Chapter 40 – The Fire of Two Souls
484 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                “What do you mean, you’re a baroness?”  Rodri asked

 

                “I mean exactly that, father!  King Geoffrey – he’s going by Castiel now - took the throne, and for my aid he made me the baroness of Ender’s Hollow – and made Tika a Lady knight of Callenden – and gave us both lands in and around the town!”

 

                Lucinda, Tika’s mother looked shocked – pleased, but shocked.  “Is this true, young lady?”

 

                “Yup Yup!”  Tika giggled.  “King Castiel dubbed me Tika the Twice Knighted, because I’m a knight of both Erevale and Callenden… Which if things continue as expected, will soon be one kingdom.  King Castiel plans on marrying both Rachel and Queen Morag of Erevale when the time is right – and, correct me if I’m wrong, Rachel, but the match is amicable?”

 

                I blushed.  “Yes, Tika.  This is something both Morag and I agree to.  Some details may still need to be worked out – but those kind of details will be between Castiel, Morag and I.”

 

                “To think the four of you could have risen so far, so quickly!”  Jason Calhoun – Tika’s father – replied.  “I’m proud of you both!”

 

                “Aye, we’re all very proud of you.”  Alyssa’s mother, Jessica, was drying some tears of joy with a handkerchief, and looked like all her dreams had come true. 

 

                “Where is King Castiel?”  Seoni asked.

 

                “He’s doing some accounts to help pay for the fall festival, and then Queen Morag will have him with her, holding court for a few hours.  He’ll join us later today to welcome you and say hello.”

 

                “Speaking of which, I should speak with Kendall Serrano as soon as possible, to help arrange how the Twin Soul Ceremony will go.”

 

                “As I understand it, Serra Haines, his grace has taken care of the most basic preparations, and has left you great leeway to perform the ceremony for Alyssa and I in any way you choose.  He is aware of how close we are to King Castiel, and intends to let you take the lead.  I’m sure he would love to meet you.  If you like, I can take you to him after our meet and greet?”

 

                “That would be lovely!  Thank you.”

 

                “If its alright with you, Lady Rachel, I’ll show my parents and Kevin to their rooms – and Alyssa will show her parents and sibs to theirs.  It will give us some time alone – and let them settle in a bit more comfortably.”  Tika said.  “Mom and my sibs are looking tired.”

 

                “We’re fine, Tika.”  Lucinda replied, but the look of fatigue in her face, and body language put the lie to her statement – after almost 8 days on the road from Callenden, all of Alyssa’s and Tika’s relatives and friends looked exhausted – except perhaps for Kevin and Seoni, the priestess.

 

                “No, you’re not, mom.  You’re putting up a brave face, but it’s plain to see that you’re all tired.  So let me take you to rest, okay?”

 

                “Alright.  When did you get so bossy, young lady?”  Lucinda teased.

 

                “I guess when I got knighted.  I dunno.  I’m not bossy at all.”  Tika chattered.  “Come on…”

 

                And with that, the meet and greet ended, and we all went our ways.  After all, her grace Seoni Haines needed to be introduced to his grace Kendall Serrano – or else nothing would get done!  “Serra Haines, would you follow me, please?”

 

                “Of course!”

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                Tika sighed thankfully as she left her parents to rest and get settled.  They had just kept talking!  Still, it wouldn’t do to rush them, and she had so much to tell them.  Kevin didn’t say much of anything during the talk though, and it made her sad.  Did he not like her anymore?

 

                Now she and Kevin were alone in the hallway, and she was more nervous than ever.  “Did you want to see your room?”

 

                “Okay, milady.”  Kevin said, head bowed.

 

                “Hey, Kevin… Please, between us its Tika.  I’m still your friend aren’t I?”  Tika asked

 

                “I… I don’t know, Tika.  You’re a big hero, and a knight twice over – and I’m just some village lad.  What can I offer you?”

Kevin replied, sadly. 

 

                “You can still be my friend… If you want to.” 

 

                Kevin looked up, a small smile on his face.  “I… I want to, Tika.  I missed you.”

