Chapter 33 – The Moment of Calm
663 4 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                We were just finishing dinner when Sir Fionn, and Lord Garret Bol, the King’s spymaster entered the dining room.  Their faces looked grim, and they came directly for King Conner.  Bad news, then, I thought.  Like we need more of it.  Kip  was with them, and leapt from Fionn’s arms and ran to leap into Tika’s seat and mrow for pettings. 

 

                “Hey Kip!  Are you a good boy?”

 

                “He is a very good boy, Tika.”  Lord Garret began.  “For tonight he has revealed a dire secret.  Your Majesty, I need to speak with you immediately… And King Castiel as well.”

 

                “Of course.”  King Conner replied, motioning for me to follow. I rose and followed the two men to an antechamber off the dining room, and waited to here Lord Garrets news. 

 

                “My King, Queen Hemlock has infiltrated your house.  In the dungeons, with Fionn and Kip’s aid we found three dead bodies – two of which I could identify.  Lady Donella, and Clayton Forester – Williams manservant.  They have been slain and people have been flesh shaped to take their place.  I could not identify the third person.

 

                “It was Darla – one of our servants.  Castiel’s friend Tika discovered her putting poison into both his and my cups.”

 

                “Then we are fortunate indeed, my King, that all of the traitors and spies have been discovered.  What are your commands?”

 

                “I would normally make use of them – but we are on the eve of marching to war.  Round them up and confine them to the dungeon – and question them at your earliest convenience – or kill them if they resist.  We cannot leave these vipers in play while I march to war.  It’s too dangerous to leave them alive.”

 

                “I understand, sir.  I will deal with Sir Janiver first, and then Clayton.”  Lord Garret replied.

 

                “You shall have my aid as well, Lord Garret.”  Sir Fionn joined in.  “My powers will determine if they are loyal and true, or if they are false copies.”

 

                “Very well.  Are we agreed, Castiel?”  King Conner asked.

 

                “This is your realm, King Conner,” I replied.  “But this seems to be the course of wisdom.  It wouldn’t do to march to war and leave threats behind you to undermine your rule, or harm your family.”

 

                “Remember that, Castiel, for when you rule a kingdom of your own.”  King Conner replied.

 

                “I shall, Conner.  I should return to Rachel and Morag, and let them know what has happened.”

 

                “And I should tell Elissa and my sons, William and Lugh.  They need to know too.  I suggest you get ready to travel, Castiel – we’ll likely be leaving for Callenden within the next two or three days – long enough for Alyssa to brew that second potion, should we need it.”

 

                “I’ll let them know, Conner.  I think it would be best if Eacharn stayed here – to better help maintain our supply train.  He’s been working with Lugh on that, and they know what’s going on.  I assume Prince William and King Roderic will be joining us?”

 

                “Aye, as will Lugh.  Bill, my grandson, will stay behind with my wife Elissa, and William’s and Lugh’s wives.  The battlefield is no place for non-combatants.”

 

                “If you have no objections, I would like Lady Morag to come with us.”  I asked.

 

                “Why, lad?”

 

                “Because if we win, I would like her in Callenden with me and Rachel – and because there are many things she can teach me to prepare for the throne as we travel.  I believe she would like to come with us as well.”

 

                “As long as she stays out of the fighting, I have no objections.”  King Conner replied.

 

                I strongly suspect my future queen will have some objections, I thought, but wisely said nothing.  “I’ll let the ladies and my friends know.”

 

                “Excellent.  Castiel, there is still the matter of Tika’s reward.  What do you suggest?”

 

                “I am afraid I have no idea what would be appropriate?  Some coin seems too paltry for saving our lives.”

 

                “I agree.  Very well, I have an idea of something she may like.  Will you leave it to me?”  King Conner asked.

 

                “Of course, Conner.  I take it’s intended as a surprise?”

 

                “Yes, you might.”  He said with a grin.

 

                “Well, then, I look forward to it.”

 

                “Excuse me, Milord.  Do I have your leave to deal with this mess?”  Lord Garret interjected.

 

                “Wha…?  Of course, Lord Garret.  Do what you have to do.  On my command.”  King Conner replied, looking a bit surprised he and Sir Fionn were still here.

 

                I guess wise men didn’t walk out of a room while their kings were still talking.  Another lesson learned.

