CH32 Aftermath
1k 1 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dryad Sakura's dominance over nymph Alex followed by goddess Luna's dominance over Sakura left the observers in the grove shocked.  Adding to the shock was the fact that everyone's memories were coming back.

"Well, does anyone else need some hummus?" Luna asked, looking at the dozen or so nymphs with confused expressions coming out of the edges of the glade.

Some of the nymphs took the offered hummus bread others didn't.  For the nymphs that had been that way for a long time they turned into green haired women of their original race.  The majority wanted to stay nymphs though.  A few had been nymph's so long that even with their old memories they were most comfortable being nymphs.  The fact that the life of a wastelander was much harsher than the life of a nymph played a big role.  

Kaide/Kyle also wanted to remain a nymph.  She explained that was just who she felt she was ment to be.  Kaide wanted to go back and try to connect with her parents and see if she could make things right again.

Also of note, one of the nymphs that turned back into a human man turned out to be from the same tribe that forced Alex out of his home.  He admitted that the few days of being a nymph were much better than the daily struggle to survive that was tribal life but he had a family with the tribe.  Krake was the man's name.

Alex was a little bitter than the man had a much cleaner transition back into a human than he did.  The only evidence that showed he was transformed was a streak of green hair. This also presented another problem.  The tribe chased them out of town because they wanted to steal the dungeon like bandits.  If someone went back and explained that Alex was here then would it provoke the tribe to attack the grove?  Alex wasn't feeling up to bringing up his concerns though.  The last couple days were very stressful and he just wanted to try and find some peace and rest. If this place could outlast the demon invasion it should be able to withstand some tribal warriors, hopefully.

"So, Fumi, we should get going.  Just let me dissolve your contract with Sakura and we can go back." Luna waved a hand and the wooden bars keeping the flamingo parted, giving her space to escape.

Fumi stepped out and sheepishly said, "I know I should go back but I don't want to abandon Sakura.  Please don't make me give up on my friend."

Luna hummed, "Well, we still haven't worked out your punishment yet. How about your punishment will be to take responsibility for this cold hearted dryad and see if you can successfully teach her the power of love and friendship."

The baby dryad cooed,"Ah goo goo."

"Thank you goddess Luna." Fumi bowed low, holding out her wings with her beak almost touching the ground.

Luna waved a hand dismissively.

"Hmm, I'm assuming the rest of you who want to remain nymphs wish to stay here and continue tending the lands?" Luna looked towards the nymphs that wanted to stay nymphs.

They all nodded.

One nymph spoke for the group, "We've been tending the land for so long that is who we are now.  Sakura may not be the most empathetic mistress but knowing what life was like before she took our memories doesn't change the fact that she took good care of us in her own way.  The life of a nymph is much longer than that of a human.  Without the forest's protection life would have been a lot harder."

The other nymphs added their agreement.

Luna smiled, "Very well, you can do what you want.  As you all are not magical girls it is outside my domain. Normally I wouldn't be able to interfere so directly on terre.  Hmm, maybe able isn't the right word. You know how it goes, treaties between opposing deities that forbid direct action because the direct conflicts tend to be world ending."

Luna waved her hand again. "Anyway, how are you doing Alex? Fufi said you were acting weird."

Alex grimaced, "I...I felt so useless. I've been here what, a month now? It seems like I've been going one step forward and one step back. We haven't even confronted anyone from the demon queen's faction.  For some reason I expected to get some kind of cheat skill and have nothing but success like in those isekai stories. I mean, I get that magical girls can be powerful enough that it is like they are cheating but that hasn't been me. Sometimes if I'm alone with my thoughts I can't help but ask myself if I'm a failure?"

Luna put her hand on his shoulder, "You're ok, you just need some time to process everything. I don't consider you a failure. You've made cute things and hold true to friendship, love, and justice. People that take shortcuts and compromise their values tend to end up becoming the thing they oppose."

"Yeah, but still, why did I lose so badly?" Alex asked, "I tried my best but it wasn't even slightly effective."

"Well, if you are comparing yourself to Sakura then don't.  She's been a magical girl for much longer than you.  Someone with only a couple weeks of being a magical girl can't expect to be on the same level of someone with decades of experience. Besides, Sakura is a bad example.  She put the quest over the values a magical girl should have." Luna started to say.

