Chapter 4 Departure
70 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

The night slowly started to fade and the sun started to rise and illuminate the plains in her lights. Only when the sun had fully risen did the guests of the Red Oni Inn awake from their slumber. They had overslept. The lack of birds singing in the morning and comfortable bed in a long time ensured that they slept longer than they wanted. One could say oversleeping whilst on a journey to fight a Demonlord is a grave mistake. A mistake that could potentially cost hundreds ore thousands of lives. In this case however it was no mistake. The Demonlord had yet to start his campaign for domination and they were days ahead in their travel, due to the fact that they decided to travel through the plains instead of around. If nothing significant were to happen they would even arrive earlier at their destination than they needed to.

After having woken up they packed their things and moved into the hall. There they were greeted by the sight of Erin who was preparing dinner. Due to the lack of ingredients she possessed, Erin was unable to make a typical breakfast instead she had prepared a dinner which posed as a breakfast. She had made a potato thick potato stew with pieces of potatoes and meat seasoned with the few herbs she grew in her garden. Alongside she served the same watery juice from yesterdays dinner.

The stew is not as bland as yesterdays dinner but the juice is the same.” (Henry)

I followed your advice and tried to make it better. However I can’t make another juice.” (Erin)

Thank you very much for your effort.” (Charles)

They ate in silence not really having to say something important. The three cherished the stew with the entirety of their hard as it would be the last decedent food for the next few days if they don’t find any wildlife. After they had finished Erin brought the used tableware in the kitchen before returning with a wooden box.

This box contains some of my dried meat I thought you could use some variety in your travel meals.” (Erin)

You’re a godsend Erin! I will forever be grateful to you Erin! (Bara)

Thank you very much.” (Charles)

Thank you.” (Henry)

The moment Erin had said this Bara took the wooden box holing it like it was a treasure of immense worth. Seeing her reaction brought a smile on everybodies face. With their meal finished and everything packed they all went to the stables where the horses waited.

There they began to saddles the horses and put on their armor before storing their luggage on them. Whilst they were busy with preparing the horses, Erin stood by and watched. After the first Horse, Baras, was finished she decided to get closer and carefully pat the horse. The horse seemed to like what she was doing and encouraged her to continue by making some relaxed sounds.

What are these for horses?” (Erin)

Erin asked averting her gaze from the horse looking at Bara, but still continuing to gently patting the horse. Bara answered her without stopping her work.

They are Ferian Warhorses.” (Bara)

That sounds intimidating.” (Erin)

They are. They are strong, big and almost fearless., but their grates strength is their intelligence. It’s often easier to train one of them, than to train a dog.” (Bara)

How did you get such an impressive stead? I guess their owners aren’t to willing to give them to strangers, or are you one of them?” (Erin)

No we are not, but you are right the Ferrian knightorders hate to give away they beloved steeds. Fortunately for me, I found this old lady, when she was just a little foal and trained her myself.” (Bara)

And whats her name?” (Erin)

Irwin, the lost wind, is her name.” (Bara)

Hearing its name the Horse immediately moved its and looked at Bara, with what seemed to be joy in her eyes.

Whats with you? Do you want a treat? You old gourmet!” (Bara)

The horse neighed in joy upon hearing Baras playful voice figuring out that she was about to get a treat. Following this Bara played for a while with Irwin, with Erin watching them both. After a short amount of time Charles and Henry had finished preparing the other to horses and were ready to leave.

We are ready to leave, Bara!” (Charles)

Saying so Charles told Bara that he and Henry were finished preparing and ready to resume their travel. After a quick check of directions they started walking away from the stables and out into the plains their horses on the leash. Erin accompanied them the short distance up the small hill, that was surrounding and hiding her Inn. After they had reached the peak of the small hill they mounted their horses and bid farewell to each other.

Have a save journey.” (Erin)

Please be cautious, for a while. Remember there is a chance that Demons have followed us.” (Bara)

Don’t worry. I won’t antagonize them. I will show them the same hospitality I have shown you.” (Erin)

I have yet to face Demons, so I can’t say how strong they are. Prioritize your own safety before fighting them.” (Bara)

I promise I will run before it gets to dangerous if they attack.” (Erin)

I will come back once this all is settled.” (Bara)

How nice of you! If you do so could you bring some spices and seeds for me?” (Erin)

I will. Now then goodbye until we meet again!” (Bara)

Farewell! (Charles)

Goodbye” (Henry)

With this they parted ways. Bara, Henry and Charles resumed their journey and traveled on. Erin stayed on the peak of the small hill until they had vanished behind another hill and she couldn't see them anymore. Only then did she turn around and go back to her Inn, rerouting once again to her leisurely lifestyle. This time however she didn't wait for her first customers instead she started to wait for the return of her newfound old friend.

