Chapter 16 – Training Montage
814 8 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                I got back to our room later in the evening.  It was warm and muggy – a humid night that back home would have had me turning the air conditioner on.  Jeff was sleeping on his bed, wearing nothing but his boxer shorts, the thin cotton sheet he’d been covered with since tossed off in the warmth of the night.  I smiled a little sadly.  He was a goof, but he was my goof, at least until he decided to go home, or stay here with me. 

 

                I quietly slipped inside, and closed the door.  The room was dark, but the open window let in sufficient light from the three moons to see where my bed was, so I quietly got undressed and ready for bed.  Alyssa had told me I needed to brush my hair before bed, or it would be a rats nest by morning, and I did find the brush snagged on several snarls.  It kind of hurt, too, unlike when I had shorter hair.  I guess if that’s one of the costs of looking pretty, I’d pay it.

 

                My chin and face still felt smooth as silk – I giggled a bit at that.  That ointment of Hammy’s was amazing!  The night gown I was wearing was soft, and my legs felt silky smooth too – the feeling was rather erotic, and I idly wondered if it would be better, the same or worse feeling after the spell in fifty or so days.  Once I was done brushing my magically grown longer hair, I crawled into bed, and pulled a light sheet over me. 

 

Rest was a while in coming…  My mind whirled with the details of this evening – how to use and clean and reuse medieval moonday supplies… THAT was an eye opener.  Learning how laundry was done before washing machines was… interesting, I guess.  Changing babies diapers was a little different, but not totally alien.  All in all, it seemed a crash course in aspects of medieval female gender roles.  I wasn’t really bothered by it – if I was going to stay, I was going to need all of this knowledge, and more.   I wondered if Miera Candlow would still allow me to take some lessons, after the spell changed me, at least until I caught up with Alyssa’s knowledge?

 

Eventually, sleep took me.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                The crowing of a cockerel – a rooster – woke me the next morning.  I yawned, and glanced out the open window.  Some honeybees were buzzing at the flower box hanging from the windowsill, and the weather looked to be shaping up to be a lovely summer day.  I looked over to see Rachel snoozing in her new pajama.  Huh, I snorted.  I didn’t even hear her come in last night.

 

                I looked at my watch – today was Wednesday August 28th – or the 31st of Sunbright, in the local custom.  My week of vacation was half over, and if I was going to meet the deadline I’d claimed for my mom and dad, I’d have to be returning to the mountain cave by Saturday, which meant I’d have to leave Ender’s Hollow by Friday at the latest.  Jesus!  How had the time slipped away so quickly?  I felt like I hadn’t really been here in Mercia that long! 

 

                I thought about it a bit, and shook my head.  I wasn’t going back, at least not yet.  I still wanted to learn to be a Vigilant.  I wanted to stay until Rachel got her transformation.  I wanted to go to Callenden, and tell King Colin that his lover, my Grandmother, still loved him until her dying day.  I wasn’t ready to go back – which meant my car would get towed, and David and I would be listed as missing persons.  There would be a manhunt – and they might even find our campsite outside the cave with the portal – or not.  We’ll have simply vanished… and my mom and dad will be frantic.  They’ll think we’re dead.

 

                I hadn’t really thought it through until now… I was a fucking idiot.  Mom and dad were going to freak out and go through hell because of me, and unless I gave up this adventure and abandoned my best friend forever, I couldn’t make it better.  I could feel myself growing angry and upset with myself, and my nose started to run, god dammit. 

 

                I used the chamber pot and then got dressed, and I realized I needed to talk to someone who could help me decide what to do.  I gently reached over and shook Rachel’s shoulder.  She stirred a little, and rolled over.  Geez, I thought.  With that longer hair and the beard free face, and her ‘pretty’ features Rachel was looking more feminine that I expected.  Like before, I could almost see the woman she would become in a month or so.  I still would bet a gold she turns out really pretty.

 

                “Hey, you.”  Rachel said, yawning.  “Stare much?”

 

                “Sorry Rache, I guess I was distracted.  I’m sorry I woke you, but I really need to talk to you about going home or not.”

 

                Rachel’s eyes widened, and I could see her try and wake herself up.  She sat up, groaning a bit, and nodded, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.  “I needed to talk to you about that too, Jeff.”

 

                “Did you want to go first?”

