Chapter 41: Growth
7.8k 21 159
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

DISCORD LINK: https://discord.gg/nTGxMXW
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 41: Growth

Lucas was surprised to hear that Nojiko wanted to join.

“...Nojiko, you realize that this isn’t a game right? Being a pirate is dangerous!”

“All the more reason why I should join. After hearing your story, I know that Nami has become stronger. As her older sister, it won’t be right if I remain weak...besides, I miss her. I hope that I can support her in the future.”

Nojiko looked straight into Lucas eye with determination.

Currently, Lucas is having a dilemma. He’s worried that something might happen to her if he takes her to the sea. If that happens, Nami will hate him for life!

On the other hand, if he doesn’t take her with him, with that much determination, he’s worried that she will set out on her own. That would be even more dangerous!

“...What position am I even supposed to give you? Can you navigate?”

“No.”

“Can you fight properly?”

“No.”

“Can you shoot a gun?”

“I can shoot.”

“Phew…”

“But hitting a target far away is another thing.”

“...Can you cook?”

“Yes.”

“...”

Lucas sighed.

Ahh whatever. I’ll deal with the trouble when the time comes…

“Fine...but I won’t take you in just yet. I’ll come back for you after I deal with the pirate that’s been causing trouble in East Blue.”

Nojiko pouted but still agreed nonetheless. She knew that she wouldn't do any good in the upcoming fight as she is now.

“Well...alright. You better come back, otherwise, I’ll find a way to tell Nami that you took advantage of me!”

“...”

Damn! Those two are certainly sisters alright! To even use the same threat!

After escaping from Nojiko, he rounded up his people and left, leaving a few behind as promised.

On the ship, Hina looked at Lucas dubiously.

“You didn’t seduce another girl, did you?”

“I didn’t!”

“Suuure. Hina believes you.”

This time, it was Lucas’ face that twitched.

This damn woman!

“Hmph! What? Are you jealous?”

“Hina is not jealous.”

“Suuure. Lucas believes you.”

“...”

While the two of them bickered, they reached the Gecko Islands. Usopp’s hometown, Syrup Village.

The instant his ship neared, they could already hear three voices shouting.

“PIRATES!”

“PIRATES HAVE COME!”

“RUN!!!”

Hearing those voices, Lucas knew who they were.

They were most likely the three kids who were with Usopp back then. Frankly, Lucas was a bit interested in taking in these three and train them but figured it would be troublesome as they all have parents here in this village.

I doubt those parents will easily give their child…and to pirates at that.

Lucas’ goal this time is the same as in Cocoyasi. To ensure that they were also fine. Other than that, he wanted to see if he can recruit Kaya as the doctor of their ship.

He had an idea of letting her train with Dr. Kureha once they go back to the Grand Line as well if ever he succeeds.

Plus, it would be nice to get her and Usopp together. I ship them!

Lucas laughed in his head as he approached the village.

Just like in Cocoyasi, the villagers were also hostile at first. But after some explanation and seeing Hina’s marine captain uniform, they all calmed down.

“Usopp-san?”

At the moment, Lucas was already speaking to Kaya and told her that he was a part of the Strawhats in the past.

“Un, he’s mentioned you quite a lot you know? After hearing that East Blue might be in danger, I figured to drop by and made sure the people related to Luffy and them are safe.”

“Eh? H-he’s mentioned me a lot!?”

Lucas smiled wryly seeing Kaya start blushing and fidgeting when she heard that.

Usopp that idiot! Bakasopp! If he makes her cry in the future, I will pull him to the very depths of the ocean!

“Achoo-!?”

Inside Thriller Bark, Usopp looked around in confusion as to why he suddenly felt a chill.

“Ahh, Usopp-san, are you cold?”

“Uwaah!? Dammit Brook! Don’t sneak up on me like that!”

Usopp shouted at Brook angrily.

