Chapter 13 – Departure and Reluctance
332 4 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next three days passed without much notice. I spent my days in glee with my newfound friends. I couldn’t leave the palace grounds, yet we found other ways to enjoy ourselves.

We spent much time in the area of meadows and grasslands laying far past the initial reach of the vanished forest. Here I sparred with Varey using what little grasp of the powers each of us had.

Viruka stood as like a mock proctor for us, and we laughed at her much to her annoyance.

Days passed with such glee, I thought I was in the highest heaven.

On what was to be the final day, we strolled a ways farther than where we usually stayed. One might think it to be an ill idea, yet I can assure we were of sound mind and had nothing to fear.

As we walked the path of the rolling hills, Varey asked, “What do you plan to do when we’re gone, Yurva?”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“There’s going to be celebrations and festivities for Arhmanah in a few months,” said Varey. “Do you think you will be able to leave the palace at that time?”

“Where will they be held?”

“I don’t know yet,” he said. “But wherever it is, the two of us will surely attend! We hope to see you there. I hear that there might also be a competition of sorts, but of what nature, I’m unsure.”

I thought on this, seeming unsure to them. Then Viruka held my hand, and I blushed.

“Please you must come,” she said with eyes that moistened with what could become tears.

In a fluster, I said, “Alright, alright, I’ll come! I’ll figure something out before that time comes.”

She was happy as could be.

Varey with a great smile, said, “Then that’s where we will next meet!”

Dusk was to come soon, and we made back to the palace in higher spirits. There was still doubt in me, but I couldn’t rescind my promise. I had to rectify this situation in one way or another.


The morning of the fourth arrived. All discussions were finished, and all plans were finalized between the two kings. The next expedition had been set for the following month.

Reports had already come that the Demons were bolstering their forces but had yet to regain their former power. King Desyar was, however, cautious. He desired any form of renewed resistance by our forsaken kin to be met as soon as could be had.

With that, King Anyur was set to embark home. He would leave his children there, and route toward the middle of the supercontinent. There was set the encampments of the combined forces of the Freelands.

I had tears in my eyes that day, for I didn’t wish my first friends to leave me soon.

“Didn’t I tell you to not be so meek?” Varey said, sighing. “What will tears do you now? Don’t worry, hold your promise and we’ll meet again! No matter the time or the distance! Come to the south should you have chance.”

“Yes, you must visit,” said Viruka. “Please don’t forget about us!”

I wiped my tears and laughed. “How could I forget my dearest friends! One day, when I’m able, I’ll visit your home. Perhaps by then, the Demons will have been chased away by our fathers.”

The two kings laughed at what I said.

“We shall see! We shall see,” said my father.

“It is time we departed, friend,” said King Anyur. “I shall see you again on the battlefield. The Gods watch over us!”

They embarked on their resplendent chariots and flew to the aerial ship. Varey and Viruka waved to me and I returned it with my hand overhead. The sun was bright. The air was hot. The wind was still.

I looked to the ship that departed slowly from the vicinity.

When it crossed over the horizon, my father asked, “Have you fell for the beauty of the princess?”

I blushed in embarrassment, and said, “No, of course not!”

My father laughed. “Well, you can deny it if you wish, though I can see the affection on your face. All I will say is that, if you choose to one day wed her, then you must win yourself against the other princes who will no doubt vie for her. And one of those princes will be her brother, whose duty will be to put to test any who succeed. It matters not what her thoughts are in this matter, for the construction of alliances remains the most paramount. So, I tell you, do not slack when your training begins.”

I gulped. I hadn’t expected the competition for women to be as fierce as it was. The process my father outlined reminded me of an oft-forgotten tradition of old of my previous home that mirrored this custom.

Regardless, his words were right. If I decided to wed her, then it was paramount that I display my prowess before the other members of royalty.

There was doubt that held me from completely resolving to this endeavor. I wondered if I could even make a good husband, or even a good king. I had to find a solution to my dreadfully wayward mind!

With those words spent, my father with his retinue returned to the palace. I stayed outside, watching the pyramid of the ship vanish into the horizon. Beads of sweat dripped along my forehead, and I could feel the salt in my mouth.

I wondered how long this would persist? These days of nonchalance to which I had so grown accustomed. And the loneliness that covered my heart.

I felt that loneliness should continue for some time. And it would. Yet the one who promised to watch over me would eventually return. And do so in a fashion unlike anything I had yet to expect.

12