Chapter 39 – A Coronation and the Fall Festival
401 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                The next day, I woke early to an ache in my back… The mattress I used last night must be a bit lumpy, I thought.  No matter.  I can deal with that later.  I climbed out of bed and walked over to a wash basin, and gently splashed some water on my face.  The sun was up – but no one had come to wake me.  Another privilege of being a King?  I looked for my clothes, but they were nowhere to be found, so I pulled a silken pull cord that Morag said would summon a servant – and a moment later my page, Samuel Duckworth arrived. 

 

                “Greetings, My King.”  Samuel began.  “I trust you slept well?”

 

                “I slept well enough, I suppose, Samuel.  Where are my clothes?”

 

                “They’re being cleaned, milord.  I have some more clothes for you over here.”  He said, motioning to a few trunks in an antechamber I hadn’t seen anyone bring in. 

 

                “Am I not allowed to dress myself anymore?”

 

                “Of course, My lord… But sometimes the regalia worn by lords is so fanciful and overdone they need assistance to don their garb – much like armor, a lord’s raiment is his armor in the social gatherings of court.  The more wealth and power you can display gives you strength – but it comes with the hindrance that it sometimes requires aid to don or doff, milord.”

 

                “I guess I can see that.  I’m not used to courtly battles as opposed to real ones, Samuel.  Are we having any courtly battles today?”

 

                “Nay, Milord, but your betrothed, Princess Morag is being crowned this afternoon, as well you know – and you should attend in finery appropriate to your station, not your… adventuring garb, no matter how princely.  It would set a bad example, and might diminish Callenden’s image.”

 

                I thought about it a moment, and nodded.  “Very well, Samuel.  Dress me as would appropriate – for now – and have something I can change into the moment the Coronation is over ready for me.”

 

                “Aye, milord.”  Samuel replied, grinning.  “Milord, may I ask why you brought me with you instead of my father or grandfather?  They have far more experience than I.”

 

                “Aye.  And they are making my clothes back in Callenden, which will be amazing, I am sure.  I asked for you because we are closer in age – and I hoped to foster with you an understanding between us, that would carry on throughout my reign.  I was hoping I could learn more about you, Samuel, and if you and I meshed, then I hoped to build a bond of friendship that would last as long as we both lived.  It was also to give you a chance to prove your skill and worth without your father and grandfather second guessing everything you did.  I wanted to see you – not the shadow of your fathers.”

 

                “Thank you, Milord.  I am deeply honored.”  Samuel began, smiling a little.  “I hope I have been doing a good job so far?”

 

                “You have been doing an amazing job.  I’m very happy with your services, and with our conversations over the past week.  I think you and I get along well – and I suspect I might have difficulties with your father or grandfather.  They have different sensibilities as to what is appropriate for a King to wear – and I’m afraid I disagree.  I am a Vigilant first, and a King second – and they need to realize that.”

 

                “I will endeavor to tell them of your wishes once we return, then, Milord.”

 

                “Thanks, Samuel.  What is this unholy monstrosity you’ve gotten out for me to wear?”

 

                “Milord, ‘tis courtly garb popularized by Prince William senior.  He wore royal garb that was popular in Port Coventry – the city settled by the Madragans of the west.  Hose, breeches, and a doublet, all made of the finest silks and linens, studded with gemstones and buttons of silver, with matching shoes and hat.”

 

                “Yeah, no,  I won’t be wearing that.”

 

Samuel looked a bit flummoxed for a moment.  “Why not, Milord?” 

 

“First, I hate the look of it – it’s heavy, and I can’t fight in it.  It’s too gaudy – and its not Ghaelish.  I am going to be a Ghaelish king, not a Madragan one… I’d like to dress the part.”

 

“The Madragans don’t possess kings, Milord.  They have Magnates, chosen by the Senate… but I understand your meaning.  You wish to be one with your adopted countrymen.  I can work with that.  Will you give me an hour to find something suitable for you to wear, Milord?  The clothes we brought of Prince Michaels from Callenden might have something within – and if not, I can find something from perhaps Prince Lugh’s chambers, if Lady Morag and Lady Elissa do not mind.”

 

“Make sure you ask them first.  If they say no, I’ll wear this idiotic frippery this once.”

 

“Yes milord.  I shall be back soon.”  Samuel bowed, and left, leaving me alone with a silver tray on a table nearby that an apparently invisible servant had brought in while I was talking with Samuel.