 

                “Sure.  I think you need to think very carefully about whether or not to go back at all, nevermind at a later date.  If you go back to Earth and I don’t, there are going to be questions about where I am… the authorities might assume I’m dead and you killed me in the back forty.  If you tell them where we went, they might think you’re crazy like they did your Grandma Janet, and throw you in a mental hospital – or jail, depending.  We didn’t think this through very well at all, and now, unless I leave – before I get my transformation spell – you’re going to be in deep trouble if you go home.”

 

                “Oh, fuck!  I hadn’t considered all of that either.  What am I going to do?”  I was totally screwed.   My choices were go home – and risk jail or being committed to an asylum – or being shot by Rachel’s dad and his friends, or staying here forever, and possibly ruining my mom and dad’s life with grief and sorrow.  I was damned if I did, and damned if I didn’t.  “Fuck me.  I’m screwed.”

 

                I could feel Rachel putting her hand on my shoulder.  “I’m sorry, Jeff.  I didn’t realize it until yesterday either.”

 

                I looked up at Rachel, and she had a sad, guilty look on her face.  “Hey, Rache.  It’s not your fault.  I should have thought of this sooner myself.  I mean, we both should have seen it coming.  It’s my fault as much as anyone elses.”

 

                “Yeah, but I feel bad that I wanted you to stay.  Just not like this.”  She said sadly.

 

                “I understand.”  I sat quietly, and took her hand in mine, and gave it a squeeze.  “We’ll figure it out.  To be honest, I wasn’t really ready to go back anyway.  I want to finish my training and I want to go to Callenden and see my grandpa, King Colin.  Oh – and there’s no way in hell I’m leaving before I see you get turned into a woman and see your real self, dudette.”

 

                “Thank you.”  Rachel replied, a tear running down her cheek.  “That means a lot to me.”

 

                “Duh!  Besties don’t ditch on each other.  I’m here at least till then – and maybe by then I’ll have figured out what to do about home – or will have decided to stay. I don’t know what the future is going to bring, but I sure know we left a huge fustercluck behind us.  Dammit.”

 

                “If it’s any help, I could write a note and tell my folks I was trans and ran off to San Francisco or something?  It might take the heat off you.”

 

                “Thanks, Rachel, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves.  It’s going to be at least two earth months before I go back to Earth, at the earliest.  We don’t have to make any plans now, or even soon.  I’ll be fine.”

 

                “You sure?”

 

                “Yeah,” I replied, smiling.  “I’m sure.  I just wish there was a way to let my mom and dad know I’m okay and didn’t die or something – but knowing dad, he’d get all mental and think I’m crazy.  There’s no real answer to this, I guess.”

 

                Rachel just sat quietly, while I brooded.  A few moments later, though, she punched me lightly in the arm.  “C’mon, doofus.”

 

                “What was that for?”  I asked, looking at Rachel’s face.  She had a funny look on it… one I couldn’t identify.  Our faces were close together – and hers seemed flushed. 

 

                She stared at me a bit longer… and I stared at her.  I didn’t really understand what was passing between us – but as soon as I recognized something was happening, it ended.  She sighed, and punched me lightly again.  “To knock you out of your mood.  You’re right.  We can’t change what happened, or what will happen – so we might as well try to have a good day, right?”

 

                “Yeah, you’re right.”  For some reason, I felt the mood had drastically changed, and something had transpired, or almost transpired in that moment.   I felt confused.

 

                “Um, Jeffrey.  Would you mind giving me some privacy to get dressed?”  Rachel asked.

 

                “Oh, yeah.  Sorry Rachel.  I guess with you transitioning it kind of feels weird us being in the same room.  I’ll head downstairs and meet you in the common room.”

 

                “Thanks, Jeff.  See you in a few minutes.”

 

                I got up, and headed downstairs, still confused.  What happened back there?

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

 

                Downstairs, the common  room was not very busy.  Natalia and Kaylee were doing chores, and I could hear Gideon bantering with his girlfriend Gudrun in the kitchen.  Unther was probably out in the stables.  I waved to the two ladies, and went to sit down at a table.  Two other locals I didn’t know were having a sizeable breakfast, and Sir Fionn had yet to make an appearance.

 

                I held off from ordering until Rachel came down – but before she could, Sir Fionn arrived first.  He was wearing a gambeson and chainmail over his clothes, and had a sword strapped to his waist, and a shield carried in his left hand.  

 

                “Good morning, Geoffrey.  How do you feel?”  Fionn asked.

