Chapter 14 Meeting in the dark
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The room was like any other room, extravagant to the brim. I feared that I might go blind from all the extravagance. The centerpiece of the room was a large round table, made of white marble and decorated with a purple tablecloth ornamented with golden threats.

Sitting around the table, where a few men and two woman. Obviously the were heroes, like me in their best parade clothes. Each one of us had a unique look and stile most likely corresponding to our role on the field. Only around half of the seats where currently in use, the other half was empty.

One chair located on the window side in a straight line from the door, was a regal throne. It was empty. The king would most likely greet us, when we all are together. After all the mightiest comes last and the lower await their presence.

We sat down on the next place, where for chairs in a row were unoccupied. Henry next to Charles, who sits next to Erin, who is on my right side. Leon placed himself on my left side. Although we only know us for a few minutes it is better to sit next to two complete strangers.

One thing that made me happy is the fact that there is only one ring of seats surrounding the table. In other words all the attendants, of this meeting except for the king were equals.

With time the other seats filled up. Each time when the door opened a new name was announced and a new face entered the room. I didn’t bother memorizing their names. I didn’t know them enough. All the time we waited nobody spoke it was just silence. Only disturbed by the newly arrived.

The atmosphere was relaxed but nobody had their guard completely down. Each and everybody had their weapon on hands reach. Except for Erin, mages do not necessarily need a staff or similar if they are skilled enough.

We were now fully assembled, when the number of seats is correct. Including Erin and me, we are eight women and twenty nine men. A surprisingly divers group of heroes. I often had been the only woman around in the mercenary institutions back in Ferian. Besides Erin and me there was only one other non human, an Elven mage or druid, who looked like he was in his thirties. Add a zero at the back and it will probably be closer to his real age.

We sat there in silence. Nobody willing to be the first to speak. Everybody awaiting the owner of the throne like chair, which was the last empty one.

We had to wait at least one hour. I hate nobles etiquette. The mightiest come last, if the king were an Elysian I would die from old age before he would arrive.

The door opened. Finally! I could feel how a collective sigh, went through us all. Of course silent, we didn’t want to offend his highness.

First two sentinels entered. Clad in a white armor with golden rim, equipped with greatshield and sword. They were the spitting image of the word royal sentinel. Heavy armored, threatening yet regal. You simply knew, by looking at them that the only way they would fail in doing their duty was by dying first. There was no doubt in my mind that they could hold their own in a fight against a hero.

Slowly they walked through the door and then split up going from each side of towards the throne. Reaching the throne the placed themselves right and left of it slightly behind, shields and sword ready to act on the smallest acts of aggression.

Then an attendant entered the room placing himself on the right side side of the door. He didn’t look like a butler or commoner. He was a noble, high ranking enough to have the privilege of being his highness announcer.

His royal highness King Argarn Esphalt Drachentod the IV King of Eclan, King of Sar, Archduke of Casm and inheritor of the Plains.”

After announcing the King he moved further inward into the room, towards the wall so that he couldn’t be standing in his highness way.

The the king entered the room. He was dressed in lavish red and white clothes, befitting a king. His most striking feature was his reseeding hairline.. The rest of him looked average. He had a neutral and regal look on his face, a pokerface. Its obvious that he is displeased with out behavior.

Noble etiquette demands that all bow before a king and commoners do so by going down on their knees. We heroes definitely had commoners amongst us, like me who should be knelling when his highness appears. Yet we didn’t. The only thing we did was raising from our seats after he had entered and standing there silently. Heroes don’t like to wait for a petty noble, even if its a king. Thus this is all the courtesy he gets.

The king only showed us his pokerface, he was to much of a professional to be visible upset by this. Confidently he stepped into the room and walked straight ahead. Shortly behind him were two more royal sentinels.

Before he reached the table, the space in the room suddenly warped, splitting the table in two and revealing a straight path to his throne. We to got shifted away with the warping of the room.

The king didn’t stop or adjust his walking speed instead he just walked along, closely followed by his two royal sentinels. A king doesn’t wait, all wait for him. A king walks straight ahead, everything part way to let him through no matter its state. A kings authority is absolute, everything resolves around him, He is the sun in the center of a solar system.