 

                Tika blushed.  He missed me!  She thought.  “I missed you too, you know.”

 

                “You did?”

 

                “Yup!  And we could have used your help too!”

 

                “How?  When?”

 

                “When we fought the evil Queen Hemlock!  Want me to tell you about it?”  Tika asked.

 

                “Okay.”  Kevin replied.  “But only if you let me tell you about how I’ve been training to join the local guards, and how I’ve been learning to use a sword – I mean a Reechi sized sword, not one of those big human ones.”

 

                “You’re going to be a warrior?!  Oh Cool!  Yeah, I want to hear all about it.  Oh!  And I have to tell you about Kip.  Kip is an older cat who adopted me, and we’re best friends.  He’s awesome – and he lets me ride him sometimes.  You want to try?”

 

                “If he likes me, sure.  I don’t want to get into a fight with a tomcat if I can help it.”

 

                “Don’t worry, Kev – he’s a cuddle kitten.  He won’t hurt you – he loves Reechi.”  Tika paused.  “I really did miss you, Kevin.”

 

                Now it was Kevin’s turn to blush, and he stammered.  “I missed you too.”   Kevin stepped closer, and gently put his arms on Tika’s shoulders, and leaned in…

 

                Tika froze, not knowing what was happening… and then, Kevin rubbed his muzzle on her cheeks, giving her a little whisker rub!  Oh my gods!  She thought, and swooned, returning his whisker rubs eagerly.  After the two Reechi had a private moment, they pulled apart.

 

                “Wow!”

 

                “Are you mad?”  Kevin asked.

 

                “No!  No!  I liked it.”  Tika replied.  In all of her 9 years, she had never been whisker rubbed like that!

 

                “I’m glad.”

 

                “Me too.  Want to see your room, Kevin?”

 

                “Yes, please.  I’d like to meet Kip too, if I can.”

 

                “That can be arranged.  And maybe we can have some time to ourselves before dinner?”

 

                Kevins whiskers twitched!  “Are you sure?”

 

                Tika flicked her tail at her boyfriend, and started to walk off.  “Come and find out.”  She said, as she led Kevin from the room.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                The next two days passed with alarming speed, and I barely had time to keep up with my duties, let alone have time for my own thoughts.  Still, that meant we were two days closer to Rachel and Alyssa’s Twin Soul ceremony – and as much as I wanted it to go well for them, I was personally torn about it.

 

                I wanted to be going with them.  And I didn’t.  I wanted both – to be male when I needed to be, and to be female when I wanted to be.  And I couldn’t.  At least, I couldn’t see how that could happen.  The last week had forced me to examine my thoughts about how I felt about me a lot more than I felt comfortable with, and I realized I didn’t want to be either male or female full time… I wanted to be able to change as my mood and needs required.

 

                “Way to put yourself in an unwinnable situation, Cass.”  I muttered to myself.

 

                I sighed in frustration – but no matter how I felt, there was no way I was going to screw up the ceremony for Alyssa and Rachel.  We had all been waiting too long for it to risk taking anything away from one of the most important days of their lives.

I had to admit, I was dying with curiosity to see what both of them would look like, when they were gifted with their new bodies.

 

                Still, I didn’t have much time to muse.  Samuel had helped me dress in some of the noble finery that Queen Morag had supplied – and I had to meet with Morag and Rachel to help officiate the beginning of the fall festival.  It was going to be the three of us, up on a stage, making a speech – and then the rest of the day would be a grand party – one going well into the evening.  Work probably wouldn’t restart until at least noon tomorrow, as everyone recovered from their hangovers from the night before.  It would take at least that long for the remains of the evenings feast to be cleaned up as well.  The grand banquet was offered each year by the Royal Family – a feast any citizen could take part in, free of charge, and literally mountains of food had been prepared for the feast.

 

                The people of Erevale were all milling around – bowing or curtseying as I approached – waiting for our official announcement to open the festival.  Queen Morag and Rachel were already on the stage erected in the village fairgrounds, waiting for me. 