 

                “Sore, and achy all over, but otherwise pretty good, Fionn.  I take it from your garb we’ll be doing weapons training today?”

 

                “Aye, and for a few days, I suspect.  I need to see what talent you hold, if any, and then need to see where your skills may need shoring up.  Have you ever wielded a blade, Geoffrey?”

 

                “Not in battle, but I might have a trick or two to show you later.  I don’t have any armor my size – just a too tight gambeson.  I’ll need to fix that.”

 

                “Aye, but not necessarily today.  I can help you pick out a good set of armor, and from the work I’ve seen coming out of Dwali Onver’s smithy, I think it will be a high enough quality that neither of us will have any complaints.  You’ll probably need a shield and a spear, to go with the sword you carry.”

 

                “Yeah, I guess I will.  This was my grandmother’s sword.  She was an adventurer.”

 

                “Aye, I’ve heard some of the stories, lad.  You grandmother and Prince Colin tore up and down half this countryside in their day, righting wrongs and getting into trouble.  Everyone thought they would be married one day – but that day never came.”

 

                “What happened?  Why did Prince Colin not meet my Grandma to marry her?  Her journal said she was left waiting at the altar, and he never came.”

 

                “I don’t know, lad.  Perhaps that question would be better answered by speaking to the man himself?  I think he would like to see you, before he passes.”

 

                “I feel the same way.  I intend to go to Callenden as soon as I can – maybe after church day, coming up.  Rachel has to ask Seoni for permission, first, I think.”

 

                “Ah.  I understand.  You should know I won’t be done training you by the end of the week.”

 

                “Then will you travel with me, and teach me on the road to Callenden?  I don’t want to arrive too late, and miss the only chance I have to meet my grandfather.”

 

                Fionn thought a moment, and nodded.  “Aye, if needed, I can follow you to Callenden.  I have no pressing business here in Enders Hollow besides you anyway.”

 

                “Okay.  Then I guess that’s settled for now.  What do we do about training, and armor?”

 

                “I’ll see what I have to work with after breakfast, and then once I know where your skills are at, I’ll take you to the smithy and show you what to look for in a good suit of armor or a good weapon.  You’ll be paying for the gear you want – I don’t have the coin to pay for that – but I’ll teach you how to wear it, fight with it, and care for it.  After that, we’ll probably spend several days on weapon skills and training, and if you’re able to keep up, I’ll soon be able to teach you some of the more esoteric Vigilant abilities.”

 

                “That sounds great!”

 

                “Good morning, Gentlemen!”  Rachel’s voice called out, as she came over to join us.  She was wearing some of the fancy clothes from Ser Eldermoon’s shop and they made her look pretty and feminine as they usually did.  I couldn’t help but notice her hair was even longer today – down to her shoulder blades of her back. 

 

                I stood, as did Fionn, and we welcomed her.  “Hey, Rachel!  Come and join us!”

 

                “I shall.”  She said, taking a chair and sitting.  “What have you two been talking about?  Training?”

 

                “Yes, mostly.” Fionn answered. 

 

                “Cool.  I have training myself today…  I suspect Cheerit is going to try and get me to see what my Threshold might be – or if she isn’t yet, the day will be soon.  I still can’t believe I can do magic now!”

 

                “Congratulations, Serra Wilson!”  Fionn replied.  “I understand that magic is easy to learn a little bit, but exceedingly hard to master.  I wish you well on your path.”

 

                “Thank you, Fionn.”  She laughed. 

 

                “What kind of spells can you do so far, Rache?”  I asked.

 

                “Simple telekinesis stuff, mostly.  I haven’t taken it too far, because I didn’t want to push too hard, too fast and get sick.  I expect I’ll be ramping things up gradually until I get to a point where I have to dial it back a bit to be safe.”

 

                “That makes sense.  I’m going to be training with weapons until Sir Fionn is satisfied I know which end of the sword to hold, and which end I point at other people.”

 

                “Aye – and it takes a surprisingly long time with some students.” Sir Fionn laughed.  “I don’t think Geoffrey will be my best – or my worst – student.  We shall see.”

 

                “Great!  Why don’t we order breakfast then, and we can get on with the day?”  Rachel suggested.

