Chapter 41 – Interactions and deliberations
441 7 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                “How does it feel, Rachel, being who you’re meant to be?”  I asked as we quietly slipped away from the festival grounds.

 

                “I’m not sure I can explain it.  Think of it like an annoying itch that makes you feel uncomfortable your whole life – for years on end, with no relief, to the point where it causes pain – and now it feels like I was able to scratch it and it feels wonderful.  I feel whole.  I feel like me, instead of someone pretending to be me, or wearing a Rachel mask.  I feel free, and full of joy – I… I don’t know how else to describe it, Cass.”

 

                Rachel paused, and looked at me.  “Are you okay, Cass?”

 

                “Yeah, I am, Rachel.”  I replied – and honestly, in that moment, it was true.  I was okay.  My problems could be dealt with now that my head was pulled out of my ass – and everything else was falling into place…  The only thorn that remained was Queen Hemlock and clan Glaighmorgan.

 

                “Okay.”  Rachel looked concerned, but didn’t argue.  “Are we going to your rooms or mine?”  She joked.

 

                “Mine, if its alright with you.  Samuel will have a bird if he can’t find me to dress me tomorrow morning.”

 

                “How are you getting along with him?”

 

                “Pretty well.  He’s learning my tastes and what I will and won’t wear, and I think we’re becoming friends in our own way.  He’s been very informative about a lot of things – I could totally see him being my confidante in time.”

 

                “Like Bruce Wayne’s Alfred?”  She giggled.

 

                “Yes and no.  I don’t think he’s going to ever be a fighter, but he has a good head on his shoulders, and he knows a lot about Queen Hemlock and Prince Michael – and he’s been telling me about some of their particular personality quirks.  Queen Hemlock employs a food taster, for example – and will not allow anyone with magical abilities – other than her – to serve in the palace.  The Only exception was Alistair the Wise – because he was a dear friend to King Collin.  After King Collin’s death, he probably would have been kicked out of the palace as soon as possible.”

 

                “Do you think she may have a weakness to magic?”

 

                “Maybe.  Maybe she’s just very paranoid.  I dunno.”  By now we had reached the royal quarters of the palace, and our rooms were not far.  “Let’s talk about us tonight.”   Rachel blushed – and she looked so pretty with her honey blonde hair and her beautiful body, and her blue eyes, I thought my heart would burst. 

 

“That suits me fine, Cass.” 

 

                We entered my chambers, and I took her over to my bed, where we sat down.  “What do you want to happen tonight, Rachel?  I don’t want to go too fast, if you’re not comfortable with any of this.”

 

                Her answer was fierce, and quick…  She grabbed my face, and planted a kiss on me so fierce, and so full of need, it took my breath away.  “I want everything.  I want to be a woman, Cass.  Can you do that for me?”

 

                I grinned.  “Yes, ma’am.  I think I can.  If it starts to hurt, let me know, okay?”

 

                “I will.  Now help me out of this damn gown before I take a knife and cut all the laces off it!”

 

                I nodded, and helped her with her laces – meanwhile she was unbuttoning my shirt, and covering my chest in kisses, and to say it was distracting would be an understatement.  Finally, I got the last of the laces undone, and Rachel stood up – and her dress slid off of her to the floor, leaving her clad only in her underthings…  I could feel myself respond, and my breath quickened.  I pulled my shirt off, and then my boots and kilt – leaving me also in my breechcloths.  A few moments later and we were both naked, and kissing each other – my hands on her breasts, and hers on my back, and my chest.

 

                Long minutes passed as we necked and petted, raising each of us to the heights of anticipation.  We were both ready – and as clumsy and halting as our lovemaking was, we knew we would have all the time we needed to get it right in the future…  Right now, we were filled with need – a longing that had gone too long unfulfilled. 

 

                Honestly, I don’t think we could have stopped at that point even if we had wanted to. 