 

                “Sorry I’m late, ladies… It took forever to figure out what to wear.”  I smirked.  It honestly had too – Samuel had nearly thrown a fit when he found most of Prince Roderick’s clothes were too small for me – and Prince Lugh’s were too large, and I very nearly had to wear the foppish frippery complete with neck ruffles and codpiece that Samuel’s father and grandfather had shipped me here with.  Thank the gods we had found a work around – I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing that outfit.  What I did end up wearing was a Green tartan kilt, with black leather boots, a white shirt, covered with a woolen vest dyed green, and a green and gold cloak.  Of course, I had my sporran, and a cloak clasp bearing the crest of Callenden – and the crown, which was upon my head.  I looked like I walked off the pages of Highlander.

 

                As I strode up the stairs to meet my future wives, I saw they were dressed in lovely attire as well.  Rachel was wearing a red velvet dress, studded with pearls and accented with cloth of gold, that set off her complexion and her sandy blonde hair perfectly.  She was wearing a jeweled ring on one finger – my grandmothers engagement ring – and around her neck was a silver chain with a teardrop pendant decorated in topaz.   Morag was equally, if not more resplendent.  She wore a green and yellow gown, studded with pearls and cloth of gold, and a crimson and gold cape.  The Crown of Erevale was upon her brow, and she wore many jewels – a bracelet studded with rubies, a ring with a pea sized diamond, and a necklace of platinum, studded with tiny rubies.  Together, we looked just as you might imagine royalty to appear – and the crowd hushed as I took the stage.

 

                “We were wondering if you were ever going to show up.”  Morag joked.

 

                “Aye.  Cold feet about tonight?”  Rachel asked.

 

                “Never.”  I replied, smiling – my personal misgivings aside, tonight was Rachel and Alyssa’s night.

 

                “Are we ready to begin the festival, my dearests?”  Morag asked quietly.

 

                “Aye.”  Rachel and I replied.

 

                “Do you mind if I announce our engagement?  I think it would begin the festival with some happy news.”

 

                Rachel and I looked at each other, and nodded.  “Of course not, Morag.  Go ahead.”

 

                “Thank you.”  She said, happily.

 

                Morag cleared her throat, and stepped forward.  “People of Erevale, hearken and listen to your Queen!  Today is a day of thanks – of thanks to the gods for the harvest we are about to receive!  But today is also a day of good cheer, and rest.  Let no man, woman or child be asked to work this day, save in service to the festival – and those that must work, will be suitably rewarded for their efforts!  I also have a wonderful announcement…  I would like to announce my engagement to King Castiel of Callenden – and my Sister-wife Lady Rachel Wilson.  Together, when we are married, we will rule the combined kingdoms of Erevale and Callenden together – and bring our nations to new levels of peace and cooperation… Once the problems that dwell on our western borders are properly dealt with…  Make no mistake – we are at war with Clan Glaighmorgan, and I will not rest until the witch who murdered my father and my three brothers is dead.  But that is a problem for another day – today is for celebration!  Eat, drink, and be merry, my friends.  Tomorrow will take care of itself.  Let the festival begin!”

 

                The crowd cheered, and called out!  “Three Cheers for the Queens!  Three Cheers for the King!  Gods bless you all!” 

 

                And just like that, the festival had begun.  I took Rachel and Morag’s hands, and we left the stage, and joined in the celebration and revelry.  All of us were nervous as hell – but in only a few short hours, Alyssa and Rachel would be at their Twin Soul Ceremony – and the anticipation was strong.

 

                Rachel looked up at me, and smiled – a happy, honest smile, so rare when she was back on Earth as David.  I smiled back, and looked over to Morag, who was waving and greeting the crowd.  She looked at me, and gently squeezed my hand, letting me know she was there.  And so the three of us went amongst the people, and mingled, enjoying the party until the day flitted away and the evening came.