 

Damn!  I’d always heard that servants were invisible in a palace – but I’d never expected to have it happen to me like that… I was usually more attentive.  I smirked at the thought, and then scowled too, realizing the danger it posed.  Any servant could go anywhere in the palace – here or in Callenden – and do whatever mischief they wished.  I resolved then and there to pay attention to the servants, and get to know their names… the better to pick out strangers who shouldn’t be where they shouldn’t.

 

My belly rumbled, and I realized I was both hungry and needing to find the bathroom.  I sighed – my bodily needs would need taking care of – and then perhaps I could face the day.  I’d best find and talk to Morag before the ceremony.  Rachel and I needed to be there for her.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                I found Morag fretting in her chambers – with Rachel and a handful of maids.  “Hello?”  I called from the door.  “May I enter?”

 

                “Of course, Castiel.”  Rachel replied, motioning for one of the maids to open the door and allow me in.  “Morag is seriously stressing right now.  Maybe you can help relax her.”

 

                “I think I have good reason to be stressed!”  Morag interjected, a little stridently, and Rachel nodded in agreement.

 

                “Of course you do, Morag.  I was just hoping that Castiel’s words could help calm you, since mine don’t seem to be helping much.”

 

                “I take it the stress of the Coronation is getting to you, Morag?”  I said, and without waiting, I gathered her in my arms, and gave her a firm, loving hug.  I stroked her long red hair, and whispered so that just she could hear me.  “You can do this, Morag.  You will be one of the greatest queens this land has ever seen.  You are strong, proud, with an honorable lineage.  I believe in you – maybe more than you believe in yourself.  Everything will be all right.  I promise.”

 

                As I said the words, whispered into her ears, and stroked her soft long hair, she began to relax, and I could feel the stress unwind – albeit slowly – and soon, she felt less like a coiled spring, and more like a young woman.  Blushing, I released her.

 

                “I’m sorry, Morag.  I shouldn’t have been so familiar before we are all married…  But you looked like you needed a hug and someone to tell you what you needed to hear.”

 

                Morag smiled softly, and placed her hand on mine.  “No apologies are needed – unless you need to apologize to Rachel for giving me such a hug.  I’m sorry your words didn’t reach me, Rachel.”

 

                “I’m just glad one of us could help you, Morag.  And that looked like a great hug.”

 

                I turned and gave Rachel a hug too – a long bear hug.  “I love you, Rachel Wilson.”  I whispered.

 

                “And I, you.”  Rachel said quietly back.  “Now we’re even, Morag.”

 

                “Is this a competition for Castiel’s affections?”  Morag asked with a grin.

 

                “No.” Rachel replied with a smirk.  “A partnership… But the hug was nice.  Do you think  you’re ready to face the crowd and be crowned?”

 

                “Yes, I think so.  Will the two of you stand on the podium with me?”

 

                “Aye.”  I replied, as did Rachel.  “We will be at your side.”

               

                “Always?”  Morag asked in an unsure voice.

 

“For as long as you want us to be.”  Rachel replied, taking Morag’s hand.

 

Morag smiled.

 

Rachel gave me a peculiar look.  “Cass, what are you wearing?”

 

“Aye – are those my brothers clothes?”  Morag continued.

 

“Aye, they belonged to Prince Lugh.”  I replied.  “You should have seen the stuff Prince Michael had – Victorian garb right out of the 18th century, with the doublet and the cod piece and the neck frills and just… no.  It wasn’t me.  I am a Ghaelish king, and I decided I would dress like one…  Prince Michael liked Madragan clothes – and I’m afraid I do not.”

 

“You look good.”  Rachel smiled.  “A little highlander, but that’s the right look.”

 

“Aye, you look very handsome.”  Morag replied, with a sniffle.  “My brother didn’t fill them out as well.” 

 

“Would you like me to change?”  I asked.  “I didn’t mean to…”

 

“No!”  Morag interrupted.  “No… You look wonderful.  It just reminded me of my brother for a moment, is all.”

 

“If you’re sure…”

 

“I am.” 

 

I nodded, and smiled.  To be honest, the clothes were far less fancy that Prince Michaels – but suited me much better.  I was wearing a white linen shirt, with ivory buttons and much embroidery in the heraldry of Erevale, along with a tartan sash in Erevale’s colors.  I had an elaborate pouch at my waist – I think the scots back home would call a Sporran – and a small belt knife as part of the ensemble.  My nethers were clad in a fancy kilt and naught else, and I wore well fitting boots that rose to my knees, with the entire ensemble topped off by an elaborate cloak embroidered with silver and gold threads, in the manner of Callendish kings, and my crown.  I also wore the Callendish royal signet ring as well, and my sword was buckled at my waist.  To be honest, I was upset I hurt Morag, but these clothes suited me far more than the frippery Prince Michael had.  Morag gave me a long appraising look – as did Rachel – and apparently both of them liked what they saw. 

