Chapter 1
720 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

You know, I never thought that I would be reincarnated in the future. In my mind, the future was like Mass Effect or Star Trek. But sadly, reality and expectations sometimes are very different.

I was a young man in my thirties. I was, yes. In my previous life, I was a young man who worked in a place that always made their employees work till they were burning out every day. Yup. I worked in retail.

However, it changed when I got hit by a truck when I walked back home.

The next thing I know, I open my eyes as a baby. I was so excited to be reincarnated into the future and started to think that I could ride a fucking spaceship. However, my dream was destroyed when I saw the world's situation.

Earth is on the brink of destruction. The entire world is so polluted that even the blue sky no longer exists. The sky was always hidden behind black smog, while the sun made only brief appearances now and then. Thick, toxic fog frequently covered the cities, so almost no one went out without wearing a gas mask beforehand.

Trees no longer exist in this world; every person needs an artificial lung to breathe. Even then, they still need a gas mask unless they want to die.

Furthermore, when it is a wet season, the rain is not water but rather acid that can burn skin and smell rotten. Because of this, there are no more traditional farming methods, at least in this country, according to my parents.

All farming happens inside a dome where they create artificial sun and oxygen to let the vegetable and fruit live. Because of this, the price of raw and 'pure' fruit skyrocketed. So most people eat an artificial food called Nutrient-Pill. It is not food but a pill that fills you up for a day. That is why people will take this pill every morning or before work.

It was relatively cheap, but the poorer people could only afford it every two days, and they needed to cut them in half each day before eating it.

Anyway, this country, Japan, is ruled by a huge conglomerate. That's right. This country is no longer a constitutional monarchy but a Corporatocracy, a country that corporations run. Lucky for me, I was born into a family that owns a large corporation.

My parents own the food industry in this District and can be considered an uncrowned queen and king of the District. Do you want to mess with us? You and your family will not get any food and will die from starvation.

Even the other districts will hesitate to attack us because we also export our food to them.

Because of this, I became one of the most eligible bachelors in the entire District and one of the top five in the whole country. It comes with a lot of positives but also a lot of negatives. The positive is that I can get whatever I want, and the negative is that many people want me for my family's fortune instead of myself.

I don't mind a one-night stand and all, but I want someone I can trust not to stab me and use me for their needs and ambition. That is why even though I'm already at the age of twenty-two, I have yet to be married.

At this time of age, twenty-two years old is considered thirty-five in my previous world. The reason? Well, with the world as it is, fifty years old is already regarded as old age, while sixty is already considered a miracle for people in this era.

For a large conglomerate family, the first son or daughter needs to work very hard because they will be the ones taking care of the company of their parents, and lucky for me, I'm the fourth child. I don't have a lot of pressure like my brother and sister.

And that is my life goal. I don't want to inherit my family business and get involved in many underground wars with my siblings, which my siblings know. So as long as they send money to me and leave me alone, I will not disturb their war of succession.

Ah, I have yet to introduce myself, huh? My name is Yagi Ukyo from the Ukyo family, one of the wealthiest families in Japan and the top hundred wealthiest families worldwide.

Anyway, my life goal in this life is to be a NEET. I have spent all of my previous life getting a higher education and working. I am already tired of it. After finishing high school, I decided to take the NEET and not do anything.

So here I spend all of my days playing games.

I mostly play a game called YGGDRASIL, a Dive Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, or DMMO-RPG for short. It was a fucking great game. It was just like an anime in my previous life called Sword Life Online but without the trapped-inside-the-game thing.

How is that anime going, I wonder? The last time I watched it, it was when Kirito managed to kill the creator of the game in a duel and managed to wake up. I also remember that they are still airing and will be going to the second arc of the season.

Anyway, YGGDRASIL is like that type of game. However, it uses something called Neural Nano-Interface that lets the human brain function as a supercomputer. Usually, people need to inject the nanomachine inside their body whenever they need to play YGGDRASIL. Lucky for me, I have the VIP version of nanomachines that lets me play every day for a month with only one injection.

Money is really convenient.

I take the VR helmet and sit on the gaming chair, specializing in DMMO-RPG. I plug the cable into my neck where the Neural Port is located to connect my brain to the digital world. Every human in this ear will need this Neural Port by installing a brain augmentation into your body. This allows you to access many digital worlds, which is sometimes required for your work.

If you did not have it, you would have a hard time in this era.

After plugging in the cable, my vision starts to change, and I can see a blue room in front of me with many tabs like news, recommended videos, and entertainment. I press the entertainment tab and see a lot of games in my library.

These are the games that I plan to play but have yet to play to the point that some of those games were already closed before I could even play them.

I quickly go to the bottom of the list and press YGGDRASIL. I was transported into a lone castle in the sky a few seconds later.

"I'm back."

23