heading for Shimeirin she rushed to... to where Shimeirin had entered! 
 
Andrew! There was no way Shimeirin would beat Spring Sunset to Andrew. He would have fight her himself. Their best chance was for her to destroy Spring Sunset before she could do anything to them. Could she do it? Last time she had help from Isaac and the spirits. Shimeirin shook her head. She needed to do this, help or no.
 
Something was happening. Shimeirin's 'eyes' were drawn to Lisbeth just in time to see her vanish.
 
Andrew felt something. Shimeirin? Did you do it? 
 
Sudden, intense anger. Andrew had never felt anger this strong. The presence was familiar but, aside from the anger, different. No... It couldn't be. Andrew looked to Lisbeth. She was no longer moving or making any noise. Had Shimeirin lost? Was Spring Sunset attacking him now? He had to fight her. Isaac had done it for months, he could do it too. Could he?
 
Stupid boy. I've been strengthening myself for months. You can't stop me. A high, feminine voice said as soon as he started his attempt at fighting off the ball of rage.
 
Good luck and go to wherever murderers go on Calorin. Andrew would not let himself lose this fight. 
 
Shimeirin found it. She found it! The... whatever was right next to where the spirits were being held. Her hand passed through the barrier that protected it and she grabbed onto... life. She could feel the power from the spirits entering and being transferred to Lisbeth and the bracelet. She wasn't sure how, but at just a thought the connection broke.
 
You're free. Shimeirin said to the trapped spirits as the barrier began to fade.
 
Thank you's came from several hundred spirits.
 
These, unlike Isaac's, were mostly pure and not tarnished in the taint of someone that lived a life of crime, though there were some. Many were even children or the elderly.
 
Many spirits vanished as soon as they were freed. Others followed her as she raced to return to Andrew. Hopefully, her breaking the... whatever had gotten rid of Spring Sunset and Andrew was fine.
 
Winged One! Several male spirits said as they joined her. We will help you! Let us help you!
 
Shimeirin looked at them. She wasn't sure what to do. Please, go, you are free now.
 
We want to repay you before we move on to the next cycle. 
 
Shimeirin and the spirits entered Andrew's body. There was no sign of Spring Sunset. Andrew?
 
Shimeirin! She's gone! You did it! Andrew was ecstatic. Spring Sunset came, but she left not long after.
 
Andrew... Some spirits followed Shimeirin from Lisbeth. What should we do? Shimeirin looked at the spirits but soon found herself looking through Andrew's senses again before she could do anything.
 
Andrew wasn't sure what to do with Shimeirin's news. I'm not sure how much I like the thought of strange spirits being inside me.
 
Shimeirin doesn't like it either. They should go and be reincarnated. Andrew could tell that Shimeirin was concerned but interested.
 
What do they want? Should he at least hear them out?
 
They want to help.
 
How? By giving us their strength?
 
Shimeirin was told that. She felt skeptical. Their spirits feel clean so they might be good? 
 
How do we even get them to help us? You mentioned the spirits in Isaac were trapped in some sort of cage? I don't like the idea of trapping spirits in a cage and using them like a battery. Andrew had already promised himself he wouldn't use the abilities of the bracelet.
 
Shimeirin doesn't know how to get them to leave. Shimeirin can't feel them anymore now that Shimeirin is with Andrew again. Shimeirin became worried with the thought.
 
Let's hope they leave on their own if we ignore them. Andrew had a feeling it wouldn't happen the way he hoped.
 
Shimeirin was conflicted. Okay.
 
Andrew looked at Lisbeth for the first time since Shimeirin had returned. Is she all right?
 
Shimeirin is worried. Lisbeth's spirit disappeared. Shimeirin felt sorrow. Can spirits die?
 
I don't know? I wouldn't think so? Could spirits die? Until now he had been skeptical of the whole spirits existing in the first place. Maybe the religions on earth were on to something. Maybe her spirit will come back after a while. Andrew checked her pulse. At least her heart is still beating.
 
Shimeirin hopes so. Shimeirin doesn't like Lisbeth but not enough to want her to die. 
 