And an Elysian is a blackhole, unseen and the end once you are entrapped within their reach. I couldn't help, but to draw this comparison. I definitely have read a bit to much about Elysian in the last few days, but the book is simply written to good.

The King finally reached his throne and sat down like a true monarch would. How often did he repeat it until he got the royal descend onto the throne perfect? His two royal sentinels positioned themselves slightly in front of his throne, on both sides.

He stretched his hand out and then moved it down allowing us to sit down in his presence. We followed his command without delay, nobody was willing to stand during this whole ordeal.

After a short while the king took a deep breath and started to talk.

It is an honor to us to announce the beginning of the meeting of the heroes in our glorious Eclan Kingdom that we rule. Let us debate on the matter of the eminent danger that the vile demons and their monstrous followers pose. You heroes we hereby order you to forge tactics and plans to defeat the enemies of mankind and gods.”

Having said that the King fell silent. We all clapped out of courtesy. The king just declared that we will partake in the war against the demons, completely dismissing the original reason for the meeting. A gathering for the heroes to discuss how to proceed and not to invade the Demons lands.

I didn’t come all the way here, just to regroup and march on in the Demons territory. I doubt that all of the other heroes wanted to invade the Demons lands as well.

After having delivered his rather short speech the king rose once again from his throne. This prompted the room once again to warp so that he had a straight path towards door. He elegantly strode towards the door, escorted by his for guards leaving the room and us behind.

After he had left the room warped back in his original form. Getting warped around multiple times in a row is no pleasant experience.

Now we are back alone in the room. Just a group of heroes who came here. An awkward silence and nobody seems to have the courage to make the first move. Funny considering that we are all heroes, indomitable warriors featured in legends.

I don’t intend to speak up. I just came here to observe and then move based on their reasoning and decision.

Finally one of the heroes decided to break the silence and start the meeting.

I guess I have to be the one to lead this conversation. Who objects?”

Nobody objected. Erin made herself more comfortable on her seat and pulled a fan out of her sleeve.

I see your silence as agreement. No then who is actually her to fight the Demons, and who is here just because they are interested.”

It got pretty clear that the majority of us heroes were here just because they heart that the other heroes were all going to gather here. The majority of us wasn’t to keen on invading their territory or partaking in an all out war.

But we agreed on one thing the demons were on the move. I also found out that we weren’t the only ones to have been tailed by demons. Some of the magician and thief heroes found out that they were followed. We concluded that all heroes were followed, but only a part stood out.

I stood out with this I was the only hero, who was neither a thief o a magician and still found out that I was followed. What wasn’t out of the ordinary was that I engaged them in combat. The others did so too.

From what has come to light in this conversation so far, is that the demons are definitely on the move. In light of this it would be best that we too should act. Who will go with this?”

The discussion got more and more participants as the heroes started to warm up to each other. The direction of the discussion was also clear and uncontested. No one was eager to wage war, but recognized that the Demons were and that we had to do something about it. And there is the problem none of us had and ideal idea on how to go about this.

We weren’t taking it to serious .The Demons are for sure a danger, but we have time. The last reports I read about the Demons indicated that they were still in the process of raising their army. Raising not training. It would take them some time until they can start to march.

Enough time for the humans to raise their armies. Although I don’t want a war to break out for the sake of the common folk and inhabitants of the Kingdom, I am riled up by the thought of charging into the demons lines alongside the knight orders of the Ferian Kingdom.

Being in a battle is just the best. Fighting hordes of enemy's, each one out to kill you. Surrounded by them in a field died in red. The iron stench of flesh, the pain of fresh injuries. Every muscle of your body screaming at you to stop. Yet enemy hordes ar still coming at you. Each one of them a danger in their own right. I can’t help, but to smile at this thought.

The topic of the conversation had changed during the time I was spaced out. No they were talking about the heroic deeds of the Hero Maricus. I should join in, just like me he had also slain a Wyvern and became a hero through this.

Erin has been sitting this all out, quietly listening to the discussion and later the stories, but never partaking in them. Nobody did seem to care about her. They ignored her like they did with the rest of the heroes who just listened.

