Chapter 34 – The Night before Battle
545 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

                The next six days passed quickly – not quite in a blur, but there was so much to be done, and so much to learn that I had little to no time for anything but doing the most important of tasks…  Each day I met with King Connor and his sons, and we discussed battle plans and how we would assault Callenden – and the rest of the day I spent with Rachel, learning how to rule at Morag’s side.

 

                On the plus side, Morag, Rachel and I had started to become actual friends, and were getting along fairly well – as far as I could tell.  Morag had a strong personality, but also a good sense of humor, and never failed to find a way to make Rachel or I laugh if the situation called for it.  Rachel had started to teach Morag some Earth idioms, and so far her favorite seemed to be “Don’t have a cow, man!”  I was just glad that the two ladies were getting along well.  To be honest, I was very glad – the happier they were, the happier I was.

 

                I had been going out each evening, amongst the men, to meet them, and show my support for the sacrifices they’re making for me.  Morag said it would help me get to know the men and women who fought for me – and so it has.  So far I had met several – Theodran, a lad from Erevale who thought this war was going to be an adventure, and Falan, an older soldier who had seen a campaign or two and just hoped to come out of this alive.  I’d met Justin, a baker from Womford who had been drafted into the militia, and Daria, a young woman who chose the life of a soldier, who wanted to make it home to her husband who was caring for their child.  Each and every one was supportive of my cause – but it impressed upon me too that these were not nameless soldiers – they were people.  People, with hopes and dreams and lives – and for me, some of them were going to die.  It humbled me, and it made me remember that it’s the sacrifices of common folk that put people like me on a throne.  I can’t do this by myself – and to be worthy of them and their sacrifice, I need to be a good king, and a strong king all at once.

 

                So far, Morag’s lessons seem to be helping.  I think over the past week, some of the men have really gotten to know me – see how I feel for them, how I appreciate their sacrifices.  I have promised them all I would not throw their lives away - and I think they believe me.  Some of them asked if I would lead them into battle.  I know what common sense says, but I know what my heart says is right as well – and if I am to be a king that inspires his men, how can I ask them to do what I will not?

 

                Gods help me, but I will lead them into battle, with Sir Fionn at my side.  I am scared, but I am resolved, and Sir Fionn is with me.  He says if I can do this, the troops would follow me to hell and back...  I’m starting to believe him.

 

                By the evening of Summersend 14th, we were only about six miles from Callenden.  We stopped early, so that King Conner and his sons, and Sir Fionn and I could attend one final strategy meeting to discuss tomorrows battle.  In all likelihood, by tomorrow evening, I would either be a king, or I would be dead, or a fugitive and on the run - and whatever happened, I was about to drag Rachel, Morag, and all my friends like Fionn, Tika and Alyssa with me.  To say the stress was palpable would have been an understatement.

 

                Sir Fionn seemed to sense my unease, and came to sit next to me, by our fire.  “Nervous, lad?”

 

                “Aye, a little.  Does it show?”

 

                “Not really… but the night before my first battle was full of stress and second thoughts, and I figured it would be the same for you too, especially since you have so much riding on success.”

 

                “Aye.  I guess I do.” 

 

                “I’m going to be blunt and please forgive me if I’m being rude, but I strongly suspect you’ve forgotten one of your strengths, against Lady Morag’s teachings.  Have you checked your magical amulet lately – to see if you have more skills you can fast learn?  If you haven’t, you probably should.  You and Rachel both should.”

 

                My jaw dropped, literally, with how stupid I had been in forgetting about the amulet.  “You’re right, Fionn.  I had forgotten.  I’ll look into that right away.”

 

                “Just make sure you do.  We have that last minute strategy session after dinner tonight.  You want to be ready for tomorrow, after all.”

 

                “I definitely do.”  I sighed at my stupidity, and turned to my friend.  “Thanks, Fionn… for everything.”

 

                “Survive to be crowned, lad, and I’ll call it even, alright?”

 

                I laughed.  “Deal!”

 

                Fionn poked the fire with a stick, and gave me time to do what I had to do – so I called up my HUD and took a look at how my readout had changed.  Unsurprisingly, it had changed a fair bit – somehow I had gained 4 advancements, and increased numerous abilities and skills.  WTF!?

