Chapter 19 – Travels
718 4 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                “Rachel… Rachel.”  I whispered.  “It’s time to get up.”

 

                Rachel groaned a bit, and held up her hand in the “thumbs up” position.  “Got it.” She groaned again.

 

                While she was lingering in her sheets, I changed from my boxers to the Mercian breechcloths that Ser Eldermoon had sold me, and started getting on my breeches, tunic, boots and gambeson.  I was only part way through, when I noticed Rachel watching me, so I paused.

 

                “Everything okay?”

 

                She blushed.  “Yes.  Sorry.  I Just got distracted.”  She turned around, and motioned for me to finish dressing.

 

                I smirked… She was checking me out, wasn’t she?  It made me feel good – but also a little strange, since she was kind of in that half-male half-female state I perceived her to be.  Part of me wondered if that meant I was attracted to guys, as well as girls – and part of me just tried to ignore the whole thing.  I quickly finished dressing. 

 

                “Your turn.”  I said, turning around.  Did I like Rachel?  I mean, her body at the moment was confusing to me.  But was the possibility there that I might be able to love her back?  I thought about it, hard.  Rachel had been my best friend for so long, I started wondering if I ‘friend-zoned’ her.  I probably had.  I wasn’t sure if it was because she was still male, at least physically, that made me blind to the possibility, or if there was another reason – I had always assumed it was because she was well… David back then.  I had been dating Christie McDonald for a long time too – and thought I was in love with her.  It hurt like hell when she broke up with me after senior prom, too – and I spent most of the summer bummed out and feeling heartbroken about it.  

 

                My reverie was interrupted when Rachel coughed out loud.  “Ahem… Woolgathering again?”

 

                “Um… yeah, sorry.  I had a really disturbing dream last night, and it’s got me all twisted around inside.  I’d talk about it, but we don’t have time – and it’s not the sort of thing I want to discuss with the others.”

 

                “Maybe later, then, when you’re ready?”

 

                “Yeah, for sure.  Rachel…  Do you think we would have been boyfriend and girlfriend if you had been born a girl?”

 

                Rachel smiled – obviously pleased with the thought.  “I’d have really liked that, I think.  I guess it wasn’t meant to be, at least then.  Do you think we might have a chance to be together after I get changed?”

 

                “I suppose that’s fair to ask…  Yeah, I think so.  We’re best friends – and although I think I had you friend-zoned pretty hard in high school, the last week or two has really opened my eyes.”

 

                “Do… do you think it has to wait until I change?”

 

                That was a harder question.  I didn’t know.  “I’m not sure, Rachel.  Can we talk about it tonight, in the tent?”

 

                “Okay.”  Rachel looked a little upset, but I could tell she knew I wasn’t trying to blow her off.

 

                “Need help with your armor?”  I asked.

 

                “Sure – if you let me help you with yours.”

 

                “Deal.”

 

                We spent the next little bit helping each other properly don our armor – it’s not as easy as just pulling a chainmail shirt over your head and being done with it, at least in real life.  There’s all sorts of fiddly little things to make the suit properly attired – from strapping on the arm and leg plates (if you owned them) to various ties and fastenings for your weapons belt, your tabard, and so on.  About twenty minutes later, both Rachel and I were garbed in our chainmail – her in my grandmothers chain shirt, and me in my suit of riveted mail.  Rachel was armed with a dagger, and her Ladysmith revolver, and I had the Ruger, my grandmother’s shortsword, and the dagger Alyssa had given me as a birthday gift.

 

                “NOW we look like badass adventurers.”  I joked, getting a little snort of laughter from Rachel. 

 

                “I suppose.  I hope wearing armor here doesn’t mess up my spells.”  Rachel quipped back.

 

                “Me too.  Otherwise, you’ll just have to blast them with your pistol.”

 

                “Yeah, I suppose that works too.  Still.”  Rachel pouted.  “I hope my armor doesn’t mess with my spells.”

 

Rachel looked like she really wanted to cast magic.  It was kind of cute…  “I hope not too.  We should get going.  Do you need help with your pack?”

 

“Nah, I got it.  It’s lighter than it was before – I’m leaving some stuff locked up at Alyssa’s so we’re not as weighed down.  I left some of the money behind too.”