 

“We should get to the throne room.”  Morag stated.

 

“I have it on good authority they can’t start without you.”  I replied, smirking.

 

“Aye, but let’s not make them wait any more than they already have.”  She laughed.  “Let’s go.”

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

Rachel and I stood on the podium where the thrones of Erevale stood, next to Dowager Queen Elissa, and High Priest Kendall Serrano.  Music began to swell – drums, trumpets and the sound of bagpipes, singing a song of ancient Erevalish kings…  All around us were the lords and ladies of Erevale, the dukes and earls, barons and lesser nobles of the kingdom – and outside the palace were thousands of Erevalish citizens waiting to see their new queen.  The doors of the throne room opened at the hands of two royal guards – and in a procession, slow and regal, Princess Morag – dressed in her finest courtly clothes and jewels – approached our podium, surrounded by a full dozen of the royal guards. 

 

As she walked, the nobles of the kingdom turned, and bowed, and some touched the hem of her dress as she passed, in homage to both her and her father, King Conner, who was well-loved.  Eventually, she reached the podium, and paused, until Father Serrano bade her approach. 

 

“You look every inch a queen, my lady.”  He whispered. 

 

“Then make it so.”  Morag whispered.  “Please.”

 

Father Serrano cleared his voice, and continued – louder, so the crowd could hear.  He began with a prayer to Isundal and Askeline, the heads of the divine family most of the Ghaelish people followed – but continued afterwards with a prayer to Morian – the lord of choices, fate and kings. 

 

Once the preparatory prayers were completed, Father Serrano took a flask of holy blessed oil, and daubed Morag’s forehead.  “By this holy oil, I  anoint thee, Princess Morag Allison Connor.  By its mark, you are cleansed of your sins, and now I ask you to bow, so that I may anoint you with this holy oil, and confer to you the gods blessing.”

 

Father Serrano bade her bow – where he spilled more of it over her head, the holy oil dribbling down her neck somewhat.  Smiling, she rose, and stood proudly.  When she stood, Father Serrano had a crown in his hand – her father’s crown, resized for her.  Morag gulped, and stood firm.

 

“Then, by the grace of the gods…” He said, placing the crown upon her brow, “I name you Queen Morag, first of her line.  Long may she reign!”

 

At that moment, the assembled nobles rose, and called out “Long live the Queen!”  and the bells of the chapel began to ring – to cheers outside from the assembled citizens.  “Long live the Queen!”  echoed through the air, and Queen Morag smiled.

 

“Congratulations, your Majesty.”  Father Serrano began.  “I’m sure your father would be very proud of you.”

 

“Aye.  I just wish he hadn’t been taken so soon.”  Morag replied, sniffling.

 

Queen Elissa took her daughter into a hug, and whispered some advice – and Morag stood proudly. 

 

“I will, mother.”  She said quietly.

 

“Good – now go and greet your people.”

 

Morag looked over to Rachel and I.  I’m afraid I was grinning ear to ear – and Rachel probably was too.

 

“Will you two join me?” 

 

“Are you sure, Morag?”  Rachel asked.

 

“Aye. And you as well, Castiel.  Stand to my sides, both of you – but a bit behind.  I’d like you there with me.”

 

“It’s the least we can do, my lady.”  I replied.

 

We joined Queen Morag, and shared her moment with the people of Erevale, and even we, who didn’t really understand politics in Mercia, could tell Morag was sending a message – that she meant to ally herself or more – to Callenden – to myself, and Rachel.  If any in the crowd disagreed with their Queen, none spoke of it, and the cheers of the crowd went on for some time, before Morag and Rachel and I retreated from the balcony where she greeted the crowd, and returned to the palace.

 

“Thank the gods that’s over.”  Morag began.  “I feel famished…  We should get something to eat, and perhaps mingle with some of the nobles.  Then, we can begin preparations for the fall festival – and both Rachel and Alyssa’s Twin Soul ceremony.”

 

“But can we afford to leave Erevale so soon after your coronation, your Majesty?”  Rachel asked  “It would take maybe seven days at least to reach Enders Hollow.”