 

                As I pierced her, Rachel cried out in momentary pain – and then soon her whimper was replaced with moans, and then cries of joy, and we were lost in the act as old as time itself.  We thrust and rutted, full of the sensations and each other, with no mind for anything else.  We raised each other to the heights of passion, crested them, and then rode them down back to earth.

 

                Rachel was lying back, next to me – and she looked lost in bliss, so I waited for her to come back down.  All I felt was love for her, and in that moment, I knew I would never, ever, stop loving her.  She was my lover, my best friend – and my Queen.  I smiled, and gently kissed her cheek.

 

                “Was it everything you expected?”  I whispered.

 

                “It was all that and so much more, Cass.”  She said, crying.  “It was perfect.”

 

                “Did I hurt you?”

 

                “Only at first… After that everything was amazing.  I’m not hurt, Cass.”

 

                “That’s good, Rache.  Did you want to just rest a bit?”

 

                “No… no really.  I’d like to maybe try again, but a little slower this time – and maybe we both take some time to explore each other a bit more?”

 

                “Okay, Rachel.”  I said smiling.  “Whatever my lady commands.”

 

                Rachel grinned.  “Good boy.”

 

                To say the night was long, and we didn’t get much sleep would be an understatement – but in those moments, Rachel and I connected on a level that we had never experienced before.  She was mine – and I was hers, and together we were magic.

 

                We eventually fell asleep in the wee hours of the night – both of us utterly spent.  It was a night I would never forget.

 

 

*              *              *

 

                When I woke, the first thing I noticed was my arms were wrapped around Rachels womanly body, and were clutching her breasts – and that I was at full mast with morning wood.  It seemed like she didn’t mind, because she was slowly grinding herself against me, and I really liked it.

 

                “You want more?  Minx.”  I laughed

 

                “Yes, and no…  It feels lovely.  You were amazing last night, Cass.”

 

                “You too, Rachel.  It was definitely worth the wait.”

 

                “Oh my gods, yes.”  She laughed.  “Do we have anything important to do today?”

 

                “Unfortunately yes.  We have to start making preparations to return to Callenden.  We still have a war to wage against Queen Hemlock – and although some of the troops returned home with the injured, most of the Erevalish troops remained in Callenden, and they need to meet their new Queen.  Plus, Fionn has been in charge of the kingdom for almost four weeks now – and by the time we get back, it will probably be closer to five or six weeks.  There’s too much to be done to wait any longer.”

 

                “So you’re saying we can’t stay in bed all day.”  Rachel replied, pouting.

 

                “Yes, honey.  We need to get up, as much as I hate the idea too.”

 

                She sighed, and we both knew it was mostly for effect.  There would be many nights for us to lay together – but right now duty called, and we both rose to the occasion. 

 

                “I’d best get back to my chambers and get dressed, then.”  She said.

 

                “Aye, and I’ll get ready as well.  I love you, Rachel Wilson.”

 

                “And I love you, Castiel.”  She replied, squeezing my hand gently.

 

                We kissed one more time, and got up to get ready for the day.

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                Later, after getting cleaned up and dressing, and having something simple to eat for breakfast, I left my chambers feeling like nothing could bring me down.  I’m sure I was beaming – and I’m sure Rachel looked the same way.  On the way to Erevales council chamber, I saw my cousin, Eacharn.

 

                “Hey, Eacharn!  Wait up!”

 

                “Ah, Milord Castiel!  How are you doing this fine morning?”  he said, grinning.  Apparently, he and Alyssa had spent some time together last night as well, and honestly, I couldn’t be happier for them both.

 

                “Good…  Better than good, actually.  I was just headed to the council chambers to work on the logistics of getting more troops to the front, near Callenden, and seeing what we can do about the wounded from the last battle.”

 

                “Then I think I can help you, Milord.  Walk with me.”  He asked, motioning for me to join him.