 

“Good idea.  I did the same with Gideon.  C’mon.  Sir Fionn is waiting, and I get the impression he may be a patient man, but let’s not test him today, shall we?”

 

“Alright!  Let’s go.”

 

               

 

*              *              *

 

 

                By the time we got downstairs, Sir Fionn was waiting, alongside Alyssa and Tika, who were chatting quietly with the armored knight.  Sir Fionn had his long sword and shield, and a large crossbow slung over his back.  I had my stuff from upstairs, plus my spear and shield, and Alyssa and Tika looked like they had belt knives – but as both were sorceresses, they hardly needed weapons in the first place. 

 

                “We didn’t take too long, did we?”  I asked.

 

                “Not too long,” Sir Fionn replied, “But I would be more comfortable if we ate on the road.  Serra Fines has made us a nice basket of sausage rolls with cheese and bacon – a very nice treat indeed.  They should be easy to eat while walking, if we don’t talk too much until we’re done.”

 

                “All right.  How are you and Tika this morning, Alyssa?”  I asked.

 

                “Good.  It’s exciting to be going on an adventure – even a small one such as travelling to see the King.”  Alyssa replied.

 

                “Yup!  It’s going to be so so so much fun!”  Tika laughed, running around in a circle on Alyssa’s shoulder. 

 

                “Good!”  I laughed.  “I suppose we should get going?”

 

                “Aye,” Sir Fionn remarked.  “It’s three – maybe four days, depending on how quickly we walk, to get to Callenden.”

 

                “I can’t wait.”

 

                “Even if the king’s family turns against you?”  Rachel asked.

 

                “Yeah, even if… At least then I would know.  I don’t really want to have a part in ruling his land – I have no idea how to do that, and I haven’t earned it even if I did.  I’d be content just knowing that he made my Grandma happy and that she never stopped loving him.  Then I could sit down and tell him what I knew of her – and maybe make his passing easier.  If his family didn’t want me around after that, I’d just head out – I don’t care about a fancy title.”

 

                “Well, Geoffrey, I’m afraid the trick is convincing the family of that.  Very few people in this world would turn down a noble title if it was offered to them, and fewer still would just walk away.  I’m glad you told us that – it shows your depth of character.”

 

                “Well, I’m not sure about that, but thank you for the compliment, Fionn.”

 

                We took our leave of the Emerald Candle, and walked through the sleepy town of Enders Hollow, towards the south road out of town.  All around us, small farms were waking to crowing roosters, and farmers and their families were rising to work in the fields and in the barns and pastures.  Some of the farmers waved to us as we passed, and wished us swift journeys, and good fortunes!

 

                The land around us at first was pasture and farmland, dotted with a mix of deciduous trees and conifers, many of which looked similar to Earth trees – but just different enough to be unique in their own right.  Some of the conifers were blue tinted – moreso than any earthly tree I’d ever seen before, and many of the deciduous trees looked like a mix of oak and beech, or cherry and maple.  I spent the first hour of our journey just staring at the beautiful foliage, while I munched on a couple of sausage rolls – and I could see Rachel was doing the same.

 

                “Mercia is a beautiful world, and Ghaelorn boasts a beautiful countryside.” I said, to no one in particular.

 

                “Aye, it is a beautiful land.”  Alyssa replied.  “I prefer the fall when the trees turn their many colors, but summer is beautiful too.  Winter can make this land harsh – and often we simply hunker down somewhere where it’s warm and wait for the cold weather to end.”

 

                “I like the winter.”  Tika laughed.  “I like catching snowflakes on my tongue, and I like playing in the snow… As long as I can leave the snow and get warm when I want to.”

 

                “Well, I’ll have to wait until I’ve seen all the seasons to know which one I’ll love the most.”  Rachel replied.  “I suspect Fall will be my favorite, but I think I’ll have a soft spot for at least one or two other seasons as well.  What’s your favorite season, Sir Fionn?”

 

                Sir Fionn thought a bit.  “I’d have to say Spring.  That’s when the Corthelion flower blooms on the graves of my fallen brothers.  It’s a beautiful yellow flower, with a touch of red in the center, and it always reminds me of spring and new life.  Many Ghaelish people decorate graves with Corthelion flowers because they survive well without watering, and have a pleasant scent and appearance.  They also are supposed to calm the unquiet dead – or at least the legends say that.  I have yet to see it, personally.”