Heroes have to much experience, that they would hate someone just because of their origin. They have traveled far and seen much. Enough to learn that the stories they heard are not always true.

Erin opened her fan. Hiding her face behind it. I was behind my chair, before my thoughts followed me suit. Then the magicians reacted.

The wall exploded launching the throne and debris through the room. Demons entered the room through the open wall. Only to be blasted out by the hastily casted wind spells by the magicians.

The quick handed of us charging after them, weapon ready. Then I followed taking my blade with me. Before I completely left the room I was hit by a bunch of quickly cast strengthening spells.

I charged alongside the other warriors in the battle. Once we reached the I dragged my blade over the ground and swung it up. Releasing a cloud of dust.

The thieves, currently engaged, retreated making place for us, the front line warriors. Leon jumped behind me knives out and his eyes filled with the glint of a killer.

I swung my blade at the demon Leon was engaged with. He effortlessly blocked it, but not Leon's

knife that came flying.

The demon staggered a few steps backwards the knife still deep in his chest. I used this opportunity to ready my blade and behead him. Cutting his head of with one single horizontal swing.

Looking around I could see that the rest of the heroes had also entered the battle. The tanks and magicians.

Erin also cam along, supporting Henry and Charles with spells. The demons were in a tight spot. The hunters were now the hunted.

Before I could regroup with my friends I was tackled by another Demon. Sending me flying He was taller than me, and a mountain of muscles. Before I landed he grabbed my leg and threw me away.

I hit the ground like a ragdoll. Tumbling around before I finally stopped, laying on my back. The demon jumped after me, ready to split me in half with his sword.

Or blades met spark flying. He pinned me down on the ground pressing his blade onto mine slowly overpowering me. Holding onto my blade with all my might I saved myself from getting crushed. I keep him in place not giving him an inch for free.

Suddenly he gasped in pain and his power loosened allowing me to push his blade aside and get up.

The Demons back is littered with littered with small spikes made of stone. Turning his back into that of a hedgehogs. I put him out of his misery by cutting his head of with my sword.

I gave a thumps up to Erin who was to one to save me and jump of into the fray once more.

The battle ended sooner than I thought. The Demons crumbled under our counterattack. It seems that they either overestimated themselves or underestimated us. To further point this out, we heroes all had just some light bruises if any. Our magician for example are completely unharmed. The Demons on the other hand, were laying in a sea of their own blood and guts.

So what now? I would have liked it, if there was a demon still alive, so that we could interrogate them”

Yeah we kinda overdid it. Huh.”

Is there still a demon alive?”

Not here, but maybe the others, who are chasing the ones that run away let one of them alive”

I hope so.”

Oh… right!!! I only knocked the Oni out maybe we can interrogate her?”

Amongst the Demons, who attacked us there were also two Oni. Apparently one of them got knocked out and not killed like the rest of the Demons. The other I don’t know, maybe laying somewhere here or on the run.

_________________________________POV Erin________________________________________

We found the Oni quicker than I thought. Finding the only intact body in this bloodbath turned out to be rather easy.

They brought her to me probably because I am an Oni, thinking I know how to handle her. I suspect that they left the Oni simply alive, because I to was an Oni. Some sort of twisted feeling of guild.

For all I care they could have killed them to. Oni that sided with the Demons just because of their similar heritage are nothing more than roaches to me.

But there were right with one thought. I can definitely make them talk.

First and foremost you have to make sure that your subject is in a perfect physical condition. Having them pass out indefinitely during your questioning is suboptimal.

First I casted a healing spell on her. The sigil lit up and after I chanted the word Heal, a green light enveloped the Oni. Moving up and down closing the countless cuts, removing the bruises and moving the broken arm in the anatomical right position.

The sudden pain from a bone being moved back in its original place, jolts her awake. She gasped for air, her breath unsteady and her heart beating like crazy. I could feel her blood pulsating through her veins. She was running purely on adrenaline.

Fun fact it is not common knowledge that healing spells hurt a lot, when they are forced to repair bones, nerves and your open insides. That's why doctors are still a thing despite magic being available. According to Bara those, who use healing magic are often borderline masochistic.