Are you sure she can handle herself? I mean she said shes just a half baked mage.” (Henry)

Don’t worry she can handle herself. I am only worried about the Demons strength.” (Bara)

Also remember that she scarred Wyverns away from her Inn.” (Charles)

Right, I forgot. I hope I was worrying for nothing.” (Henry)

They continued their travel through the plains. As it had been before so was it now. Nothing happened. The plains truly were empty to an uncanny degree. They met next to no wildlife or monster. Only occasionally did they meet a stray bird, who seemed to lost more than anything. They continued their travel for to more uneventful days. On the early evening of the second day they started to see signs of reaching the edges of the plains. Ever so slowly the trees started to become more and more numerous starting to forming small patches of greenery. Even the wildlife became more and more numerous. Slowly did the emptiness of the plains fade away.

__________________________________________________________________________________

There is something ahead. Behind the hill.”

I informed Charles and Henry of the ping from my sixth sense. Both immediately stiffed up preparing themselves for battle. I could feel every lifeform around me, but this one ahead of me was different. It was a monster, a rather dangerous at that. Dangerous enough that my sixth sense went off. However it just went of and informed me that there is something worth mentioning and not warning me of any danger. Sadly I couldn’t tell what it was. I couldn’t fully categories what it was. I had a felling that it was a reptile of sorts, but definitely no Dragon or Wyvern.

I guess I could only wait and see. Maybe its dangerous enough that we have to kill it for the safety of the villages around here if there are any. I mentally prepared myself for battle which only took a fraction of a second.

When we reached the top of the small hill we finally got a view on the monster and it noticed us.

Bows! I take it out.”

The moment I saw it I yelled the command for Charles and Henry. They didn't need my commands anymore, but I did so anyway. It was an old habit, I had problems letting go of. At least it wasn’t a demerit to our strength.

The monster a massive Landwyvern hissed at us the moment it saw us. Shortly after it was hit in the head by arrows from both Charles and Henry. This prompted it to loudly growl at them and charge at them. Ignoring me completely.

With the aid of their warhorses they managed to stay out of reach of the Landwyvern and continued to shoot it with their arrows to the head. The Landwyvern, more or less an extremely over sized green salamander with spikes all over its body, opened his mouth. Unsuccessfully trying to reach and bite one of them. All it got from its tries were arrows stuck to the inside of its mouth.

So far so good. The Landwyvern was completely distracted by my knights that I was capable of circling around it without being attacked. I just needed to find the right moment to attack and kill it in one blow.

The chance came quicker then I thought, when it stopped to change its directions in order to chase after Henry.

Using this chance I jumped from Irwin propelling myself in the air using the ability sky step.

Arsenal: Axe!”

Suddenly a mighty battleaxe appeared in my raised hands. Using my momentum in the air and some slight movement I adjusted my fall so I could split the Landwyverns head cleanly in two.

Unexpected however the Landwyvern noticed my and its impending doom and moved its head away.

Shit”

Suddenly the Landwyvern was hit by strong blast of wind blasting its head back in line of my swing. It took the sudden chance and submerged my axe in its head. Splitting its head in its left and right side. Blood and Brain splattered every way, when my axe cut through its scales and skull in a disgusting crunching sound, killing the Landwyvern immediately.

Once I had hit the ground alongside the two halves of the head of the Landwyvern, both Henry and Charles hurried over to me. I ignored them and all the blood that was on me. I was more interest from where the sudden blast of wind came.

Without the shadow of a doubt it was wind magic. However it was casted from a distant far enough that I didn't notice it when it was casted. I looked in the direction from where the blast came and sure enough on the top of a hill there was a red dot surrounded by the green of the plains.

The red dot started moving towards us slowly growing bigger before vanishing behind a hill only to appear on the other said much bigger reveling itself to be Erin. Erin ran through the plains rapidly approaching us only to slow down to walk the last ten meters towards us.

Erin!? What happened? I thougt you wanted to stay at your Inn?”

I worriedly asked.

 

experimenting with first point of view

4