Chapter CXXVII She bit a Bone in two!?
3.6k 15 57
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Ovi’ta pulled her panties up, and stood up. She felt better now, and briefly glanced up at the sky. It was so peaceful right now, and for the moment she wasn’t with that crazy goddess. She briefly considered not returning to camp, but knew that was pointless. There was no point trying to run away from that crazy goddess. With a sigh, she figured she better get back to camp. All the while hoping something would change.

Nearing the camp, she heard some strange crunching, and cracking sounds. That made her slow her pace, and look around. Nothing seemed out of place. Her view of the camp was blocked however by a very large, very old tree. Slowly she made her way around the tree. A loud snapping sound made her jump, but there weren’t any broken branches beneath her feet. It was something else.

Peeking around the tree, she froze. Her gaze locked onto Arlie. To be more accurate, what was in her mouth. It was a leg bone from a Dynaki, the same one they had killed earlier for their meal. To her shock, there was no flesh left on the Dynaki and half the bones were gone. Dynakis were large herbivores about half the size of a small dragon. Most of the flesh had still been on that Dynaki when she had left to use the flowers just five minutes ago. Now practically nothing was left. Did Arlie eat the entire thing? That was ridiculous, the creature was huge, and she was so tiny. She jumped at another loud crack sound, and to her shock the bone in Arlie’s mouth snapped in two. That was shocking for more reasons than one, but the biggest was that a Dynaki’s bones were stronger than steel. A series of loud crunching sounds followed, as she crushed the bone under her teeth. Before swallowing the freshly powdered bone.

“You know it is kind of rude to stare.”

She stuttered incoherently. Arlie flapped her wings, and said, “It’s not that weird, you know. I’m related to dragons, and both of our species eat bone. Its very important to the health of our scales”

Ovi’ta didn’t know what to say. So instead, she said nothing. She walked over and sat on the ground. While Arlie grabbed another bone, and started to chew on it. By now the young half-celestial had a feeling that she really had eaten the entire Dynaki, minus the small bit Ovi’ta had eaten before leaving to water some flowers. She had no idea how, though. Where did she put it? Her belly had swollen up now that she was looking, but it wasn’t nearly enough space for that large creature.

Arlie broke the silence, a few moments later. “We are almost to our destination. One more flight, and we will reach the Forbidden Continent.”

She wasn’t looking forward to that. She retorted, “Can you even fly? Especially after eating more than, what a dozen times your body weight?”

Arlie giggled, and then glanced down at the mostly gone carcass. “I can. While not particularly normal for me, most members of my species enjoy a large meal like this once every few months.”

Ovi’ta wasn’t sure what to comment on, and was silent a moment before saying. “What do you mean not particularly normal for you?”

“Normally I just eat a few small meals each day. I eat so little in fact that my mates used to tease me that I would never grow if I didn’t eat more. There is a bit of a story behind that, I might tell you later. Of course now that I am pregnant, my normal habits are out the window so to speak.”

Ovi’ta was a little surprised to hear that. Arlie had not looked it, at least not until she ate almost an entire Dynaki. Under her breath she muttered, “Sorry to hear that.” As she felt a surge of pity for this crazy god's unborn child. Then something occurred to her, “Wait!? Who was stupid enough to stick their dick in a girl that crazy?”

Unfortunately, she must have said that aloud because Arlie glared at her, “I hate men. My mates are a very cute pair of twins, and I ain’t crazy either!”

Ovi’ta just wanted to bury herself in the deepest hole she could find. She said nothing in response, as her body flushed red. The young half celestial could not believe she had just said that.

Arlie could hear Ovi’ta’s panicked thoughts quite clearly. It reminded her a little of when she was very young. It had been a very different time, and her circumstances were different. Yet, she too had wanted to hide from her problems. Just it never really worked. Reminded of her past, she started to reminisce.

She had been born on ancient Earth, the original Earth, not one of the copies that were created after. Born in the twilight years of the twentieth century, she was born in time to see the twilight of an age. She witnessed many things, including the Second American Civil War. The Third World War, the three Colonial Wars, the Cathamari War. The Fall of Old Earth, and the birth of the Solean people. She rose to be a leader of the fledgling Solean people, and led them through many conflicts before eventually bringing them home to Earth, where she founded the Solean Empire.

That was all long ago. So long ago that everyone she knew then had already long passed. A bit ironic really, considering she was the eldest of five siblings. Yet she had stood above the graves of all four of her younger siblings. Graves that are now long lost to the ravages of time. Nothing is eternal, although she seemed to be testing that statement. She knew not how much longer her life would last, but she could feel it in her soul. There would be no next life for her when she died. Her soul was ancient and it was reaching the limits of its own lifespan. Yet the end was still a long way off. She still had time to cheat death one more time.

Arlie leaned forward, and said, “Running from your problems never works. Sure you could go bury yourself in the deepest hole you can find. For a time, it seems to work, but it only allows your problems to fester and grow. They will only grow worse if you don’t confront them.”

Ovi’ta gave her a strange look, but said nothing. Arlie sighed, “Well, just think about what I said okay? In the meantime, we better get going. No need to waste daylight.”

They took wing not long after that. Ovi’ta was silent for an hour or two before she finally said something. Without looking back Arlie replied, “Those who allow fear to rule them have already lost. Don’t let your fear control you, don’t hide from your problems, face them head on.”

She could feel Ovi’ta’s gaze as she declared, “My only real problem is you. How in the infernal planes do you expect me to face a goddess head on!?”

Arlie giggled, “Glad to see you working it out. So you don’t like me, and think I am crazy? I assure you I am not, but only time will let you really get to know me. Nothing I have done has been without reason.”

“Like your practically attacking me?”

Arlie shook her head, “I immunized you actually. Trust me you will need that. Maybe I should have warned you, but it’s a bit late for what ifs. Best not to fall into that trap.”

They would spend the next few hours bickering. Before they eventually reached the Forbidden continent.


It was getting a little late when they finally reached the barrier surrounding the Forbidden Continent. Ovi’ta stared at the barrier, and asked. “How exactly are we getting past this barrier anyway?”

Arlie replied, “Oh, that is actually the easy part. Just like the walls of a town, this barrier has gates. They will allow us easy passage through the barrier, although there are other ways past the barrier.”

“A gate? Aren’t gates usually guarded?”

“Well, yes. In this case we will need a passcode to get through. I thankfully have everything we need to pass through this barrier.”

“So where is this gate anyway?”

“Right here,” commented Arlie moments before a floating island manifested beneath them. An island that Arlie promptly landed on. Not that it was particularly large, it had only a single tree on it, and space for a small camp, and it was nestled right against the barrier.

She landed behind Arlie, who said, “Here it is, the entrance to the forbidden continent, the ancient homeland of the primal elves, but before we go. There are things you must know. This place is not like the outside world. It is a very different world, one that followed a different path...”

57