He sighed, sadly.  “I’ll plant some on Brian’s grave, when I get back to the temple.”

 

                “Sir Brian Beckett, your student?”  Rachel asked.

 

                “Aye.”  Fionn nodded sadly.  “And in perhaps another life, the son of my heart, if not of my loins.  The son I never had.”

 

                Rachel nodded sadly, and gave Sir Fionn some space to grieve.

 

                We walked onward for some time, stopping only for a small break around midday.  At lunch we polished off the sausage rolls, and took drinks from our canteens and water skins.  By now the south road had turned mostly to the east, with a bit of a southernly turn to it, and the terrain we were walking through was hilly moors, covered in long grasses and scrub brush, with few full size trees to see.  In the late afternoon, as we walked alongside a series of forested hills, Sir Fionn related a bit about the area. 

 

                “The hills to the north conceal something you may not have heard of, Geoffrey, Rachel.  Legends say that in that forest there is an ancient moon-gate from the ancient times, still lingering, powered by the ancient magics of those long dead.  I’ve heard that those able to master the moon-gates are able to travel between them, anywhere on Mercia, swiftly, although I’ve not heard of whether that travel is safe or not.  Anyway, to the north east of the moon gate is a ruin – the castle of Lord Nain.  He was a warlord in the years of King Colin’s father, King Eoghan, who sought to overthrow King Eoghan and rule in Callenden for himself.  King Eoghan and his men put Lord Nain to the sword, and burnt his castle to the ground – now all that remains is mouldering rubble – and if one is to believe it, the restless spirits of Lord Nain and his men, who were denied proper burial for their crimes.  I would not go there at night, even if I was paid, unless I must.”

 

                “Lord Nain was fascinated with the Moon-Gates.  He studied them for years – I think honestly, he thought they could help him take Callenden by giving his troops superior mobility.  Anyway, no one knows if he discovered the secret of mastering the gates or not – and if he did, it’s most certainly buried in the ruins of his keep, along with his restless ghost.”

 

                At that moment, a small blue luminous exclamation mark appeared on my field of vision, and I chuckled as I assumed my adventure token was updating my quest list with the new possible quest.  I’d better get used to that, I thought.  I’ll check it later.

 

                “Was Lord Nain an evil man?”  I asked.

 

                “I don’t think he was any more evil than any other man, except with his lust for power.  King Eoghan was rumored to be a good king, and an apt ruler, but unpleasant in person.  I think, like with much of history, the victors paint themselves as saints, and the losers as villains.  Few historians are willing to go against a victorious king, and those that do, usually lose.  In the end, Lord Nain lost the battle, and was slain – and King Eoghan went on to be a good ruler – not a particularly kind one, but a skilled and efficient one.”

 

                “So what kind of King has Lord Colin, Jeffrey’s grandfather been?”  Rachel asked.

 

                “King Colin was a firebrand in his youth – strong and handsome, and some say silver tongued.  They thought no woman would ever tame him – until a fiery woman from another land named Janet Fowler came, and proved to be his match.  They adventured across the land, righting wrongs, bringing bandits to justice, and in general being adventurers and young heroes and heroines.  They grew close, and it was assumed that in time they would marry, and Colin would ascend the throne and Lady Fowler would take her place at his side as his queen.   He proposed, and she accepted.  They stayed by each other’s side constantly for almost three years, until an argument drove them apart, just before the wedding.  None save the King and Lady Fowler truly know what was discussed, but Lord Colin never arrived at the wedding – and not for the next seven days after.  Lady Fowler, her heart broken, left these lands and never returned.”

 

                “After that, Lord Colin’s heart was broken, and although he knew where she had travelled, he did not possess the magic to follow her.  He grew morose, and saddened – and so several months passed, when his father King Eoghan demanded he marry, to preserve the strength of the kingdom.  At first, he refused – but as weeks passed, hope that Lady Fowler would return faded, and eventually he acceded to his father’s wishes and married Lady Hemlock, a noble lady from Clan Glairmorgan, whose lands lie a few weeks to the east of these lands, near the city of Port Coventry.”

