Chapter 39: First Mate
8.3k 13 184
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

DISCORD LINK: https://discord.gg/GaYxz6V

AN: I know I said I'll only open a discord server after the timeskip but...well, I may regret this haha. Anyway, I'll just delete the server if it gets annoying hahaha XD

Chapter 39: First Mate

After some time, Momousagi met with them once more in the dining hall.

Judging from the fact that she’s alone, everyone can pretty much guess that Betty managed to escape.

With a stern face, she scolded King Cobra.

“Why is Alabasta letting a Commander of the Revolutionary Army rest in the royal palace!?”

“It can’t be helped, no one here can really beat her.”

“...”

Feeling that he has a point, Momousagi redirected her anger to Lucas.

“Why is a Shichibukai not doing anything to capture her!?”

“...The Shichibukai system is supposed to deter the Yonko, in other words, we only deal with pirates. The Revolutionary is your problem.”

“...”

Feeling that he also has a point, Momousagi turned to look at Hina and was about to speak when Lucas cut in.

“Why is a Vice Admiral not able to capture one Commander of the Revolutionary Army!?”

“I…”

Momousagi was speechless!

Why was she the one being scolded now!?

The thing was...she has no excuse at all!

Hina looked at Lucas and felt complicated. Should she feel grateful to him that she wasn’t scolded or angry at him for scolding her superior?

At the side, Vivi tried hard not to laugh at the situation…

Momousagi glared at Lucas and wished she can cut him to pieces.

Seeing the air becoming tenser by the second, King Cobra intervened.

“Well, calm down. Igaram, why don’t you show Vice Admiral Momousagi to the guest room?”

“Yes, your majesty. This way please, Vice Admiral.”

“...Fine.”

Momousagi snorted and left to her room.

Vivi saw Lucas smiling smugly behind Momousagi and chuckled as she hit him.

“Stop that, anyway, she is still a vice admiral, you should behave.”

“Fine…”

King Cobra saw the interaction between the two and felt a sense of foreboding…

It can’t be...my Vivi-chan!!!

Lucas noticed his look as well so he quickly returned to his room to escape!

When he laid down on his bed, he sighed deeply.

Sigh, seriously. After one left, another troublesome one came...at least Betty was better to look at than this Momousagi chick…

“What? Missed me already, trash?”

“Uwah!? B-Betty? Damn, you scared me...”

Lucas looked at Betty who suddenly popped out from the window.

Betty didn’t mind his reaction and simply walked in and sat on the bed.

“Hm? You’re hurt.”

Lucas could see a few slashes on her body and she also seemed to have a few broken bones.

After thinking for a bit, Lucas still decided to heal her.

“...Thanks.”

“If you want to thank me, start properly using my name.”

“Thanks, trash.”

“...”

Betty smiled.

“I’m just joking. Thanks...Lucas.”

“...You're welcome.”

...Dammit, what’s with this woman acting all cute all of a sudden!?

Lucas cleared his throat and asked.

“So, how come you went through the trouble of going back?”

“Our conversation was cut short earlier. As I said, if you want to learn Haki better, it’s best if you go see Dragon. You don’t have to answer now, but here...this is our contact. If ever you decide in the future, contact us and we will be there.”

“...I’ll take this then.”

Anyway, it’s good to have contact with them. Lucas had no reason to refuse.

Suddenly, Betty gave him a kiss on the cheek before walking to the window.

“I’ll be going now. Thanks again for patching me up.”

With a wink, she jumped off the window and disappeared.

Lucas smiled wryly and scratched his cheek.

He can tell that Betty doesn’t really have feelings for him. That kiss was something like what an elder sister would give to her little brother.

Lucas sighed and laid back on his bed.

He took out the paper that Betty gave him and found that it was also a vivre card.

“I really should get me one of these...I wonder, if I asked Hina, will they give some to me?”

Morning came.

Lucas went with his usual rounds before going back to training.

Currently, he can now lift heavy dumbbells like Zoro. Naturally, he hasn’t reached Zoro’s level of strength yet. At most, he is only a bit below Sanji now.

In Lucas’ mind, in terms of power, Sanji should be below Zoro at the moment. Of course, if it’s simply leg power, Sanji would be stronger. But for overall raw strength, Zoro still wins out.

As he was training, a familiar visitor appeared before him. It was Kohza.

“Have you decided?”

Lucas asked.

After Vivi had told him about Kohza, he went to find him the next day and ask his opinion.

That time, Lucas can see Kohza still hesitating so he gave him some time to decide.

Kohza coming to find him now...should mean that he had made his decision.

“...I’ve thought about it…”

“And?”

“I’m in.”

Lucas smiled. He finally had a trustworthy member in his crew!

“Good. But I need to know now, do you want to be in the front lines or support from behind?”

“What do you mean?”

Kohza asked, confused by Lucas’ question.

“Depending on your answer, I will decide on your training and position.”

Kohza thought for a while before finally answering.

“If possible, I’d rather not fight.”