 

 

Name: Jeffery Fowler

Sex: Male

Height: 6’ 0”

Race: Human

Age: 20

Weight: 175lbs

Advancements: 6   (Seasoned)

 

 

 

 

 

Attributes

Derived Stats

Skills     13 + 4

Strength   d8

Dodge: 6                          

Academics (Sm)                         d4

Agility     d8

Parry:   6             (7 with Arm Guards)          

*Athletics (Str)                           d6

Vigor       d8

Toughness:  7     (10 w/Chainmail)        

Battle (Sm)                                 d4

Smarts     d8

Move:  12 yards/18 yards run

Boating (Ag)                              d4

Spirit       d8

Charisma: +2

*Common Knowledge (Sm)      d6

 

 

Driving (Ag)                              d4

Edges

Hindrances

Faith (Sp)                                   d4

- Charisma

- Heroic

Fighting (Ag)                             d8

- Brave

- Loyal

*Notice (Sm)                             d6

- Very Rich

- Mild Mannered

*Persuasion (Sp)                        d4

- Arcane Background: Vigilant

- Quirk (Non Binary/Gender Fluid)

Repair (Sm)                               d4

- Noble

- Enemies (Queen Hemlock and son)

Riding (Ag)                               d4 

- Brawny

- Dedicated (Rachel, Morag, Kingdom)

Shooting (Ag)                            d6

+1 Unspent Edge

- Clueless**

*Stealth (Ag)                             d4

 

 

Survival (Sm)                            d6

You are not Encumbered

** This Hindrance cannot be bought off.

 

 

It must be removed through experience.

17 Skill picks spent

 

 

+2 Skill Picks

Vigilant Abilities

 

 

Detect Evil        

Lay on Hands        

Ceremony           

Smite                 

Aim                      

Blessing              

 

 

 

 

                I took a long look – my Spirit and Smarts had increased by one, and I had learned Riding at d6, and increased my Common Knowledge to d6.  Seeing as how the next day would bring battle, I put one of my skill picks into Battle, and the other skill pick into Faith – seeing as how I was being visited by angels, talking to gods, and in general trying to be as good a Vigilant as I could be.  I wasn’t sure what to spend my edge on – so I looked through the menu, and was extremely intimidated by the number of choices.  Focussing on what was necessary. I decided on something called “Command” – which made me a better battlefield leader, and made the men under my command more likely to survive.  I owed it to the people of Callenden to be the best leader I could, so it seemed like the best choice.

 

                As I spent the last of my skills and edges, I once again felt and saw the swirly gold and blue light surround me, and felt the knowledge imprint upon me… It felt odd, like it did last time – but it felt good.  I felt far more prepared for tonight – and tomorrow – than I had a few moments ago.  I also could tell how risky what we were doing was – and my overconfidence evaporated like smoke.  Looking at what was before me, I could see tomorrow would be a fight for our lives.  At least now I’m armed, I thought.  I resolved never to forget the amulet’s power again.

 

                I took a look at my quest log – and it was ridiculously long – but there were only a few quests unclaimed or incomplete.  I realized I hadn’t looked at my log since I met Cassandra in my dreams, and named her – before we left for Callenden.  Geez, I was stupid.  At least I won’t make that mistake again.

 

                “How are you feeling, lad?”

 

                “To be honest, Fionn… Pretty stupid.  I had apparently earned a huge amount of skills and powers – and now that I’ve spent them, I feel like I just might be ready for tomorrow.” 

 

                “I’m glad, Castiel.”  Fionn replied.  “I’m glad.  Maybe you should tell Rachel?”

 

                “Good idea.  I’ll tell her at dinner.”

 

                Fionn nodded, and went back to poking the fire with a stick, lost in his own thoughts.

 

 

*              *              *

 

                Dinner came about an hour later, and Rachel, Morag and I took to our tent to eat – it was far more comfortable to eat at the table with the chairs, than to sit on the ground cross-legged!  Dinner was a meat and potato style stew, and it was filling and tasty, but a bit bland.  There was some wine to wash it down, which was nice.

 

                As we ate, I decided to broach the topic of the forgotten amulets with Rachel…  “Hey, Rachel… You remember the amulets?”

 

                “Yeah, of course I do.”  She replied.  “I haven’t looked at mine in a while… oh shit!  I haven’t looked at mine in a while!  Have you?”

 

                I smirked.  “Yep.  Fionn reminded me about it this afternoon.  I won’t ever forget that again.”

 

                “It’s good that you’re learning to not forget a Strength, Cass, but I’m sad it was Fionn who taught it to you, and not myself.”  Morag interjected.  “Have my lessons been falling on deaf ears?”