 

                “As you know, we have many injured – most of which remained in Callenden to heal – while the worst injured – those who need months , not weeks to recover – were brought to Erevale.  The assault on Callenden was hard – and we lost a large number of troops – but at the same time, we now have the combined armies of Callenden and Erevale – and they are quite a potent force together.  Callenden, Erevale and Glaighmorgan are the three largest kingdoms in Ghaelorn, with Callenden being the strongest and wealthiest.  I’ve heard rumors that the bandits in the east we’ve been hearing about have been agents of Clan Glaighmorgan stirring up trouble.  They might even be considering gobbling up the smaller clans in the east.”

 

                “That is not good news.” My voice was grim, and Eacharn nodded in agreement.

 

                “No, it isn’t Milord.  We may very well be in a war that will result in a unified Ghaelorn – for if she conquers most of the east – and we already control most of the west – then whomever wins this war, will control virtually the entire country.  Assuming we win, that would make you the High King of Ghaelorn, Milord, over all the warring clans.”

 

                “I’m no empire builder, Eacharn.”  I replied.

 

                “Perhaps not, Castiel – but consider this: the clans will have to ally with someone – either Hemlock or us – or else risk being gobbled up by Hemlock piecemeal.  At least with us, they can retain their autonomy…  I strongly suspect Queen Hemlock won’t let many of them live if they oppose her, and will force them to bend a knee to her.   Also, if they side with her, we must fight them as well – but if we can convince the smaller clans to side with us, we gain even more troops and have less we have to fight.  Castiel, no matter what happens next, we will either see a unified Ghaelorn under one lord, or we will see all three major kingdoms destroyed by war.  We should take the opportunity to open diplomatic relations immediately with as many clans as we can contact.”

 

                I thought about his words, and agreed.  “We need to discuss it with Morag and Rachel, but I agree.  Queen Hemlock has forced this upon us – and no doubt the other clans see it, or at least suspect it as well.”

 

                “True.  But whether they see us as any better than Queen Hemlock remains to be seen.  Your growing legend as a Vigilant and the Hero grandson of King Collin and Janet Fowler may help as well.  They were well loved in the region – not just Callenden.”

 

                “Really?” 

 

                “Aye.  They did many favors for other fiefdoms in their adventures – Prince Collin’s way of diplomacy when he was younger.  It forged many friendships that Queen Hemlock and Prince Michael squandered.”

 

                I mused over Eacharns information, and nodded.  That was actually very good for us.  I wondered what Morag and her tactical mind would think of our deliberations…  She always surprised me, and she was sharp as a tack.  Rachel and I would be lost without her – and I think she knew it too.  “Let’s see what the others have to say.”

 

                We kept walking, and entered the council chambers.

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

                As it was, Morag was waiting for us by the time we arrived at the council chambers – and with her was Father Kendal Serranno, her seneschal (whom I had not yet met) and numerous functionaries necessary to the running of a castle and kingdom.  It looked like we had a busy morning ahead of us.  The long and runny of it all was basically this…  Morag and Rachel and I were at war with Queen Hemlock and Clan Glaighmorgan – and in the end, only kingdom would remain… Callenden and Erevale – or Ravenscar – the name of the Kingdom Queen Hemlock hailed from.  And in the process of winning this war, both sides – ours and hers – would force the smaller clans to pick sides, both to provide allies, but also to ensure we didn’t have to fight that clan as well.  Just talking about all the potential pitfalls and disasters that could befall us made my head hurt – and by the end of the afternoon, my head was throbbing, and I was exhausted.

 

                Morag and I had retreated to a small lounge to have some drinks – sweet iced tea, and some tasty cookies.  Apparently the ice cubes for the tea were provided by a “kitchen witch” with weak water magic who liked to use her powers to ‘fancy up the food’ in the castle. She sometimes made ice cream as well.  I heartily approved of both as I sipped my iced tea.

 

                “What’s on your mind, Castiel?”  Morag asked quietly.

