Chapter 9 unexpected bookstore
41 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unexpectedly we entered a bookshop. A cramped place filled to the brim with books. Every shelf or table space was filled with books. Even on some places on the ground books were staked on top of each other.

The entirety of the shop was dimly lit by flying orbs of light. It was surreal. I have never seen so many books in one place. The only place to surpass the amount of books that is here is the royal library. This place is even more unreal if you consider the fact that this is a bookstore in a time when books are valued in gold.

I am curious how a shop like this came to exist and how it keeps itself save.

How did you find your way in this shop?” (Old man)

From the back of the shop an old man emerged. His hair hat turned completely gray and he looked old. But not grandpa old more like aged past his prime. His clothes were well kept and off higher quality than a commoner would have.

We found the shop through its strange signature.” (Erin)

Oh your mages. I see. Well now that you have found it: Welcome in my bookstore. You are allowed to shop here as long as you behave yourself.” (Old man)

I took the old mans words as approval that I was allowed to roam free in the shop.

Is the barrier by any chance an anti fire barrier?” (Erin)

Yes!? How did you find out!?” (Old man)

I just read the signature of the barrier and compared it with the elements. Based on the elements that are part of the barrier and what it is guarding I theorized that it is an anti fire barrier.” (Erin)

You must be a pretty talented to see a barrier so detailed. But how did an Oni like you become a mage?” (Old man)

To prove a point.” (Erin)

Did it work?” (Old man)

Better than I ever could imagine” (Erin)

But you have to explain me one thing. In all the books I read it is noted that Oni don’t posses the capabilities to become mages. Yet you stand before me. The books say Oni don’t posses magic rendering them incapable to become mages.”

The books aren’t really wrong. Oni are terribly ill suited to become mages, but they still posses a small amount of magic. Oni mages just like me can exist, but we are exceedingly rare and often weak.” (Erin)

Fell free to look around” (Old man)

Whilst Erin and the old man were talking I went around the shop and looked at the many different books. The majority of the books were historical or educational. The story of a country, the life of an important person, information about a time period, accounts of wars and battles, manifests of different religions or encyclopedias or collections of knowledge. The most interesting books however, were the few proper story books I could find hidden amongst all the other books. “Earthen Mother”, The red Sun”, “Salamander” were the most interesting books. There were some other interesting books to for example a religious book about a sun deity. The vast majority of these books were romance books between nobles. Books completely detached from the commoners life and filled with unreal desires and thoughts. When I opened one of the books just to peek if it was good, I was greeted with a much to well described scene of deeply questionable non child free content. Sadly me and the author didn’t share the same taste, so I put it back from where I got it.

I continued walking around the shop. Sometimes stopping to examine a book with an interesting title. The owner didn’t seem to mind that I sometimes read more than a passages and then put the book back on the shelf.

I took my time looking at every nook and cranny this store has to offer, to not miss any books. Erin didn’t bother me once, while I was busy. Whenever I stumbled across her, I saw her rummaging through the shelves just like me. After a while she had a book floating behind her. And I have to carry mine around the old way, with two hands. Mages have it easy.

After some time I had finished my tour through the store and met up with Erin, who was also finished at the counter. Behind her was a small collection of books floating around. We placed all the books we intended to buy on the counter. It was quite the stack of books.

I took out my pouch and showed the old man some gold coins, so that he won’t worry about us having not enough money to pay.

Is it okay for you that you buy books for me?” (Erin)

I don’t mind. Money will never be a problem and I can just read your books myself. I know that you have a good taste.”

The old man looked at every book individually before calculating the price.

Lilies under the Moon. A good book the author knows how to write, but not my taste.” (Old man)

He gave a comment to almost every book. We had pilled on his counter. As if he had read them all. I hope for his sanity that he didn’t read all those boring historical books.

Ah Tales off the Ashenwatcher! If you like it you should keep your eyes open for more. The author has written a lot. I think they are still alive and writing so keep your eyes open.” (Old man)

He continued onward giving his comments to every book. When he reached the last book he fell silent for a moment and looked at the book.

Royal archivist Geril: A guide about Elysian. I hope you didn’t buy it because you need it. Elysian are the embodiment of the unstoppable object.” (Old man)

Don’t worry. Elysian are a topic that interests me deeply. So I simply had to buy the book the moment I saw it.” (Bara)

If that is the case, you should look out for Gerils works. He is more or less the only one who wrote books about Elysian. All the other books are either copies of his, or just historical books about the actions of Elysian's. HE was the only one who approached Elysian as a researcher.” (Old man)

Is there anything else I should know about him?” (Bara)

Yes. If you see a work of his acquire it if you can. His works are rare and there are only a few copies. But you are lucky currently his works are rather cheap. After all the last time an Elysian wandered this world was before my birth.” (Old man)

Thanks for the advice. How much are the books?” (Bara

The old man got a box out, based on its sound filled with spare change. Then he opened the old thick book on the counter and started writing in it. Recording what he sold and the prize.

