Chapter 17 – Holy Days and Farewells
785 5 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                I sat in the Emerald Candle and sipped my honeyed light ale, thinking about how the afternoon had went.  Fionn had taken me to the armorer – Dwali Onver was a local smith, and a dwarf to boot.  Together, they had chosen a suit of armor that suited his build and fit comfortably, and outfitted him with an extra weapon – a sturdy spear.  The new armor was a masterfully made suit of chain mail that covered his torso, his arms down to his elbows, and his waist almost to his knees.  It was topped with a steel cap helm, and his grandmothers fancy arm-guards or bracers.  Underneath he had a new, well-fitting gambeson, and on top he had a fancy surcoat to wear above the armor. 

 

                To be honest, I feel pretty badass right now.  I probably look like Aragorn from the Lord of the Rings movie…  I smiled at the thought, and pulled my attention back to this afternoon.  Fionn had tried to convince me that I needed a crossbow – but while I still had the ammunition, I was going to stick with my .357 Ruger Redhawk.  I could always get a crossbow when my ammunition ran out.  The armor wasn’t cheap, either – it cost me thirty gold knights, plus the cost of the spear, the helmet and all the other associate costs.  Still, Sir Fionn had a point.  ‘Your armor is what keeps you breathing,’ he said – ‘so it’s best not to skimp on the cost.’  I guess the old adage ‘you get what you pay for’ holds true here too.

 

                Still dealing with Fionn hadn’t been too bad – and afterwards, he had still had time to go see Ser Eldermoon and get some outfits made for myself as well, so that I didn’t continue to stick out like a sore thumb.  Those outfits had set me back yet another thirty plus Gold Knights – so my funds had taken a beating – but man, did I look the part of a medieval knight, or what.  I looked like a young Lord.  I can’t suppose I blame Ser Eldermoon for dressing me this way – the rumors have been going around town for days now.  And now at least a third of the town knows I’m training to be a Vigilant.  Life is weird, and nothing is faster than the speed of gossip. 

 

                I thought a moment, and realized that it was almost time for dinner – and I hadn’t seen hide nor hair of Alyssa, Tika or Rachel this afternoon, and usually the three of them were as thick as thieves, and back here hanging out when I’m done training.  I wonder what’s up with them today? 

 

I headed upstairs to strip off my armor, and get changed to more local clothes, but when I walked into our room, Rachel was there, sleeping, looking very wrung out.  Cursing myself for the noise I was making, I tried to shut the door quietly, and put my stuff down on the bed.  It turns out I wasn’t very quiet, because Rachel stirred.

 

“Hey, you.”  She said, looking a little distracted.

 

“Hey Rachel, sorry to wake you.  I thought you were out with Alyssa or Tika.”

 

“Yeah.  This afternoon didn’t go so great.  I cast a lot of spells, and accidentally got Kissed by the Void – which means getting a splitting headache and a nosebleed, along with a stern lecture to NOT do that again, and I also got hit with the Call of Hrask, so if I act a bit bitchy for the next few days, please cut me some slack… I’m literally not myself at the moment.”

 

“What happened?  You’re not going to turn are you?”

 

“No!  Apparently it takes more than one or two spells to do that – it takes a lot of excessive magic use and carelessness for that to happen.  This is just a light touch of it, so I know what it feels like.  Apparently every magic student goes through this a little bit.  Alyssa and Tika did, and they told me about it.  Now I get a firsthand experience.  Yuck.  Nice armor, by the way.”

 

“Wow.  Sounds nasty.  Thanks – Sir Fionn helped me pick it out.  Riveted Chainmail is considered pretty good armor in these parts, so I got the best set the Smith could set me up with.  Then Sir Fionn spent part of the afternoon teaching me how to care for, and clean my armor and weapons, and how to sharpen my weapons.  It was actually pretty cool.  Afterwards, I went to Ser Eldermoon’s shop and got some local outfits – and he went as overboard for me as he did for you.  The outfits look pretty damn cool, though.”

 

“Awesome.  What’s up now?”

 

“I was going to put my clothes away, and try to get my armor off, so I can relax for the evening.  Could you give me a hand?”

 

“Sure.” 

 

Rachel got up from her bed, and came over to help me get off the chainmail.  I probably could have done it myself – eventually – but it was a lot easier and faster with help. 