 

                “Aside from a mild headache?  I guess I’m just coming to terms with the concept of you and Rachel and I being in charge of an army that has to unite the entire country just to survive.  If we have to do this, I don’t want to do it in a way that will plunge Ghaelorn into a century of war – it needs to be quick, decisive, and over in the short term…  Oh – not for Queen Hemlock – she’s going to die.  I haven’t forgotten my promise to you, Morag.  What I mean is that I would be content with our lands – and Glaighmorgan’s too of course – and to let the smaller clans simply be, after the war – either as allies or separate smaller states that have autonomy.”

 

                “Aye, that could work – if everything goes well.”  Morag said, sipping some tea.  “It might not though – and part of today was to prepare you and I and our seneschals and advisors for what might become a war that lasts considerably longer.  What is it you and Rachel say?  Best to be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best?  That is what today was about, Castiel.”

 

                “I guess it was.  I thank the gods Rachel and I met you – I’d be lost right now, without your aid.”  I smiled, and squeezed her hand.

 

                “It was my pleasure, Castiel.  May I ask you a personal question?”

 

                “Of course.”

 

                “What was last night like for you and Rachel?  Was it everything you both had hoped for?”

 

                I thought very carefully for a moment, and sighed gently.  “It was everything we had both hoped for, yes.  Rachel and I have been best friends for over a decade, and to share together in the manner we did last night was the culmination of everything that has been building between us for these last few months.  But I take it that is not what you truly wanted to know… Am I right, my Queen?”

 

                “I… uh… No – I mean, yes.  I was wondering if after last night there was room in your heart for me as well?  When we first discussed this marriage, and I said I was content being a political wife, I think I may have been wrong.  I have… I have feelings for you, Castiel, and I, like any woman, wish to act on them.  Do you think in time, you could come to love me, also?”  Morag’s eyes were tearing up, and her voice breaking around the edges.

 

                I held her hand to my lips, and gently kissed her fingers.  “Morag, I don’t know what I can say to make this better.  I love Rachel – but I do have feelings for you as well, and they have been growing the longer I have known you.  You are the most competent, powerful and confident woman I have ever known… How could I not have feelings for you?  The problem we have is that they are still growing, and not yet matured – but I can feel in my heart they will in time.  I love you, Morag, and I love Rachel.  There is room in my heart for both of you.  Please, just give me some more time.  For this to work, Rachel has to be on board too, or it will forever set you both against each other – to see who has more of my favors and affections, rather than us working as a complete whole.  Let me speak to her, and perhaps we can resolve this, Morag.”

 

                “Yes, please!”  Morag whispered, leaning in towards me.  “Do you love me?”

 

                “I do.”  I replied, quietly.

 

                “Then kiss me, and show me the truth.”

 

                I leaned in, and wrapped Morag in my arms, and looked into her eyes, brimming with unspent tears.  “I love you, Morag Connor.  I love you, and want you to be my wife, when we are ready.”  I kissed her – gently, softly, and she kissed me back – with a fierce passion that caught me off guard.  Our tongues entwined and met, and the kisses continued, until when we both pulled apart, we were panting and flushed.

 

                Morag looked at me, like she was judging me – judging our kiss – and smiled.  “I love you too, Geoffrey Castiel Fowler.  I will try to give your heart time for its feelings to mature – but please don’t have me wait too long, my King.  I do not know if I can stand it.”

 

                I gulped, and nodded.  My heart was racing, and I could still taste the cinnamon flavor of the color on her lips…  “I will do what I can, my Queen… but I can make no promises, nor give you a date.”

 

                She nodded, sadly.  “I know.  But I could feel our kiss.  It will suffice until I can have your heart as well.”  She paused a moment, and then smiled at me.  “Castiel, would you like a surprise?  I have something for you – and I can either give it to you today, or when we return to Callenden, but I believe you might prefer it sooner than later.”

 

                “What is it, Morag?  You don’t need to get me any gifts.  I already have everything I could want.”

 

                “Well, I thought perhaps you might recall a conversation we recently had about the treasure troves of Erevale and Callenden, and your… particular problem.  I took a look last night and I think I found something that may aid you in a way.”