 

                “No!  On the contrary, Sir Fionn pointed out where I had made a mistake – and as soon as he said it, I hearkened back to your lesson.  It might have taken a moment to sink in – but I assure you, I won’t make that mistake again.”

 

                “I’m glad, Cass.”  Morag said, smiling.

 

                “I should check mine after dinner!”  Rachel began.  “How many advancements did you have?”

 

                “Four.”

 

                “What?  Holy cow!”  Rachel laughed. 

 

                “What do these advancements represent?”  Morag asked.

 

                “Well as far as we can tell,” Rachel began, “…They represent when we’ve accomplished important personal tasks – each advancement seems to let us learn a trait – like being attractive or charming, or the ability to cast spells – and learn a skill, like how to fight or hide or something, or make a skill we already know considerably better.”

 

                “So what did you spend yours on, Castiel?” 

 

                “I apparently learned how to ride, and I made myself better at Battle, my Vigilant magic, and Leadership, and I also unlocked a trait to let me be a better leader of men.  I’m as ready for tomorrow as I can be.” I replied.

 

                 Morag smiled.  “That’s good.  Rachel, what do you have?”

 

                “Drats!  I only have two advancements!”  Rachel began, frustrated.  “I guess I haven’t met a lot of my personal goals yet.”

 

                “I apparently have a better constitution, and my Forces word is at 3 – whatever that means – but I have one word still to pick.”  Rachel tried futzing with the HUD for a moment, but sighed.  “I can’t put it into Forces – I must not have a pre-requisite.  Let me see…”

 

                Suddenly there was a golden blue flash of swirly light, and Rachel smiled.  “I now have a little bit of Body magic.  Maybe if Queen Hemlock curses us I can restore us?  I also bought my spellcasting up to as high as it would go, increased my persuasion, stealth and common knowledge skills, and still have a trait unspent.”

 

                “Why didn’t you spend it?”  Morag asked.

 

                “I’m saving it – I don’t know what I’ll need it for, and I might need something in a hurry.” 

 

                “That’s not a bad tactic, if you can afford to save it, Rache.”  I suggested.  “The versatility of being able to just get the right talent to solve a problem instantly is pretty damn powerful.”

 

                “It sure is.”  Rachel replied.  “I could buy my Body magic – what you seem to call Flesh-shaping, Morag – to three – where it would be equal to my Forces, but I the last time I saw my HUD my Forces was at two.  I don’t know what a three really means, for strength or ability.”

 

                “I bet Alyssa and Tika might.” I replied.

 

                “Yeah – good idea, hon.  I’ll check with them after dinner.”

 

                “And after dinner, Morag and I will attend the final strategy meeting before the battle tomorrow morning.”

 

                “Aye, we will – and we’ll see what these newly bought talents did for your acumen, Cass.  I look forward to seeing what you can do.” Morag replied with a smile. 

 

                “Aye, me too.”  I laughed.  “Sometimes the skills this amulet bestows catch me off guard.  It feels so ingrained and natural.  I should put some points into politics and rulership – but those skills aren’t on the list.”

 

                “I guess the gods can’t make things too easy, can they Cass?”  Rachel laughed.

 

                “I guess not.”

 

                With that dealt with, we continued eating our dinner – tonight would be a long one, and we would all need to be ready.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

                King Connor was sitting in a folding chair, studying a table covered in a map of the city of Callenden, and its surrounding countryside as Morag and I entered.  Prince William, Prince Lugh and King Roderic were all present as well – some standing near the maps – some lounging in chairs, sipping at some wine.

 

                “Ah, sister!  It’s good to see you!” Prince William began.  “It’s good to see you, too, Castiel.” 

 

                “Thank you, William.”

 

                “Yes, thank you, brother.  It is good to be here.”  Morag replied sweetly.

 

                “Good.”  King Conner interjected, motioning us both to join him near the maps.  “Now we can get started.”

 

                I looked at the maps – and oddly (or not so oddly considering the magic of my amulet) – the maps of the area made far more sense to me than they did before.  I could see the hills, the terrain where troops would be hindered, or have free access, and I could see where the advantage lay for both the defenders and attackers much easier.  