 

               

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

                We gathered, after the feast, in the Chapel courtyard of the castle, where over the past few days the ceremonial pyre had been built for Alyssa and Rachel’s Twin soul ritual.  Rachel and Alyssa were with Alyssa’s mom and sister getting ready – dressed in their ceremonial robes – while Kendal Serrano and Seoni Haines were working together to prepare the ritual, and assembling the items that would be needed.

 

                Tika and her friend Kevin were nearby, along with her human parents Jason and Lucinda, as well as myself and Morag, Alyssa’s father and brother Rodri and Thomas, and Kip, Tika’s adopted tomcat rested nearby – watching, and probably judging us all.

And finally, my cousin, Prince Eacharn was there – no doubt to greet Alyssa the moment she stepped from the fire.  We had spoken earlier that day – and I knew he was planning something dramatic.  The atmosphere was tense as we waited, and I felt sick to my stomach.

 

                That dream I had was about to become real – and the sickness I felt inside was just a symptom of the stress and grief that had slowly been rising inside me all day.  I couldn’t help but remember my awful dream – my dream of this very moment - and crying myself to sleep afterwards.

 

                Dammit, Cass, get a hold of yourself, I thought.  I can’t ruin this for Alyssa and Rachel, no matter how I feel.  If worst comes to worst, I can do my own year and damn day, like everyone else does, even if it hurts.  I sighed, and blinked back a few tears.  The worst thing is, it wouldn’t even help – I’d feel just as trapped as I do now.

 

                Morag, sensing my distress, squeezed my hand.  “It has been a long wait for you and Rachel, hasn’t it?”

 

                “Aye, Morag.  Although it’s been only two or so of Mercia’s months, it feels like it has been much longer.”

 

                “Are your Earth’s years so much shorter?”  She asked – and I realized this was a discussion we had never had with her before now.

 

                “Our years are 365 days long – and Mercia’s year is 435 days long, when you figure in the week of the fall festival, Yule, and the new year’s celebration Conjunction.  Our months are either 30 or 31 days, mostly – so yeah, it does feel like a lot longer than we expected.”

 

                “That’s fascinating, Castiel.  Why don’t we speak more of this, more often?”

 

                I sighed.  “I guess it’s because Rachel and I decided to leave it behind when we chose to make Mercia our home.  If you’d like I can tell you more.”

 

                “I don’t want to make you homesick, Castiel.”

 

                “I don’t think it will, Morag – but thank you for worrying.  How about we talk more about it later?  There are actually some useful things we could incorporate from home without changing things too much, or for the worse, I think.”  Thoughts of a very simple sterling engine went through my mind, along with the pasteurization of milk, and possibly the germ theory of disease.  Not a lot of changes – but a start. 

 

                “Are you feeling well, Cass.  You look like you feel ill.”

 

                “I… I am feeling conflicted, Morag.”

 

                “I think I know why.”  She said, squeezing my hand.  “You wish you were going to join them – Rachel and Alyssa.”

 

                “Yes – and no.  I wish I could be both Castiel and Cassandra – not one or the other.  Without powerful magic, or more, that will be difficult at best.”

 

                “Both, not one or the other?  Honestly, I don’t understand why, but you have my sympathy and concern, Castiel.  Is neither one good enough – or is it that at one time you feel the need to be male – and another to be female?”

 

                “That is it, exactly, Morag.  Is there some kind of magic that exists that could help me?”

 

                “Aye, you dolt.” Morag replied kindly.  “We live in a land of magic, where sorcerers like Queen Hemlock – or Rachel, Alyssa and Tika - wield great power, and where the gods sometimes speak to mortals – like your own patrons, the Twins.  Tell me honestly, Cass, have you prayed to the twins about this conundrum?  Have you asked for their help?  Prayer is how we speak to the gods – and dreams and portents are often how they answer us – but for you… they speak to you… Do you not think they would help you if you asked?”

 

                “I… I uh…”

 

                “You didn’t, did you?”  She asked quietly.

 

                “No.  I didn’t think they would answer.”