 

                “Thank you, Your Majesty.  Come, Sir Fionn.”

 

                “Aye.  I’m with you, Lord Garret.  My apologies, Castiel – I may not return to my quarters until late.”

 

                “No harm done, Fionn.  Do what you must.  I will go speak with Rachel and Morag.”

 

                Fionn saluted me – and I returned it, and he turned to leave.

 

                “Your Majesty, we should return to the dinner table, or at least find our people and inform them of this treachery.  I will be ready to ride in time.”

 

                “Very well.  Let us depart, then.”

 

                We left the antechamber, to find the others still waiting for us at the dinner table.

 

                “What has transpired, my husband?”  Queen Elissa asked King Conner.

 

                “Dire news.  We should retire to our chambers to discuss it.  Roderick, William, Lugh – please come with us.  The rest of you, I promise I will return them soon.” 

 

                “And we should talk also.  Rachel, Alyssa, Tika, Lady Morag, and Eacharn, would you join me in my chambers to discuss what happens next?”

 

                There was a chorus of “Yes” and “Of course!” from the others, and we excused ourselves from the table, and returned to my quarters.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

Once we returned to my quarters, we took seats and I began to speak.  “Thanks everyone.  Sir Fionn and Lord Garret discovered that Queen Hemlock has infiltrated Erevale with shapeshifted spies – made possible through Queen Hemlock’s flesh-shaping.  Lord Garret is rounding up the remaining traitors tonight with Fionn’s aid, and then questioning them.  Lady Donella, Clayton Forester, and Darla, a maidservant have been slain and replaced!”

 

“Oh my!  Then who has been sharing Sir Janiver’s bed these past six months or longer?”  Princess Morag asked out loud.

 

“We don’t know – but it’s not the woman he married.”

 

“How awful!”

 

“Indeed.  I have other news as well.  We march to war in two to three days.  Can you have your magic negating potion created by then, Alyssa?”

 

“Yes, Cass.  I can have it done sometime tomorrow, if I work all day.” 

 

“Great!  Did you want to come with us, to battle?  Or would you prefer to stay here?”

 

“To be honest, I’m frightened of battle – but I think I would be of more help going with you than staying behind.  There might be more poisoning attempts.”

 

“And I’m coming!”  Tika chirped.

 

“Lady Morag, your father has said you can accompany me if you wish, officially to teach me in rulership as we ride.”

 

“And unofficially?”  She asked.

 

“So you can plant as many poisoned arrows in Queen Hemlocks face as your bow can produce.”  I said with a grin.

 

“You see, you already are learning to put my talents to good use.”  Morag replied with a grin.  “Good.”

 

“Rachel, I won’t be an idiot and suggest you stay here.  I’d rather have you and Morag at my side.”

 

“Which is where I should be.  Besides, you could use an extra sorceress, even if I am not as trained as many.  Of course I’ll be with you.  Duh.”

 

I smiled at Rachel’s response. 

 

                “Eacharn, it was suggested that you stay here, and help protect and organize the logistics of our supply train, and join us in Callenden once we take the city and regain control.”

 

                “As you wish, my King.”  He said, relieved.  “I will join you once you are on the throne, then.”

 

                “Excellent.  We have a lot to do in the next few days, everyone – so starting tomorrow morning, we’d best be about it.”

 

                Everyone nodded.  It was decided… In two days – maybe three, at most – we marched to war.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                The next day was full of hustle and bustle – Fionn and I checked our gear, cleaned our weapons and armor, and made sure everything was packed, while simultaneously attempting to make sure Alyssa, Rachel, and Tika were ready and prepared as well.  Alyssa had Rachel pack most of her things – she spent most of her day brewing the anti-magic potion we had looked so hard for.  Tika did her best to stay out of everyone’s way, and spend most of the day with Kip, saying goodbye – he would be staying in Erevale until we won the war, and would return to Callenden with Eacharn assuming all went well.  Princess Morag and her men, Eoghan and Dunny worked with us as well, and arranged horses, tents, and other supplies (as well as slipping in some combat gear for herself – such as a chainmail shirt, some bracers, as well as her custom shortbow and three dozen arrows in a large quiver.)