 

“Thanks, Rache.”

 

“No problem, Jeff.  You look handsome today.  Ser Eldermoon does good work.”

 

“Thanks.  He does.  I was going to go down to dinner… did you want to join me?”

 

“Sure thing, Sir Geoffrey.”

 

“I’m not a knight yet!”  I growled.

 

“Would you prefer Milord?”  Rachel asked impishly.  “Which is the lesser of two evils?”

 

I shook my head.  “You’ll be the death of me.”

 

“I hope not… I’m not done with you yet.”

 

I paused…  “What does that mean?”

 

“Whatever you think it means.”  Rachel replied, laughing.  “Come on, dinner awaits.”

 

We headed downstairs, Rachel’s arm held in mine, and we went to sit at what we were beginning to think of as ‘our’ booth.  The locals seemed to think it also, for none of the patrons had sat in it, and had left it for us, apparently.  Rachel sat, and then I did, shifting my sword so it was more comfortable. 

 

I turned to her, and sighed.  “I don’t think there’s any reasonable way I can go home, now or in the future, Rachel.  Either the cops will think I killed you and left your body in the back forty, or something like that, or they’ll think I’m insane – especially if I arrive with armor and weapons.  I might be able to go back in a few months, but I’d have to hide my identity – probably for the rest of my life.  So… I guess I’m staying here, in Mercia.  I just hope mom and dad understand one day.”

 

Rachel put her hand on Jeff’s.  “I’m sorry it’s because of me that you can’t go home.  I mean, I wanted you to stay, but not like this.”

 

“It’s no one’s fault, Rache – we both didn’t realize it at the time, and now it’s too late.  Sometimes, you don’t get a second chance and you have to play the hand you’re dealt.  All in all, it’s not too bad.  I mean, I like Mercia so far, and I’m sure I’ll do okay.  It’s not like I had anything planned back home except working a crappy job.  And considering the alternative is life in prison, being put on death row, or being put in a mental asylum, staying is by far the better option.”

 

“I still wish it hadn’t happened this way.”

 

“Me too, Rachel, but I’ll be okay.”  I smiled.  “Actually, having the question of going home answered for me takes a big weight off my shoulders.  I actually feel a bit better!  I guess now I can concentrate on what happens next, when I travel to Callenden to meet my grandfather.”

 

“I hope I don’t need to say I’m coming with you?”

 

“Duh.  Sir Fionn is coming too – he thinks I’ll still need some training by then, and I probably will.”

 

“Okay.  When did you plan on leaving?”  Rachel asked.

 

“Either the day after church, when you get your healing spell for the asthma, or the day after.  How has it been, so far?”

 

“I had a few scares with dust in some of the rooms, but for the most part it’s been okay.  I’ve used my daily puffer each day, and I’ve needed a support puffer once – but I haven’t had any major asthma attacks so far.  If this spell doesn’t work to heal me, I only have about two months of puffers left.”

 

“I’m sure it will work.”  I said, putting my hand on hers this time.  The little reassurance I could give her seemed to help.

 

We sat and talked about our day for a while, and eventually ordered dinner.  Evening passed into night, and night into day – and for the next several days, I trained with weapons – and some Vigilant powers, and Rachel trained with her spells – although on a low key – so as not to exacerbate her Call of Hrask.  By the end of the four days, I could sense the presence of evil – or so I thought.  There was very little evil in Ender’s Hollow to practice on, but a few people – notably Hasp Miller, of the local watermill, gave me a little something to sense…  although his ‘evil’ was more a strong sense of selfishness and entitlement.  By the end of the four days, Rachel could make a force field to protect her, and could huck small objects telekinetically very quickly - so much so they could do lethal damage.

 

Soon, the town was getting ready to celebrate the gods – their version of Sunday was tomorrow.  Apparently although some of the peoples of Mercia have names for the days of the week, the Ghaelish people of this region rarely have a need for such precise details, instead listing the days as numbers, and naming the weeks.  It was odd, but not the strangest thing I’d seen.   As we lay down to sleep that night, I prayed to God, and to Feana and Hathor too that Rachel’s asthma would be cured, and for mom and dad to be okay.  Although I’d made the decision days ago, it wasn’t until today I think I fully realized I was never going back…  Sleep was hard to come by that night.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                The next morning, I woke up again to the sound of distant thunder, and light rain.  Yay, rain!  I said to myself, and stretched.  Rachel was still snoozing in her bed, and I took a moment to crawl out of my bed and go do my business.  Sir Fionn had told me today was important – and I didn’t want to let him down by being late. 