 

                Callenden was a city on the edge of a large lake – about half the size of Lake Ontario in Canada – and was built on a bluff overlooking the lake, with the richer and more affluent sections high up on the hill overlooking the city, while the vast majority of the common folk lived near the base of the hill, closer to the water of the lake and the docks, with more affluent citizens living halfway up the bluff as appropriate.  The city was walled – with high stone walls and battlements, and our army would be forced to fight our way uphill to besiege them if they hunkered down to defend the city…  Which was very bad, because taking the city would be a long arduous process that would result in much of the city being destroyed in the process.

 

                I sighed, realizing that winning this battle might be a pyrrhic victory, if it turned into a siege.

 

                On the other hand, there were tactics we could use I was just now beginning to see, to lure him and his men out… but it would depend on how fragile his ego was, and how loyal his troops.

 

                I shook my head from my reverie, realizing I had been woolgathering again, and brought my attention back to King Connor’s presentation. 

 

                “…And as you can see here, our scouts have shown he has a large number of troops in the city – many drawn from the eastern marches of Callenden, leaving him exposed to the bandit raids that are said to be occurring there.  He has perhaps a thousand  men in the city – plus his gathered knights, which are camped outside the city with their household forces – perhaps another four hundred men.  Maybe 200 of those are archers – the rest are footmen.  He will be a formidable foe to defeat, if we can lure Prince Michael out – otherwise we’re in for a siege.”

 

                “Prince Michael is neither a good leader, nor well loved.”  I began.  “Perhaps if I can sow dissent amongst their ranks, I can cause a number of his troops to either defect or lay down their arms?”

 

                Prince Lugh snorted in derision.  “And how would you go about that?”

 

                “I have an idea that will carry my voice – through Alyssa’s Sight magic – to every ear in the city.  I will proclaim that I am the true heir of King Colin, and the grandson of his beloved Wayward Bride, Janet Fowler – and that I have returned from another world to strike down their evil leader and save them from tyranny – and the Twins, Feana and Hathor are at my back, for I am a Vigilant, born to strike down evil and injustice.   Then, I promise them that if they lay down their arms and do not resist us, or better yet, leave the field and return to their homes, there will be no reprisals, and they will earn my gratitude and thanks when I take the throne.  Any who raise a sword against me or my troops, will pay a most terrible price.”

 

                “And you think this will work!?”  Prince William asked, astonished.

 

                “I think it has an excellent chance of helping.  I’m not expecting the enemy to surrender – but a good size portion of their force would think twice – and maybe turn coat – and the rest might just take the excuse to quit the field.   I also intend to challenge Prince Michael’s manhood and bravery, to see if I can egg him out into open battle, so that we can avoid a siege.”

 

                “Father, must we listen to this drivel?”  Prince William began.  “For the past two weeks, we have told Castiel again and again what must be done – and this is his plan?  It’s like all our teaching has gone in one ear and out the other!”

 

                “Aye.  I will not risk my hold unless we have a solid plan.”  King Roderic muttered.

 

                “The plan doesn’t have to change.”  King Connor replied.  “King Castiels’ taunts will have no effect on the battle itself – and if they work, they may save us a long and costly siege.  I see no harm in him attempting this maneuver, even if it seems like a waste of time.  At best, it will have the desired effect – and at worst, it will have none.  Now, we must have a unified face both tonight, before our troops – and tomorrow, during the battle.  We will array ourselves here, on this bluff, overlooking the city, so that we can see our forces – and we’ll arrange the archers here – by this long wall of stone, as cover – while the footmen and knights advance towards the city gates – which thanks to your friends spells, King Castiel, is still damaged and barely functional.  It seems that in your flight, the spells that were used damaged the walls around the gate, making hanging a new door harder than first thought.”

 

                “That’s good to know.”

 

                “Indeed – but that is where Prince Michael will have his most powerful defences, and most of his troops.  It will be a hard nut to crack.”  King Connor replied.

 

                Morag was studying the map intently.  “I will take a small contingent of guards, and Tika, Alyssa and Rachel to this bluff over here, away from the majority of the battle.  We will be able to watch – and perhaps their sorcery will be of some use.  Tika can make thorny hedges grow to inhibit their troops movements, and Alyssa can spy out their leaders and hear their commands – and conceal us from their view.  Rachel has her powers as well.”

 

                “I would prefer you weren’t near the battle at all, my dear, but if Alyssa hides you from their view, you should be safe enough.”  King Connor replied.  “Will Sir Fionn be leading the troops?”

 

                “No.”  I replied.  “I will, and Sir Fionn will be at my side.”