 

                “They have every other time, or so you’ve said.”  Morag quipped.  “Is it that you didn’t think they would help you, or that maybe they would tell you no?  You have their favor, Castiel – and they may very well help you in any way they can.  They seem to have a purpose for you – and anything that helps that purpose come to fruition, they might aid.  Also, have you forgotten your adventure token again?”

 

                “What does the adventure token have to do with anything?”

 

                “Could it let you ‘unlock’ a power within yourself that allowed you to do the very thing you wish for the most?  Have you looked at least?”

 

                I felt like an idiot.  “I have not.”

 

                She sighed.  “Then I suggest you do so, my King.  Honestly, it is a power you possess, that you barely use.  Please, think of it more often – and consider asking the gods for help now and then – unlike your Earth, here sometimes prayers are answered.”

 

                “I guess you’re right.”

 

                “I AM right, Castiel.  Also – may I point out something that you have completely ignored?”

 

                “Yes, of course, Morag.”

 

                “You possess all the treasures of the kingdom of Callenden – and through me have access to all the treasures of the Kingdom of Erevale.  Have you considered within our treasuries, there might lie an enchanted item or three that might solve your problem handily?  Had you even considered looking, or even asking me to look?”

 

                “I…  No.  I apologize, Morag.  I have been unforgivably stupid these past few days and weeks.”

 

                “Yes, Castiel – you have… But I’m not saying these things to berate you, or show you your folly.  I’m telling you these things because I want you to realize that this situation is far from hopeless, and that it may even be easily remedied.  The only reason I didn’t suggest searching the treasury for an enchanted item for Rachel or Alyssa is because magical items are temporary – they can be taken or destroyed – and what they sought was permanent.  It would never be enough for them – but for you, Cass, they would be perfect.”

 

                I felt a tear roll down my cheek.  “I have never been so happy to have been called an idiot, Morag.  Thank you for seeing something in me that you could believe in.  Thank you for everything.”

 

                “You are very welcome, Geoffrey Castiel Fowler.  I really do care for you, even if my feelings are not reciprocated.”

 

                “Morag, I…”

 

                “Hush, Castiel.”  She said, placing a fingertip on my lips.  “Speak no promises now.  I know your heart belongs to Rachel.  I only hope that in time it will belong to me as well.” 

                               

                I nodded silently, and wrapped her in a hug.  How on Earth – or Mercia – could I have been so damn blind and stupid?  Once again, Morag saved me from my own foolishness and ignorance.  I smiled, and just held her tight.   She hadn’t let me say it, but I was feeling things for her.  I felt friendship and camaraderie, for sure, and a deep respect for her knowledge and ability – and to be honest, some amount of lust, for Morag was a rather attractive woman, even if she was a few years older than myself.  But recently there had been more.  The hours spent learning the rules of rulership – the time in court, deciding what to do over matters of state – and working together hand in hand for days on end, had allowed that friendship and mutual attraction to become something more.

 

                The penny dropped.  I loved Morag…  I loved her differently than I did Rachel – but I loved her.  I smiled, and continued the hug.  “Morag, I do not think you will have to wait overlong.”  I whispered, and released my wife to be.

 

                She looked up at me, her eyes watering.  “Do not tease me so, Geoffrey Castiel Fowler.”

 

                “I am not.”  I replied. “I am merely stating my truth, Morag Allison Connor.  I do not think you will have overlong to wait.”

 

                She sniffed, and brushed away what might have been a tear.  “Thank you, Cass.”

 

                “You’re most welcome, my lady.”  I said gladly, my morose mood dispelled – once again – by her good advice.

 

                “Hey, you two!”  Tika called over.  “It’s starting!”

 

 

               

*              *              *

 

 

                Alyssa’s mom and sister scurried out of the chapel’s door into the courtyard, and rushed over to her husband.  “She looks gorgeous, Rodri.  She’s going to be so happy!”

 

                Rodri nodded.  “Aye, she will.  Our second daughter.”  He sounded like he had a hitch in his throat, of happiness.

 

                “I bet she and Rachel will be beautiful!”  Tika chattered.  “I can’t wait to see them!”