 

                A few days ago, he had told me that he and I would be standing vigil over the church while the townsfolk prayed – and that duty was in fact where the name vigilant came from.  Apparently, in their ancient past, most if not all of the peoples of Mercia were slaves of the Hserinyar – the serpent men of Hserin, and followers of the dark god Hrask.  When the peoples would come together to pray, sacred warriors would stand vigil over them, so that they could pray in safety – in case the followers of Hrask, or other evils, came to attack the worshippers while they were praying.

 

                So, today, Sir Fionn and I would be standing in the rain as symbols, to show the people that we would be on guard while they prayed.  Sir Fionn said that after the service, we would be able to go inside, and receive a blessing from the priestess.  From the way he described it, the act of us being there would assure the faithful that they are safe – and it went a long way towards fostering the almost universal acceptance of Vigilants.  In fact, the only people who truly despised Vigilants, were probably up to no good, or so Fionn told me.

 

                I had to admit, I was nervous.  This was my first official act as a novice Vigilant and I didn’t want to screw it up.  I looked at my wristwatch – it said it was still 1am, despite the local time outside being closer to 8am – I guess the time difference in Mercian days versus Earth days was catching up on me.  It was Sunday September 1st – my birthday back home.  Happy Birthday to me, I guess.  It was also the day Rachel and I were supposed to be returning home… I guess the fecal matter will hit the fan soon enough, back on Earth.  Oh well.  I’ll miss video games and the internet, and mom and dad, but everything else was no big loss.

 

                I gently shook Rachel awake.  “Hey, sleepyhead.”

 

                “Hey Jeff.  Good morning.”

 

                “Good morning to you, too.  Time to get up and get ready for church.”

 

                “Yeah… I guess it’s your big day – first day as a Vigilant guard?  And hopefully, the gods will see fit to cure my asthma!  Happy twentieth birthday, by the way.”

 

                “Thanks for remembering, Rache.”

 

                “Like I’d forget.  Did you want to celebrate it today, or on Harvestide the 1st – which I guess is September 1st in these parts?”

 

                “Today’s going to be pretty busy.  Let’s play it by ear.”

 

                “Okay.”  She said, yawning.  By now her hair was very long – all the way to her mid back or a bit lower, and Alyssa and Tika had been showing her how to braid it…  She had an elaborate braid – I had no idea what to call it – going down her head, and I had to admit it looked very feminine – and occasionally out of place on Rachel’s male form. 

 

                “How’s the tea working for you?”  I asked.

 

                “I dunno.  I think it’s like hormones back home – you have to be on them for two to three Mercian months to see any major differences, and the full effects aren’t for a year or so.  By the time I actually see any physical effect, I’ll be getting the transformation spell.  It is helping my psychologically, though.  I think.”

 

                “Well, that’s good.  Does it still taste like crap, or does the flavor get better with time?”

 

                “It’s like really bitter tea.  It taste’s yucky and no, it doesn’t get better, but at least you can hide the flavor with honey or cream sometimes.”

 

                “That sucks.  They should really make “Flintstone’s Chewable Hormones” and have them taste nice or something.”

 

                Rachel sputtered at my joke, and laughed out loud – which made me smile.  “Dorkus!” she said, gasping between chuckles.

 

                “Yup!  Now would you like me to get dressed first, or you?”

 

                “You – I’ll go use the potty.  I’ll help you with your armor after I’m dressed.”

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

               

                Downstairs, at breakfast, they were met by Sir Fionn.  “Are you ready, Geoffrey?”

 

                “Yes, I think so.”

 

                “Good.  Good morning Serra Wilson.”  Sir Fionn remarked to Rachel.

 

                “Good morning to you, too, Sir Fionn.  Will you not get to join in the church service?”

 

                “There will be a small service for Geoffrey and I after the main service.  It will suffice.”

 

                “Oh.  Okay.”  Rachel replied, looking a bit confused.  She turned to Jeff, and smiled, holding something in a little box.  “Hey Jeff?  Happy Birthday.  I hope you like it.”