 

                “What!?”  King Connor yelled in frustration.  “I take it back, boy – you’re daft!  You’re too valuable to risk in battle like that!  Are you insane?”

 

                “No… I’m not insane.  I’m taking a stand.  That bastard killed my grandfather, and if I’m asking all these young men and women to fight and die in my name to regain my home – a land that isn’t even theirs – then how can I do that if I’m not willing to fight for them too!  I’m not a boy playing at being a hero!  I’m a Vigilant of the Twins, leading my army into battle because it’s the right thing to do.  I’ll inspire them to be better than they otherwise could be!  I’ll lead them to victory – and show by my actions that my bravery and valor far outstrips the cowardice of my uncle!  So you listen to me, King Connor!  I’m not a fool, nor am I a boy.  I am a King, and I’ll make my own decisions… and If I fall in battle, so fucking be it!  Callenden will be far better ruled by your sons than by Prince Michael, and I’ll give you my blessing.  But if I survive!  If I survive, every last soldier here in this army and in Callenden’s army will know I stand behind what I say – that I would not ask them to do what I am not willing to do.  That I am a worthy successor to the throne of Callenden.”

 

                “You’re completely insane.”  Prince William whispered.

 

                “No, not insane.”  Princess Morag replied.  “Brilliant.”

 

                “Morag, do you intend to chain yourself to this Albatross?”  Prince Roderic asked in shock.

 

                “Yes, dear brother, I do.  I believe in him, even if you do not.”

 

                “Thank you, Morag.”

 

                “You’re welcome, Cass.”  She replied, smiling.

 

                King Connor sighed.  “If you insist on going through with this idiotic madness, then I won’t resist – but I think you’re setting yourself up for failure.  We are committed now – and whether you survive or not, we must press the attack until we win, or are defeated.  If you fall, we will finish this task – for your grandfather’s and my friendship if nothing else – and if necessary, one of my sons will sit on your throne.  Callenden will be freed of this nest of vipers by any means necessary.  Castiel, you and Sir Fionn will be with my knights and footmen on their push to the city gates.  Roderic – your men should arrange by this field here – and have the bulk of your archers cover the advance of Castiels’ footmen.  William, you and Lugh will advise me on the bluff, and leave the disposition of your men to the knights, and keep only a small force to defend our camp.”

 

                “Aye, father, like we’ve discussed for weeks.”  Prince William agreed

 

                “Aye, smart – with the idiotic heroics left out of it.”  Prince Lugh added.

 

                “Your opinions are duly noted, gentlemen.”  I began.  “But I have made up my mind.”

 

                “Assuming you have a mind in there, and not an empty box of rocks.”  King Roderick replied.

 

                “Have a care, brother.  Castiel is still a King – words spoken now may come back to haunt you.”  Morag spat.

 

                “Morag, it’s alright.  They’re fighting this battle the way they think is correct.  I’m fighting this battle the way I think is correct.  We shall let the gods decide who is right, and who is wrong – and tomorrow will bring us the answer.  I bear them no ill will for their insults – and they were insults.  We shall see who is a fool and who is not soon enough.”

 

                “Thank you, Castiel, for not escalating this – and do I need to remind my sons that bickering is not going to help, nor is insulting the person who could be the next King of Callenden, and a close ally?  My daughter is right – words spoken today will haunt us for years to come – so all of you, apologize now, and let us bury this argument where it belongs!”

 

                “Aye, Father.  I am sorry for my outburst, King Castiel.”  Prince William replied.

 

                “And I as well.”  Replied Prince Lugh.

 

                “I will keep the peace.”  King Roderic said, “But I think your plan is foolish.  You are either brave or an idiot – and we shall see soon enough if you or I are right.  My apologies for my outburst, King Castiel.”

 

                “Thank you.”  I replied.

 

                The three men grumbled and nodded – and we got back to the planning of the attack… The goal was to take the city gate, and hold it long enough for us to get our knights and footmen inside the city – and use the archers as cover.  It seemed within the realm of possible, and by the time we finished going over the plan, we were tired, but moderately hopeful that tomorrow would be successful.  Finally, the strategy session concluded, and I escorted Princess Morag back to our tent.

 

                “Are you really going to be watching the battle from that hill?”  I asked once we were out of earshot.