It seems Usopp was convinced that it was Brook’s fault why he suddenly felt chilly.

“Still...I wonder when would Zoro wake up?”

Usopp looked at the people still lying down unconscious.

It has already been days since the fight with Moria ended. Luffy woke up immediately after a day but for some reason, Zoro hasn’t woken up for a while now…

At the side, Sanji looked at the unconscious Zoro and clicked his tongue in a bad mood.

This damn swordsman…

To explain the situation, it all started a few days ago. Right after they got into Thriller Bark and got separated with Nami, Usopp, and Chopper.

In order to rescue them, Luffy and the rest set out as well. However, due to Nami unexpectedly gaining Observation Haki, she was able to defeat Absalom and lead Usopp and Chopper out of the mansion to meet up with Luffy.

“Nami! Are you guys okay!?”

“Yeah, we need to get out of here, this place is dangerous!”

Nami told them what she ‘saw’ in the mansion earlier.

Hearing this, Chopper’s face was grim. He had idolized Dr. Hogback in the past...to learn that he was making zombies...defiling the dead...he can’t forgive him!

Suddenly, Usopp asked.

“Huh? But Nami, we never went to his lab earlier, how did you see it?”

“Ah, it’s that Haki thing Lucas mentioned.”

“Haki?”

Nami saw the confused expressions of the others except for Zoro, Sanji, and Robin who appeared surprised.

Oh yeah, Lucas never told it to them before…

In fact, both Nami and Robin only got to know it after their ‘pillow talk’ ended and they were simply chatting before falling asleep.

“As expected from my Nami-swaan~!”

“I’m not yours!”

Zoro ignored the idiot cook on the ground and grunted.

“How come you learned it before me? You weren’t even training on it properly…”

“Err, that...It just sort of happened...how about you, Robin?”

“Me? I’m nowhere close to learning it.”

Robin was confused about why Nami would ask that but still shook her head.

So it doesn’t have anything to do with ‘that’? No, in the beginning, it’s ridiculous to even think that!

“What is it? This Haki thing you guys are talking about?”

Luffy interjected as he saw that Zoro, Sanji, and Robin seemed to know about it as well.

Since the cat’s out of the bag now, Zoro explained.

“Lucas explained Haki as some sort of ability that everyone can learn. There are two types that he told me. Observation Haki, and Armament Haki.”

Nami nodded and continued.

“Observation Haki is the ability to ‘see’ everything around you. In extreme cases, it can also allow one to see the future for a second before it happens. This is like the Mantra that the people from the Sky Island can do. Lucas has already mastered this to the point of seeing a few seconds ahead.”

“Ah! So that’s why he’s so powerful!? I can learn this too!?”

Luffy’s eyes gleamed as he saw a chance to get even stronger!

Zoro nodded.

“Yeah. Actually, he has already been training you for that before he left. Remember the blindfold plays you guys did? That was part of the training.”

“I see…”

Luffy smiled. He never knew how much Lucas has been looking out for him back then.

Sanji lit up a cigarette and continued the explanation.

“Then there’s Armament Haki. Lucas said that this will provide some sort of layer around a person’s body or weapon to make it even stronger and harder. Not to mention, this is supposedly able to work against certain devil fruit users.”

Hearing that, everyone exclaimed.

Usopp asked while still in disbelief.

“You’re saying...that if you have this Armament Haki thing, then you will be able to touch logia users? Or even hit a rubber man?”

“That’s right. Don’t you remember Luffy’s grandpa? He could hurt Luffy with his punch.”

“Ah.”

For a moment, Luffy went silent in realization. Then, he erupted.

“Ahh!!! How come gramps didn’t teach me this haki thing and instead throw me in the middle of the jungle!? I would’ve been super stronger if that was the case!”

“W-well, it’s probably because you keep saying you want to be the Pirate King…”

“Ah.”

Still, even though he thinks that they were probably right, Luffy still decided to hate Garp for not training him in Haki.