 

“I know, Rachel.  I know.  That’s why I sent for Alyssa’s parents and siblings, and for the Priestess Serra Haines to join us, so that your Twin Soul Ceremony would be the way you both imagined it would.  Father Serrano has graciously allowed Serra Haines to officiate the ceremony if she still wishes to.  They should arrive just in time.”

 

“Oh my god!  That’s great!  Thank you, your Majesty.”  Rachel replied.

 

“Please – to you I am Morag.  We are to be sister wives.  Save the honorifics for court.”

 

“Thank you, Morag.”

 

“You’re welcome.”  Morag replied, smiling.  “So I guess the question is, do we tell Alyssa, or leave it as a surprise?”

 

We laughed, and returned to the party, to schmooze with some of the higher nobles.  Today was for politics.  We could tell our friends the news tomorrow.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                “You mean my parents are coming here?  In a week?  Oh my gods!  Thank you your Majesty!  Thank you!”  Alyssa replied, gratefully. 

 

                “Well, as Castiel’s and Rachel’s friend, I had no choice.”  Morag grinned.  “Besides, I’d like to think we’ve become friends in our trials, Alyssa – especially after the battle of Callenden when we faced Queen Hemlock.  I wanted to do something nice for you – and it will be for Rachel, too – She was fond of Serra Haines, and Seoni was the priestess you originally both swore too when you began this journey.  It made me feel good to help.”

 

                “It makes me feel good, too, your Majesty.”  Alyssa grinned

 

“Congratulations, Alyssa!”  Tika chattered.  “Do they know I’m a Lady here, my Queen?”

 

“I may have mentioned to the messengers to find your parents, and let them know you’re alright, Lady Tika.”

 

“Oh boy.  Oh boy.  Oh boy.”  Tika ran around in a circle she was so stressed. “Will they be coming too?”

 

“To see their adopted daughter raised to the status of a lady of the realm?  I would suspect they might.”  Morag replied with an evil grin. 

 

“I have to go tell Prince Eacharn!”  Alyssa squealed.  “I can’t wait to introduce him to mom and dad… Oh my Gods!  He’s going to meet my mom and dad… Tika!  What do I do!?”

 

“I don’t know!  I don’t know!”  Tika replied in a tizzy.

 

“Ladies!”  Queen Morag replied loudly, taking charge.  “The first thing you need to do is Calm. Down.”  She waited a moment for Alyssa and Tika to relax and then continued.  “Next, I think Alyssa, you definitely should talk to King Castiel.  I think he may also have a surprise for you – and after that, Prince Eacharn.  Lady Tika, you might wish to accompany Alyssa to see Castiel – but let me say this: working yourself up into a frenzy won’t speed your family’s travel – all it will do is fatigue you and make you stressed and worried.  Relax, and take the time to prepare for their coming.  I promise you, they will receive a royal welcome.”

 

“Thank you, your Majesty!”  Tika chattered.

 

“Yes, thank you, your Majesty!” Alyssa repeated.  “I’ll go see King Castiel at once!”

 

Morag smirked as the two young ladies scurried off.  They would find their other surprises soon enough.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

                Samuel has outdone himself, I thought, looking at the clothes laid before me.  At last, something suitable to wear!  Before me laid several outfits that Samuel had begged, borrowed or bought from Queen Morag, and none of them looked like the ridiculous frippery from Madragoor.   Kilts, trousers, shirts – without the any of the superfluous ruffles and odd neck pieces or cod-pieces that Madragans favoured, but still of high quality cloth, and of coloring and quality suitable for a lord, or a king. 

 

                “Samuel, you’ve done well.  These are perfect.”

 

                “Thank you, your Majesty.  I took inspiration from your coronation outfit.”

 

                “It was a good choice.  Do you know if the documents I have to review today have arrived?”

 

                “I believe they are in Prince Eacharn’s office, milord.”  Samuel replied.

 

                “Very well, I’ll go see him once I’ve dressed and eaten.  That’s all for now, Samuel.”

 

                “Of course, Milord.  I shall be back shortly.”  Samuel took the cue, and left me be – ever since I explained to him that I preferred to dress myself when the clothes would allow for it, he left me be in the mornings – but he always inspected me before I went out in public – presumably to ensure I didn’t embarrass him or myself with some fashion faux-pas.  