 

                “No, of course not.  Alyssa, Rachel, Tika and I are ‘going to be invisible’ so no one will expect us to be missing.  Under the cover of an illusion, we’ll be infiltrating your unit and pressing the attack with you.  I can hardly shoot Queen Hemlock with the anti-magic potion from a hill two miles away, can I?”

 

                I smiled, suspecting something like this from the start.  “No, I guess you can’t.  It will be good to have you and the girls… just make sure you stay protected, alright.  We can’t have you getting hurt badly before you take down the queen.”

 

                “Aye, Milord, and I don’t want to get hurt before Rachel and I celebrate your victory.”

 

                “Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, Morag – the battle is far from won.”

 

                “Aye – but something inside me says it is merely a matter of time.  I think Morian, the Kingmaker has his hands in this.  I think the threads of fate are weaving a new tale – and that tale is yours, King Castiel.  I believe in you.”  Morag paused, and looked deeply into my eyes.  “I believe in you.”

 

                And then she kissed me.  It was brief – just a brush of our lips – but it held promise for the future, and she somehow channeled all her belief into it, and I felt it flow into me.  My misgivings fled, and I wrapped my arms around her, and kissed her back.

 

                “I can’t say how much it means to me to hear that, Morag.”  I began.  “But I’m not ready yet to take this further – and would not without Rachel’s assent.  I’m sorry.”

 

                Morag nodded, and turned her gaze down, embarrassed.  “And I am sorry, too, Castiel.  I offered to be queen in name, and to accept your boundaries – and yet I constantly rail against them and push you further than you are ready for.  Please forgive me.”

 

                “There’s nothing to forgive, Morag.” I said with all honesty.  “You kiss nicely.”

 

                “Aye, as do you.  Perhaps one day you will see what else I can do nicely?”

 

                I smirked.  “Perhaps, in time.”

 

                “Will you walk amongst the troops tonight, Cass?”

 

                “Yes… One last time, I will.  They need to see me, and know I am with them.  That I will fight for them, and with them.”

 

                “Then I will see you later, when you return to our tent.  I’ll let Rachel know you might be up late.”

 

                “Thank you, Morag.”

 

                We said our farewells, and I went to speak to the troops one last time before battle.

 

 

                As I mingled amongst the many campfires, I wondered what tomorrow would bring…  It would be a telling moment, not just for Rachel, Morag and I, but for all of Ghaelorn – the country that was made up of Callenden, Erevale, and all the other feuding clans and small kingdoms in the area.  It seemed like one of those moments in history where everything swung on a fulcrum, and could change the course of everything in an instant.  Huh! No pressure, much!  I snorted to myself.  A few moments later, I came to one of several hundred fires, around which sat or stood a dozen soldiers.  None of them looked familiar.

 

                “Hello, Sers, Serra’s.”  I began.  “How goes it this evening?”

 

                The men and women around the fire turned to me – and although I knew some of them didn’t recognize me, many of them did – and for those that didn’t, my fine clothing and bearing showed I was a person of import.   Many of them knelt, and motioned for the others to kneel.  “Well met, King Geoffrey.”  One of them said – a young man of maybe 17 years.  “What brings you to honor our fire tonight?”

 

                “At ease, all of you, please.” I said, motioning for them to relax and be as they were.  “I was just trying to see how our troops were doing, lad.  It’s been my habit to talk to many of you, to hear your thoughts and concerns.  I know you all are risking your lives for me – so that King Connor of Erevale can repay a debt of friendship to his friend, my grandfather King Colin.  I couldn’t ask you to risk your lives, without meeting some of you, and learning why you fight for me – why you would risk death or maiming for a man that possibly means nothing to you.  I came to tell you a bit about myself as well, and hopefully earn your trust before the battle tomorrow.”

 

                To say they looked surprised was an understatement… apparently the Lords of Ghaelorn didn’t really do this much?  Then again, from the King’s desire to sit out the battle in relative safety, along with his sons, it was beginning to become apparent that their behavior was the norm – and not mine own.

 

                I sat down next to them, pulling my cloak behind me so I didn’t sit on it.  “What are your names, Sers, Serras?  Can you tell me a bit about yourselves?”

 

                The young one who addressed me spoke first.  “I’m Adric, my lord.  I’m training to be a guardsman for Sir Dandrel of Erevale, on his barony north of Erevale.  I’m one of his household guards.  I guess I’m fighting because I was drafted, and I do as my lord commands.”