Me too. Andrew glanced at Lisbeth's wrist. At least her bracelet is gone now so we don't have to worry about her attacking us. 
 
What now?
 
We go get Insu and Rah'asu. Andrew looked at Isaac. He was still sleeping and didn't look like he would wake up. Think Lisbeth's slaves are waiting nearby?
 
Why? 
 
So they can carry Isaac and Lisbeth back to her house. I just hope they don't attack us. Andrew doubted they would.
 
Okay.
 
Andrew exited Isaac's Bat Cave. Outside he saw six heavily muscled men. They weren't armored but were each armed with swords that reminded him of something he would see in Rome or some other ancient civilization.
 
They all looked at him when he exited.
 
"Lisbeth is done and would like to be taken home." Andrew said quickly. He then added. "She fell asleep."
 
The men looked at him suspiciously and the two biggest ran towards the door. Andrew jumped out of the way and let them pass. As they could see Lisbeth from the doorway, they saw her immediately. The men glanced back at Andrew but said nothing before checking to see if she was alive.
 
"Come on!" The bigger of the two yelled. "Lady Lisbeth fell asleep with another man again."
 
Another? Shimeirin was disgusted.
 
I don't think she was always like this? Andrew hadn't seen any evidence to say otherwise until now.
 
The men outside showed expressions ranging from an eye roll to shrugs but didn't waste time entering the building. 
 
"At least she's still covered this time." One said. 
 
"What's up with this one? Seen better days he has." Another said.
 
"She said he is an old lover of hers, from Terra." A third added.
 
The men picked up Isaac and laid him on the floor. 
 
"Lisbeth wanted you to take him with her." Andrew said, not wanting to carry his friend by himself or leave him here.
 
"Lady Lisbeth told us unless we hear the order from her or Tassy directly to ignore it." One man told him.
 
Andrew sighed. "Can you at least let me come with you? I believe Lisbeth is taking care of some of my friends."
 
The men ignored him and began jogging away with Lisbeth and her couch. Think we can get some of our new spirit friends to possess them?
 
Possess? Shimeirin had just learned a new word in English.
 
It's when a spirit takes over someone's body. Andrew really had to stop doing that.
 
Shimeirin can't talk to them anymore. It frustrated Shimeirin.
 
Oh well, lets at least follow them. Andrew went back inside, picked up Isaac, and then headed to Lisbeth's house. Things really are lighter on Calorin. Is the gravity lower here? My best guess at least.
 
Gravity?
 
Andrew explained the concept of gravity to Shimeirin on the way to Lisbeth's house.
 
Shimeirin is so confused. 
 
It confuses me too. Andrew wasn't satisfied with his explanation, but he wasn't a physicist. 
 
Andrew had finally sighted Lisbeth's house. It had taken them nearly an hour to get there, and he had long lost sight of the pack of Lisbeth's reverse harem. He was pretty tired despite probably being in the best shape of his life thanks to Isaac's still unconscious body he was carrying.
 
Ah oh. Andrew said as he noticed two of the burly men standing in front of Lisbeth's house.
 
They won't let us in will they... Shimeirin had a mix of disappointment and unsurprise.
 
We'll see. Andrew strode up to the men and made himself look as confidant as he could.
 
"Lady Lisbeth is not seeing anyone at the moment. Please leave." The closest of the two men said.
 
"Of course she isn't. She's asleep." Andrew said with a knowing smile.
 
"Then why did you come?" The men eyed Andrew wearily. They knew what he could do to them if he touched them.
 
"To get my friends. I believe Lisbeth is letting a man and a woman stay as guests." Andrew kept his smile.
 
"Lady Lisbeth told us not to let anyone see them." The second man said.
 
"And who is Lisbeth to keep them? They aren't slaves." Andrew showed tilted his head slightly.
 
"Not yet. Lady Lisbeth found two Shifters that had wandered into the city. The only Shifters allowed into the city are chained slaves. All others are to be made slaves or killed." The man looked at Andrew as if he should know that.
 
What should we do? Shimeirin was frustrated but still determined.
 