“Yet you still chose to join me?”

“Yes, I’ve talked with Princess Vivi about it...and I’ve also given it some thought for the past few days. If I can be a part of your crew, it will also mean that Alabasta had gained your protection. This is an investment for a better future of Alabasta.”

Lucas was taken aback by his reason.

“You know, even if you don’t join, I will still protect Alabasta no matter what.”

“I know, but nevertheless, this is what I must do.”

“...Very well.”

Seeing Kohza’s conviction, Lucas no longer asked anything.

“In that case, you will be in charge of intelligence gathering and tactical support. From now on, you are my...Vice Captain!”

“...Hah?”

Kohza’s jaw dropped. How the hell did he end up as the Vice Captain already!?

Lucas just laughed.

“Haha, speaking about it, you can be considered as my First Mate. Those bunch from CP9 don’t really count since they’re basically half-forced into joining. Plus, I can rest assured if I leave the crew to you, Vice Captain Kohza.”

“...Really now…”

Kohza sighed with a wry smile.

He doesn’t know it yet, but in the future, his name will also be known throughout the Grand Line. When one speaks of Lucas, they will also think about his right hand man in his Shichibukai days.

They say that this man has cards hidden in every corner of the world and knew every news before it even happens and is one of the hidden generals that supported the Pirate King! The Wild Card, Kohza!

After accepting Kohza to his crew, Kohza said that some guys from the former rebellion group also wanted to come with.

Lucas accepted them as well. With this, he now has a sizeable crew himself.

But now, he has another problem...his personal ship is too small and his real ship is still in the making.

As such, he turned to Hina.

“Hina, lend Lucas a ship.”

“...”

“Don’t worry, Lucas will give it a paint job so it wouldn't look like a marine ship.”

A vein popped on Hina’s forehead again.

Hina felt she’s being insulted whenever Lucas talks in third person as well!

Hina sighed and ignored Lucas’ tone. She called Sengoku to report.

Sengoku heard Lucas’ request and sighed as well.

“Fine, give him a ship. Anyway, it’s good that he didn’t turn to the Revolutionary. Now that Betty had escaped, tell Momousagi she can return, there are more important things for her to do. Oh, and it seems Lucas has pretty much completed his mission. Tell him he can leave if he wants...but once he is needed, he better respond.”

“Understood.”

In his office, Sengoku rubbed his temple and slumped in his chair.

With the Revolutionary removed from Lucas’ side, and Alabasta’s trust in them again, Sengoku was already satisfied. Still, a lot of things seemed to keep popping up that he can’t catch his breath.

At least he doesn’t have to mind Lucas’ matter for some time.

As for granting him freedom, it was a small thing. Anyway, Hina is still there to monitor him so he won’t be causing too much trouble.

It was more important for him to deal with the more important matters such as the murder of a World Noble a few days ago…

The entire Sabody Archipelago was nearly destroyed from the incident. Thankfully, they managed to find the culprit and was able to calm down the nobles.

But even with that issue somewhat settled, another thing popped up.

Sengoku looked at the newspaper and groaned.

“This guy...after so many years, he finally resurfaced again and did this...just where has he been hiding all this time!?”

Meanwhile, inside the Devil’s Sea, the Florian Triangle.

The Strawhats had finally received the new ship and added in Franky to their crew. They set off a few days ago to reach Fishman Island when they came across a barrel floating on the sea.

The curious Luffy naturally took it and they opened it. As soon as they did, a flare shot up to the sky!

Then, a storm arrived and pushed them to the Devil’s Sea, the Florian Triangle, where they met a strange talking...skeleton!

This skeleton was Brook. A person who had eaten the Revive Devil Fruit which explained his appearance.

But the strange thing was...Brook didn’t seem to have a shadow at all! And he also can’t be reflected in the mirror!

Soon, they found themselves trapped in Thriller Bark, the gigantic ship of Gecko Moria.

At this moment, Nami, Usopp, and Chopper got separated from the group and found themselves in the mansion of Doctor Hogback.

After receiving his hospitality, Nami asked Usopp and Chopper to guard the door while she takes a bath.

Absalom, who had eaten the Invisibility Devil Fruit, was already inside the bathroom, eagerly waiting for her to strip!

Nami was about to remove her clothes when suddenly, she paused.

She picked up her clima-tact and started to make black clouds casually.

Watching her make black clouds, Absalom was confused.

Is that staff some kind of toy for taking a bath? But why does it look like a black cloud?

Absalom thought about it for a moment but couldn’t arrive at a conclusion. Eventually, he just ignored it and thought it was just a toy.

Then, he heard Nami speak.

“The weather is...a chance of thunder and lightning.”

Nami casually walked to the door and left while flinging a thunder ball to the black clouds.

“Lightning Tempo!”

“Gyaaa!!!???”

Both Usopp and Chopper looked at the guy that suddenly appeared out of nowhere only to be struck by lightning.

Their jaws dropped to the ground.

Nami...scary!