 

Breakfast was simple bread, cheese and sausage… Oh, I suppose I could have had roasted quail or some fancy preparation from the kitchens, but the meals royals were served in Callenden and Erevale were rich, fatty, and sat in my stomach like lead weights.  I smirked to myself, thinking.  I’d kill for a simple bowl of Frosted Flakes or Cheerios.  I grinned, thinking fondly of earth, and finished my breakfast.

 

Today was for serious business…  The caravan of injured soldiers that were able to travel were returning to Erevale from Callenden today – and I wanted to go among them, and thank them for their valor at the battle that gave me my Kingdom.  Morag and Rachel were going to be with me, and we were going to let them all know we appreciated their sacrifices.  I also had to finalize the treaties and land grants I had promised King Connor in exchange for his aid in retaking Callenden.  It might be moot when Queen Morag and I married in the future, but a promise is a promise – and here in Mercia, if you didn’t keep your oaths, that reputation would follow you forever.  It also sets a bad example.  Basically, with Eacharns aid, we would be redrawing the western border of Callenden in Erevale’s favor this afternoon. 

 

Just as I was finishing my mental preparations for the day, there was a knock at my chamber door.  I got up and opened the door, to see Lady Tika and Alyssa waiting for me, and I grinned…  “Welcome, ladies.  Please come in.”   I motioned for them to enter, and we all sat.

 

“To what do I owe the honor?”  I began.

 

“Queen Morag said we should come and see you, Castiel.”  Tika replied.  “She said you had a surprise for us.”

 

“Aye, I do.”  I smirked.  “Would you like to know what it is?”

 

“Yes, please, your Majesty.”  Alyssa said, looking eager.

 

“Very well.” Said, standing and drawing my sword.  “Alyssa Seranel, Lady Tika Calhoun, kneel before your king.” 

 

Alyssa and Tika fell to their knees, and awaited whatever I had planned…  And I grinned in anticipation at their confusion. 

 

“Alyssa Seranel, for your aid in retaking my city of Callenden, and for the bravery and courage you have shown during our travels and adventures, and for the friendship you have offered freely since Rachel and I have arrived here, I name you the Baroness of Ender’s Hollow, and all the lands contained within.  Do you swear to serve me and my line loyally and unto death?”

 

“Aye!  Thank you, your Majesty!”  Alyssa replied, tears running down her face.

 

“Lady Tika Calhoun, for your friendship, and your aid in retaking my city of Callenden, and for bravery and courage while attempting to stop Queen Hemlock’s escape, I name you Lady Knight of Callenden, subject to all the privileges and duties thereof, and grant you lands in Callenden sufficient to see to your needs for now and into the future.  Do you swear to serve me and my line loyally and unto death?”

 

“Aye! Aye, I do!  Thank you Castiel!”  Lady Tike replied, excitedly. 

 

“Then let loyalty be repaid with loyalty, and treachery with swift death.  I name you Baroness Alyssa Seranel, first of her line, and Lady Tika Calhoun the Twice Knighted, first of her line.”  I dubbed them on the shoulders with my blade – and that was that.  “Now rise, my friends, and let me congratulate you properly.”

 

Alyssa stood up, crying, and I wrapped her in a firm hug.  “You deserve this, Alyssa.”  I said.

 

“Aye, but I never expected it, your Majesty.”  She said, wiping away her tears.  “Now I have to find a way to tell my parents I’m a noble lady.”

 

“Aye – and Tika as well.”  I knelt down to see Tika.  “How does it feel, Tika?”

 

“It’s an honor, your Majesty.”  Tika chattered.  “I don’t know what to say, other than thank you.”

 

“Tika, it is I who should be thanking you both.  Without yours and Alyssa’s aid, we would not have reached this point.  You earned every accolade you now have, and perhaps more in the future.”

 

“More?”  Alyssa goggled.  “Why?  How?”

 

“Queen Hemlock escaped.  She will be gathering allies – and if she isn’t preparing to make war on Callenden, she will be fortifying to repel our invasion of her lands.  Clan Gaighmorgan drove my Grandmother and Grandfather apart – they need to pay, and I strongly suspect Queen Hemlock will not rest until I am dead, and she has reclaimed Callenden – so if one of us must die, I much prefer it to be her.”

 

“So the war isn’t even near to being over?” Alyssa asked.

 

“I’m afraid not.  But…” I began, “Leave that to me for now.  I think Prince Eacharn would like to hear of your good fortune, Baroness, don’t you think?”