 

                As the afternoon came to a close, I wrote a bit in my journal, logging the events of the day and previous days – and took note of the time.  It was the 7th of Summersend.  Rachel and Alyssa’s Twin Soul ceremony should be on the first day of the Harvest festival, 36 days hence.  One and a bit Earth months – or just under a Mercian month.  36 days never seemed so close, and so far at the same time before.  I grinned at the thought.  I’ll bet Rachel and Alyssa could tell me the exact number of days as well.  They’re champing at the bit, and I don’t blame them one bit. 

 

                King Conner had told me that his reward for Tika would be presented tonight… but he refused to say what said reward was, just mentioning that it was appropriate, and both Tika and I would probably be thrilled.  I had to admit I was curious – but dinner was only a few hours away, so I knew my curiosity would be sated soon.   I finished my journal entry, and put the pen away, and corked the inkwell.  There would be precious little journal writing in the coming days – only walking and scouting parties – followed by armed conflict and battle reports.  Heh… I suppose I could write more in my journal later, but honestly, I couldn’t see when I would have the time.

 

                Sir Fionn had had me reading the book of the Divine Familia for the past several nights before bed, although to be honest, I hadn’t needed much urging.  The book – much like our Bible back home – was partly the history of their faith and people, and partly the teachings of their elders and gods – except here on Mercia, it apparently was far more common for gods and angels to appear to people and dispense divine wisdom – which to be fair, I had experienced myself.  It’s hard to get the tenets of the religion wrong, when an angel can – and literally has in the past – come down to the practitioners, and say “No… No… You’re doing it wrong.  Do it like this…” and actually help them stay on the path. 

 

                At times I couldn’t help but wonder if our world would have turned out different if Angels had done that with our people?  To be fair, its possible they had done it, and we still screwed it up – but I didn’t think so.  For whatever reason, on Earth the gods seemed unnaturally silent, compared to Mercia – but maybe that was the way of things.  Mercia was a younger culture in some ways – maybe the people of Earth were in a different stage of development?  In the end, I decided it didn’t matter – it was one of the many differences between our worlds.  It was interesting, but it didn’t have any bearing on my life or Rachel’s, not since we decided to stay on Mercia forever. 

 

                I realized I really missed toilet paper.  And the internet.  And Ice cream.  And I also realized they weren’t worth going back for.  My mom and dad would be worth going back for – but I could never convince them to come here.  They would just think I was crazy like Grandma, and lock me up.  I sniffed back a tear that threatened to spill down my cheek, and said a prayer for mom and dad.  I miss them most out of anything left on Earth.  I hope one day they’re proud of me.

 

                I sighed.  It was time to get ready for dinner.  I went to get some appropriate clothes on, and began the process of dressing for a fancy state dinner.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                The castle’s dining hall tonight was abuzz with gossip and excitement as we all entered…  Rachel and I knew that King Conner planned to reward Tika, and I think Alyssa and Tika suspected it as well – and Tika was so nervous, she was clutching her fuzzy tail like it was a life preserver.  Sir Fionn was dressed nicely in a fancy shirt, pants and boots, with a green vest of velvet over his shirt.  He looked a bit like a noble, and to be fair, I could totally see him as the lord of a small town dressed that way.  Rachel had found some jewelry and looked every bit the queen that she would one day become.  Alyssa was wearing a fancy gown as well – I suspect Lady Morag had opened her closets to the two girls to help them maintain appearances.  Eacharn was snappily dressed as well, and was escorting Alyssa on his arm, with which her grin of happiness showed that she was quite content.

 

                As we approached the high table, King Connor stood, and waited for us.  We reached the stage with the high table, and waited for the King to speak.

 

                “People of Erevale!  Yesterday, a young Reechi woman by the name of Tika Calhoun, saved both my life and King Castiel’s life by detecting both poison in our cups, and the assassin who perpetrated such deeds.  She captured her – and even now, she and her cohorts are spilling all they know to our most loyal Spymaster.  Today, we stand in honor of this young Reechi woman for her bravery, valor, and cunning in time of great need!”

 

                As the king spoke, every person – from aged spinster to youngest child, stood in honor of Tika, and saluted!  Tika, put on the spot, nearly froze with apprehension.

 

                “Tika Calhoun, come forth and kneel before me.” Proclaimed King Connor.

 

                “Y…Yes Your Majesty!”  Tika said timidly, and clambered down Alyssa’s gown to the floor, where she knelt before King Connor.