 

                “You got me a gift?”

 

                “Duh.  Are you going to open it, or not?”

 

                “Of course I am!  Thanks Rachel!”  I took the small cardboard box and opened it – and inside, on a fluff of cotton, was a silver chain with a pendant dangling from it… The pendant looked like a shield surmounted by a gauntleted fist…  It was a holy symbol of the Twins, Feana and Hathor!   I pulled it out, smiling.  The chain was nice and thick, so it didn’t look too girly, and the pendant was a decent size – just the thing for a novice but well to do Vigilant!

 

                “Thanks Rachel.  This is really thoughtful, and very appropriate.  I’ll wear it all the time.”  I got up, and gave Rachel a big hug to thank her.  Normally I wouldn’t hug another guy – but Rachel wasn’t exactly a guy anymore except in body, and I knew she would really like it.  I wasn’t sure I thought of her as a guy anymore either.  “You know, this is the first piece of jewelry anyone has ever given me.”  I said.

 

                “Good.” She said, smiling – like I’d just told her she won the lottery. 

 

                I put the necklace on – and let the Symbol of the Twins rest on my tabard.  Now I looked like a proper Vigilant!

 

                “You look good, Geoffrey.”  Sir Fionn told me.  “Are you ready to stand Vigil?”

 

                “I am.  I’m a bit nervous about screwing it up though.”  I admitted.

 

                Fionn laughed.  “As was I, when I was your age, lad.  As was I.  Have no fear – you will be comfortable with it soon enough.  Basically we greet the church goers and stand guard over them – basically guard duty.  It’s a bit boring for us – but it acts as a necessary symbol that we stand ready to protect the people.”

 

                I sighed.  “Well, thank goodness for that.  Boring I can handle.  Besides, knowing you, you’ll turn the situation into a teachable moment about faith and duty…”

 

                “Aye, I probably will, lad.”  Fionn laughed. 

 

                “Anymore problems with your asthma, Rachel?”

 

                “Not yet… I hope today is the last day I have to worry about that, frankly.”

 

                “Me too.”

 

                We tucked into breakfast, and readied ourselves for church.  I was wearing my full suit of armor, with my grandmother’s sword and my spear, while Sir Fionn had a much larger sword – one he could grip in either one hand or two, and a large shield emblazoned with the symbols of the Twins.  His armor – unlike mine – looked like it had carried him through a dozen campaigns, well worn and well trusted.  Mine looked shiny and new – probably a lot like me.  Wet behind the ears.  Hell, I guess everyone has a first day at work sometime!

 

                “You’ll have to excuse us, Serra Wilson.  We have our duties to attend to.” Sir Fionn said as he rose from his seat at the table.  “Geoffrey, say your farewells – we must be off.”

 

                “See you soon, Rache.”

 

                “See you soon too, Sir Geoffrey!”  Rachel said with a twinkle in her eye… and then paused to take a picture of Jeff in his armor with her cell phone. 

 

                “That still has charge in it?”  Jeff asked, surprised.

 

                “Yeah.  Unlike you, I didn’t drain mine taking pictures of town and stuff.”  She replied.  “Better get going, Jeff.  Sir Fionn is waiting.”

 

                “Bye.”  I rushed outside, to find Fionn waiting for me, and together we walked over towards the temple. 

 

                “It’s customary for Vigilants to arrive shortly before the service, and stay until after the service is finished – first to arrive, last to leave.”

 

                “That makes sense.”

 

                “It does.  But today We’re going to break with tradition a bit.  You’ve never been to a church service here on Mercia, have you?”

 

                “No, not yet.”  I said.

 

                “Well, you’ll miss a lot of it today, but near the end, when the priests offer their thanks to the gods and perform healings for the community, I won’t tell anyone if you slip inside to see your friend Rachel healed of her ‘asthma.’”

 

                “Thanks, Fionn.  That’s really nice of you.”

 

                “As long as one of us guards the door, it shouldn’t matter and protocol will be satisfied.  Besides, seeing a miracle might strengthen your faith, lad.  Most of us grow up in this faith, and see miracles every day – you come from some godforsaken place where miracles are a myth.  You need to have your eyes opened.”

 

                “To be fair, I’m not sure who forsook who, back on Earth, but you make a fair point, and I would like to see Rachel healed.  Thank you for that kindness, Fionn.”