 

Alyssa blushed, and then blushed harder as she realized what I had done.  “You… You planned this!”  She replied, accusing me.

 

“Aye.  Are you mad about it, or happy?”  I laughed

 

“Both.”  She laughed, and hugged me firmly.  “Thank you, my King.”

 

“Go see your boyfriend, Alyssa.”  I replied – and Alyssa blushed even further.

 

“Aye, your Majesty.  At once.”  She curtsied and headed out.

 

Tika looked up at me.  “Is Prince Eacharn going to ask for Alyssa’s hand in marriage?”

 

“I strongly suspect that yes, he will be, Tika.   He discussed the matter with me just yesterday.  If not today, then soon.”

 

“Ohhhh!  I’m so excited for her!    I’m so happy!  She really likes Eacharn, and Eacharn is so nice to her and to me…  It’s perfect!”

 

“I’m glad you feel that way, Tika, because I have it on good authority that the lad you’re fond of – I believe his name was Kevin Tattarik-tik – is coming with your parents to meet you.”

 

“What!?”  Squeaked Tika.  “Nobody told me that!  Oh my gods!  What am I going to do!?”  Tika started running in a circle excitedly, and nervously. 

 

“Be yourself, Tika, and relax.  You are Tika the Twice-Knighted.  You are brave, and smart.  You’ll figure something out.

Go and make your preparations, my friend.”

 

Tika nodded.  “Thank you, your Majesty.  I’ve got to go prepare!  Oh my gods!” 

 

I grinned, and watched my friends rush off.  Sometimes it’s good to be king.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

I grinned, looking at the paperwork before me.  Morag had asked me to take care of some of the documents relating to the expenditures for the fall festival that was fast approaching, while she dealt with other affairs of the realm.  I had been glad to; honestly, Rachel’s fretting was driving me crazy – and since the fall festival was fast approaching, I wasn’t surprised. 

 

The last seven days had been full of preparations – bringing in the harvest, gathering food and supplies for the fall feasts, and all the hundreds of tasks that need to be accomplished at this time of year.  Plus, there had been the business with Priest Killian, helping arrange the Twin Soul Ceremony so that Serra Haines would be able to hold the ceremony properly.   I could tell Rachel was alternately both eager and frightened for the ceremony – it would change her life utterly – and although she desperately wanted it, I suspected she was worried that things would change between us, or between Morag, Her and I.  I think she’s worrying over nothing, but I wasn’t about to tell her not to worry.  There are easier ways to die than to tell an anxious woman to ‘calm down.’

 

Today was the fortieth  day of Summersend – and three days hence would begin the Fall Festival, on the first day of Harvestide.  I sighed, a little distracted.  Maybe in time I’d get used to the length of Mercian months, I thought, but I’m still used to thirty day months – not these forty two day months that seem to never end.  I chuckled a bit to myself, because if I was feeling like this last month had dragged on, I could only imagine how Rachel felt.

 

“Cass?”  I heard from the door to my office. 

 

I sighed, and put my pen down.  “Yes, Rachel?”  I replied patiently.

 

“Can I sit and talk with you, or something?”  Rachel asked.

 

“Sure thing, hon.”  I said, smiling.  “You’re nervous, aren’t you?”

 

“It shows?”  She asked – and I nearly snorted.

 

“Yes, it does Rachel.  You and Alyssa have been stressed out visibly for the last three days.”

 

“What?!  Seriously?”

 

“Yes, hon.  It’s obvious.”  I said, getting up to give her a hug.  “It’s okay… one more day and you’ll be Rachel in body as well as in mind.”

 

“Thanks, Cass.”  She smiled, returning the hug.  “Sorry I’m being a pain.”

 

“Hey, you’re not being a pain, love.  Look at how far you’ve come…  You left home, travelled to a new world, and have been medically transitioning via the tea as hormone replacement therapy for about two of these crazy long Mercian months… I’ve already seen some changes.  You’ve changed – and its not just your clothes.  You’ve been acting like – and been treated like – a girl for the past two months, and its shown.  Your behavior, your mannerisms – they’re all very feminine, and there’s more, but I don’t know if I should say it.”

 

“Say it, Cass.  What?”

 

“The tea has been good to you – haven’t you noticed you’ve got um… some little boobs now, and your face looks, well, softer.”  I replied, a bit embarrassed.

 

“Actually I did notice… but I didn’t think it was showing enough for anyone else to notice.”  Rachel sighed. “You noticed them?”  She grinned, happily.

