Chapter Twelve – The Mansion
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The first room that greeted the group when they entered the haunted mansion had a wide open floor plan. Before them stood a towering staircase that led up to the next floor. The railings and floorboard making the staircase were covered in dust and decay, the stairs did not look stable in the least. To the left of the group there stood a large archway leading to another room, the right mirrored the left.

Taking a few more steps into the house Harbor craned his head around peering into the room beside them. To the left seemed to be a sitting room of sorts, to the right a dining area. The colors were muted with age and the dust piled up on the senses so thick even May wanted to sneeze. 

“We should split up,” Liam announced suddenly, “Cover more area that way.” 

“Yes, exactly what I was thinking,” Ellie added, nodding along.

“I, no, have any of you seen a horror movie once ever?” Harbor questioned exasperated.

“Of course, don’t worry you won't be by yourself.” Liam smiled at him softly. Harbor shuddered.

“Pairs then.”

“Right.”

“Great I’ll go with Katie.” Harbor announced before anyone could get another word in.

“Wait what?”Katie questioned taken aback, “I go with Ellie when we split up, you can go with Liam.” She suggested.

“Yeah,” Ellie agreed, “Besides you were considerate about safety right? Laim can protect you much better than either of us can.” She pointed out.

Harbor felt himself die a little.

“They got you their.” May whispered into his ear.

Harbor glared at the ceiling. “Alright fine, but no funny business.” He declared pointing a finger at Liam and glaring slightly.

Liam melted at the jester, “Of course.” He assured.

Harbor found himself unconvinced. May patted his shoulder to the best of their ability, “Good luck solder.”

“And we're not taking the box!”

“Of course.” 

This man was putty. Harbor huffed. Grumbling slightly.

“We’ll go to the right,” Liam volunteered, standing shoulder to shoulder with Harbor.

Lucky for him he didn’t put his arm around Harbor's shoulder. Harbor would have kicked him.

Ellie and Katie nodded, “We’ll go left, meet up back here before we go up stairs.”

“Alright.” Liam and Harbor agreed.

Harbor decided to take the initiative and walked forward, leaving Liam’s side and making his merry way into the dinning area. His feet stepped past the doorway, his eyes scanned the room. Old painting hung on the wall, badly damaged with water, mold, and had holes all about. The table stationed in the center of the room was tilted on the side. The wood having cracked and broken, the leg of it snapping right off. 

A fancy table cloth that had previously been laying on top of it laid on the ground underneath the fallen table. Plates and other china littered the floor, broken into small pieces. Candle sticks tucked tightly into the corner of the room, silverware scattered about. The window off to the side half shattered and half boarded up.

Harbor felt goosebumps crawl up his arms as the hairs on the back of his neck stood up on end. “Well isn’t this just cheery.” He grimaced, hoping to lighten the atmosphere.

“You’d think some of this would have been taken by looters or something.” May muttered besides him.

Liam chuckled lightly, “Yeah, can’t imagine what else we're gonna find here.”

“Just be sure not to take anything out of here.” Harbor muttered.

Liam glanced at him, his eyes softening, “Of course.”

Harbor sighed, “What are we looking for exactly?”

“Nothing in particular, right now were just takeing in the place, just note anything odd you see.” 

“This entire place is odd.” May grumbled, not far away, inspecting one of the heavily damaged paintings.

“No joke.” Harbor mumbled.

“What was that?”

“Just saying how this place gives me the creeps.” Harbor replied raising his voice so he would be heard.

Liam laughed merrily, “No joke! This place is one of the creepiest I’ve been to, and this is only the first floor.”

Harbor groaned, “Don’t remind me.” His feet began carrying him out of the room, “Let's go on.”

The soft thuds of Liam’s footsteps followed him, oddly light for a man his size, “Of course.”

Harbor’s hands grasped the door handle, tucking it. He must have tucked too hard, the knob fell off. Harbor stared at it blankly.

“Imagine,” May commented beside him, “I could never.” THere was a shit eating grin on their face.

Harbor rolled his eyes ready to snap back before Liam cut him off.

“Damn this place is fragile. Hang on a moment I think I can get the door.”

Harbor took a step aside, “Be my guest.”

Liam stepped forward, bracing himself. Harbor stared at him in curiosity. May starred with him.

“Damn he’s got muscles.” May admitted off handedly, looking over at Harbor’s noodle arms, “Where are your muscles?” They questioned, poking his arms.

Harbor slapped their hand away, “The same place your hands are.” He shot back in a low voice not taking his eye off of the tank of a man ready to break a door down. Damn did he have muscle. He could snap Harbor in half.

“Owch.” MAy retorted.

BANG CRASH

“Holy-- almighty Spector! Liam, are you ok!?” Harbor sputtered rushing to his aid as he laid on the ground of the next room over, half the door with him. He lifted his head looking at his face.

Liam groaned, eyes blinking open slowly, gazing into Harbor’s concerned eyes. HE laughed softly, “I might have to get hurt more often if that’s what it takes to be taken care of by you angel~” He flirted.

Harbor dropped his head.

“Ow.”

May cackled behind him.

Harbor stomped his way farther into the room.