 

                Seoni Haines approached the pyre of wood, with a lit torch, and lit the bonfire ablaze – the sacred wood had been doused with oil earlier for just this purpose, and the scent of cedar, sandalwood, white birch and yew filled the air as the blaze lit up the small courtyard around us.

 

                “Let the supplicants come forth!”  She called out in a firm, loud voice.

 

                Slowly, reverently, the door to the chapel opened, and Alyssa, then Rachel came forth.  They were dressed in only white shifts – thin robes that did little to hide their bodies, slowly blooming into women, underneath.  They looked apprehensive – and excited, and I watched with pride as they both approached the fire.

 

                Seoni waited until they stood before her, before the fire that was burning brightly behind her.  “We are gathered here together this evening, to witness a miracle of the gods.  In ages past, the Twins – Feana and Hathor were Feana and Heather, and when Askeline saw the pain her daughter was in, she granted a blessing upon her daughter Heather – who became Hathor, a man, and forever sealed the twins as the patrons of those who felt different, wrong, and trapped within their own skins.  Since that time, the Twin soul blessing has been passed down to the priests of our faith, to help realign those who’s souls do not match their bodies, through an accident of birth.”

 

                “Tonight, we shall see that same miracle, once performed upon a child of Askeline herself, performed upon the bodies of Baroness Alyssa Seranel of Ender’s Hollow, and Lady Rachel Wilson of Earth, soon to be Sister-Queen of both Erevale and Callenden.  I urge you to reflect upon the pain that they have felt – that all twin souled people have felt – and imagine what it might be like if we did not have this blessing… The pain they would endure their whole lives, for sure – and the constant despair.  That is the gift we are receiving today – the gift of alleviating despair, and of seeing the true nature of Alyssa and Rachel’s inner selves.”

 

                “For make no mistake, it is not the work of Askeline, to change these girls into something they are not – but a realigning of their bodies to the women they always were inside, and who they are about to become.  We will be doubly blessed – to see this miracle with our own eyes – and to see Alyssa and Rachel for the first time as the gods intended them to be.  For this we give thanks.”

 

                We lowered our heads for a few moments of silence, and I sent a prayer to the Twins, and their mother as well.  “Thank you, Feana, Hathor, and Askeline, for this gift.  Please let Rachel and Alyssa be happy.”  I muttered.

 

                After the moment of silence ended, Seoni began speaking again.  “These past months have been hard on Alyssa and Rachel – but they have done what was needed to prepare themselves for their new roles in life.  We do this, to ensure that each and every supplicant is truly sure that this is their hearts desire.  Alyssa, is this truly your heart’s desire, to be a woman, forever more?”

 

                “Aye, it is.”  Alyssa replied, her voice catching in her throat.

 

                “And you, Rachel… is this truly your heart’s desire as well – to be a woman, forever more?”

 

                “Yes!  It is!”  Rachel replied.

 

                “Then come forth, and be anointed in sacred oils.”  Seoni intoned, while Father Serrano gently poured sacred oils over their heads, spilling it through their hair and onto their robes.

 

                “Sacred mother, Askeline, goddess of change, of the moon, and of family, keeper of the keys of life and death, I ask that you turn your gentle gaze upon us this night.  May your mercy fall upon these two supplicants, and grant them the blessing of the twin souled upon their bodies.  For as surely as she heard the cries of anguish from her daughter Hathor – she hears them from you both.”

 

                There was a short pause, and gentle moonlight filled the glade.  It was a good omen.

 

                “And so, the Blessing of Askline, the Blessing of the Twin Souled is upon you.  Would you cast away all that you have been, and embrace what you are becoming?  Will you step forth into a new dawn as your heart demands, as your soul cries out to itself?  Are you ready to change who you were to who you will become?”

 

                “Aye.”  Rachel spoke in a whisper.

 

                “Aye.”  Alyssa replied, just as quietly, reverently.

 

                As they said those words, instead of envy for them both, I felt a fierce pride.  I was proud of them both – and from the look of it, so was everyone else.  This was their moment.