Absalom had been hiding in the bathtub and was quite wet. So the lightning that struck him just now was even deadlier!

“Chopper~”

“Y-yes!?”

Nami smiled at Chopper who suddenly straightened his back upon being called by the demon.

“Would you be so kind as to throw that trash?”

“I’ll do it!”

Chopper quickly turned to his Heavy Point form and ran inside to grab the unconscious Absalom.

He opened the window and didn’t care that this wasn’t the 1st floor as he threw Absalom far away!

“Thank you~”

“I-it was nothing!”

Chopper returned to normal and dashed back outside the bathroom.

After closing the door again, Nami sighed in relief.

“Hm...was that what Lucas spoke of? Observation Haki? For a moment there, I could tell that someone was here…”

Nami placed her index finger to her chin as she pondered.

If Lucas was here, he would’ve been shocked!

He didn’t think that the before Luffy and Zoro, the first to actually gain Observation Haki...was Nami!

Then again, Nami always seemed to have a powerful sixth sense with how she can easily feel the minute changes of the weather.

She must’ve been one of those innate people who had this power from birth. It only matured when she grew up. Lucas must’ve triggered this innate ability of hers somehow…

Nami fell silent and thought.

...It can’t be because of ‘that’, right?...I should confirm with Robin later…

After deciding, Nami felt this new ability of hers.

“Now that I think about it...this mansion...I can ‘see’ the whole place, even Doctor Hogback’s lab…so that’s it? I knew that Doctor Hogback was suspicious. We should leave as soon as I take a bath…”

En, taking a bath is more important!

Back in Alabasta, Lucas was surprised to hear that Sengoku agreed to lend him a ship and even let him leave Alabasta.

Lucas sighed in relief.

Finally, I can start gathering my crew...as soon as Lucci and the others, as well as the ship, arrives, we’ll be setting off.

Lucas said the same to Kohza as well so he can start gathering those who will come with and prepare.

Momousagi appeared in front of him and gave him one last glare before leaving.

“You better not cause any trouble.”

“Sure sure, just go already.”

“...”

This damn brat!

Momousagi was this close to slicing off Lucas’ head…

After glaring at him, she left on her ship and started to sail.

Lucas looked at Hina and asked.

“Is she always on her period or something?”

“...”

Hina pretended not to hear him…

Lucas shrugged and looked at the sky. Seeing as it was about to get dark, he started to head back to the palace to rest.

“Lucas!”

Seeing Vivi rush towards him with a worried look, Lucas frowned.

“Vivi? What happened? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine...but…”

Vivi looked at the newspaper in her hands and passed it to Lucas.

Confused, Lucas looked at the contents and finally understood why Vivi was worried.

The contents of the newspaper wrote about several islands disappearing in East Blue…

“I heard that Luffy and them came from East Blue...do you think…?”

“...No, none of the islands that disappeared were their homelands.”

Lucas read the report and sighed in relief when he saw the list of island names. Still, he can’t be too relieved just yet.

He knows what this event signified.

It’s just that Lucas didn’t think that this would also happen here. After all, this event only happened in the movies of One Piece in his world…

Since even events from the movies can happen, who's to say the non-canon arcs in the anime will also not happen?

If that’s the case…

Lucas’ face became grim.

Damn! I didn’t pay too much attention to those non-canon arcs!

It seems that Lucas had severely underestimated this world and the things happening in the background…

Lucas stopped thinking about that for now and focused on the current issue.

There was no telling that everything will happen just like in the movie. In the movie, Luffy and the others’ homelands were not included in the island’s disappearance but now…

Lucas can’t risk this chance.

He turned to Hina and said.

“Tell Sengoku to hurry it up with the ship. And it better be able to travel the Calm Belt!”

“You...you’re really going to East Blue?”

“Yeah. I’m gonna kick that Shiki’s ass to the ground!”

 

AN: Long note below, but please read...T_T

M-M-MASS RELEASE!? WOAAAHH!!!

Surprised? Me too! But this is the last one for today haha. I have to rewatch the movie tomorrow and make sure that I got things right.

From what I remember, Luffy and the others met Shiki just before the Sabody arc and after they got Brook. Obviously, some things changed for this story and it may not be the same as you remember in the movie. What I'm doing is simply using the events that happened in the movie and rework it to fit this story.

Kohza being the first mate is something I decided before as it kinda makes a full circle from back when he came to Kohza to save Alabasta. He's also pretty cool a character so I'm gonna turn him into a badass vice captain!

As for Belo Betty and Momousagi leaving already, this is because I don't know much about their abilities and personalities yet. From what I can tell, Betty is kind of like a crude older sister type who likes to trash talk but is kind to those she gets close too while Momousagi is...well, scolding people...haha.

The main reason why I showed Betty was for Sabo to be given a chance to go to East Blue hehe, I could have used other excuses but...Betty is so hot I couldn't resist! XD

Also, I could have used other characters to chase away Betty but decided to have Momousagi show up briefly to interact with the MC.

See ya next chap!

184