 

                “You’re welcome.”  We walked together quietly the rest of the way – some of the locals waving to us as we went.  The priestess – Seoni – was waiting for us at the temple, and looked excited.

 

                “Oh my, oh my!  Sir Geoffrey, you look like a handsome knight!  I’m sure your friends are all very proud of you.”  Seoni gushed.  “And Sir Fionn, it’s a pleasure to have you here at our temple once again.”

 

                “It’s a pleasure to be back, Serra Haines.  It’s been a while.”

 

                “I think close to three years.”  Seoni replied.  “Have you been travelling?”

 

                “Aye – and training young pups like Sir Geoffrey, although he has more talent than most.  Some of the time has been good – but far too much of it has been bad, and I’ve seen things I am haunted with in the dark hours.  Still, today is Sir Geoffrey’s first day as a Vigilant – and I would like to know if he may have the place of honor.”

 

                “Of course, Sir Fionn.  I’ll leave it to you.”

 

                “Thank you, Serra.  Geoffrey, please stand to the right of the door – over there, and try to stand at a loose attention.  Too strict, and you’ll cut off the blood flow to your limbs and you’ll pass out.”  I did as he said, and he took the left side of the door. 

 

                “Why is the right side the place of honor?”  I asked, as Seoni went inside to ring the bell to summon the faithful.

 

                “It is the side where most wield their sword – the weapon is a symbol of action, a symbol that you mean to DO something.  A shield is necessary to weather the blows that will come against you – but a sword is needed for when you choose to get off your butt and make a difference.  Honor is found on the field of battle.  We are the weapons of the gods.”

 

                Wow, I thought.  That’s pretty heavy.  “Thanks, Sir Fionn.  I appreciate the honor.  I take it the honor usually goes to the most senior knight?”

 

                “Aye.  Happy Birthday, lad.”

 

                I smiled at Fionn’s gesture.  It was a really nice gesture too.  Together we waited, and soon the ringing bells summoned many of the townsfolk – while the bells at the church of the Grey Shepherd back in town summoned some others.  Fionn had told me earlier in the week that the Grey Shepherd was another name for the god Morian, one of the gods of Fate.  Apparently our church comprised  the gods of the Family – and although we might ally on occasion with Morian’s faithful, they were not the same church, and did not share the same creeds.

 

                People started to arrive – first a few, then more and more.  Sir Fionn and I greeted them kindly, and were greeted kindly in return – and I noticed several appraising glances from the young ladies in town.  It felt a bit strange, to be honest, but the attention was nice.  Several people stopped to congratulate me on being a new Vigilant, which was really nice, and it felt good to be here.  I felt appreciated.

 

                A little while later, I could see a gaggle of people approaching – two families, plus Rachel.  Alyssa and Tika were amongst them – and Tika had human parents… I think?  

 

                “Well, look at you, Sir Geoffrey!”  Alyssa remarked.  “You look quite handsome today.  Happy Birthday.”

 

                “Thank you, Alyssa.  Is this your family?”

 

                “Aye.  This is my father Rodri, my mother Jessica, and my sister Carrie, and my little brother Thomas.”

 

                “Welcome to the Church of the Familia, my friends.”  I replied.

 

                “It’s good to finally meet you, lad.  Our daughter has been talking quite a lot about you.”  Rodri replied.

 

                “Daaaaaaad!”  Alyssa whined.

 

                Rodri smiled.  “It’s the truth, though.  I’ve seen you training, lad – running around with those ropes in your pack.  It takes a hard man or woman to be a Vigilant.  I think you’ve got what it takes.  I’m sure your parents would be proud.”

 

                I almost felt a tear come to my eye.  “I hope they will be too, Ser.  One day.”

 

                “Aye, well we should go get seated.  Come on, girls.”

 

                “Coming dad.”  Carrie and Alyssa chimed.  As Alyssa slipped past, she handed something to Geoffrey – a small package wrapped in colored paper.  “Happy Birthday, Geoffrey.”  She said, blushing, then slipped into the church.

 

                I took the package, and set it down to look at later.  “Hi Tika…  Are these your parents?”

 

                “Yup yup yup!  Connie and Feryn Calhoun!  They adopted me when I was a baby.”  Tika replied.  She was wearing a nice ‘Sunday dress’ like most people in town – and the Calhoun’s were no exception. 