Poor Garp has no idea how much his grandson hated him now...

Robin chuckled when she saw Luffy still pouting in a bad mood.

“Fufu, well, it seems that this Haki is something that is common in the latter half of the Grand Line. Only a few people know about this in this half. You should use this time to train on it before we go to the New World.”

“Yosh! I’m gonna master this Haki thing!”

“Ah, before that...where’s Franky?”

Usopp asked when he saw that they seemed to be missing someone…

Everyone looked around and found that Franky has indeed gone missing!

“Maybe he went back to the ship?”

“Aaahhhhh…”

Suddenly, everyone heard a person moaning from the ground. When they looked, they saw a tattered arm with injuries and bandages try to claw its way out.

Nami, Usopp, and Chopper’s faces went pale in shock!

“Z-z-z-...”

The next moment, Luffy walker to the zombie that just got out and...pushed it back in the ground nonchantedly.

“...Like I’d go back, you fool!”

Even the zombie was shocked to the point that he retorted!

Luffy’s face went pale as well and sweated a bit.

“An old man with a big wound!?”

“It’s a zombie, don’t you see!?”

When the rest of the zombies got up as well, Luffy and the others easily settled them without much effort.

Once the zombies were beaten all over again, they questioned them and managed to find out about a few things.

The crew met with one of the remaining humans that was trapped in the island and finally knew who’s the big boss in this place. Gecko Moria, one of the shichibukai!

Fearing that they may be too late, they split up to look for Franky.

In the process, Sanji encountered Absalom who just woke up after being electrocuted by Nami.

When Sanji learned that Absalom had the invisibility fruit, he went on fire with jealousy!

“You bastard took away my dream fruit! Take this! Diable Jambe!”

Sanji spun on one foot, causing it to grow red from the heat generated by friction. Next, he jumped up and...jumped again!

Skywalk!

Once he was high enough, Sanji swung his blazing red leg towards Absalom.

“Idiot! Like that could reach me!”

Absalom snorted and raised his hands, ready to fire his invisible canons when suddenly, he saw a red blur heading towards him!

“Flambage Sabré!”

“W-what!? GAH!?”

Sanji landed and looked at the unconscious Absalom.

“Like I thought, mixing Diable Jambe and Rankyaku is indeed effective…”

Still, Sanji felt that this wasn’t enough. He approached Absalom and started to kick him all over!

“Extra Crushing Death!”

“Buhebebabohogo!!!”

...

Finally satisfied, Sanji left to find Franky.

The zombies watching in the distance let out a cold sweat.

How vicious!

Meanwhile, Zoro had encountered Brook who was busy fighting his shadow zombie.

When Zoro saw the sword being used by the zombie Ryuma, he grinned.

“Yosh, I will be taking that sword.”

“...Yohohoho, quite the feisty one we have here.”

Zoro grinned and no longer spoke words. He was itching for a fight!

WIth a powerful dash, he sent two sword slashes towards Ryuma who casually parried with a single sword.

“Aubade Coup Droit!”

Ryuma stabbed towards Zoro who dodged just in the nick of time and even managed to deflect it.

However, on the wall behind him, a hole was made!

Brook was shocked when he saw this. When it was him performing this move, it doesn’t come out that way!

The next moment, the wall behind Ryuma also exploded and revealed a slash!

“Yohohoho, I see you deflected it.”

“Heh, the next time, it will hit you.”

“Yohoho, we shall see. Prelude: Ofueru!”

*SLASH*

Their weapons once again collided and Zoro saw what kind of move Ryuma did.

A weapon breaking technique!?

Zoro no longer dallied and attacked.

“Nigiri...Hirameki Maguma!”

“Gavotte Bond Avant!”

Zoro gritted his teeth.

“Tekkai! Nitoryuu...Iai! Rashoumon!”

*BOOM*

Another explosion caused by the clash of swords!