Luna stopped. Her expression changed.

Alex thought he must have messed something else up.

"Alex," Luna said slowly in a quiet voice, "Being a magical girl is like being an artist.  Everyone is on their own art journey so it doesn't make a lot of sense to be like someone else. I'm sure Fufi has filled your head with stories of lots of magical girls but you don't have to be like them. Also, don't sell yourself short.  Just because you are not summoning crystals from the ground that shoot lasers repeatedly that slice demon hoards into tiny bits within minutes doesn't make you a bad magical girl."

Alex thought her example was oddly specific but oh well.

"Luna?" Alex asked, "Is there anything that can help me feel better?"

Luna smiled and put a hand on his shoulder again, "Oh come now. We all go through rough times." Luna looked towards Kaide who gave a weak smile. "You should take Kaide back to see her family. And take her tree with you. Families are meant to be together." Luna winked and a heart-shaped pink bubble floated up.  It popped and turned into a card that had an aspen tree.  She handed it to Kaide. "That is about all I can do down here without getting into trouble with the other deities.  So I should get going."

Alex's phone started to display a video of a spinning portal.  Luna turned small enough to jump into the screen.  Alex looked at the phone and saw Luna waving happily in the image before it went dark and turned back into a normal phone.  Well, an extra girly normal phone. Luna had done quite the job decorating it.

 

Kaide took the gift Luna made for her and thanked the goddess.

"I'll keep it safe," she said, holding onto it tight.

"I don't really want to spend the night here.  I know we won't get back to the farm until after dark but I'd like to leave right away." Alex addressed Merumeru, Kaide, and Fufi. He didn't say much else since he still felt embarrassed by what happened earlier.

Merumeru sighed and gave Alex a hug with a tearful smile, "Merumeruuuu."

Kaide nodded, still looking a bit sad, "I'm sorry about what happened.  I'll do what I can to make things right."

Fufi nodded, "We'll talk more when we return home."

"You're coming with us then?" Alex asked.  He was worried things might be awkward between the group and Kaide.

Kaide smiled and nodded, "Of course."

Alex held his breath, hoping that they would be friends now that everything was ok.

The remaining nymphs were creating a cradle for Sakura out of their plant magic.  Some of the people who turned back by eating the hummus were grouping together discussing plans to leave.  It seems like as good of time as any to set out.

Fufi led the way through the woods, through a thick patch of trees and around the mountain. The others followed close behind.  She only flew for as long as the sun stayed up.  After it became dark, Alex lit the brazier and everyone stuck closer to the cart.  Luckily they could just follow the cart tracks back the way they came.  Alex no longer could sense where Sakura's grove was so without some way to navigate the woods they could have gotten lost.

The air grew cold as night set in.  Kaide and Alex took turns pulling the cart.  They had to wind it back up a few times but because the cart moved itself with spring tension moving it was not that much different than walking.

As it got later Alex felt sleepy. He needed to sleep but he couldn't help but think about what happened today. Were Martha and Bob worried about them?  Was it wrong to get them involved in this magical girl trouble?  Should Alex have just left the first day and continued looking for another place?  It was hard not to second guess himself.

Alex went over and checked the wagon, Merumeru slept soundly while Kaide and Fufi kept an eye out. The moon shone bright enough that they should be able to see pretty well.

Alex looked towards the forest, there were a lot of shadows that made him wonder if it would have been safer to just camp out at the grove.  They had already started on the journey so at this point there was no point in going back. They continued onward into the woods whether or not it was safe.

Alex put his petit hand against his head as he thought.

Kaide turned to look back towards Alex, "I can take over pushing the cart if you want to rest a bit.  Fufi can keep an eye out."

Alex opened his eyes and smiled weakly. "Sure, sorry I guess all the stress has wore me out a bit.  I could use some sleep."

"Why don't you lie down here then," she said, pointing to the back of the cart.

Alex nodded and laid back onto the bed of cloth. The brazier was still lit and it was warm and comfortable.

Kaide watched as Alex closed his eyes and seemed to fall asleep immediately.

She kept pushing the cart the rest of the night until they arrived back at the farm.

48