 

                We all nodded, and made our orders.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                Fionn waited for me to get into position.  We had spent a few minutes limbering up, and some of the townsfolk had come to watch the unexpected entertainment.  Fionn and I were on the village green – a small grassy field near the town hall and the local message boards, about two blocks from mayor Eanwald Rurin’s home.   The green was surrounded by a split rail fence, which neatly framed a rather largish ersatz combat training area. 

               

                I was wielding my grandmothers’ sword, and wearing some stout jeans and hiking boots, and a Call of Duty T-shirt with my gambeson on top, along with my metal arm guards.  I got into what felt like a good defensive position, and raised my blade.

 

                “Not bad form, Geoffrey.  I’m pleasantly surprised.  I’m going to advance on you, and test your defences – be wary.”  With that, Fionn advanced as he said he would, and drew his longer sword with a smooth motion born of long practice.  He stayed out of my reach – and tested my defences – first from the front, and then from the sides.  I think I held my own, but I could also tell Sir Fionn wasn’t trying very hard. 

 

                “Enough.  Try advancing on me, Geoffrey – press the attack, if you can.”  

 

                I nodded, and stepped forward, lunging towards him.  He stepped back, leaving me short – and I nearly caught a return swing of his blade on the shoulder, but I rolled away and beneath it, and came to my feet behind him.  I attacked – a low cut to his legs, but his blade interposed itself before I could strike – and he danced away, somehow impossibly agile in the heavy armor he was wearing.

 

                “You are going to have to teach me that trick.”  I grunted, as I advanced on Sir Fionn again.

 

                “No trick, Geoffrey – just practice and training.” Fionn answered. 

 

                We sparred for several more minutes, and I soon realized I was at a disadvantage wielding the blade I was against his longer blade.  The few extra inches of reach made a substantial difference!  Fionn must have seen enough, because he raised his hand, and called a halt to our training.         

 

                “Good.  Good.  You aren’t completely hopeless.  This may be easier than I thought.”  Fionn stared at me a moment, thinking.  “How are you this skilled, if you have never wielded a blade before?  Is this normal, for your… home?” He asked, mindful of the many watchers that were observing us.

 

                “No.  Perhaps we should talk privately and I will explain.  Now that you mention it, I might be able to make the training process a little easier on us both.”

 

                Fionn, intrigued, nodded and we headed from the village green to a small stone bench nearby, leaving several gawkers behind to disperse on their own.  “What do you mean, you can make the process easier?”

 

                “The means with which Rachel and I came to Mercia was a pair of magical tokens.  I believe they list our attributes, and if we learn from our experiences, we get things called ‘skill picks’ or ‘edges.’  I had some skill picks unspent, but right before coming to Mercia I spent some on strength, stamina, and agility – and went from average, to whatever I am now in but an instant.  I also gave myself a measure of skill at fighting and shooting.”

 

                Fionn looked a little dubious, but nodded for me to continue.  “When I accepted being a Vigilant from the Twins, the next time I looked at my attributes, one of the edges had been spent for me, saying I had a Vigilant background, and I had a new skill I didn’t have before, called Faith.  It was weak – but it was there.  I think when I learn things naturally, I spend these edges and skill picks unconsciously – but I have the choice of spending them consciously if I use the magic token.”

 

                “So you can spend these ‘picks’ and become a skilled warrior in a few minutes.  I do not know if I would trust such a magical item… What if it was taken from you?”

 

                “My grandmother said it would only work for the person to whom it has bonded, and that it can’t be stolen – only given away.”

 

                “I would like to see if this magic is real, Geoffrey.  Do you have any skills or edges left to spend?”

 

                I took a quick look at my HUD and saw I had 1 edge or stat, and 1 skill pick left to spend.  Oh – hey!  I thought to myself… There’s a new function!  I can exchange an edge or stat pick for two skill picks!  That’s kind of cool, actually! “I have one edge and one skill to spend.  The menu to select what to purchase is pretty long.  Do you have any suggestions?”

 

                “Yes.  I suggest you put the coin on the ground between us, when we spar next – and see if your magically granted skill and strength goes away.  If it does not, that is a good thing.  Then, we should see what happens when I take the coin from you, without you giving it to me.  If I retain it, we need to know if that will create a weakness for you.”

 

                “That makes sense.  Did you want me to spend some skills?”

 

                “Let’s leave that for later.  Back to the green.  I need to see if taking this coin steals your power, or worse, grants your power to me.”