 

“Umm. Yes.”  I blushed – I had caught myself looking at them more than once – alternating between the questions “What would they feel like to touch” and “What would they feel like to have”, 

 

Rachel grinned slyly.  “Thanks, Cass.”  She paused a moment, watching me blush, her smirk increasing.  “I’ve noticed some other effects too, and honestly, I’ve been deliriously happy being Rachel for the last two months… I guess the last 48 hours before my change is getting to me.”

 

“It’s understandable, Rachel.”  I replied.  “It’s going to be one of the most important days of your life, when it happens.  Of course you’re worried!”  I gave Rachel another hug, and smiled as I felt her finally relax and melt into me.  It felt nice, and I held her for a while.  “You know, dorkus, its going to be an important day for me too.  I finally get to see my best friends and future wife’s true self.”

 

“You mean it?”  Rachel whispered.

 

“Always.  We’ve both been waiting for this day – I’m anxious too, Rachel…  I’ve just been burying myself in work so I don’t fret.  You know what will take your mind off of worrying?  Helping Alyssa and Tika decide what to wear when their parents arrive this morning – and maybe helping them decide how to tell their parents that they’re noble ladies.  Unfortunately, I’m going to be tied up until lunch doing these accounts – and then I might have a few moments to say hello…  Morag wants me to sit in court today to see how a ruler deals with the problems of court, and I have a half a hundred other tasks to get finished if the Fall Festival is to go off without a hitch.”

 

“You know, Cass, that sounds like a good idea!  Maybe it will give me something to do other than fret.  Thanks for being a good boyfriend.  You always seem to know what to say.”

 

“I think that comes from caring, and from knowing each other so long.  You always seem to know what to say to me, Rachel, when I hurt.  It’s only fair I return the favor.”

 

“Love you, dorkus.”

 

“I Love you more.  Now go help Alyssa and Tika or they’ll still be in their jammies when their families get here.”

 

Rachel laughed, knowing it was probably true.  “Okay, Cass.  I’m on it.” 

 

As Rachel left the room, I smiled, and sat at the desk, sharpening my quill pen – something Rachel and I had needed to get used to during our stay in Mercia – pens with metal nibs were rare and expensive – so most used goose quills, or something like it.  It takes some time and practice to use one properly – so I sat and got started.  At least Rachel was feeling better.

 

 

*              *              *

 

                               

                When I got to Tika and Alyssa’s chamber, I could hear the two girls all aflutter in a panic…  I couldn’t help but smile.  Even squirrel girls on an alien world have no idea what to wear when they’re about to be reunited with their parents and her maybe boyfriend! 

 

I knocked gently on the door.  “Can I help, ladies?” 

 

“Oh thank the gods you’re here, Rachel… Tika and I need some advice on what we should wear!  Please!”  Alyssa anxiously replied.  “I’ve been going crazy trying to decide – and so has Tika.  Can you help us?”

 

“I’ll do my best, ladies.  First off, if you don’t look perfect, the world won’t end – but that doesn’t stop us from trying, right?  So what did you plan to wear, Alyssa – we’ll help Tika next.”

 

“I was thinking this green dress, with the yellow darts and bodice.”  Alyssa began, but showed Rachel another dress – a pretty blue one with taupe panels and long dangly sleeves.  “I can’t decide.”

 

I mean, I’m no genius when it comes to selecting clothes – I just haven’t had the time to learn that skill – but in the last few months I had learned something about fashion, and I thought both were mistakes.  “Hrmmm…  You want to make an impression that says ‘I’m a baroness who is about to marry a prince?’ or do you want to look more like the daughter they know and recognize?”

 

“Both!  I don’t want to be unapproachable – but I want to look pretty and show off, too!”  Alyssa groaned. 

 

“I’ve been telling her for the last hour she should wear the one she loves more, and ignore what impression it would give.”  Tika chattered.  “You might as well be comfortable.”

 

“Tika, there’s one thing I learned about womens fashion while transitioning – its not meant to be comfortable – it’s meant to make a statement.  I guess humans are weird like that.  Honestly, Alyssa, I’d go with the blue and taupe one – the light brown of the taupe is a good fit for your light brown hair, and the blue really pops.”

 

“You think so?!”

 

“Definitely.”  I laughed.  “Now get dressed!  We don’t have much time, and I’m sure you don’t want to leave them waiting when they arrive!”

 

                I turned to Tika.  “So what is your conundrum, Tika?”