 

                I nodded.  “Thank you for your honesty, Adric.  Not everyone fights for a cause – some fight to put food in their bellies, or to uphold an oath they made.  I understand.  And you?”  I said, directing my comment at an older man – someone who seemed to be seasoned enough to have fought in a battle or two before.

 

                “Name’s Sean Dunlop, Milord.  When I was young, I fought for causes – and when I got older I fought to fill my belly, or my coin pouch.  Now, I guess I fight because its all I know.  This country has had endless raids and border skirmishes.  For once I’d like to fight for peace, as odd as that sounds.”

 

                “No, it doesn’t sound odd at all, Sean.  If I can give you peace by taking Callenden, I will.  Eternal war is something that no man or woman should face.”

 

                “I’m Tandy McLane, your Majesty,” a woman in her mid twenties said.  “I joined the militia when I was a younger lass to defend my village, and because I had some skill at arms.  I… I don’t want to die tomorrow, milord.  I want to go home, and find a man to spend my life with, and raise some bairns.  But I fight, because I’ve heard that Prince Michael is an evil man, and I believe he’ll plunge this region into war sooner or later.  Better to beat him now, when his rule is not stable, than later, in my mind.”

 

                “Is it true that you’re the true king of Callenden?  King Collin’s chosen heir?”  Another asked.

 

                “Aye.  My grandmother was his first love, the adventurer and heroine, Janet Fowler of Earth, who came through a magic portal, and met Prince Collin when he was a young man.  A disaster happened when she was waiting at the altar to marry him, and he never showed – and she thought he had chosen not to come, so she returned to Earth, her heart broken.  There, she bore King Collin’s first son – my father.  Now, I have returned from Earth to Mercia, to set things right.  King Collin gave me his seal,” I said, showing them the ring of office the King had given me.  “…moments before agents of his son and his wife were sent to kill him.  He sacrificed his life to see my companions and myself free of the city.  His last words to me were ‘save my kingdom from the Queen and my son, if you think its worth saving.’  Well, I think Callenden is worth saving.  I think Callenden deserves to have a leader that will care about his people, and their wellbeing, instead of his own base appetites.  I think Callenden deserves to have a future that does not involve treachery, murder and intrigue.  I think the people of Callenden deserve better than that – and I aim to give it to them.”

 

                The man nodded.  “Is it true you’re a Vigilant of the Twins, milord?”

 

                “Aye, Ser, I am.  Feana and Hathor came to me in a vision and called me to their service.  I fight with their will, and their strength at my back.  They and their servants have guided me, and Sir Fionn, another of their Vigilants, has taught me well.  You all know a Vigilants’ purpose is to defend the weak, and to strike down evil, yes?”

 

                Various heads nodded around the campfire.

 

                “Well, that is what I seek to do.  Queen Hemlock, years ago, was the one to arrange my Grandfather not getting to the altar on time – so that he would have no choice but to marry her instead of my grandmother.  She is an evil serpent who has infested Callenden too long, and I intend to root her out – and put her and her spawn Michael to the sword.  Prince Eacharn is a good man, and I would call him my brother, if he chooses to have me.”

               

                “I have heard you and Prince Eacharn are on good terms.”  Another soldier spoke.

 

                “Aye, we are.  He is arranging many of the details that help this army run.  My job is to lead the attack.”

 

                “You intend to take the field of battle?”  The soldier spoke in disbelief.

 

                “Aye.  As a Vigilant, it is my duty to lead and confront evil.  As a King, I cannot ask any of you to risk yourselves, if I am not willing to risk myself – and as a Man, I would feel a coward if I stood by and watched others fight my fight without me.  I am not a coward, and I seek to be worthy of being a King.  I will fight alongside all of you – face the same steel and flights of arrows you face – and will storm the gates of Callenden alongside you… and when I cast down Prince Michael and his mother the Queen, it will be your victory as well as mine.”

 

                “Hear hear!”  The soldier replied.  “My name is Donal Kincaid, Milord.   I believe you.  I believe you truly intend to fight with us, and I think if we carry the day, you will be a good King.  What happens, afterwards?”

 

                “What do you mean, Donal?” I asked.

 

                “What are your plans after you win the battle?”

 

                “Simply put, I intend to pay back King Conner the favors I have promised him for giving me this army – various land agreements and so forth – and I intend to rebuild Callenden and attempt to build a lasting peace for the kingdom, so that my people – and yours – can live without fear of invasion or attack.  I intend to make peace with those I can, and defend against those I cannot.  I too intend to raise a family, and have some children.”