 

                “Tika Calhoun,” King Conner began, drawing his sword, and laying it gently on Tika’s left shoulder, “For your service to Erevale and my person,  I dub you a Knight Protector of Erevale, of the order of the Aster.  Rise, Dame Calhoun, and claim your prize for your friendship and loyalty!  As a gesture of my regard, and in respect for your bravery, I bestow upon you your symbol of rank… This Reechi Flying Cloak, emblazoned with Erevale’s Coat of Arms.”

 

                “A… Flying Cloak, your Majesty?  For me!?”  Tika sputtered, looking utterly shocked.  “A lady knight?!”  Tika took a moment, and composed herself.  “Thank you, your Majesty.  I shall hold this a great honor for the rest of my days.  If I can serve Erevale, while not betraying my Kingdom and my friends, then I shall.”

 

                “Well spoken, Dame Calhoun.  Rise, my Knight, and join your friends.”  King Connor replied, handing Tika the Flying cloak, and buckling it around her neck.  “I hope you like it, Dame Calhoun.”

 

                “I love it!”  Tika beamed.  “I’m never going to forget this, your Majesty!”  Tika curtsied once more, and instead of scampering back to Alyssa’s shoulder, she simply lifted off the ground and flew to her friends shoulder, aided by the magic of the cloak.  “This is amazing!” She whispered into Alyssa’s ear, hoping no one else could hear.

 

                “Congratulations, Dame Calhoun.”  Alyssa replied with happiness.  “I’m so happy for you.”

 

                “Yes, Congratulations, Dame Calhoun!  Awesome!”  Rachel called out.

 

                “As are we all!”  I replied.  “Congratulations, Tika!  I’m sure your parents will be very proud!”

 

                “Oh!  My Parents!  We were just supposed to go on a safe walk to Callenden!  They’ll be freaking out!”  Tika exclaimed.

 

                “No more than my parents will.”  Alyssa laughed.  “Like it or not, we’ve been swept up in Rachel and Cass’s fate – and we won’t be home before we see it finished.”

 

                “I guess not.”  Tika replied a little glumly.  “Still, this is amazing!”

 

                “Tika, What is a Reechi flying cloak?”  I asked.  “I’m assuming it’s a cloak that lets you fly, but is it something more?”

 

                “Yes it is, Cass!  It’s a cloak that lets Reechi fly – if you were my size, but still human, it wouldn’t work for you – it only works for Reechi – and it’s a symbol of status and wealth and respect and sooooo much more.  A Reechi who owns a flying cloak is considered to be special – like a hero of olden days, which is when the first Reechi flying cloaks were made.  Its basically a symbol of status among my people – like a fancy mansion or castle would be among humans.  It means I’m a badass!  Oh – and they also act like a bit of armor too, like I was wearing leather armor.  Like I said, total badass!”

 

                “So now you can fly without having to climb something tall and jumping off?”  I asked.

 

                “Yeah!”  Tika’s voice sounded so pleased with herself she seemed ecstatic.  Now I can fly whenever I want, even on flat terrain!  Woohoo!”

 

                “Congratulations, Dame Calhoun.”  Princess Morag interjected.  “I hope you like my father’s gift.”

 

                “I do, your Majesty!  It’s amazing!”

 

                “Now all we have to do is see about getting Alyssa a title as well, and it’ll be all good.”  I laughed.

 

                “Please, don’t jest, Castiel!”  Alyssa replied, looking embarrassed.  “I have done nothing to earn such a gift.”

 

                “I beg to differ, Alyssa.  You shielded us as we left the dungeons of Callenden, and helped us bypass the gates to flee the city.  You brewed the potion that will potentially rob Queen Hemlock of her powers – and you’ve been diligent in detecting for poisons at every meal since the assassination attempt.  You’ve proven resourceful, loyal, brave, and more.  And when I am King, I will see that loyalty rewarded – and for you as well Tika.”

 

                Alyssa was dumbfounded by what I said, and was quiet for a moment, before uttering a quiet “Thank you, Cass.”

 

                “You’re welcome, Alyssa.”

 

                With that, we all sat down to dinner – and spent the next hour and a half celebrating Tika’s good fortune, and talking about what would be happening over the next few days as we set forth to wage war on Callenden.  Dinner was excellent – as usual, and eventually, the talking died down, and the meal ended.