 

                “I like comfortable clothes, but all the nice dresses and gowns the queen had made for me are a little uncomfortable – but they’re way prettier, and I like the fabrics.  Do you really think I should put up with it and wear the nicer ones?”

 

                “Honestly, Tika, as a noble lady you can wear what you wish – but you will be setting an example for other Reechi – in a way you’ll be a role model for any Noble Reechi that come after you.  I would wear the finer dresses for today – and maybe have some made that look fine and use nice fabrics, but are somewhat less constricting than the ones you have now.  Maybe we can get some of them altered over the next few days – but for right now, I think you should suck it up and wear the fancy ones…  Really impress your mom… and your maybe boyfriend!”

 

 

                “Aggh!  You had to mention that!”  Tika chattered in a panic, running around in circles.  “Which one?”

 

                “I think the red one, with the blue panels and the embroidered pearls.  It’ll knock their socks off – I mean, it will amaze them, Tika, and I’m sure they’ll be really proud of you!”

 

                “It won’t really knock their socks off, will it?”  Tika asked curiously.

 

                “Nah – that’s just something people from Earth say when they mean it will look amazing and beautiful.”

 

                “Whew!”  Tika sighed.  “Can you help me get dressed?”

 

                “Of course!”  I replied, and spent the next thirty minutes helping the two girls get dressed – medieval clothing took considerably longer to get into and out of due to the many layers, and the lack of zippers – buttons and ties had to hold everything in place and simple the act of tying and buttoning every layer of garments took time, even with help – which is why most fancy dressed ladies had maids to assist them.  Getting dressed in a fancy outfit was a CHORE.

 

                Once the girls were dressed, I helped brush out Alyssa’s hair, and help groom Tika’s fluffy tail, and then I helped Alyssa with some cosmetics – we kept it simple because our options were limited, and it wasn’t exactly necessary to get ready for court – just to look nice.  Thankfully Mercians like the natural look, and not the Elizabethan white-face that people in old England preferred, so doing the makeup was at least a little familiar.

 

                Thankfully, I finished helping them get ready before the carriage containing their parents and friends arrived.  “Come on, ladies.  We have to go wait for your folks in the courtyard – Castiel is busy with the accounts, and might not be able to join us until later.”

 

                Alyssa and Tika nodded, preparing themselves for the meeting that was to come.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                Tika was on my shoulder, fretting, while Alyssa stood nervously nearby – but with a sense of pride too – as the carriages carrying their families arrived, preceded by an honor guard of four Eravalish knights, and two carriages – one with Alyssa’s family, and the other with Tika’s mom and dad, her boyfriend Kevin, and the priestess Seoni Haines from Enders Hollow.

 

                Alyssa and Tika – and I too – did our best to look like regal young ladies as the carriage train arrived, and the riders dismounted.  Footmen rushed to the doors of the carriages, and held the doors open while others placed small stepping stools down to assist in climbing in and out – and two young men and a lady in castle livery blasted out a peal of welcome on their long silver horns to welcome our guests to Castle Erevale.

 

                Alyssa and walked demurely over to the carriages to greet her family – and Tika’s – but I could tell both ladies were tense and nervous.  “Tika… Would you mind not yanking my hair?”  I asked.  “It hurts.”

 

                “Sorry, Rachel.  I’m nervous.”

 

                I patted her on the head, and smiled.  “It’s okay.  You’ll do fine.”

 

                As we approached, Alyssa father Rodri, and her little brother Thomas emerged from the carriage – and goggled at Alyssa, dressed in her opulent finery.  Rodri quickly helped his wife Jessica, and his daughter – Alyssa’s sister – Carrie down from the carriage, and soon Alyssa was swarmed!  Tika’s parents, Lucinda and Jason Calhoun were also heading over to us, along with Seoni Haines and a Reechi lad – probably Kevin Tattarik-Tik.  The girls started chattering and greeting their kin – and I knew I had to take over or we’d be having a multi-hour meet and greet in the castle courtyard.

 

                I cleared my voice, and tried to sound queenly.  “Hello, everyone!  I can see a lot of amazement on your faces – and all will be explained – but I fear it is a long and complicated story.  The short of it, is I will soon be one of two Queens of Callenden, and your daughters are nobles of Callenden – and Tika in particular is also a noble of Erevale.  I invite you to join us all in one of the lounges, where some food and drink will be laid out to refresh you after your journey, and we can all talk about the past two months in some comfort.  Welcome to Castle Erevale!"

 

 

20