The Familiar of Fate: Chapter 65 – Within and Without(Stage 1 – 1)
600 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Witch swiftly flicked her wrist towards Fate, releasing a dark blue wave of light that covered his entire body. The light slowly transformed into a smoke that soaked into Fate’s pupils, paving over the quivering pale-blue with a still navy-blue.

Fate’s body ceased its shivering and he looked at her in stunned silence, as he was unable to feel the fear that had plagued him previously.

-What, I’m not scared? She made a whole in the wall where my head used to be and has been standing over me...wait a second...I know this feeling from somewhere…

The Witch watched amusedly as Fate racked his brain in frustration. However, seeing her bemused expression only made Fate delve further and faster into his memories, and soon lightning struck. His stunned expression quickly turned into a dissatisfied frown, as he recalled the first time he had met the Witch…

-How in hell did I not think of something that...momentous?! It was the start of my hell, where she revealed both that emotion dampening crap magic and mind reading! Then I had to witness my own birth!!!

He could feel his embarrassment, anger, and disgust struggle under the surface of the magic that was largely suppressing his emotions, but they were quickly lessened. Now, he sat calmly, although displeased, in front of the Witch, waiting for what would happen next.

The Witch raised her eyebrow questioningly.

Witch of Fate: “You seemed to have realized that I haven’t gone so far as to completely remove your emotions, and you seem to have recalled the spell I used previously. Still though, to think that you wouldn’t want to recall our time together, I’m truly hurt!~”

She spoke in a slightly-sad tone, but her smile still remained, which only served to further Fate’s displeasure. The glare of his magically coated eyes was directed at her starry purple eyes, but she paid it no heed.

Once again, he was helpless, and the frustration that struggled within his heart could not settle itself, no matter how much he attempted to justify how he felt.

-Damn! I keep getting stomped on by those stronger than me and now the...thing that landed me in this situation shows up out of the blue and screws around after nearly putting a hole in my head!

The navy-blue coloring in Fate’s eyes suddenly began to flicker, while scorn played at his heartstrings. However, even though she could read his thoughts, and an insult from Fate should have prompted some response, but she continued to smile.

Fate’s anger neared murderous hatred, however, he was instantly shut down, just as his eyes had finally begun to brighten. A wave of fear assaulted him, forcing the hatred in his heart to weasel itself into an unknown crevice, and his expression quickly began to deteriorate as a mysterious pressure crushed his spirit! The anger now completely annihilated, the spell took hold of him, and he was once again calm.

The Witch giggled for a short while before sneering at him mockingly. She truly seemed pleased with herself, as if the previous anger and indignation that she had shown were truly gone, now replaced by the joy of having watched Fate squirm under her heel.

Witch of Fate: “I believe that that shameless reversion of my spell would be your own fault, yes? After all, I’m taking the trouble to graciously donate one of my spells to rectify your fears, is that something you wish to reject?”

Her voice was warm, but her words were glaringly sinister in comparison. She gave Fate no time to collect his thoughts, as she proceeded to begin whacking him on the head with her staff!

For Fate, it hurt somewhat, but its fearsomeness was far more apparent in that the dread which had resurfaced from Fate’s attempt to reject the spell, now sprung into being for moments at a time!

He felt the panic and horror chill his body as he was repeatedly subjected to visions of a ghastly aura which threatened to crush his soul, and he could feel his thoughts, once again, fading, while his body began to grow cold and tremble timidly...

After a short while of seemingly undoing the spell she had cast, by means of hitting Fate over the head with her staff, she rested it on the floor. The spell quickly restored itself, allowing Fate to regain the warmth and tranquility that he had been abruptly deprived of, while the Witch seemed to stroke her chin in confusion.

-...

Witch of Fate: “How long did they say it took to develop it…? I understand that they’re below us, but I thought all living creatures cherished their ‘free will?’ I don’t wish to break him, however, in order to prevent that woman from...I’ll just have to be hard on him, before dangling that worm…”

Fate, now seemingly instantly recovered from his swim in despair, questioned what she was muttering to herself, but didn’t put any words to his thoughts, only allowing his much appreciated feelings to swim unabated within his mind.

The power of the spell was extremely remarkable since it allowed Fate this near instant recovery, despite how many times it had been undone, some might say a miracle. However, the Witch would not allow him more time, as she began to speak…

Witch of Fate: “I have a task for you, my little familiar, and it is not up for debate.”
Fate, despite the returned calm, now felt alarm at this statement. However, he remained silent and the Witch continued her speech…

Witch of Fate: “Now then, as I have made evident, I am quite capable of redacting my spells and thus, expose you to my natural, divine aura. And so, your task is to still your center, without the use of my spell, of course, while I enlighten you to some truths…”

The sinister sneer, once again, appeared, only seeming to further Fate’s impending sense of trepidation…

Witch of Fate: “I should hope that your performance is satisfactory...otherwise, you’ll most likely cease to function. That would be quite troublesome, but I have back-up plans...should you fail…”

Fate nervously gulped and the Witch stomped her staff twice, against the floor, causing the room around them to collapse. The chill in Fate’s body intensified, while the expanse of the void was exposed to him…

Witch of Fate: “Let’s begin this little...examination, shall we? I truly hope that you’ve learned something over these few years we’ve been oh so far apart.~”
...

12