Well I am a magician so I don’t reals get hurt often. Before my ...erm... victim could have any thoughts of defiance against me, I grabbed her by her left horn and lifted her up.

She screamed in pain. An ugly scream, full of pain, she sounded more like an animal than an Oni. The horns of an Oni are sensible after all and being lifted up on one horn, seems to be painful.

I took a second to completely take her appearance in. I hadn’t seen another Oni besides me since 50 years or so.

Pathetic.”

She simply was pathetic. If this was an average Oni I wouldn’t mind I they would exterminate them. Standing at my full height I simply had my arm out stretched and only slightly upwards so that I could see her face clearly. She was smaller than my by at least a hand and her horns were barely half as big as mine. I couldn’t even see her Oni teeth protruding from her mouth.

A pathetic excuse of an Oni. Where I was from a proper Oni would be taller then me height and horns, their teeth proudly protruding from their mouth. I am an Oni magician, my stature got me often mistaken for a teenager, back home.

And this Oni in my hand was clearly a fully grown up. No mistake. Pathetic. I hope she is an anomaly among the Oni.

Now how should I question her best. I need the right answers fast. Normally one shows their victim despair and then a golden threat towards salvation. And this threat is often giving the answers to the questions. After that the victim doesn’t matter anymore. This process normally takes some time, but right this moment I had no patience and limited time.

But first the most important thing. I grabbed her head with my other hand securing her in place.

Then with a quick movement I break of one of her horns.

She let out an animalistic scream of pain before falling silents, having lost her consciousness.

Before I could let her down the other heroes came back. Carrying a the other Oni with them and he was conscious. How fortunate.

I droped my victim down, to earn his attention. Then I slowly walked towards him. Making sure to show him two things. A serene smile and my hand covered in blood holding the broken of horn of the Oni.

His face instantly went pale, his eyes lost all will of fighting. Fear dominated his expression. The moment his face changed we had won. The hero, who brought him realized my intentions and threw him towards me. As if this Oi was a slab of meat thrown towards a lioness to feed her.

He was so absorbed in fear that he didn’t even realize that he was in no ones grasp for a moment. He could have run away if he could think straight.

I lifted him up just like the Oni before him. He was to scarred to make a sound, despite being in hellish pain.

Answer all our questions and I won’t break both of your horns.”

Pr...Pro...Promise…?”

Of course. I promise on my two heavenly horns.”

He was scarred shitless. Worst of all he was similar in statue to the other Oni. Pathetic. I hoped that thy both were an exception to the rule.

He answered all our questions in stammering and whimpering. He didn’t seem to be lying throughout the whole interrogation. Whenever I accused him of lying and squeezed his horn a bit more, he pleaded that he said the truth whilst crying like a baby.

We learned through his confession that they were spies and assassins send out by one of the Demongenerals. The generals name was Marin. Their task was to gather intel on the heroes and report it back to he general using magic. Their second task was to assassinate the heroes should a chance present itself.

That explained the two demons, who blew up my Inn. Somehow they came to the agreement that they could ambush and kill us during the meeting.

We also found out that the Demons had allied themselves with the Oni, Ogre, Ork, Kobolds and Goblin. The last thing he told us was their reason for all this. The Demons believed that it was their birth right to rule over Humanity. Don’t ask me how they got this demented idea.

Thank you for your cooperation as promised I won’t take both of your horns.”

I quickly broke of one of his horns and threw him to the other Oni. I made sure that I broke of the other hon. So that I had both the right and left horn of an Oni. No both my hands were covered in blood. Well I gained two splendid horns for this. There a bit short though. Can’t have it all I guess.

So in light of this new insights, who is in favor for an aggressive preemptive strike against the demons in order to stall their ambitions? Raise your hands.”

One of the heroes spoke up, he was the same one who initiated our talks. I guess he was still the “leader” of our meeting. We all raised our hands.

Agreeing to invade the demons, while standing in a sea of their blood, filled with the mutilated corpses of Demons.

I only raised my hand, because I still was eager to get my compensation for them destroying my Inn.

 

A rather long chapter

Erin's Horn collection +2 Oni horns

Funfact during writing this my writing programm sugested that I correct Kobold with Cuckold. I have no idea how it got this idea.

1