 

                “I… Uh…”

 

                Morag laughed.  “And now it is you who is on the defensive!  Tell me, would you like to see this gift?”

 

                I blushed.  “Yes.”

 

                “Then come with me, my King.” 

 

Morag rose, and motioned for me to follow her, so I did, nervous and sweating.  Why would she do this?  I wondered.  I held my whirling thoughts in check, and we headed through the castle to her private chambers, and went inside – the guards staying outside, thankfully.

 

Morag went to her bed, and pulled a broad leather belt from a drawer – it looked like any of the medieval belts I’d seen here in Ghaelorn – wide, black leather – although this one was finely decorated, suitable for a wealthy merchant or knight, with decorative tooling on the leather itself, covered with silver studs and finished with a polished pair of silver buckles.  The buckles bore the sigil of the Twins – one for Feana, one for Hathor.  This was obviously what Morag had discovered in her vault.

 

“My scholars say this belt used to belong to a knight of Erevale three centuries ago.  She was a Vigilant, like you – and was named Caoimhe of Thornhall.  It is said this girdle of hers gave her strength in battle, and protection as well, but it also was said to allow her to change into a man – or back to a woman – as she wished.  Indeed, she changed so many times, as the need took her, that no one now living remembers if she was born a woman or a man.  The scholars agree that Caoimhe claimed it was an act of devotion to the twins, but there are rumors that she felt both male and female – and this was her means of attaining both.  I do not know the origins of the belt itself, save that it came into her possession before she finished her training as a Vigilant.  My loremaster said one of her quotes was “It matters not if I am a man, or a woman.  I am a Vigilant, and that shall suffice.”  When I realized what I had found, Castiel, I thought of you.”

 

“Thank you, Morag.”  I said, quietly.  “I’m grateful.”

 

“I thought you might be, Castiel.”  She returned.  “Would you like to try it on?”

 

“Now?”

 

“Is there a better time?  Even if we leave for Callenden tomorrow, it will be four days riding the fastest horses to get there – and five or six days with lesser steeds.  That should give you enough time to experience what you wish, and also discover the means with how you can change back and forth by the time we arrive.  Then, once you have mastered it, you can use it as you wish.”

 

Tears came to my eyes, unbidden.  “Thank you.”

 

 

“Thank me by being happy, my King.  Be who you must be when you must, and be whom you want to be when you can.  I shall love you no matter what form you take.”  Morag replied gently, placing the belt within my hands.  “Don it when you are ready, and wield it wisely.  It’s other enchantments – strength and protection – should serve you well, either way, Castiel.”

 

I nodded, unable to speak clearly, tears running down my face.  My heart was filled with gratitude and love for Morag, my queen to be, and I took the belt in my hands and clutched it to me, almost like a life preserver.

 

“Now, go Cass.  You need some time alone, and I need to arrange for all of us to return to Callenden.  Take this time for yourself… Please.”

 

I nodded, and before I left her room, I kissed her cheek, and left for my chambers.  My thoughts were confused, and awhirl – but all I could put into words was ‘I won’t hurt anymore. Thank the gods.’ 

 

                I rushed to my chambers, and ushered my servants out – I wanted to be alone for this.  Samuel will have to find a way to work this belt into everyone of my outfits if this does what Morag says it will, I thought to myself.  My fingers fumbled with the buckles, I was so nervous… A few moments later, the belt was undone, and I stripped off the belt I was wearing. 

 

                It was the moment of truth.

 

                I donned the belt of Caoimhe of Thornhall, and buckled it against my waist… and there was a strong tingling sensation as I buckled it shut – I felt strength flow into me, and felt in some way that I was protected from harm – and I could feel the magic of the Twins at work – but as for my appearance?  Nothing happened.

 

                Did I use it wrong?  No – I don’t think so…  Maybe I have to do something to trigger the change?  I looked at the buckles – one for Feana, and one for Hathor…  Feana was the female twin, and Hathor the male…  I gently touched the buckle showing Feana’s Sigil, and whispered a short prayer.  “Feana, if I may, allow me to become my other self for a time.”