 

                “Yes, we didn’t expect to have our baby girl get left on our doorstep, but we did our best.  I think we did pretty good, too.”  Connie replied.  “It’s nice to meet you Sir Geoffrey.  Tika’s told us a lot about you and Rachel.”

 

                “Thank you, Serra Calhoun.  Tika has been a good friend to both Rachel and I since we came to these lands.”

 

                “Well, it’s nice to see she has good taste in friends.”  Tika’s dad, Feryn said.  “First day as a Vigilant?”

                “Yes Ser.  Does is show that badly?” 

 

                “No – you just look a bit nervous is all.  Most of the town knows who you are, and have seen you training.  It’s good that you’re here.  I heard there’s a few houses for sale in town.  Are you planning on settling here?  It would be nice to have a Vigilant living in town.”

 

                “I don’t know yet where I might settle, Ser Calhoun.  I first have business with the King in Callenden – and after that, I do not know where my duty will take me.  Enders Hollow is a very nice town, though – I can think of many worse places to settle.”

 

                “Well, try not to forget us when you’re travelling the world, lad.”  Feryn laughed.  “Thanks for your sacrifices.”

 

                I nodded, and Tika and her parents went inside.  Rachel waved and went to sit with Tika and Alyssa – but not before getting another picture on her cell phone of me standing vigil in front of the temple.

 

                “Last one today, I promise!”  She said.

 

                “I’ll hold you to it, Rachel.”  I chuckled.  “Better get inside if you want a seat.”

 

                As the crowd thinned, and only a few stragglers remained, Sir Fionn gave me a sign that I was doing great.  I smiled, because my nerves were frazzled, and I needed any bit of reassurance he could give.

 

                Eventually everyone who was coming had arrived – I guessed about four or five hundred people, at least – and we closed the doors and barred them, and stood Vigil, our weapons at the ready.  Time passed, and Fionn started to speak.

 

                “Lad, this may seem strange to you – but actions like this were necessary in the ancient past for our people and our faith to survive.  The serpent men would track down those who prayed to any other god save Hrask, and burn them alive.  People like you or me were the last line of defense for the faithful.  Our lives would be our sacrifice to protect theirs.  It is a sacred duty we still carry out today, even though those dark times are past.  Tradition has a large place in our society.”

 

                “I’m learning that, Fionn.  It’s been interesting.”

 

                “Good.  Are you ready for that ‘teachable moment’ you called it at breakfast?”

 

                I grinned.  “Yup!”

 

                “Good.  Let’s start on the principles of channeling your faith…”  and with that, Fionn spent the next two hours teaching me about faith, the power of faith channeled with conviction, and how to channel that faith into a half-dozen magical effects, from smiting my foes to healing serious wounds.  It was fascinating, and the time ended too soon.

 

                “Now, lad.  I hear the second to last hymn being sung.  Go on in, if you want to see your Rachel healed.”

 

                “Thanks, Fionn.”

 

                “No worries, lad.  Now go.  See a miracle.”  Fionn smiled, and unbarred the door.

 

                I walked inside, the quiet jingle of mail armor accompanying my footsteps.  I approached the temple itself, and hovered near the back door – so I wouldn’t disturb anyone finding a seat.  The circular chamber reminded me more of the shape of a stadium than a church from Earth – apparently here in Mercia, the priests and priestesses preached from the center of the arena shaped temple – while the faithful watched from the seats.  It was quite an odd design that appealed to me.  The ceiling and walls had large stained glass windows that let colored light in to illuminate the church, and little balls of witchlight – what Alyssa had told me light spells were called – hovered about to illuminate the rest.  The flock was all standing and singing, and although I didn’t yet know the words, it sounded beautiful and you could tell they sung it with pride. 

 

                As the hymn ended, Seoni stepped forward, and called out to the crowd.  “Are there any before us who ask the gods for their blessings?  If so, step forth, and be healed!”  

 

                Rachel stood, a little unsure of herself, as did another man with a nasty wound (bandaged) on his arm.

 

                The man spoke first…  “Mistress, my name is Galen.  My arm is ruined from an accident at the watermill.  The bone has healed, but I have no feeling in my hand, below my elbow.  Can the gods heal my wound, so I can feed my family?”