 

                “Then step forward, into the fire – and be reborn, like the phoenix of legend.”  Seoni intoned.

 

                Rachel and Alyssa took each others hand, and walked up to the edge of the fire – the sparks from the embers dancing in the air.  Then, as one, they stepped into the fire, and climbed to the center of the pyre – and the flames at first did not touch them… Then, the fire licked at the sacred oils spilled on their robes and their thin shifts – and they burst into flame…

 

                Instead of screams of pain and anguish, they became pillars of fire and light, a white hot flame that utterly consumed who they were – and left behind something wholly new.  In the flames, I could see the shadow of two beautiful women, who silently, still holding hands, emerged from the bonfire on the other side, where Seoni and Father Serrano wrapped them in white sheets to cover their nudity – the robes having immolated in the blaze.

 

                I rushed over to see, Morag with me – and saw them both.  Rachel was beautiful!  She had long, honey blonde hair down to her waist, with piercing blue eyes, and a curvy, attractive body…  She was tall, but not too tall… maybe five inches short of six feet, and her smile could light up the entire courtyard it was so joyous!  Alyssa had long brown hair of equal length, and was shorter than Rachel by two or three inches – with deep brown eyes.  She looked just as beautiful, and just as joyous as Rachel.  Dimly, I was aware of Alyssa’s parents and Tika crying, and I felt tears in my own eyes.

 

                “Welcome to the rest of your lives, ladies.”  Seoni said quietly.  “Let us give thanks.”  She took the hands of the two girls, and together they said a quiet prayer of thanks – as did we all – and then Seoni stood and spoke again.

 

                “Tonight, we have witnessed a miracle of mercy, a miracle of love between our heavenly mother and her mortal children.  Let us give thanks to our mother, Askeline, the Lady of Mercy for her kindness and her blessings – and may Alyssa and Rachel live both long and happy lives!”

 

                “Thank the goddess!” all of us exclaimed, and just like that, the ceremony was over.  Seoni stepped down off her small stage, and we all rushed to see Rachel and Alyssa.  Alyssa’s family was obviously surrounding her, while Eacharn hung back to give the family a moment, as did Tika and Kevin – who instead accompanied Morag and Myself to Rachel’s side.

 

                “How… How did I turn out, Cass?”  Rachel asked nervously.

 

                “You’re… you’re perfect, Rachel.  You’re beautiful in every way.”  I replied, my throat hoarse with emotion…  I had seen hints of her peeking out over the last two months – but now, all the dross was shed away, and I could see her for who she truly was.  She was Rachel Wilson, and David Wilson was no more.  She was beautiful… and I couldn’t speak.

 

                She came and hugged me – and laughed, now that she had to look up to me.  I hugged her back, so choked with emotion I couldn’t speak.  Finally, I croaked out “I love you,” and felt her melt into my arms.  It lasted only a moment, but it felt like heaven.

 

                “How do you feel, Rachel?”  Morag asked.

 

                “Healed, Morag… Like I’m whole, and better, for the first time in my life… Is that my voice?”  Rachel replied.  “I sound damn sexy.”

 

                “You do.”  I laughed.  “You’re beautiful, Rache.”

 

                “Thank you, Cass.”

 

                “It’s the truth.”  I said.  “Honestly.”

 

                “Should I leave the two of you alone?”  Morag asked quietly, not without a hint of sadness.

 

                “No.”  I said.  “I have something to say to both of you.”

 

                Now it was their turn to look confused.

 

                “Rachel, may I?”  I asked, as I gently removed my grandmother’s ring from around her neck, and reached down to my hand, and for the moment, took my signet off my finger.

 

                I knelt before both of them, and in the firelight of the ritual bonfire, I spoke.  “Rachel Wilson, and Morag Connors, would you do me the great honor of being my wives, in sickness and in health, in fire and flame, till death or fate tear us apart?  In return, I give you all that I am – my heart, my kingdom, and my life.  They are yours, if you will have them.”