 

                “After his marriage to Lady Hemlock, Prince Colin did as he was told, as he was expected to do – but no more.  He tried – but despair had taken hold of him, and although he seems to have made his peace with his past, I suspect he is still haunted by may-have-beens and similar ghosts.  In his later years, he grew disinterested in ruling his kingdom, and allowed Queen Hemlock and their eldest son, Michael to rule – subject to his occasional oversight.  To be forthright – and I hope this doesn’t insult you, Geoffrey – but he’s been a piss-poor king, but a very good, and kind man.  He is of noble bearing and thought, and is gentle with the weak, and strong against the wicked – but his heart has left him, and with it, his hope.  I believe he is waiting to die, so that he can be reunited with his true love – a fact his current wife, the Queen, greatly resents.  I do not believe their marriage to be one full of love and affection – merely of political convenience.”

 

                “And that is why you worry that I may be walking into a nest of vipers – not only am I a threat to the succession of her son to the throne, but I am also an unwelcome reminder of his first and only love.”  I shuddered to think about what might go wrong with this journey – but I owed it to Grandpa to try and give him the answers he sought.

 

                “Yes, Geoffrey.  I worry your life may be in danger.  Please, be nothing but polite for your visit.  Give them no excuse to harm you, or punish you in any way, and we may come through this well enough.  Your status as a Vigilant may protect you a little – but it is not a perfect defence, so be warned.”  Sir Fionn looked very concerned.

 

                “I will be cautious, Fionn.”  I promised.

 

                “I pray it will be enough.” 

 

                After that, the mood was thoroughly soured, and so for the next several hours we walked in quiet contemplation, until we set up camp, late in the afternoon.  I estimated we had travelled about sixteen to twenty miles – not bad for hilly terrain, I thought.  My feet were sore and weary – all of us were tired and footsore – but we began to set up our camp.  Sir Fionn had a small tent, suitable for himself and perhaps one other – or his gear, and Alyssa had a small canvas tent large enough for the same.  Rachel and I set up our nylon dome tent, and Alyssa and Tika still watched us assemble it with curiosity, even though they had seen it once before.  Sir Fionn watched us quietly too, simply raising an eyebrow at the tent’s unusual fabric and bright colors.

 

                Once the tent were set up, we spent some time gathering sticks and brush for firewood, and set up a small fire for cooking dinner – and should the fire fail us, we still had our camping stove and several tins of fuel to cook with.  A small creek nearby provided water for the pots, and to refill our wineskins, and soon fires were set, water was simmering, and we were all taking a well deserved rest. 

 

                “It’s been a really long day.”  Tika chattered.  “And I didn’t walk much of it.”

 

                “Aye, you rode my shoulder most of the day.”  Alyssa laughed.

 

                “My tiny legs wouldn’t let me keep up, and there was nowhere to glide from…”

 

                “Well, if Alyssa’s shoulder gets tired tomorrow, you may ride on mine if you wish, Tika.”

 

                “Thanks Geoffrey!  That’s nice of you!  I don’t like walking on the ground around big folk too much – I keep worrying they’ll step on my tail!”  As she told us this, Tika clutched her fluffy tail protectively and stroked it – I suspected she had been trod on by careless people more than once. 

 

                “Well, I will not step on your tale willingly, Tika.”

 

                “Thank you, Geoffrey.  I really appreciate that.  A lot of big folk don’t watch where they tread around little folk like us Reechi – they expect us to use the lines strung between buildings, but we don’t always have that option.”

 

                “I imagine not, Tika.  I’ll keep that in mind.”

 

                We sat quietly for a bit, when Sir Fionn got up.  “Well, lad, enough rest.  It’s time for some training.  I’d like to see what happens if you spend some of those… points or skills or whatever they’re called, and see if it has an effect on your fighting skills.  That is, if you’re amenable.”

 

                “That’s not a bad idea, Sir Fionn, especially if our visit is going to possibly be dangerous.  I’ll need a moment.”  I called up my HUD and took a look at my skills – they hadn’t changed noticeably from last time, so I spent my last unspent skill in Fighting, upping to a d8, which seemed to be a fairly professional level compared to the other skills.  I took my last edge, and swapped it for two skills – and seeing as how I was learning more Vigilant magic stuff all the time, I put a pick into Faith – and I decided to put one into Persuasion, figuring some manners and conversational ability might do me well if we were about to get embroiled in politics and intrigue.  There… All my skills were spent, so until I did something to level up, that was pretty much it.  There was a shimmer of blue and gold light as I spent the last of my skills, which happened last time too, now that I think about it.

