Chapter Three : On The Move
82 3 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He remained unmoving until the light outside receded, then his green eyes open and a dim glow appeared in them as he looked at himself without any movements in the mirror.

His face didn't have any injuries and his arms and body was restored as well. Even his throat had recovered but the scents which were faint before had already faded to a surprising degree.

"How long has it been?" Wynn frowned because his voice was a bit different. If before it wasn't too deep, now it was lacking in any masculinity.

"My throat didn't heal well?" Wynn stood up, using the wall to support himself. He stared at the figure in the mirror and headed to the bathroom.

When everything turned nightmarish, he wasn't in a large city and thus didn't end up being trapped with thousands of zombies outside.

Of course, where zombies were more numerous, also meant resources were more numerous because zombies had no use for them.

While water wasn't scarce yet, cities definitely had more as people couldn't scavenge without being surrounded by zombies, and as such, left more supplies untouched.

Stepping into the shower after stripping his torn and dirty clothes off, he wasn't surprised when all he got was cold water, but the cold didn't bother him at all.

After using the soap and having to leave the shower to find a clean rag, Wynn got back into the shower and washed himself thoroughly and dried himself.

He used little to no soap, as something told him he could be discovered easier if his scent was strong. Of course, like all zombies, he had a scent but he also knew how to move upwind while hunting to avoid being discovered.

Venators had unreal hunting and tracking skills, and even without him knowing a thing in tracking or even scents, he had a general idea on what not to do.

After wiping himself with the towel, he tossed it aside and searched through the room for clothes his size. Venators didn't just account for their footsteps being silent, and even the rustling of clothes had to be minimized as well.

After finding a plain dark t-shirt and a black pants, he headed downstairs and swiftly found a pair of shoes. For every scent he encountered and found the source, he would remember what it was to better help his efficiency when tracking in the future.

Bright clothes weren't good, as even someone who had no experience could see bright colors in the dark. A pair of socks later, he was fully dressed and then started to catalog every scent in earnest until he had stored all the scents he came across in his mind.

After deciding to head out, he opened the door silently, moving at a snail's pace to not make any sounds, and soon the door was open wide enough for him to slip out and he did.

Standing on the sidewalk, Wynn could smell the spilled zombie blood and some human blood, probably his own. The zombies who had been cut to pieces were still there, bodies beginning to rot. 

Although he had experienced the feeling of being eaten alive by zombies, he felt no aggression towards them aside from a sense of disdain now, as if they were too useless to gain his notice.

"I need a car..." Even though he wouldn't tire, he didn't feel it realistic because anything could happen on the way over. If he reached the base, he wouldn't be able to explain how he made it on foot either.

Sadly, most cars were stuck in traffic from the initial chaos, making finding a car that could be driven even harder because getting out of the pile of cars was nigh on impossible.

He sniffed the air and found a few lingering scents of zombies and entered a nearby shop looking for a pair of shades. Unless he gave up on moving during the day, he would be severely limited.

Luckily, after checking two small shops, he found a relatively nice pair that cupped his face and hoped it would mitigate the light during the day.

A city full of obstacles lay between him and the base, and even though the base was a day away, the detours and not traveling within the city would increase it to more than that.

Currently, he was on the outskirts of the city, and he guessed that the zombies wandered inwards while any sane people lucky enough to escape would stay clear of it.

He relaxed his muscles and headed back outside, and burst into motion. His instant acceleration caused him to smile unknowingly even as his steps were silent.

Several blocks later, he found himself a bike and stopped next to it, but recalling the sensitive hearing of zombies, they would likely pick up on the sound of it.

He rushed forward again, this time hopping to a car's roof, then to a second story porch, and with a nimble motion, he pulled himself up and climbed to the roof.

"I'm so hungry my stomach feels like it's on fire." He jumped four meters to another roof, and somehow knew his limit without using a running start was at most five meters.

He covered enough ground in a few minutes that he had come across many scents, all zombies or different things blown over in the breeze.

After moving a few more minutes forward, he sniffed again and a faint but mouthwatering smell that made his teeth clench together nearly had him pursuing the trail mindlessly.

When he woke up, the smell was similar, but it was overwhelmed by zombie scents so he didn't nearly lose his control. He knew while zombies ate humans, strictly speaking, they ate everything that they could find.

If not for the previous encounter with the fading scent, he wouldn't have known exactly what lay at the end of this trail. Wynn clenched his fists and looked down in a bit of surprise.

His fingers were normal, but a quick thought came and his nails extended into sharp points. Swallowing a mouthful of saliva, he dropped down to the ground, wincing when he made a slight muffled sound.

If all Venators followed their instincts, which they almost certainly did, they would have a near obsession with remaining silent. It wasn't to say he couldn't make noise, but on the hunt silence was key, and he agreed with them.

His eyes glanced over a few zombies wandering around, those nearest catching his scent and began to shamble away while those farther away shambled over until they got a whiff of his scent.

5