Chapter 16: Backlash Of War
119 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16: Backlash of War 

-----

Three knocks on a door sounded throughout the streets of Konoha. 

Two men, wearing flak jackets stood outside the door with a sympathetic gaze… a few seconds passed– and a woman opened the door. 

Her expression was one of excitement as she opened the door, however, seeing the two men; her face turned into one of worry. 

One of the men took a step forward and he glanced at the floor – not daring to look at the woman as he spoke. 

"I'm sorry to tell you this ma'am… but your husband passed away a few hours ago, on the battlefield." 

The woman froze… her lips twitched and a single tear fell from her eye; she immediately fell down and a dramatic scene poured out like some soap opera. 

All this wasn't hidden from Akio, who was currently on his way to buy some tools. 

'The backlashes of war. How many times have I seen this now? I've lost count at this point.'

This scene had been played countless times in front of him; he had more important worries than feeling sorry for this pitiful woman.

At first, he felt sorry for these kinds of situations but soon felt a certain numbness to them due to the countless times he had seen it. There were heavier things the war did, affecting Konoha. 

He strolled down the streets and saw the depressed expressions of people… the hopeful eyes of some praying inwardly that the days would blow over. There are a lot more homeless people nowadays due to the increased prices… it just felt… numb – numb seeing these people and numb for others too. 

Everyone was too focused on their own safety; their own well-being to care about others' situations… including Aiko himself. Even he, who expected this, felt extreme worry about something. It loomed in his mind throughout these weeks ever since the academy days had started. 

Seeing all this pity… this sadness and depression made him wonder about something. 

Hagiro – this body's father. 

He was a shinobi… not a patriarch of a clan anymore so there was a chance he had to be enlisted in this war.

'Sigh, I had good times with that old man. Even though he wasn't my real father; he taught me a lot of stuff.' 

In the worst-case scenario – Hagiro got enlisted, and the only thing he could do was hope for him to come back safe. 

Akio never had power over anything… This determined him even more. 

'I wasn't expecting to have some kind of sentimental feeling in this god-forsaken world. But it seems natural I feel gratitude to that guy.' 

He just hoped that Hagiro didn't get sent off to war.

"Is that all you'd like, kid?" the cashier in front of him said – now putting all the tools in a bag 

Akio replied, "Yes, thank you."

He had finished picking up his tools and paid a decent amount of ryo before leaving the shop. 

He was on his way back home, treading through shortcuts as he saw the crowded shops with a large queue lined up in front. This was his first time experiencing the byproduct of war as he lived in peaceful times back on earth. 

The conflict was everywhere he went. People fought for all various kinds of things… food… water… over any daily necessity.

They would do anything to get it… 

Anything… 

"Ah," Akio groaned from the hands behind him– holding both his arms in a tight lock. 

A girl in front of him immediately snatched the bag from his hand… but his instinct gripped it tightly. 

Akio had a dark gaze in his eyes… 

She held a struggling expression – the next one turned into fear as she saw Akio back-kick her helper – sending him a few metres away. 

Akio saw his attacker was a teenager and didn't stop there as he started punching the defenceless teen on the floor with no mercy.

"Stop! Please!" the teenage girl yelled as she ran in front of him, trying to pull him off. 

She didn't expect this to happen – all they wanted was to rob an easy target to earn some coin for food – unexpectedly this boy was strong and had stopped them. Even going as far as punishing them. He was merciless, beating the boy black and blue. 

The girl was pushed off his arm whilst Akio stood back up, stopping his attack. Then, not before leaving the alleyway, he raised his leg and kicked the girl in the abdomen… she went flying sideways into some bin bags; she winced – laying dazed at what just happened. 

Not even she was spared as he patted the dust off his clothes and walked away. 

He was already on edge and this had set off his frustrations, venting his anger on that kid… inwardly he sighed – feeling a bit reprimanded for going that far but it didn't mean he was sorry. They had it coming sooner or later… just like he did – they suffered consequences for their actions. 

Akio cheated on his girlfriend – karma struck him and he died. They tried robbing a six-year-old boy – they got a beating for it. Every action has consequences – big or small. 

'Maybe this would teach them a lesson to pick their target carefully.' 

He wasn't angry they were thieves, but they stole from him… he didn't care about others; he wasn't some saint who would see thievery as a bad action. They were simply doing what they had to… earning money. 

He just was a bit more emotional than usual that he acted out in this way. 

'It's this shitty war…'

—---

The state of the village gradually decreases – day by day – whilst Akio just carries on doing his usual routine. 

**

**

**

A/N: sorry for late upload, you guys can go to webnovel. I update their daily but forget to do it here sometimes. 

6