 

                It was then I noticed, that with the upgrade to my Faith skill, virtually all of the remaining Vigilant powers, except something called Ceremony, had become unlocked!  Awesome!

 

 

Name: Jeffery Fowler

Sex: Male

Height: 6’ 0”

Race: Human

Age: 20

Weight: 175lbs

Advancements: 2   (Novice)

 

 

 

 

 

Attributes

Derived Stats

Skills     13 + 4

Strength   d8

Dodge: 6                          

Academics (Sm)                         d4

Agility     d8

Parry:   6            (8 w/Shield, Armguards)          

*Athletics (Str)                           d6

Vigor       d8

Toughness:  6     (9/8 w/Chainmail)        

Battle (Sm)                                 d4

Smarts     d6

Move:  12 yards/18 yards run

Boating (Ag)                              d4

Spirit       d6

Charisma: +2

*Common Knowledge (Sm)      d4

 

 

Driving (Ag)                              d4

Edges

Hindrances

Faith (Sp)                                   d6

- Charisma

- Overconfident

Fighting (Ag)                             d8

- Brave

- Heroic

*Notice (Sm)                             d6

- Rich

- Mild Mannered

*Persuasion (Sp)                        d6

- Arcane Background: Vigilant

- Loyal

Repair (Sm)                               d4

 

- Secret (Noble Bloodline – Scion of

Shooting (Ag)                            d6

 

  Clan Mac Tavish)

*Stealth (Ag)                             d4

 

- Clueless**

Survival (Sm)                            d6

 

 

 

You are not Encumbered

** This Hindrance cannot be bought off.

17 Skill picks spent

 

It must be removed through experience.

 

 

 

 

Vigilant Abilities

 

 

Detect Evil        

Lay on Hands        

Ceremony            < Locked >

Smite                 

Aim                       

Blessing              

 

 

 

 

While I was looking, I glanced at my quest log too, just to see if it had changed – and it had, which was no surprise at all.  A lot had happened in the last few days.

 

  • Face and defeat the Wraiths of Castle Nain (Optional)
  • Investigate the Ruins of Castle Nain
  • Investigate the Moon Gate Southeast of Enders Hollow
  • Cast your first spell / Use your first Vigilant Power.
  • Avoid angering the Queen and her Son, Prince Michael (Optional)
  • Visit your Grandfather, the King of Clan MacTavish, and introduce yourself.
  • Travel to Callenden.
  • Discover the meaning of your strange dreams, so that you can find Happiness. (20% Complete)
  • Finish your training as a Vigilant (85% Complete)
  • Resolve your feelings about Alyssa and Rachel and their Trans status. (85% Complete)
  • Find a way to Heal Helena Saskorin’s severe burns.
  • Stand Vigil over a Prayer Service (Completed!)
  • < The rest was Truncated >

 

The rest of the entries below standing vigil had all been marked completed, so it definitely seemed I was making some headway.  I wondered how much completing these little quests mattered, versus how important to US they were… Sort of a quality versus quantity thing.

 

“Hey, Rachel.  Has your Quest Log changed?”

 

She took a look.  “Oh heck, yes.  There’s a lot of stuff finished, and a bunch of new stuff too.”

 

“Anything good?”  I asked.

 

“Yes and no.”  She blushed.  “Just quests and little things that seem important to us.  My list is getting as long as the list in Skyrim.”

 

“Yeah, tell me about it.” I laughed.  “I’ve got a bunch of new ones too.  Some look harder or more realistic than others.”

 

“Same here.”  She laughed.  “I don’t see some of these resolving well in a hundred years.”

 

“Well, I guess it’s kind of cool to see, and to remind us of points we might miss.”

 

“Yup.  Pretty much.  I don’t think I’ve even looked at mine in five or six days.”

 

“Same here.  Some gamers we are, huh, Rachel?”

 

“Yeah, true.”

 

                “Less chatter, lad, and more training.  Have you spent the points or whatever they’re called?”  Fionn asked.

 

                “Aye.  It claims my fighting skill is noticeably improved, as is my persuasiveness and my faith.  It says all my Vigilant abilities, except for Ceremony have been unlocked, and are ready for me to use.”

 

                “Unbelievable.  The magic of that amulet is special, Geoffrey.  To be able to do what it allows you… that is a form of power all its own.”