 

                Suddenly, I could feel something – a warmth?  A presence?   Golden and blue magical lights played around me, covering me from head to toe – and suddenly as it began, it was over… I knew immediately that it had worked, and I had to see!  I rushed to a large

mirror in my room, and took a look at myself.

 

                I was a bit shorter – maybe three or four inches shorter – but I was a woman!  My body was wearing mens clothing – it hadn’t changed what I wore – but the sizes of the clothes had changed to fit my new form, so it didn’t look out of place - instead looking like a woman wearing her brothers clothes.  I had a generous bosom, and hips – and my waist seemed considerably smaller – and I had long brown hair, and a kind, gentle and pretty face. 

 

                I was Cassandra, as I had seen her in my dream, on the hills overlooking Callenden. 

 

                I took in every detail, running my hand over the smoothness of her face, the shape of her curves…  In a way, I was discovering a new part of myself I had buried for so long it had become a vestige of a memory – and now it was renewed.  I felt the swell of my breasts, and the smoothness of my legs beneath my kilt.  I couldn’t help it… I giggled, and my heart was filled with joy.

I was whole.  I was me.  I could be who and what I wanted, when I wanted.  My heart felt filled with a power I couldn’t describe – like the last roadblock keeping my from my true destiny had fallen away.

 

                I was Geoffrey, and I was Cassandra – and it didn’t matter which I was – because I was both and neither.  Nothing was going to stop me from saving my kingdom – Queen Hemlock be damned.  I was whole.

 

                “Hello, Cassandra.”  I said to myself, reveling in the sound of my female voice.  “It’s nice to finally meet you.”

 

                The image in the mirror couldn’t help but smile back.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

                After a few more moments of staring at myself, I pulled my gaze away and pondered what to do next.  Obviously, I would need to tell Samuel… he was in charge of my wardrobe, and this belt was going to feature in every outfit unless something else could be arranged.  Plus, I would need clothes for myself as both Geoffrey and Cassandra – which would be his responsibility as well.  I would need to tell Rachel, obviously – and Morag would probably want to see the other me as well.  Tika and Alyssa and Eacharn would undoubtedly find out – as would Fionn upon our return to Callenden…

 

                I paused, and realized I was planning my ‘coming out’ – not as just Cassandra, but as Geoffrey and Cassandra, a gender fluid King.  There were so many ways this could end in disaster, but I knew in my heart I could trust my friends.  Everything would be okay…  I would be okay. 

 

                The only consideration I needed to worry about was would the people of Callenden and Erevale be okay with their new king being gender fluid – a man sometimes, and a woman others?  In Earth’s history, that didn’t go so well – but here, maybe here it could work.  After all, magic worked here – obviously – and their gods didn’t have a hangup on gender roles like the monotheistic faiths on Earth seemed to. 

 

                Fuck it.  I’m the King.  Or Queen… Or whatever.  I have a right to be happy.  I’m going to do this, I decided.

 

                I pulled the sash that summoned Samuel and other servants, and in less than a minute, Samuel entered the room – to stand gawping in surprise at me.

 

                “Milord?”

 

                “Aye, Samuel.  It is I, Castiel.  I suppose you have questions.”

 

                “Aye, I do your Majesty.  Is this a… a permanent change?”

 

                “No.  It is going to be who I am sometimes, while the rest of the time I shall be the male Castiel you know.  The transformation comes from this enchanted belt I wear.”

 

                “It is indeed an enchantment, my Lord, or do you prefer my Lady?”

 

                “When I present as female, I would like you to use Milady, Samuel, and my name will be Cassandra.  When I present as male, I will be Milord, and you may call me Geoffrey or Castiel.”  I smiled at my statement… it felt right.

 

                Samuel looked like he understood, and nodded.  “I take it you will be requiring a new wardrobe, for Milady Cassandra, as well as one for Milord Geoffrey?”

 

                “Aye, and I would like them to be suitable to wear with this belt or girdle.”

