Chapter 24 – Fight of Desperation
133 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I swung the sword slowly as I moved toward the giant. The giant brandished its spears of flames. Its color had become like blood. The form above was like fire, but below I could see it drip like liquid. The drops melted the surface in front of the giant, while it grumbled.

How long must you persist? Will you not fall? While I admire your determination, my wrath only grows with each passing moment. If I blaze the whole of my powers, you shall fall to me and burn as like one who’s been thrust into the deepest pits of the Hells! Forget your life, you can only beg to end your suffering before being moved to an inanimate state.

“If you so dearly wish me to fall now, then why not blaze your powers as you say,” I said. “My persistence shall hold till either you fall, I fall, or you yield! Death holds no power over me, for even should my body fall, I will remain resolute in soul. Let whatever suffering come my way, as I hold to my determination against you. My master believes in me, and as such I shall do whatever it takes to end this, both of us left alive!”

The giant was surprised and bellowed a great laugh.

You speak as if you have already won! Very well! You who are eager toward bodily death, let my power blaze like the sun and burn you till naught is left! Child of the Marhan, let your end come now.

He held the spears high, and their flames rose to the Heavens. Then they descended with greater force and enveloped the whole of the giant. His mane rose and waved like water. The ends of its hair became longer and fired with such intense flames as to make it seem as if both the Radiant Sun and the Immortal Fire descended into one being.

His skin showed through the flames, but its gray-brown color was replaced by the hue of the Sun. The gas that effused from his person was like the emission of the distant quasars, and as they arced, they mimicked the solar waves ejected from our very sun.

All about him, whatever scarce vegetation there laid, was alighted by fire that melted the surface. Now the ground had been replaced with magma.

It slowly flowed my way. I remained unaware of it, transfixed on the giant. Its form to me brought both awe and dread.

As it rested its arms, the form of the spears loosened. They became as like whips, spilling excess molten discharge.

It walked toward me, and I hesitated in mind. My plan wasn’t yet fully executed. And though the giant was where I sought it to be, I felt I had made a mistake to goad it as much as I did.

I looked to the sage, who stood silent yet attentive to our actions. She looked my way and grinned.

I was ready to soil myself and here I saw my master looking to me such an ill-fitting reaction that I couldn’t help but laugh at myself.

I coursed the last of my powers into my blade. A pillar of lightning rushed to the Heavens, descending moments later in form as tall as the giant.

My head went light, but I kept myself stable. I continued walking slowly toward the giant, who made its way to me with heavy steps.

How was I to overcome this challenge? Would the tournament be as fierce as this? Would I truly be ready? Thoughts as such clouded my mind. But there was no place for fear. I had cast that aside for the moment. Now it was time to meet my potential doom head-on!

I sprinted, crying aloud. I coursed the lightning with as much energy as I could muster. The giant alike did as I did, breaking the soil with his steps and melting it as he came my way.

Shielding myself with earth and air, I made through the molten ground. And when I reached striking range, I swung my blade of lightning with such ferocity to make the sky roar with the clashes of thunder. The bull of the sky, Dusdrahah, was surely watching, and I had to put my mettle to test. I couldn’t dishonor the element of his control.

With each swing of mine, the giant matched it with his lashes of flame and light. It seemed as if we were equal, but I was indeed being pushed back. I couldn’t hold against the giant whose power far exceeded my own.

With several swings of the giant’s whip, I was knocked away with traces of the magma melting my face. When I rose, I could feel the burn on my face as the muscle and sinew was in my touch. My skin was falling apart. I had pushed myself too far.

But there was no going back.

I had to continue, and so I blazed the lightning with as much of the aether I could muster. It was an element by itself that I had little control over. Even with the little I learned of it from Yurvaonri, I had scarce an idea of maintaining it, let alone in offense. It seemed by luck I had understood the ways of manufacturing lightning, but using the aether alone would prove more difficult.

The arcs of blue were shaded with the absence of color; the void of space. I broke the long blade into three thinner strains. And with a great cry, I shouted, “Let the Lord of Thunder give me his might; let his bolt tear you asunder!”

I swung the blade in a way overhead as like a sportsman from my world. The sword left my hold and flew toward the giant. As like the disk of Vshepah1The god of fate and a rather illusive figure., it spun with edged corners that served as the points of discharge. The arcs of lightning created another layer, and from that spun a third layer of frayed branches.

It forced itself through the giant’s layer of fire, and cut through its arm and leg. The giant was sent to kneel before the sky, as the blood molten flowed as like the great rivers of Arhmanah.

But the giant cried:

This shall not end as such! Come to me, child! Let your end be met here!

The giant swung his whip, and as I fell from exhaustion, I was grabbed by the flames of its hold. I, at that moment, created a barrier of air. Though with my lack of control, the air I could breathe grew thin.

The whip carried me with great speed to the giant, who looked on in delight.

What more can you do, prince of the Marhan? Will you squirm to your very end. How far shall I continue this assault to your being? Will you not yield and let death come to take you.

I knew the giant was goading me to speak. For if I did so, my hold would be lost and the air ruptured, and my skin to be set aflame with the fire of its body.

I looked to the giant and gnashed my teeth. I said, “Do what you will! But so long as I have the will to live, I will resist every advance of death! My life is cursed to be forfeit at a young age, yet so be it if it must. If Fate has decreed that I should end here, then let the Gods do as they wish. But until my end, I shall not let them take my will! My will to live, my will to resist, my will to leave a legacy befit for the Prince of the Immortal King of the Land of the Well-Skilled! And until then I shall continue to fight!”

I broke the hold of the giant, tearing through its hands. I landed on the stomach that felt surprisingly cool, creating continuous layers of water thick and hot. Ah! My mind was in flight as the zeal of battle overcame me. My sword was gone, but I still had my hands, no matter how they languished. I amassed the aether and struck through its belly!

The giant cried, and given the signal, I raced down to the side. The giant sought to slap me on its belly, but I was too quick.

When I neared the exit I desired, I halted and dispelled my powers. I fell toward the molten ground. The entrails of the giant fell into the pool of magma, and it screamed in terror. It toppled to its side, having gone unconscious from the shock.

I looked to see that terrible sight, but my thoughts wandered toward respite. I felt I was to die there, and that perhaps it wouldn’t be such a bad end. But just as I was to meet my doom, I was cradled in gentle arms and brought into a tender embrace.

“You have done well, Yurva,” said my master with a great smile on her face.

I wish I could respond, but I fell to unconsciousness in the first of many times, just as you had. So ended that battle with the reckless and hateful giant.

Thanks for reading!

3