Chapter 16: “Where the story is resumed in a very short chapter”
412 9 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kane had always been, in his opinion, a bit of a foreteller.

Ever since he could remember, there had always been a strange thing deep within him, a spiritual alarm if you like, that blew up whenever something big was about to happen. Sometimes, it was the good kind of big (trying not to laugh at the thought), and sometimes, it was the bad kind of big. He could also tell which one.

It wasn’t a Meta skill, of course. Else, he’d be pretty aware of it. Yet it was a good… talent, if you want. Good enough for the boss to scout him out of the cannon fodder and give him a relatively important position in the organization.

Ever since the boss had ordered him the execution of his newest plan, however, that alarm had been blowing off like nuts. He made sure to make it very clear to the boss. And yet, he was ordered to see it through. After all, it was a necessary evil.

Right now, seeing one of his men down on the floor and the other held up with a knife in his throat, he realized how bad this big was going to be.

Kane averted his gaze from the two incapable (err, incapacitated) man and to the person walking up to him with a gun pointing to his head.

Which, in my opinion, should be held in higher priority. But hey, it’s your brains, not mine.

“W-Who are you? What do you want?” Failing to suppress a fearful stutter, Kane tried to sound as calmed as possible. He held his hand on the holster of his gun and looked straight at the man’s eyes pitch-black eyes.

That’s strange, I’d swear I saw a purple glint… Wait, I’ve got bigger problems right now. Gun-size problems.

“Now that, Kane, is a really interesting question.”

“How do you…?” The fact that this mysterious man knew his name made him even more nervous, as if to say he wasn’t scared enough by now. He had gone through a lot of rough situations in the organization but to say he had been pointed a 9mm to the forehead with no way of defending would be a lie.

“In case you didn’t notice, Kane, I am the one holding the gun. My subordinate over there is also quite capable of cutting a vent hole on your friend’s windpipe, just to be clear. I advise you to let me ask the questions… but of course, you are free to do otherwise if so you wish.”

And now I don’t know which one is bigger, my fear or my need to pluck out this guy’s eyes.

Sighhh.

Finally, realizing there was no other way out of this, Kane threw his gun to the floor, kicked over Lawrence and held his hands up in the air.

“Alright. I’m all yours.”

Yuck. That came out wrong.

 

•••••

 

Well, it didn’t go that bad after all. One man down and the other two are neutralized…

Lawrence took a peek to the toy gun he had been using to threaten one of the suspicious men.

Still, I expected Mika to have some combat experience but holy hell, that was on another level. I wonder what kind of unstable environment one would have to live in, to have that level of skills.

As soon as he had given her the go sign (and inevitably contaminated his own mouth with indescribable smell), she had vanished from her place and he drew the toy gun. She had appeared just behind the rear man’s back, hit him in the nape and knocked him out. By the time the one in the middle had realized what was happening, she had grabbed the unconscious man’s knife and used it to immobilize him.

After that, Lawrence only had to jump out of the dark and stop the guy in the front from drawing his gun.

What surprises me the most is that she actually did it all in less than three seconds. That… Wow.

He had also used his newest feature, the Soul Stare, on the man he was pointing a gun at. The only thing that popped out was the name “Kane”, so he assumed the man had no special skills whatsoever.

“Very well” he said, making sure as always to sound as dignified as possible. “Mikaella, knock them out. As for you two…” He looked at both men’s eyes.

“If you try anything suspicious… Well, let’s just say you will have as much lead in your bodies as you have water. Did I make myself clear?”

Two nods.

“Very well then. Mikaella, whenever you want.”

 

 


Sorry for the sudden hiatus. I'll try to start posting again, at least one chapter a week. Vacation's over and it sucks... Anyways, chapter will be now 3000k words to make up for the terrible update ratio. Cheers!

6