 

                “I can do that, your Majesty.  It would be both a challenge, and my honor.  May I ask why, Milady?”

 

                I sighed.  “To be honest, Samuel,”  I said, sitting down, smoothing my kilt under me.  “I felt Twin Souled when I was young – and something happened to scare me so badly I ran away from it.  I recently rediscovered I was Twin souled – but by then I was also Geoffrey, and used to being a man.  I feel like I am both man and woman, neither fully one nor the other – and when the opportunity came that I could spend time as one or the other, I took it.  Perhaps I am more like the Twins than I knew.”

 

                Samuel nodded.  “It makes a sort of sense, Milady.  A Vigilant of the Twins, being both male and female, has a certain power to it, and a certain rightness to it, if you understand what I’m saying.  I think if you are a good ruler, the people will not care if you are a man, a woman, or a ferret, as long as you lead them well and do not beggar them or waste their lives needlessly.”

 

                “Thank you, Samuel.”

 

                “ ‘T is but the truth, your Majesty.  Does the enchantment remain if the belt is removed?”

 

                “I honestly don’t know.  I guess we had better find out.”  I replied, and unbuckled the belt – only to find that the aura of strength and protection left me – but my female form remained.  “Interesting.  It would seem that the belt is needed only to instigate the change, not to maintain it.”

 

                “That is very good to know, your Majesty.  It widens your choice of garments significantly – but I suggest you put it back on for now.  Sometimes enchantments have been known to linger a while then spontaneously end suddenly when not maintained.  It wouldn’t do to trust the enchantment is permanent, without some more experimentation.”

 

                “Aye.  Totally understandable, Samuel.  Thank you for your advice.”

 

                “I live to serve, Milady.”

 

                I rebuckled the belt around my waist, and felt the magical strength and protection it imbued flow back into my limbs and torso.   I smiled.  “I think we’ll worry about the wardrobe changes when we get back to Callenden, Samuel, although if you could craft something that would look fetching in either form – a unisex outfit fit for a royal – I would appreciate it.”

 

                “I can do you one better, your Majesty, for a price.  In Port Coventry – the Madragan Outpost on the southern edge of Callenden’s lands – they sometimes bring in enchanted clothes from Valris and the Principalities of Madragoor.  One type of these enchanted clothes are garments that change upon your mental command into any outfit you would choose to wear, from peasant rags to the finest of noble silks, for a man, a woman, or anything you desire.  They repel stains, mend any tears, and fit any wearer, changing to suit their moods and whims.  They are very expensive – and a luxury that most nobles cannot afford – but I do believe that a set or two of these clothes might be within your treasury, or within Prince Michaels and Queen Hemlocks’ wardrobes.  If they are, I’m sure one or more of them could be repurposed to your needs.”

 

                I grinned widely.  “That is excellent news, Samuel.  Won’t it put you out of a job, though?”

 

                “I think not, Milady.”  He laughed.  “With all the world of clothing to pick from, and no knowledge of what is available, how will you decide?  Instead of taking my time in crafting the clothes for you to wear, I can spend my time describing the many fashions you could choose to wear with your magic garments, and advise you on the perfect outfit for any given occasion – you could literally never wear the same outfit twice, if you wished.  I feel I could still help you there – and besides, your wives, Queen Morag and Queen Rachel might still require garments, Milady.”

 

                “I guess so.  Thank you Samuel.”

 

                “’T is my pleasure.”  Samuel bowed, and took his leave, and I pondered his words. 

 

Magical clothing?  Wow.  I wasn’t surprised it would be expensive – it would literally be the last outfit you ever wore!  I shook my head.  “Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, Cassandra.” I muttered.  I didn’t know why I was surprised – after all I was basically wearing a magical piece of clothing right now, in the form of the belt. 

 

Rachel.  I needed to show Rachel!

 

My door suddenly opened, and I whirled to face it – as Rachel entered the room, and quietly shut the door.

 

“Cass?”  She asked, curiously.