 

                I offered my grandmother’s ring to Rachel, and my signet to Morag – and I found them both with tears in their eyes.

 

                Rachel was the first to speak…  “Yes, oh my gods, yes, Castiel.  I’ll marry you – and Morag too.  You dorkus.”

 

                I smiled at her insult…  “I love you too. And its dorkus maximus… We’ve been over that before.”

 

                “I guess we have.”  She said, wiping a tear away.  I helped her put on the ring.

 

                I turned to Morag, who was tearing up as well.  “I accept your offer, my husband to be.  And I will stand with you and Rachel, besides the slings and arrows of fate, until death or fate part us.  I know for now your heart belongs to Rachel – but I hope in time, it will also belong to me – if you can bring yourself to share him with me, that is, Rachel.”

 

                I embraced Morag, and helped her put my royal signet on her finger.  “That’s only until I can get you a proper ring, Morag.”

 

                “Aye, I know.  ‘Tis the symbology that matters.  The ring is the mark of the Great Maker, who blesses all such weddings.  A golden circle that encompasses all that is.  I shall return it to you in the morning, if that is all right?”

 

                “Aye.  I entrust it you with all my heart, Morag.”  I said, and drew her into a hug, kissing her deeply.  When I pulled away, she had tears in her eyes, and her cheeks were flushed, but she was smiling.

 

                I looked at Rachel, and she nodded, and I took her hand.  Nearby, I could see Prince Eacharn on his knees, before Alyssa, and Eacharn was offering her a ring, just as I had.  I love it when a plan comes together!  Alyssa squealed with joy, and the two embraced – and everyone assembled clapped in joy.

 

                “It seems someone else had the same idea as I did.”  I said, dryly.

 

                “Uh huh.”  Rachel laughed.  “Did you two plan this?”

 

                “Yep!” 

 

                “Dorkus.  I mean Dorkus Maximus.”

 

                “Better.”  I smiled.

 

                “We should go and tell them our good news as well.”  Morag suggested

 

                And so we went to share our good news, and hear of theirs – and the night was long and joyous as we rejoined the celebration.  The dancing, and feasting would go on for hours – but nothing would take these special moments from us, and to be honest, I had eyes only for Rachel and Morag for the rest of the night.

 

                Eventually, Morag took me aside.  “Castiel, I know we are betrothed, and I know how you feel about Rachel.  I think you should spend the night with her, and let her know how you feel.  I’ll leave you both for now – and dream fondly of the day you feel the same way about me, milord.”

 

                “I… I’m sorry I can’t right now, Morag.”

 

                “I know.  It’s alright, Castiel…  But this is yours and Rachel’s moment.  Mine, if it comes at all, will come later, and I accept that.  But for right now, Rachel needs you.”

 

                “Thank you, Morag.”

 

                She smiled sadly.  “You’re welcome, husband.”   She brushed another tear away, and retreated quietly into the castle.

 

                I watched her go, and felt a gentle hand upon my arm. 

 

                “Is Morag okay?”  Rachel asked.

 

                “Yes and no, Rache.  I think she’s in love with me – like really in love – and she just said I should spend the night with you to show you how much I love you.  She’s jealous of how I feel about you.  I think she truly wants us to have a three-way marriage – with all of us together.”

 

                Rachel looked pensive for a moment, and thought a bit.  “Is that what you want?”  She asked.

 

                “Honestly, yes.  I think it would be the best for all three of us, if we could love one another.”   I sighed.  “But although I care for you both, I’m not at that point with her – and I think neither are you.  We both need more time.  I could see it happening though, if things went well.”

 

                “Aye.  I could too.”  Rachel said quietly.  “Would you lie with me tonight, Castiel?”

 

                “For tonight, and every other night that comes, for as long as you’ll have me.”

 

                Rachel smiled, and brushed a tear from her eye.  “Why do you always know what to say?”

 

                “I dunno.  I guess I’m kind of charming?”

 

                She shook her head, and I took her arm, and we left the glade, and headed to our chambers.

 

 

25