 

                Once again, we sparred – this time with me wearing my Adventure token in plain sight.  Once, Fionn knocked me down and pulled it off my neck – and I leapt up and kept up the attack… It didn’t seem to hinder me at all, neither with my strength and agility, nor with my moderate weapon skills.  The only thing I couldn’t do is access my HUD, or understand him when he spoke... which was a pretty serious weakness.  I didn’t lose anything else, though – except perhaps my way home.

 

                Fionn handed me the necklace back, and the moment it touched my hand, it was like a light went on and I could understand him again.  I motioned for him to pause as I put the necklace back on, and hid it beneath my clothes.  “Fionn, a moment.”  I began.  “I didn’t lose any skills or talents, but I did lose one thing…  When the amulet was in your grasp, I became unable to understand your language.  When I got it back, I could understand you perfectly.”

 

                “Well, then the weakness I suspected is not the weakness we have found.  I didn’t seem to gain any of the traits you had mentioned when holding the token – so I suspect it helps you instantly train things you could have already learned naturally.  A powerful item indeed!  And a translation amulet as well.  Translation amulets are very expensive, Geoffrey – but they can help you learn a language inherently.  If you wear that amulet for about a month, you should be able to speak our tongue, even if it is taken from you – it teaches you subliminally, while you wear it.”

 

                “That’s amazing!  That’s good to know.”

 

                “Do you think you could show me how this amulet changes your skills?” 

 

                “I could, but I can’t un-spend them, so I’d like to pick carefully.  A task for tomorrow?”

 

                “Aye.  Let’s do some normal training, and then I’ll take you to the armorer and we’ll outfit you with decent armor that fits.”

 

                “Sounds good to me.”

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                “Gaaah!”  I cried out in frustration, as a half dozen acorns fell from the sky – again – pelting me – again.  I had been working on controlling the acorns with my magic, moving them from teacup to teacup, then to make them fly about in a cloud – and then to working with a half dozen at once – and I think it was at that point I met my match.  If I tried to go beyond 6 stupid acorns, the whole pattern fell apart and I couldn’t maintain the spell.  Darn it!

 

                “Calm, Rachel.”  Cheerit said softly.  “Getting frustrated will make things worse.”

 

                “I know, but I AM frustrated.  I can see how to move the acorns, but its like my mental fingers or hands or whatever get clumsy and drop them all when I get too many.”

 

                “Rachel, that just means your innate talent exceeds your current ability.  Trust me, with practice, your skill will grow into your full talent, and you will find less frustration.  It is only your second day doing magic, after all, is it not?”

 

                “Yeah.” I sighed.  “I guess I just want to be able to do more, faster.”

 

                “And that is why you MUST resist that temptation, Rachel.”  Cheerit replied.  “If you do not, you will exceed your threshold – possibly by a great deal – and may even eventually become a serpent man, a Fallen.  Please, take your time, and learn your capabilities at a rate that you control – not one that controls you.”

 

                I sighed, realizing Cheerit was right.  I was rushing too quickly.  “Could I try something else then, for a little while, Cheerit?  Like maybe lifting something heavier than an acorn?  Just to see how much I can lift?”

 

                Cheerit thought a moment, and nodded.  “Perhaps it’s not a bad idea.  Let me quickly supervise Tika and Alyssa, and I will come back with some things for you to try and move.”

 

                Cheerit ran off to check on her other pupils, and I sat there, trying to get myself un-flustered and ready to try something different.  She came back a few minutes later after coaching the other girls.  Alyssa was trying to make a blast of sound that would shatter an old mug, and Tika was making the climbing vines of yesterday grapple and squeeze a few helpless stuffed animals.  I wondered what else I could do with Forces?

 

                “Now, I have a new project for you Rachel – but I’d like you to be very careful as you try it, alright?’

 

                “Okay.  What do I need to do?”

 

                “Do you see that rock over there – the one about half my size?”

 

                “Yes.”  It looked like it was close to 18 inches on a side – so maybe 400 to 600 pounds?  I knew rocks were deceptively heavy for their size.  Did she think I could move that?  It was a hell of a lot larger than a spoon or an acorn!

 

                “I’d like you to shift it a little – enough to either roll it over onto its side, or flip it upside down.  Lifting it may be too much for you at the moment.  When you’re done, tell me how you feel, and do the meditation to check for the Call of Hrask.”