Andrew thought for a moment. He remembered something one man had mentioned at the Bat Cave. "Can, uh, T-, T-," what was the maid's name again? "Can you at least get Lisbeth's maid for us?"
 
The two men looked at each other. "Tassy is busy tending to Lady Lisbeth at the moment and will soon be retiring for the night, if she hasn't already."
 
Andrew sighed. "I'm getting my friends either way. I tried asking politely but if you won't let me see my friends things will get more rowdy, and I doubt it will be me that will be losing." 
 
We're going to fight!? We can't beat them! They'll kill us! Shimeirin was mad at Andrew more than scared.
 
They don't know that. I'm hoping they are scared enough of Terrans to not try to fight. Andrew was sure they wouldn't.
 
Mnf! 
 
Heh, haven't heard that in a while. Andrew chuckled to himself.
 
The two men looked at each other worriedly. "Fine, we will get Tassy."
 
The closer of the two men went into the house and came out a few minutes later with the maid, Tassy.
 
"Hello Lord Terran. I believe your name was Andrew?" Tassy bowed to him.
 
"Hello Tassy. I know Lisbeth is asleep but I would like to see my friends." Andrew returned the smile to his face.
 
"I'm sorry Lord Andrew, but Lady Lisbeth told me that no one could see them." Tassy bowed with apology.
 
"How's Lady Lisbeth's bracelet?" Andrew wondered if the maid had noticed Lisbeth's bracelet was missing.
 
Tassy jerked a little. "As beautiful as the greatest of sunsets."
 
Andrew smiled at Tassy but said nothing.
 
"Now if you would please leave." Tassy gestured towards the road.
 
"Lady Lisbeth has ten minutes to come out or get me my friends. If she does, I'll leave peacefully, if not..." Andrew kept his smile.
 
Tassy's face paled. "Ten minutes?" She turned to the guards.
 
Andrew noticed that ten of them had gathered at the front of the house now.
 
Andrew... Shimeirin was scared now.
 
"Let me go talk to Lady Lisbeth. She won't be happy being woken up at this hour." Tassy nearly sprinted into the house.
 
Five minutes later Insu and Rah'asu exited the front door of Lisbeth's house.
 
"Where are we?" A groggy Insu said as he stepped from the front door?
 
"Is this Lisbeth's house?" Rah'asu, whom looked like the walking dead, said as she blinked her eyes.
 
"Yeah, she came and paid us a visit tonight." Andrew said to his friends as he waited for them by the road.
 
Why? Shimeirin was confused.
 
Why did they get released? I imagine Tassy realized that Lisbeth's bracelet is gone now and probably couldn't fight us. Andrew hadn't been afraid of Lisbeth, but her guards would have had an easy time with him.
 
Oh! 
 
Rah'asu reached Andrew and studied Isaac. "Did it work?"
 
Andrew smiled. "Yep, but I bet he'll be sleeping for a while. Lisbeth too."
 
"Too... tired..." Insu said as he checked Isaac's wrist.
 
"Shimeirin did just drain you." Andrew wondered something. Did that even help?
 
Shimeirin thought for a moment. Shimeirin doesn't think so.
 
I don't want to tell them... Andrew knew they wouldn't be mad. But it's probably why I could carry Isaac so far so it helped.
 
"Let's go find a place to sleep." Rah'asu said and then yawned.
 
"Back to the Bat Cave?" Andrew said a little too loudly.
 
Rah'asu and Insu looked at him a little confused.
 
"Oh, yeah." Insu said and began walking in a random direction.
 
Rah'asu looked around. "I don't think..." She looked at Andrew, "Is he heading in the right direction?"
 
"Nope." Andrew turned and began walking the way he had just come. Maybe we should have just left Isaac there...
 
Yeah, we feel so tired. Shimeirin doesn't want to think how tired we will be when we make it to the Bat Cave. Shimeirin felt happy despite what she just said.
 
"This way, Insu." Rah'asu said as she grabbed Insu and spun him in the direction Andrew was walking.
What happened to Isaac's and Lisbeth's spirits? Find out next time on the next episode of Batman!
 
0