 

                After dinner, I gathered my friends, and Princess Morag.  “My friends, the king informs me that tomorrow we leave Erevale and the army sets out for war.  We’ll be leaving early.  I just want you all to know I believe in you – and I believe the gods are with us!  We should get some rest tonight – it will be the last time we probably sleep in comfortable beds for some time.”

 

                Everyone nodded, and we took to our beds.  Tomorrow, we marched to war.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                We left Erevale on the 8th of Summersend, and began the march towards Callenden.   The day was sunny – and with us came twenty-five knights of Erevale, fourteen knights of Clan MacDuirmidh (Courtesy of King Roderic, Connor’s son) and their household troops, plus another 240 archers, and about 450 footmen – which together made for about 1200 soldiers, followed by supply wagons to feed, clothe, arm and armor them.  Needless to say, the travel was not swift, but it was sure – and mile by mile our paces ate up the road between Erevale and Callenden.  It was 120 miles to Callenden, and we expected to cover maybe 16 miles a day, so at best it would be seven or eight days before we reached my city. 

 

                The vast majority of the troops were ahead of us – King Conner and King Roderic, as well as Prince William and Prince Lugh rode nearby, while Princess Morag, Rachel, Alyysa, Tika and Sir Fionn rode with me.  It’s not like we were keeping apart, either – but King Conner and the others seemed content to allow Princess Morag teach Rachel and I how to rule a medieval court without interference. 

 

                Then again, for all I know she threatened them with bodily harm if they didn’t give her full reign.  Morag can be a little intimidating like that, at times.  She’s a strong woman – and gods willing, we’ll all three of us get along well in our coming marriage.  I don’t think Rachel and I are weak, really – just uneducated in how to rule.

 

                Suddenly, I felt a thwack, as Morag chided me with a willow switch.  “You’re not paying attention, Castiel.”

 

                “Sorry, Morag.  I was woolgathering, about everything that’s happening.  It’s occupying my thoughts more and more.  I promise, I’ll try and concentrate.”

 

                Morag relented a little, and smiled.  “Alright, Castiel… Just remember I’m doing this to try and help you and Rachel, not to browbeat you or nag you.”

 

                I smiled back.  “I understand, Morag.  Sorry once again.”

 

                “Shall we continue from where I lost you, then?” 

 

                “Sure.”

 

                Rachel squeezed my hand in reassurance, and listened as well – the lessons of ruling were as important to her as they were to me!  “Thanks for being patient, Morag.”

 

                “It’s alright, Rachel.  I know you can’t learn everything I have to teach in only a few days – but we have precious little time before we reach Callenden, and I think you and Castiel will need at least some of what I have to teach by then.  Now, Rachel, if you please, where were we before Castiel started day-dreaming.”

 

                “I was wool-gathering, not day-dreaming.”  I argued.

 

                “Semantics, which are beneath you, my King.”  Morag joked.  “Rachel?”

 

                “We were learning that the appearance of strength is as important as actually possessing strength.”

 

                “Aye, and there are different kinds of strength, too.  Not all strength is military might.  There is magical strength – which can be used as both a tool and a weapon – and there is political strength, such as the strength of your alliances and your position within them.  There is your reputation with the people – that is a strength too many rulers forget – and there is your own strength of will… If you do not possess a strong willpower, it doesn’t matter about the other forms of strength – you will be perceived as weak and subject to manipulation.”

 

                “Are Kingdoms really as fragile as all that?”  I asked.

 

                “They can be.  Take Callenden, for instance.  King Collin abandoned his rulership to his wife and son – and although his reputation with the people was good, he was weak willed, he neglected his alliances, and his son overcompensates for his own weaknesses with excess military might – without the wisdom to direct it properly – and without consideration of his status with the people.  The people of Callenden hate Prince Michael – they see him for the ruthless pig he is, and say “the apple has fallen far from the tree.”  Queen Hemlock’s magical might is mostly unknown – so the common folk and many other nobles know nothing about it.  That is a strength squandered – a strength no one knows of cannot act as a deterrent, and cannot be used to intimidate, if needed.  It simply doesn’t exist to most people – or is seen as a weakness.  Also, although Queen Hemlock seems to have a powerful willpower, her son Michael is weak willed and feckless, and is ruled by his baser needs.  We need to take advantage of their weaknesses, while enhancing our own strengths, and attempting to negate or nullify their strengths.”

