Chapter Four : Infiltration
52 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After crossing several streets, he was a bit shocked on how keen his nose was, but he didn't slow and kept moving. He moved past two Runners, one of which followed until it caught his scent.

"A gymnasium?" Wynn silently moved through the dark abandoned cars towards a building on a university campus with more than seventy zombies milling about outside, some standing in a daze next to the metal doors.

"This is why you can't hide because if they catch your scent, they won't leave unless they catch another one or the scent fades." It was said online when the internet still worked to never lure them somewhere you would be trapped because they would definitely wait you to death.

He crept forward, his knees slightly bent and his fingers spread in a vague approximation of claws, but the ends of his fingers were truly sharp.

The zombies up ahead were in various spots, some still and others shambling about. He crept past them, smiling a bit when the nearest zombies backed away with low grunts.

The scent of humans was faint, but he could somehow feel that on the others side of the wall, prey was waiting for him. Of course, he didn't want to eat anyone because he was human before, but he wouldn't let himself be attacked without retaliating.

A quick glance showed a few buildings connected to the gymnasium and rushed over and found an entrance. Even if the doors were locked, although his strength wasn't at the level of a Vindicator, he was still pretty strong.

With a twist, he broke the lock and slipped inside, pulling it closed behind him. These buildings connected to the gymnasium were undoubtedly dangerous for humans, so Wynn decided to sneak in and scope it out.

Ignoring the feeling of wanting to hunt and kill prey, he decided that entering the base alone would be standing out, so he wanted to find a few people to help lessen the attention that would come his way.

Inside was warm, but the feeling didn't matter much. Zombies complete disregard for temperature was a mystery that no one could explain.

Moving between empty desks and tables, he realized this room served as s a storage, and moving through it silently, he snapped another lock and entered the gymnasium.

Luckily, he entered the room at a corner and saw that although there were a few people holding a random improvised weapons, he saw two people in security uniforms and a police officer.

After staring, he decided to not put himself in danger and looked to the second floor. Unlike the bathrooms here, he could smell that there were more humans upstairs. 

Retracing his steps, he put on the shades and found an empty room with the faint smell of both humans and zombies and found a box filled with face masks used in a neatly settled pandemic before society collapsed.

His tongue slid along his teeth, feeling the sharpness and wondered how he hadn't cut his tongue yet. Zombies had teeth like humans except they were sharper, while both Venators and Vindicators had teeth like daggers, lethal and deadly.

After glancing at the blurry reflection in the glass window, Wynn snuck back out and wandered around the gymnasium, sticking to the shadows.

When he reached the brightly lit stairwell, he sighed and retreated. Although he could be considered inhumanly adept at sneaking and tracking, it could only go so far if he entered a brightly lit area.

Luckily, it seemed the occupants weren't worried about a zombie getting inside without causing a commotion, so after a few minutes, he dashed up the stairwell when the person nearby turned away.

With his senses, the smell of humans was overpowering, and the sounds of footsteps and voices, even though they were hushed whispers made him smile beneath his facemask.

The hallways were empty, but the sound of voices and the smell of people told Wynn where exactly people were. Rooms that were occupied had a greater concentration of the smell of humans than empty rooms did.

Because the hallway was bright, his eyes narrowed and he quickly found the switch. Because the lights were bright, he doubted someone wouldn't come running if they were turned off suddenly.

Of course, killing someone did come to mind, in fact, it was his first thought. To stalk through the darkness and tear and bite until his prey was dead and devoured, but he didn't do it.

Fighting to kill and hunting someone down and killing them was different. Yes, he was hungry, but rather than kill someone who could be potentially a 'kind' person, killing someone who was 'bad' would alleviate any mental conflicts he might have.

His ears were alert and he moved like a ghost through the hallway, ducking into a small room when a door opened. Although he was fast, faster than any human could ever be, he wouldn't be able to completely escape a human's cognition unless he gave up on silence for speed.

Vindicators, even with what little was known, couldn't be locked on with human firearms because their speeds were too high to even try, and Venators who were faster could move faster than a human could see, but the fact Venators were hunters made them unwilling to do so unless they were forced.

When a young man walked passed the room while holding a shaking girl, Wynn's eyes beneath the shades turned dim. As Venators didn't use loud indiscriminate attacks like Vindicators, and even though their eyes glowed, in a hunt where such a sight could give away their position, it was suppressed to a barely noticeable degree.

"Don't worry, the government will rescue us and the world will return to normal." The young man comforted but his tone was shaky and Wynn could tell that even he didn't believe himself.

After they entered a room with double doors, Wynn slid out of the room and stalked over, his eyes scanning both directions as he stopped outside and listened for a moment, and then he hid in a room adjacent to it free from the overwhelming smell of humans.

"Thanks for coming Aaron, is everything okay?" A middle aged voice spoke as Wynn leaned against the wall, his ear gently touching it even though he could hear well enough without having to be so close.

"Yes, is there any news from the government?" The boy who Wynn assumed was Aaron answered and heard several sounds in the room that registered as people shifting their weight nervously.

"The radios are silent and we can't find any channels. If we don't try and leave soon or at least head to the cafeteria, we won't have enough energy left to do anything."

4