 

                “Okay.”  I felt a bit worried – I didn’t want to be affected by the Call of Hrask, for sure – but it seemed like it might be a possibility.  “Let’s do this.”  I concentrated on moving the boulder, trying to lift one end up, rather than lifting the entire thing – and drew upon my power.  The boulder shifted, and the left end started to lift up!  Holy Crap!  My surprise caused my focus to waver, and I nearly dropped the rock – but I caught it, and flipped it over.  It was heavy, but not too heavy… I think I could have lifted it off the ground if I had tried! 

 

                As the spell ended, and I let my concentration lapse, I felt a strange enervation wash over me – like a wave of unexpected fatigue.  It was mild – not incapacitating by any means – but I felt if I used a lot more magic, it might become so.

 

                “Good!  Good!  Rachel, well done!  Did you feel any fatigue?  Any strain?”

 

                “Yes, I did.  It wasn’t much, but it was there.  I’m not even winded – but I can feel it.”

 

                “That is the proper feeling to have.  The more spellcasting you do in a short time, the stronger that fatigue feeling will grow.  If you ever have to push farther than feels comfortable, into the realm of pain, you could seriously hurt yourself, or even die.  Knowing how much fatigue you can bear is critical in knowing one aspect of your Threshold.  Now, take a moment and do the meditation.”

 

                I took a moment, and did my meditation, and a few moments later, I was done.  “I’m fine, Cheerit – no problems at all,”

 

                “Good!  Now lift the boulder – and see if you can hold it in the air for 30 seconds at about the height of your head while standing up.”  Cheerit looked impressed, and motioned for me to continue.

 

                I concentrated again, and felt the draw on my power – odd that that didn’t happen when I was handling acorns?  Maybe it had to be so heavy before it ‘counted?’  I focused on the rock, and suddenly, it shifted, and lifted into the air.  I held it up to about my eye level.  It felt heavy to my mental hands, but not so heavy it hurt…  I could never have lifted that stone with my muscles in a hundred years! 

 

                As the seconds counted down, Cheerit counted out loud.  “It’s been about 20 seconds… is the rock feeling heavier?”

 

                “Nope.”

 

                “Then let’s keep going.”

 

                At about 40 seconds, though, I was starting to flag – the rock was becoming quite heavy – and I wasn’t sure how long I could hold it.  “I’m reaching my limit Cheerit.”  I warned – and then suddenly, my strength gave out, and the spell ended.  The rock dropped, and landed with a thud. 

 

                “I think I could have held it longer, if I had put more energy into it, Cheerit.”

 

                “Yes, but we’re taking small steps today.  You did well, Rachel.  You have a strong spirit, which will help you as you develop your skills.  Now, how is the fatigue?”

 

                “Incrementally stronger, but not too bad.  I feel like I could do that a half dozen more times before being really tired.”

 

                “Good…  Now please do your meditation again.”  Cheerit did look pleased!  She was smiling, and her tail was twitching, and she definitely looked interested.

 

                I did the meditation, and once again, I felt fine.   “I still feel fine with the Call of Hrask, Cheerit.”

 

                “Wonderful.  Now do that again – we’ll practice this until you near the end of your strength.”

 

                “Won’t that risk the Call of Hrask?”  I asked.              

 

                “Yes – and knowing your limits, and how many spells you can safely cast, is an important part of training.”

 

                I gulped.  “Okay.”  I moved my hands to point at the rock – somehow doing that made it feel easier, like pointing at it made the rock lighter.  Heh… I guess I know why wizards use strange hand signs when casting now.  Derp.  I cast the spell again – and then again, and again.  I cast it six more times, each time lasting about 45 seconds, before Cheerit called a halt to my practice.  She let me take a moment to do my meditation – I was still fine.

 

                “How do you feel, Rachel?”

               

                “I feel winded – on the edge of being fatigued.  I feel a bit shaky, but like I could keep going.  No worries on the Call of Hrask yet, either.”

 

                Cheerit thought a moment, looking pensive.  “If you’re willing, I think we should try a bit more.”

 

                I nodded – and noticed Alyssa and Tika had either finished or ditched their lessons, and were watching Cheerit and I.  Tika gave me a ‘thumbs up’ symbol.  I guess that has the same meaning as back on Earth?  I laughed.

 

                “Thanks, Tika!”

 

                “You can do it!  I know you can!”  Tika called out.

 

                “Good luck, Rachel!”  Alyssa joined in. 

 

                I smiled at my new friends support.  “Thanks, girls.”  I turned to Cheerit.  “I’m ready.”