“Such a hot head.” A feminine voice giggled, the sound echoed around Harbor, catching him off guard. He faltered in his stride.

His eyes shifted around the room, zipping around. May floated up by his side.

“You hear that too?” They whispered to him, Harbor nodded.

“SOmething wrong?” Liam called to him noticing his frozen stature.

“Heard something.” Harbor replied, moving his body in a circle taking in all his surroundings.

“What did it say?” Liam inquired, excitement brimming in his voice.

Harbor flushed, “uhh… couldn’t tell.” He shook his head, “Let's get this over with and meet up with the other two.”

The room he stood in now looked remarkably more bland then the last room did. Broken cabinets littered the area, wood chippings sticking out of the ground, ready to impale anyone without good shoes. Harbor shuttered, this place was a death trap. He made his way over to the door, staring at the door knob, hesitating. He really didn’t want to break another door knob.

“What does the knob have teeth?” May commented behind him, sarcastically. 

Harbor rolled his eyes, placing his hand on the knob and turning it softly. Pushing the door, it didn't budge.

“Put your back into it!” May scolded, “These doors are old, sticky.”

Harbor took a deep breath and pushed harder, putting his weight into it. The door opened suddenly causing Harbor to stumble into the next room, shaking his head.

“Nice.” Liam commented from behind him giving him a thumbs up and a grin as he entered the room behind Harbor.

Harbor huffed, straightening up again. The room appeared to be a severely run down Victorian style kitchen. The door to the oven laid open, the cabinets smashed, the counter cracked. This place really was a dump. The floor beneath him creaked as his boots walked across them.

“This place is really old.” Liam pointed out, his voice off to the left, but nearby.

Harbor nodded, “Yep, I’ve mildly terrified the roof is going to fall on top of me.”

Liam snorted, “No joke.” 

Harbor neared the next door, pausing as he heard the girls' voices just beyond it. “Sound like Katie and Ellie are in the room over.” He announced turning to Liam.

“Oh yeah really?” He questioned stepping up to the door, listening intently, “I don’t hear anything?”

Harbor eyes narrowed and a frown tucked on his lips, “No?”

“No.”

Harbor turned to the door, twisting the knob and shoving it open. No one was inside. He stepped farther into the room, allowing Liam to join him.

“Ghost?” May asked drifting over to him.

“Most definitely.” Harbor replied not paying attention to who was speaking.

“What?”

“What?”

“You just said ‘most definitely’ what did you mean?”

Harbor froze, “Ah, I thought you said something about ghost.” HE quickly covered.

“Nice.” 

Liam grinned at him, “I think you might be onto something in this place.”

Dammit.

Gosh this room is so creepy…” A muffled voice echoed from behind the shut door.

Harbor tenseed, “Actual person?” He intended it to come out as more of a statement than a question.

“Oh yeah I hear that too!” Liam cheered.

The doors stuck.” The voice said again the door pounded, before giving way revealing the other two from the ghost hunting party.

“Oh it's just you too.” Liam huffed.

“Oooo jealous.” May teased, even though he couldn’t hear.

“Well don’t sound so sad to see us.” Ellie huffed, marching up to her friend.

“Don’t tease him, he was just upset we cut his time with his boyfriend off.” Katie rolled her eyes moving next to her friend, “Besides, you would be too.” She muttered kissing Ellie. 

Ah girlfriends. That makes sense. Harbor nodded to himself while Liam choked on his spit.

“W-we’re not boyfriends!” He shouted defensively, face redder than a tomato.

“Convincing.” May commented.

Harbor rolled his eyes and turned around heading out the way they came, “Heading to the next floor then?” He called as he crossed the threshold into the kitchen.

He took the pitter patter of footsteps following him as a yes. The journey to the entrance was uneventful with Liam falling quite after he was embarrassed while Katie and Ellie teased him. Harbor and co reached the spiral staircase in no time.

“Who’s going first?” Ellie asked.

“I will,” Harbor volunteered, stepping forward. May bobbing happily by his side.

“Liam will be right behind you.” Ellie called after noticing Liam was too shy to volunteer himself.

Liam sputtered.

“Alright.” Harbor called back, stepping forwards onto the staircase making careful steps upwards. The stairs creaked below him as he tested his weight onto each. Growing more confident as the stairs failed to give way he began picking up the pace.

This proved to be a grave mistake as a loud crack echoed through the mostly empty entrance. The stair his left foot stood on gave way, forcing Harbor up the stairs. HE scrambled up them, bolting up.

CRASH BANG BOOM 

The bottom stair crashed onto the floor as Harbor lunged himself to the top of the next floor. Breathing heavily he looked down. Half the staircase hang limping from where he was while the rest laid on the ground below.

“You all ok?!” He shouted down eyes frantically looking for them underneath the dust cloud that had been made.

“Yeah we’re alright, what about you?!” Liam’s voice called back.

“I’m ok too!” Relief flooded Harbor as he relaxed slightly, breathing a deep sigh of relief.

“We’re gonna get you a ladder, hang tight!”

“I will!” 

Three sets of footsteps faded into the distance, leaving Harbor to his own devices, stuck on the second floor of the mansion.

0