 

                “Is it true you intend to marry both Serra Wilson and Princess Morag as well?”  Tandy asked.

 

                “Aye, although it seems rumors have been spreading amongst the men and women of the army.  I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.  Yes, when the time comes, I will marry them both, and cement Erevale and Callenden with bonds of family and peace.”

 

                I paused a moment, while everyone absorbed the conversation.  “Donal, why do you fight in this battle?  You’ve asked many  questions of me.  Will you answer this one of mine?”

 

                Donal nodded.  “I serve the King of Erevale – I have for most of my adult life.  I’ve seen border skirmishes, raids, and outright war at times.  And in all those battles, King Connor rarely took the field.  He didn’t risk his life – just ours.  I think its noble and brave you’re willing to face the same dangers we are, Milord.  I wonder what it would be like to have a king that is both a King, and a Vigilant at the same time.  I honestly have never heard of such a thing.   I guess I’m fighting for a future where there is hope for peace, and a better tomorrow.  Endless raids and skirmishes hold no attraction for me.”

 

                “Donal, all of you, I give you a solemn promise.  If I can bring a lasting peace to these lands, I will.  If I can end these endless border wars and raids, I will – and if I cannot, I will seek to make these lands safe enough that you and your kin will not have to take up arms for at least another generation, so that your children – and mine – can grow up in a time without endless war.”

 

                “A promise like that might be hard to keep, Milord.”  Donal replied.

 

                “The most important promises always are, Ser Kincaid.  That’s why they matter so much,” I replied, rising.  “I shall take my leave of you now.  I have many more fires to visit tonight before I can rest.”

 

                “Good night, Milord.”  Tandy called, followed by more farewells from Sean, Donal and others. 

 

                And so I went, from fire to fire, greeting the troops, and listening to their hopes and fears.  Hearing their reasons for being here, for fighting for me…  I promised them I wouldn’t take their lives in vain, and I promised them I would fight at their side on the morrow.  To be honest, I’m not sure many of them believed me – but they’ll see when I take the field.  I left the troops encampment that night with a feeling of positivity – a feeling that the troops were willing to fight, and risk everything for a victory.

 

                I hoped it was enough.

 

                It was late in the evening when I returned to Morag’s tent… Rachel and Morag were waiting up, and talking quietly when I arrived.

 

                “How did it go, Cass?”  Rachel asked.

 

                “As well as I hoped, actually.” I replied.  “I think the troops are ready.  Now, I suppose, we need to be ready.”

 

                “Aye, sleep would be good for all of us.”  Morag replied.  “Perhaps we should retire – unless you have something you wish to speak of, Castiel?”

 

                “I think I’ve done all I can, Morag.  I think the best thing that we could do now is get some sleep for tomorrow…”

 

                “Then, I shall see you in the morning, Castiel.”  Morag said, rising from her chair to leave.

 

                “Morag, just one thing… For both you and Rachel.”

 

                Morag raised a questioning eyebrow.

 

                “Thanks for waiting up for me.  I really appreciated it.”

 

                Rachel and Morag both smiled.  “We thought you might need to talk.”  Rachel replied.

 

                “Normally, I think I would have, but there is nothing more to be done.  Sleep is our best course of action now.  Thank you again, ladies.” 

 

                “Good night, my King.”  Morag replied, kissing her hand, and then touching my cheek, before heading to her chamber.

 

                “She’s aiming to bed you, Cass.”  Rachel replied. 

 

                “Maybe.  Maybe she will, one day – but for now, let’s put that out of our minds.  Tomorrow is the big day.  I hope the gods are with us.”

 

                “Of course they are, silly.  Maybe they want you to be king?”

 

                “Maybe – or maybe not.  Either way, I’ll give it my all.”

 

                “And Morag, Tika, Allysa and I will be at your side.  We’ll win, I know it.”

 

                “I love you, you know.”

 

                “I love you too, dorkus.  Now go to bed.”

 

                “Yes Ma’am.” I smirked, and mock saluted.  “Good night, Rachel.”

 

                “Good night, Cass.”  Rachel too, kissed her hand and touched my cheek – the other cheek that Morag had not kissed by proxy.

 

                I smirked at the gesture, which was a little unlike Rachel.  Was she jealous, or perhaps marking me?

 

                “Sweet dreams.” I whispered, and went to my chamber to get what sleep I could.

 

 

 

 

25