 

                “Such as the potions to weaken Queen Hemlock, and the alliance with King Connor, your father.”  I suggested.

 

                “Exactly!”  Morag replied with a smile.

 

                “Then a strength of ours is also the magical strength of Myself, Alyssa and Tika, and Sir Fionn’s might as a Vigilant… and yours too, of course, Cass.”

 

                “Exactly.  There has never been a King in Ghaelorn that was also a Vigilant.  That is something special, and new – and it will grab people’s attention.  Castiel literally could say the gods themselves are on his side – and people would believe him!  Anyone raising a sword against him will think twice – for if he is a servant of the gods, then are they raising their swords against the gods themselves?  That is a kind of power too, Castiel…  One you would do well to take advantage of.”

 

                “I will not lie about that.”  I said flatly

 

                “I’m not asking you to, Cass.”  Morag replied.  “But if you call upon the aid of the Twins before battle, and they answer, then their aid will be seen and felt by the enemy – and they will KNOW whose side the gods are on.  That is a powerful influence on the ebb and tide of battle.”

 

                “I guess you’re right.  But I would never lie about it.”

 

                “And you shouldn’t hon.”  Rachel began.  “Morag’s right.  If there has never been a Vigilant King in Ghaelorn before, that will be a powerful image for you to project… like King Arthur in old England.”

 

                “I guess it would.”  I thought about it quietly for a moment, and realized the ladies were more than right.  If I could show the warriors of Callenden that Feana and Hathor stood with me – provided they actually did – then there might even be mass desertions from the Callendish troops, which might make the taking of Callenden much easier.  Prince Michael ruled through strength and fear – and there are limits to what fear can do.  Perhaps what I need to do is inspire them – make them choose me, over Michael, not because I scared them – but because they want to.  “Is it true that most common folk want a good king, or a strong king?”

 

                “In my experience they want both.”  Morag replied.  “A good king or queen will bring wealth and happiness to their kingdom – and for most that’s more than they have hope to expect.  Most will settle for a strong king or queen – who brings stability and normalcy to their lives – but when both are combined in one person – which is rare – then I think the people would lay down their lives for that kind of leader.”

 

                “I’ll bet achieving that kind of balance is not easy.”  I replied.

 

                “Nothing worthwhile ever is, is it, Castiel?”   Morag brushed some errant hairs from her face, and laid a hand on my leg.  “You don’t have to be perfect right away, Castiel.  Just do your best, and let Rachel and I help you.”

 

                I nodded, and I felt Rachel squeeze my other hand in support again.

 

                “Now, we need to go over the importance of keeping your temper in check, and channeling your anger – when it arises – in ways that will not damage your standing in whatever situations you may find yourself in…”

 

                Morag continued our lessons well into the afternoon and even into the early evening, until it was near to bedtime.  Dinner had been passable, and we had had an hour to rest by the fire of our camp, surrounded by the dozens and dozens of other fires of the soldiers around us. 

 

                “Umm… Where are we sleeping tonight, Cass?”  Rachel asked, after returning to the fire.

 

                “I assume in our tent. Why, hon?”

 

                “Because I don’t see our tent in the area?”  Rachel replied, looking confused.

 

                “I have something to do with that.”  Princess Morag began.  “All three of us are betrothed.  I thought we could share my tent – it’s easily large enough for us all, and for all of us to have our own private chambers if needed.  It sends a better message to the army to see us united as one.  I was going to bring it up – but I didn’t think it would be a large problem… it isn’t is it?”

 

                Rachel huffed, and then sighed.  “No, not really.  I guess I’m just used to the way we’ve been doing things.  You’re right, though – it makes us look unified.  I am a bit tired, Morag.  Could you show me to your tent?”

 

                “Actually, why don’t we all go get some sleep.”  I interjected.  “It’s been a day, and we should probably talk – as bethrothed to betrothed.”

 

                Morag nodded, and stood to join Rachel and I.  Dunny and Eoghan nodded to her.  “We’ll take watch during the night, your Majesties.” 

 

                “As will I, if needed.” Sir Fionn replied.  “I can sleep in the saddle if needs be.”