 

                “Aye.  I know you well, Galen.  You work with Hasp Miller.  Step forward.”

                Galen stepped forward, and Seoni placed her hand on his arm.  “Great Mother, Heavenly Father, this man comes before you and begs your aid.  His arm is damaged, and his family needs him… Please, heal this man so that he may serve you, and serve the community better. Relieve his pain, his anguish, and make him whole.  In your names, Isundal and Askeline, I beg this.”

 

                As she spoke, tiny magical sparkles began to appear, first in the air, then like fireflies descending down upon Galen’s injured limb.  He gasped in surprise – I had to assume it felt like something, rather than nothing?  Maybe he was feeling sensation return to his arm?  As the incantation ended, the golden light swirled around his arm, and his shoulder, then dissipated. 

 

                Galen moved and flexed his arm – and the crowd called out a blessing to the God and Goddess.  “Thank you, priestess.  Thank the gods!”

 

                “…And now, Rachel Wilson, step forward.”  Rachel stepped forward nervously, and presented herself to Seoni, who turned and addressed the crowd.  “As many of you know, we have new visitors in Enders Hollow…  Rachel Wilson, and Geoffrey Fowler – the young vigilant whom many of you saw this morning.  Rachel suffers from a breathing disorder and must take rare medicines to be able to breathe, and has asked me to heal her today.  Is this still the case, Serra Wilson?”

 

                “Aye, Serra Haines.  If the gods can cure my illness, I would very much like that; if they do not, I will not live many years beyond my medicine running out.”

 

                “The gods can cure any mortal ill, if they wish, Serra Wilson.  They can even restore the dead to life, although it happens very rarely, and only to those blessed few who still have mortal works to accomplish.  If they see you worthy, you will leave here healed.”

 

                “Then I am ready.”

 

                Seoni smiled, and nodded, and began her incantation to the gods.  “Lady of Mercy, Father Sky, lend your strength and mercy upon this woman.  Heal her broken lungs, and let her breathe the air of life freely, without fear.  Heal her wounds, and let her live life to the fullest, and not be confined by the broken body with which she resides.”

 

                Once again, the magical light appeared – but this time it was golden, tinged with blue, and it swept around Rachel’s body like a magical whirlwind – almost lifting her off the floor in its strength… and suddenly it was gone, and Rachel was set back down to the earth.  She looked surprised, and happy.

 

                “I… I think it worked, Seoni!”  Rachel said, breathing deeply in and out… something she didn’t do frequently because the dust and other allergens could trigger an asthma attack.  “I can breathe freely!  Thank you, Seoni!”

 

                “Do not thank me, child.  Thank the gods!  They are the ones who healed you, today.  I merely asked for their attention.”

 

                Rachel knelt at the altar, and whispered a short prayer, and the church flock uttered another prayer as well. 

 

                Rachel returned to her seat, a few tears dripping from her eyes, and I stood there in shock.  It worked!  It worked!  I would be able to do that, someday!  Holy Shit!   Rachel was cured!  Sweet!

 

                Seoni stood before the crowd, and said some final prayers, and bid the flock to depart for another week – but to be honest, at that point I wasn’t listening or paying attention, and I hurried back to my post to resume the Vigil as the flock left the temple for another week.  To be honest, the next half-hour was a daze, and I barely remembered the blessing I got from Seoni when Sir Fionn and I returned to the temple for our private service afterwards. 

 

                As Sir Fionn and I walked back to the Emerald Candle, he slapped me on the back in congratulations.  “You did great, Geoffrey.  Well done for your first time.”

 

                “Thanks, Fionn.  What happens now?”

 

                “That’s up to you, lad.  I understand you have a grandfather who is very ill.  Perhaps it’s time you went to see him before the gods take him into their embrace?”

 

                “Aye.  That does sound like the right thing to do.  Can we still train and travel?”

 

                “Yes, lad.  I won’t leave your side till I’m sure you’re fully trained.”  Fionn commented. 

 

                “Then, barring any problems with Rachel, I think that’s our next move.  To Callenden.”

 

                “To Callenden, then.”  Fionn agreed.

 

                I gathered up the wrapped present from Alyssa, and a few minutes later, we reached the inn and went inside, where Rachel would be waiting for us.

 

 

36