 

                “I shall try to remember that, Fionn, and treat it appropriately.  Shall we spar?”

 

                “Aye.”

 

                Sir Fionn drew his blade – and I mine – and the first thing I realized was that the shortness of my blade – which seemed a hindrance before – now seemed a minor inconvenience, offset by its greater speed and agility, ease of handling and lightness, which would reduce my fatigue – while Sir Fionn’s sword, while large and impressive, would be slower, heavier, and harder to wield during a prolonged battle.  Heh… I am better.  This is going to be interesting… Let’s see just how good a ‘d8’ is supposed to be!

 

                “You’re standing differently.  Your stance is better, Geoffrey.”  Fionn stated, a little surprised.

 

                “Aye… I think that’s not all that’s different.  Let’s see!”  and I stepped forward to attack, thrusting with my sword.  Fionn reacted slower than I expected, and brought up his blade, parrying – but only just.  I grinned… How much better had I gotten?

 

                We fought and sparred, moving around the camp, testing each other’s defences and making probing attacks of our own…  And after several minutes, it was apparent I was considerably more skilled than I had been.  Still, Fionn was the veteran of a dozen campaigns, and had seen horrors I could only imagine.  After ten minutes of sparring, he got a solid hit on me, and I groaned, feeling the bruise I would have tomorrow forming.  I yielded, and he helped me up.

 

                “Had I not seen it for myself, Geoffrey I would have hardly believed it!  Your swordplay is as good as any man could want, and will only get better in time.  It would seem that I have little left to teach you, save for your more magical powers… The powers that all Vigilant’s wield.”

 

                “I’m glad to hear I am improving, but at the same time, I am sad my training is nearly done.  I have grown to like your presence, Sir Fionn.”

 

                “And I, yours lad.  Still, my path may lead me elsewhere in time, but if I have no pressing needs in the short term, I may stay with you after your training is complete, at least until the gods call me to be elsewhere.”

 

                “That’s good to hear.  Shall we take some rest?”

 

                “Aye, lad.  You may be in the prime of your youth, but I have aches and pains in my bones that age and experience have brought me.  A rest would be welcome.”

 

                We came over to the girls, who had started cooking dinner while we sparred.  There was a root vegetable stew with some turkey cooking on the fire, and Rachel was showing Tika and Alyssa how to use the camp stove to cook our MRE’s.  I could also see that Tika had found a small tube of peanut butter and was likely saving it until later.  I could smell instant coffee in Rachel’s mug, and hot chocolate in Alyssa’s. I knew I would miss that stuff when it was gone, but it was nice while we had it.

 

                “Is there enough coffee for two?” I asked.

 

                “Yeah, of course.”  Rachel said, and tossed me a packet of instant coffee, and a packet of sugar.  “Here.”

 

                “Thanks, Rache.”

 

                I poured the coffee into my mug, and added some hot water from the kettle on the fire.  A few minutes later, I sipped the bitter black brew, and relaxed as the caffeine slowly seeped into me.  I was going to miss this addiction, I thought.  I wonder if they have something like coffee here?  Otherwise I had better get used to tea fairly quickly. 

 

                Alyssa was trying to show Rachel how to make something that looked like a tamale for dinner, and Tika had scampered off to ‘look around’ - probably trying to burn off some of her energy – goddess knew she had a lot of it!  None of us were hunting, because we had ample rations and supplies for the three or four day trip, so we sat and enjoyed the fire and each other’s conversations until dinner time.  Tika returned shortly before dinner, and pronounced the area “safe for the night.”

 

                Curious, I decided to ask.  “How is it safe for the night, Tika?  How can you tell?”

 

                “Well, Geoffrey, I went about the area talking to the plants – plant magic is my specialty, yup yup!  Anyway, the plants said there were lots of predators about, but practically no fertilizers – which is really good for us.  To a plant, a herbivore like a deer or a rabbit is a predator, and what we call predators – like wolves or cairn shadows – they call fertilizers, because they kill the predators and… make plant food when the carcass rots.  So there aren’t any dangerous creatures within a few miles of us!”

 

                “That’s really cool!” 

 

                “Yup Yup, it is!  No one watches what they do around the plants – it’s easy to get all sorts of information and secrets.  I bet it’s the same with animals too!”  Tika grinned as she told us her secret.  It was pretty ingenious, I had to admit.