 

“Cassandra, actually.”  I said, shyly.  “Morag found a magical belt that could let me change.”

 

“Oh my gods!  You look so different!” 

 

“I know, right?”

 

Rachel smiled.  “You can change back, too?”

 

“I believe so, Rachel.  I just hadn’t done it yet.”  I said.

 

“You look beautiful, Cassandra.” She replied, coming over to get a better look at me.  “You look good. Cute.”

 

“Thank you, Rachel.  It feels right – I feel right – being able to be me.”

 

She wrapped me in a hug – and it felt good, but odd, when our bosoms crushed against one another. 

 

“I understand completely, Cassandra.”

 

“I guess you would.”  I replied quietly, holding her tight.  “I thought I might be Cassandra for the journey back to Callenden, and then resume being Geoffrey for a while.”

 

“If it makes you happy, Cassie, I’m all for it.  I love you.”

 

“I love you too, Rachel.”  I said, tears falling from my eyes.  How on earth did I deserve two such wonderful women – Rachel and Morag - in my life?  I felt blessed.

 

                We stayed together, hugging, for a bit, and then pulled apart.  Rachel apparently had been tearing up too, because she dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief, and smiled.

 

                “At least your boobs aren’t bigger than mine.”  She joked.

 

                “They’re not?”  I asked, mocking myself, looking at what I had.  “You sure?”

 

                “Yes, I’m sure you hussy.”  She laughed.  “Will you be staying like that for dinner?”

 

                “Perhaps.  What do you think?”

 

                “It would definitely be a coming out.”  Rachel replied.  “It might be a good way to tell Eacharn, Alyssa, Tika and the others.  Get them used to it, you know?  I think it might be a good idea.”

 

                “Then it’s settled.”  I said.  “I guess Queen Cassandra is coming to dinner.”

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                “My friends, may I introduce to you my spouse to be, Queen Cassandra Fowler of Callenden.”  Rachel began. 

 

                I entered the small dining room, trying to not worry at the surprised gasps of my friends and allies.  “Hello.”  I said, unsure of what to say.

 

                “Cass?”  Tika asked.  “You look pretty!”

 

                “Thank you Tika.” I smiled.

 

                “Aye, you do.”  Alyssa remarked with a bit of snark.  “I see that Kings do not need to wait a year and a day, however.”

 

                “If I was staying like this forever, then, yes, Lady Seranel, I would – but I intend to spend my time as both Geoffrey and Cassandra, in whatever form suits my needs.  I remain the same friend you have grown to know, and trust – but today I show you another side of me that has too long remained hidden.”

 

                “It’s a surprise to me, Milady.”  Prince Eacharn replied.  “But if this is what makes you happy, then I support you.  I worry the people will be confused – but that is a problem we can face another day.”

 

                “Aye, and thank you Eacharn.”

 

                “I wasn’t sure you would embrace this so quickly.” Morag laughed.  “You are very pretty, my King.”

 

                I blushed at her words – and her smirk told me she saw it – saw it and filed it away for later, another weapon in her arsenal.

 

                “This is thanks to my Fiancee’s aid – for in Erevale’s treasury Morag has found me a relic of the past, borne by another Vigilant of the Twins, who spent their time as both a man and a woman – Caoimhe of Thornfall.  I guess it is in her footsteps I now tread, and I will do my best to honor her legacy while forging my own.”

 

                “Hear, Hear!”  Eacharn said, and the others all agreed.

 

                I was honestly a little surprised it was so easy – but I knew my friends would support me.  I guess the trick would be gaining the support of the people. 

 

                With smiling faces all around me, I grinned and joined my friends for dinner.  Tonight was for celebration, and saying farewells to Erevale for the time being – tomorrow would be for travel, and I was content to leave my worries for another day.  Rachel sat at my left, and Morag at my right, and my friends were arrayed around me.  Nothing could have been more perfect.  Together, we joined for dinner and spent the evening in discussion of the coming days.

 

 

24