 

                “Fine.  Lift it again.  This might hurt.”

 

                I nodded, and gritted my teeth.  Once more, I reached out with my hand, pointing at the rock, and reached out with my mind – my mental hands, if you will – and grasped the rock.  It seemed heavier now than before – but I realized that was only because I was tired.  The rock shifted, and rose into the air – but this time it was almost too much!  The drain on my power felt even worse than before – like my muscles were burning, and I was short of breath.  I felt like I had just run a marathon, but I concentrated, and kept the rock in the air…  It felt like the longest 45 seconds of my life, and then the spell ended, and the rock dropped.

 

                I gasped from the fatigue, and felt Alyssa steady me on my feet. 

 

“Hold on.  I’ve got you.”  She said.

 

                “Thanks,” I replied, rather shakily.  “I feel exhausted.”

 

                “Indeed.  Your stamina for spellcasting is quite good, Rachel.  You managed nine castings in a row before feeling the full effects of the fatigue.  That is excellent for a beginner, and not bad for a professional.  You should be proud.  Now meditate!”

 

                “Yes, Serra.”  I sat down and meditated – and although I was tired, I didn’t feel the Call of Hrask.

 

                “I’m confused, Cheerit.  I feel exhausted – ready to pass out, almost – and I still don’t feel the Call of Hrask.”

 

                “That is a bit odd, Rachel – but it could also be because you have yet to exceed your strength, as opposed to your magical stamina, which is excellent, by the way.  Later this afternoon, if you feel ready, I will have a harder task for you to try – and it will probably give you a mild case of the Call – and it may fatigue you as well.”

 

                “Alright.  What do I do now?”

 

                “Rest, and chat with your friends.  We’ll call a short break.  I’ll go brew myself a cup of tea, and then join you again.”

 

                “Thank you, Cheerit!”  we replied.

 

                “Was it hard?”  Tika asked me.

 

                “Yeah, it was.  It was like I had just run ten or twenty miles.”

 

                “Just be careful…”  Alyssa replied.  “You can actually cause yourself to pass out, or even die, by exerting yourself too much.  Like a horse that runs so far, his heart explodes.”

 

                “I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

                We chatted, and gossiped about our lessons for a while.  Tika had grappled the stuffies into oblivion, and Alyssa had shattered the mug into several pieces, then repeatedly turned the pieces into clay gravel.  After about 15 minutes, Cheerit came back, and put the other girls back to work, while I was told to rest. 

 

                About an hour later, I was feeling much better, and Tika and Alyssa looked rather tired – and no wonder!  They had been casting spells and doing some complicated maneuvers for the greater part of an hour, while I’d been sitting on my butt!  Cheerit called a halt to practice, and the girls all clustered around.

 

                “Alyssa, Tika, I think you’ve done as much today as you can.  I’m going to have Rachel cast one more spell, and then I think we’ll be done for the day… Rachel, you should know, this may not feel the nicest…”

 

                “Yes, Serra, I understand.”  I replied, nervously.  “I’m willing to try, though.”

 

                “Good.  Do you see that larger boulder over there by the fence – the one about twice my size?” 

 

                “Yes.  It looks pretty big… you didn’t want me to lift that, did you?”  The boulder in question was about 36 inches on a side – or about 27 cubic feet.  It probably weighed close to two tons.

 

                “No – just roll it over onto its side.  It’s too large to life, I suspect, and it may seriously hurt you if you try.”

 

                I gulped, a bit intimidated by the large boulder.  “Here goes nothing…”  I said, and aimed both my hands at the huge rock.  I drew upon my power – but the portion I drew that moved the smaller rock didn’t pack enough oomph, so I drew more – and then more…  The power surged through me, and I felt the rock shift… one end lifted up, and then it flipped. 

 

As soon as the rock dropped, I dropped the spell, but the fatigue wave that hit me was incredibly intense – with the lesser spells, I had managed nine of them before I felt like I was going to pass out… this time, it was one and done.  I slumped to my knees, feeling the familiar pain of my headaches and a wetness on my face that I had to assume was a nosebleed.  Hello, old friends, I hysterically laughed to myself. 

 

                “Are you okay, Rachel?”  Alyssa asked, followed by Tika and Cheerit.

 

                “Yeah… I’ve got a killer headache, and I’ve got a nosebleed like when I was using my power from before.  I’m used to it.  What’s your fucking problem?”