 

                “Are you excited to soon meet your grandfather, Geoffrey?”  Alyssa asked.  “I have to admit, I am excited to see Callenden.  I’ve never travelled as far from home as that before now – I wonder what will happen while we’re there?”

 

                “Maybe you’ll meet a handsome prince?”  I joked.

 

                “I already have, Geoffrey.  It remains to be seen what transpires from that meeting.”  Alyssa replied.

 

                “Who?”  I said, confused.

 

                Rachel laughed.  “I think she’s referring to you, you dork!  King Colin’s grandson!  It makes you a prince, of sorts.”

 

                Alyssa smirked.  “It does.”

 

                I stared at them.  “Are you two serious?”

 

                Fionn laughed.  “I believe they are, lad.  With good reason.  You have a strong claim to the throne, being the son of King Colin’s firstborn child.  You could end up the lord of a town like Ender’s Hollow, if you’re not careful, or possibly the new King of Callenden.”

 

                “I thought you said I might need to be wary of Queen Hemlock and her son?  How on earth would I end up as the king?”

 

                “In politics and war, Geoffrey, nothing is certain.  The situation can change at a moment’s notice.  I have seen those at the cusp of victory been utterly defeated, and seen those that were thought defeated and helpless, rise up and destroy their enemies.  Keep alert, and be wary.  Knowing your enemies and knowing the battlefield are as important as the troops you bring to the battle – perhaps even more so.”

 

                “That sounds like good advice, Fionn.  Thank you.”  I replied.

 

                “Glad to give it, lad.”

 

                “Enough chatter!”  Alyssa commanded.  “Dinner is ready!”

 

                She and Rachel passed out bowls of food – the stew needed a little more time to cook, but the MRE’s were ready, and we had chicken cacciatore over rice pilaf, with a side of instant mashed potatoes and butter.  There was only a taste of it for everyone, but it served to whet everyone’s appetite for the turkey stew, and everyone appreciated that salt and pepper were readily available – seasonings were so expensive that many folk did completely without them. 

 

                The turkey stew was a bit thin, but it tasted great and the vegetables were done to perfection.  We all ate what we could, and there was nothing left over – but neither did any of us go hungry.  After dinner, Rachel and I shared the cookies and treats that came with our MRE’s – I got a fig newton, as did Fionn, and Rachel and Alyssa shared some oreo sandwich cookies.  Tika got another tube of Nutella, and was in seventh heaven. 

 

                Sir Fionn and I washed the dishes in the creek nearby, seeing as how the ladies were kind enough to cook dinner, and soon we were all relaxed, and winding down from the day.  While we had eaten, the sun had started to get low on the horizon – sundown would probably be sometime around 8pm – but we were all exhausted from a full day of walking.  One of Mercia’s moons hung low in the early evening sky, shining red even though the sun had yet to fully set, and the tiny green moon was also in the sky, heading towards its perihelion.  I didn’t think I’d ever get tired of seeing those moons in the night sky – it was definitely unique.  I bet they had some wicked tides, though.

 

                “Well, lads and lasses,” Sir Fionn announced.  “I think I am off to bed.  We have another long day before us tomorrow.  I recommend that you all get some sleep as well.”  Sir Fionn climbed to his feet, and waved good night as he went to his tent.

 

                “Good night, Fionn.  I’ll see to the watches.”  I called out.

 

                “Good lad.”

 

                “Does anyone have good night vision?”  I asked.

 

                “I do, when I use magic.”  Alyssa replied.  “But otherwise, all of us – Tika included – cannot see in the dark.”

 

                “Then I guess it doesn’t matter who takes watch first.  Does anyone want to guard us first?”

 

                “I will. Me me me!”  Tika chattered.  “I’m not sleepy much anyway.  I’ll stay up, and wake whoever is next.”

 

                “Let that be me,”  I replied.  “And when I’m done, I’ll wake either Alyssa or Rachel – and Fionn can go next.  That way one of us is always getting a full nights sleep and we can rotate who that is each day until we reach Callenden.”

 

                “That sounds fair.”  Rachel replied. 

 

                “Agreed.”  Alyssa joined in.  “I’ll bank the fire, and then we should get some sleep.”

 

                We all nodded, and left Tika in charge of the camp, and headed to our tents to prepare for bed.

 

 

38