But from the exchange just now, it was clear that...Ryuma was on the losing end!

Ryumu casually looked at his severed left hand and laughed.

“Yohohoho, what power!”

The clash just now also destroyed the walls around them so they had no choice but to leave and fight on the roof.

*Slash*

The two didn’t waste any time and clashed once more on top of the roof.

Since the roof was triangular, Zoro had a hard time fighting on the slope.

With one of his swords stabbed on the roof to hold on, he waved his sword with his other hand and swung his feet.

“Nitoryuu...Torakiba!”

“!?”

Ryuma was surprised to see him send a sword slash with his feet and could only barely dodge it.

Then, with a leap, Zoro flew into the air and aimed at Ryuma as he landed.

“Tekkai! Itoryuu Hiryuu…”

Ryuma looked up and knew that he was about to lose. But as a swordsman himself, he refused to go down without a fight!

“Hanata Sanchou...Yahazu-”

“KAEN!”

Their swords clashed once more, but this time, Zoro was two steps ahead and managed to slash Ryuma!

As he fell, Zoro noticed Ryuma’s wound suddenly caught on fire. He was surprised as his move wasn’t supposed to have that kind of affect.

Zoro fell onto a platform next to the roof with on his back.

“...I lost...the Meitou once carried by a legendary samurai...Shuusui! With you as its master, this sword, too...should be satisfied.”

Ryuma sheathed the sword while his body is still in flames.

Finally, he tossed the sword to Zoro.

“I have allowed this samurai’s body...to suffer defeat. I am ashamed…!”

“...As long as you're ashamed, that’s enough. You are a swordsman in mind and body...I would have liked to meet you when you were still alive.”

“...”

It was unknown whether Ryuma heard Zoro’s words or not as a shadow left its body and returned beneath Brook’s feet.

Zoro smiled at the overjoyed Brook and looked back at his new sword.

“I’ll take your sword...but let’s pretend this match never happened. Samurai of the country of Wano…!”

Zoro was looking forward to the day he visits this country!

While their fights were happening, Chopper was also about to end his fight with Dr. Hogback.

Unlike in the original where they only nearly beat him up before escaping from Oz, this time, Chopper was able to properly beat him!

“Arm Point...Tekkai! Kokutei...Roseo!”

Though Zoro and Sanji were able to learn 2 of the Rokushiki, Chopper was only able to learn this one move.

He felt that with this, his attacks would be stronger and his defense will also be strengthened.

Then there’s Usopp who is currently facing against Perona.

“Hmph! Behold my ultimate move…!”

“W-what is it now!?”

Due to her Negative Hollows not working on Usopp, Perona has been very cautious when fighting against Usopp.

Hearing he has an ultimate move, her face became pale.

“Rokushiki...Kami-e!”

Suddenly, Usopp’s body started to sway from side to side. Any attacks that Perona sent were all...dodged in a weird way!

That’s right. Out of all the techniques in the Rokushiki, it was only this technique that Usopp managed to learn!

The ultimate...dodging technique!

“...”

Okay, forget it. Other than that, Usopp is still the same Usopp. Though their fight ended much faster than before...well, no need to focus on this fight…

Other than them, Robin managed to learn Shigan as well. Franky learned Tekkai to compensate with his weakness at the back. And Nami is the same as Usopp, she learned Kami-e first. Her safety is more important after all!

If Garp or any of the marines were to learn how much they have progressed, they would no doubt sigh in regret.

Why do these people have to be pirates...they would’ve made a great marine!

Small appearance of Lucas haha. Most of this and the next chap will feature the Strawhats again as I needed to point out the differences that happened.

It's hard to come up with new name techniques for the others as they have their own naming scheme...Zoro is still okay, but Sanji and the others is hard haha.

Anyway, Nojiko is in, but will Kaya also agree? Hmm...

And as for the fight with Moria and Kuma, I wonder what will happen?

See ya next chap!

159