 

                “Well, Serra, you had better get un-used to it as soon as possible!”  Cheerit said sternly.  “You’ve been Kissed by the Void – you took a little more power than I think you needed, and it burned you.  Are you feeling all right otherwise?”

 

                “Yeah, I’m fine.”

 

                “Do your meditation, please.”  Cheerit replied, while Alyssa and Tika looked a little shocked and concerned.

 

                I sighed, more annoyed than anything.  Like this stupid squirrel knows what I’m feeling!  I’ve done this like a hundred times back home – I fucking think I know what I’m capable of, seriously.  I settled down and did the stupid meditation, found my treasures – and this time, I realized they were all watching me…  Did they want them for themselves?  I felt betrayed – I thought Alyssa and Tika were my friends.  I huddled down over my treasures, and caressed them.  They were mine – no one elses!   She was probably just trying to trick me!

 

                “I’m fine.”  I said.

 

                “And I don’t believe you, Rachel.  Would you lie to your friends?”  Cheerit replied.

 

                “They aren’t my friends… They’re trying to take what is mine… My treasures.  My Man.”

 

                “Listen to yourself, Rachel… Listen!”  Cheerit demanded.  “Are these your words – or are your words being twisted from within?  You have been affected by the Call of Hrask.  Training today is over.”

 

                I paused…  I didn’t feel affected?  Did I?  I could see Alyssa’s strained expression, and Tika’s face looking sad.  I realized I’d hurt them both – and part of me said “Well if I did, it’s their fault” – but the greater part of me realized I’d said something hurtful.  “I’m sorry Alyssa, Tika.  I think I have been affected.  Those words were mine, but not.  I am sorry.”

 

                “I’ve been there too.”  Alyssa replied, reaching her hand out to touch mine.

 

                “Me too.”  Tika said quietly.  “It’s not fun, but we’re still your friends, right?”

 

                “Yes, of course we are.  Those words weren’t me – I’m so sorry if I upset you both.”

 

                “It’s okay… this time.”  Alyssa replied.  “But try to remember that the Call can sneak up on you.  You have to monitor what you say and do, and judge if it is different from what you normally think and feel – and if you cannot, you may get even sicker.  It is a skill we all learn, but the first lesson is always the hardest.”

 

                “Indeed, Rachel.”  Cheerit said.  “You did well today, but now you need rest.  Go do something fun with your friends, or take a rest, as you choose.  There are no more lessons until tomorrow.”

 

                “Will the effects of the Call of Hrask be gone by tomorrow?”

 

                “Oh, dear no!  It usually takes four or five days to recover – but if your spells are not powerful and you don’t overtax yourself, you can still do your lessons without risking making the Call worse.  It should be fine.”

 

                “Thank goodness!”  I said, relieved.  I wasn’t keen on sitting out on five days of lessons!  “I’ll see you later then.”

 

                “Hey!  Wanna come with me?”  Tika asked.  “Kirsten said she was going to go looking for frogs down by the duck pond later this afternoon.  We were going to chase some boys with them.”

 

                “Not for me, I think.”  Alyssa replied. 

 

                “No – me neither, I think – at least this time, Tika.”

 

                “Okay!  I’ll see ya!”  Tika scampered off at a pace that was dizzying.

 

                “She is full of energy.”  I remarked.

 

                “Yes, and she was so calm today too.  You should see her when she’s hyper.”

 

                “Seriously, Alyssa?”

 

                “Oh, yes.  Seriously.”

 

                “What are you going to be doing?”

 

                “My mother asked me to be home early today to help take care of my sibs – she’s doing something with my dad tonight.  I think they’re going to the pub to have a few drinks, so I get to baby sit.”

 

                “Ah.  Well, the way I feel, I think I need a nap.  I’ll see you tomorrow?”  Part of me suspected Alyssa was lying – that she was trying to lull me into a sense of complacency so that she could steal my treasures… my man.  It took a fair bit of concentration to realize that was not my usual thinking.  It was mentally taxing not being extremely bitchy right now.  I definitely needed that nap.

 

                “Definitely.”

 

                We walked a while together, and then Alyssa parted ways and headed over to her home, while I went to the inn.  I hadn’t seen Jeffrey training anywhere, so I expected to find him in the common room relaxing – but he wasn’t there, nor in the bedroom either.  I shrugged, and figured he was busy, and lay down for a nap, my head still spinning.

 

 

37