You owe me one medium gold.” (Old man)

After a quick search in my pouch I handed him one medium gold coin over.

A Ferian one. My they have quite some worth here.” (Old man)

He looked knowingly at me. I guess he figured my identity out. Red hear and eyes, a gold ranked adventurer and a Ferian gold coin. There is only one person that fits the description and that is me. He didn’t seem to interested in me, despite knowing now knowing my identity. He seemed to be more interested in Erin, given that he eyed her more than me.

Alright thanks for the books. We’re leaving.” (Bara)

Wait, before you go may I ask the lady one final question?” (Old man)

You may.” (Erin)

Since you are an Oni can you enlighten me on this. In the various books Oni and Ogre are described as twin species. I never could really believe this, especially now that I know after what you have told me about Oni mages.” (Old man)

On this the books are right.” (Erin)

Erin said and reached in the sleeve of her kimono to bring forth a copper coin before continuing.

Oni and Ogre are like this coin. Made out of the same materials, the same origins. But two different sides. However Infinity separated like the two sides of a coin are by the edge. Oni and Ogre may have the same Origins and may be similar in abilities, but they are still distinctively two things. Although similar in appearance you can always know if they are Oni or Ogre. Ogre are the slightly stronger ones, a bit more compact and brutish. The Oni are slightly more dexterous and agile.” (Erin)

So Oni and Ogre are almost the same, but distinctively not.” (Old man)

Yes but never tell them that or they will lynch you.” (Erin)

I will keep that in my mind. Farewell and thanks for you patronage.” (Old man)

And so we finally left the bookstore. I gave the books to Erin, who quickly let them disappear into her sleeve. When we got out we also noticed how long we had been in the bookstore. The sun was in its last stages of setting behind the horizon. The small alleyways, were almost completely covered in the dark now, only slightly lit up by the light from the main streets.

We should go back to our stay. Can’t let Charles and Henry wait for to long.” (Bara)

Sure. Lets go.” (Erin)

Do you want to go via the roofs.” (Bara)

Sure, but why?” (Erin)

I don’t have the energy left to go through the crowds,… especially at night.” (Bara)

We quickly went on the roof of the bookstore. Climbing up was an easy task thanks to the incredible uneven wall, which made it easy to find hand and footholds. Once we arrived on top of the store I put up the hood of my cloak. I don’t want anybody to see me face, whilst I’m running on top of Ironwall’s roofs. If someone, who recognizes sees me I will have to endure, way to many pointless questions. Erin followed suit by turning herself transparent.

That's creepy.” (Bara)

Why?” (Erin)

Your a living breathing Oni and yet your are see through and barley visible. It’s just wrong.” (Bara)

Aha” (Erin)

Erin didn’t seem to be creep t out be her current appearance. If I didn’t know better I would have attempted to walk through her.

Lets go.” (Bara)

And of we went. The roofs flew past us becoming blurred. Still we couldn’t go as fast as we wanted. The roofs were just to irregular. Different heights, gaps between the houses and objects in our way demanded a constant attention. We couldn’t go a few steps, without needing to jump or climb to circumvent an obstacle. This kind of parkour got me fired up. I couldn’t stop myself from doing somersaults and the like whenever I could. Erin on the other hand just ran along only shaking her head, whenever our eyes met during my airtime.

We reached the Inn quicker than id like. With on final jump I catapulted myself in the air. I could fell the moment I had reached the peak of my flight, before I started to fall down. The feeling of freedom in this short moments of flight was just incredible. Diving headfirst to the ground just to turn yourself around in the last moment before you hit the ground is just the best.

The Sun still wasn’t completely behind the horizon. Unlike me Erin didn’t descent from the roofs next to Charles and Henry. Instead she opted to appear graceful from a side way, like a proper lady. Completely disregarding the fact that she ran alongside me on the roofs.

How was your day? Did you find something interesting?” (Charles)

Yes we found a bookstore. And you?” (Bara)

A bookstore!? We only found some good places to eat.” (Henry)

How are the books there and the prices?” (Charles)

Pretty good. Shall I guide you there tomorrow?” (Bara)

That would be much appreciated.” (Charles)

Lets go in the Inn. I grave a good bath and a bed.” (Bara)

2