 

                “Thank you, all.”  I replied, and took Lady Morag’s and Rachel’s arms.  “Please, show us the way, my lady?”

 

                “Or course, my lord.”  Morag replied.

 

                We soon found and entered Morags – our – tent, to find that the interior was indeed quite spacious, with a small sitting room and four chairs, a table, and three bedchambers off the main room.  I’d never been in a palanquin before, but it looked spacious and comfortable.  I took a seat, and motioned for the ladies to do so as well.

 

                “Morag, I know you did what you thought was right…” I began.

 

                “But you think I made a mistake?” Morag finished.

 

                “No, not at all.  I think you had very good reasons to do what you did – and now that I know those reasons, I fully agree, and I suspect so does Rachel.”

 

                “I do.”  Rachel replied.  “I just wish you had come to us and told us what you were thinking, instead of surprising us with this.”

 

                “I feel the same way.  If we are to be equals, then we need to make decisions together, Morag.  That means no one of us decides unilaterally unless there is no choice.  We should discuss things and make sure we all agree.”

 

                Morag nodded, and looked chastened.  “I’m sorry, Rachel, Castiel, for doing this without speaking of it first.  I guess I thought it was just such a small thing that it wasn’t worthy of mention.”

 

                “I think what we are seeing here, is a conflict between what Mercia considers normal, and what Earth people consider normal.”  I interjected.  “But even so, how would you feel if I had ordered Eoghan and Dunny to not erect your tent and had you sleeping elsewhere, and then not told you?  You would be at least mildly annoyed, if not more?  Tell me, Morag, am I wrong?”

 

                “No, my lord, you are not.  I’m sorry.  Sometimes my desire to take charge of things means I overstep my bounds.  I’ll try to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

 

                “Hey, Morag, it’s okay.”  Rachel replied.  “It’s not just about you making decisions for us – its about us making decisions for you too.  We’d expect you to be furious if one or both of us made an executive decision about what you were doing without consulting you first.  If we’re going to be a team, we have to work like a team – and if that means Castiel is the captain, and its up to us to support him – then so be it.  I wasn’t really mad – just a bit annoyed I wasn’t consulted.  I hope you understand that.”

 

                “I do.”  Morag replied, smiling.  “I just got over-zealous.  I’ll try to rein myself in.”

 

                “Awesome.  And if we step out of line, let us know too, okay?” 

 

                “Alright, Rachel.”

 

                I sighed, glad that the problem – no matter how small it may have seemed – had been peacefully resolved.  “Now that that’s settled, perhaps we should get some sleep?”

 

                “Aye, that would be a good idea.”  Morag replied, smiling.  “Perhaps one day we’ll all share a bed too?  Good night, Castiel, Rachel.”

 

                “Good night Morag.”  Rachel replied, followed by my own.  Morag quietly left the room for her chamber – leaving the other two chambers to Rachel and I.

 

                “I… I guess we should get some sleep, Cass.”

 

                “Yeah.” I said, giving Rachel a hug.  “We should.  I’ll see you in the morning?”

 

                “I wish I could see you tonight.”

 

                “Soon.  It’s less than a month, Rache.  We’ll be okay.”

 

                “I know, Cass.  I’m just impatient.  Why can’t it be now?  Why is there this stupid waiting?  They called this gatekeeping back on Earth, and it feels like it here too!  I just want it to be over so we can start our lives the way they should be!”  Rachel replied, sadly.  “I’m tired of waiting to be me.”

 

                I held her close, and stroked her long hair.  “I know, honey.  I know.  Just a little longer, okay?”

 

                She held me back, and hugged me strongly.  “Okay, Cass.  Just a bit longer.”  Rachel pulled away and tucked some of her long hair behind her ear – she’d been doing little feminine mannerisms like that a lot more lately – and smoothed her skirts.  “I should go to bed.”

 

                “Aye, and so should I.  I’ll see you in the morning.” 

 

                With that, we parted ways, and I blew out the candles lighting the main chamber, and made my way to the bedroom part of the tent.  I stripped down to my boxers – and crawled under the sheets on the rather lavish camp bed and blankets provided me.  I tried to sleep, but the stress of the day, the buzz of the insects, and the murmurs of the worried men outside confounded me.  Sleep was a long time in coming.

 

 

31