CH35 Meeting the Stone ax
910 7 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dinner ended shortly after the group decided to take the trip.  Martha Bob and surprisingly Merumeru wanted to stay at the farm.  When asked why, the slime girl just turned her arm to be shaped like a pipe.  She apparently would prefer to stay and it had something to do with pipes.

After a little back and forth the two groups agreed to meet in an area on the edge of the forest.  Alex was excited to try out the new carriage and everyone hopped inside or on top of it.  The trip there brought light on some problems with the new version of clockwork transportation.  The additional weight caused the carriage to slide down too steep of a grade.  Also, going up too steep of a grade was not possible either.  The wheel just spun.  The nymphs traveling with them helped get the carriage unstuck by growing roots along the wheels but it wasn't actually quicker than walking.  Also, if the ground was too soft then the wheels would sink to the axel and get stuck.  The solution to all of these problems remained the same: return the carriage to card form.  Most of the first leg of the journey was done in this manner.  When they got down from the hills into the flatter land closer to the starting town it was more useful.  However, the reality was obvious.  Carriages functioned best on roads.

"How much farther?" Alex asked, his stomach rumbling in anticipation of lunch.

"Not long," Kaide replied, "There is a large living gazebo grown from the local plants ahead for the meeting. My nymph cousins were planning on growing it. It is around an hour away."

"I guess I'm missing not needing to eat as much.  Nymphs can skip meals all the time.  Turns out I was starting to do it but didn't appreciate it.  Is that why you wanted to remain a Nymph and not go back to being a human?" Alex asked.

"Hmm, first off skipping means only works if there is good sun. As for going back to being a human, I looked at the farmer's son in my memories and the few years I lived as a nymph and compared the two.  It didn't take much time to decide.  Even with my memories back, I just knew that a nymph is who I really am.  It fits me.   While I don't like that Sakura didn't give me a choice, if she did, and I had time to think about it, I might have agreed to become a nymph willingly." Kaide didn't seem conflicted about her transformation at all.

"So you are really happy with being a nymph then?" Alex probed.

"I think I'm happier than I would be as a human but yes." Kaide smiled as if she couldn't believe how lucky she had been to become one.

Alex just shrugged, "Well, you could still become human if you wanted."

Kaide chuckled, "You really don't understand what it's like, do you?"

Alex shook his head, "Nope. I guess the few days I was a nymph I tried to not think about it and focus on other things."

They discussed recent events until the group got to the destination. The gazebo came into view as they walked around a corner.  It was very large and had a round wooden table in the middle.  Everything grew from the ground.  It looked similar to the architecture of Sakura's grove.

Alex parked the carriage adjacent to the gazebo.  He turned a latch and cranked a wheel as gears turned.  Several panels opened up to a compartment inside.  Alex pulled out a charcoal grill and a burlap sack of charcoal.  Bob and Martha said he could have the grill.  It was rusted and not fit for cooking when he found it stashed away in the workshop.  A little bit of feather dusting and it was good to go.  The farm also had a pit for making charcoal.  Alex started grilling some veggies for everyone.

"This is the place." Kaide said.

"It is very cute.  Good job Kaide." Fufi praised.

"Thank you. I'm glad you like it." Kaide said happily.

"I'm a little worried about how this is going to go. The last time I dealt with the barbarians they just attacked first." Alex plated some grilled veggies and handed them to Ki and Kaide.  

The two nymphs accepted the stone plates and tasted the dish they smiled, obviously pleased with the taste.

"I didn't know you were a cook, Alex.  This is very good." Kaide said while chewing on some steaming carrots.

Ki's response was more serious. "If they behave like demons then those stone ax tribesmen will be treated like demons.  However, they said they wanted to meet.  So I guess we'll find out if they are liars.  If we just assumed the worst....well that is the path Sakura took."

"I agree." Kaide said, "I have no intention of letting anyone hurt you. If they attack then I will defend you."

At that moment it clicked that a bunch of women defended Alex.  He felt like the prince in the tower defense game. To make things even more awkward he was wearing the crafting outfit.  It seemed the most formal one.  However, it was still a blouse, corset and pleated skirt.  The pink robe seemed the most neutral clothing option but it also would give the impression that he just rolled out of bed.  Alex could have made some masculine clothing for himself but when he was a nymph and preparing to face Sakura it seemed the better choice to tailor something that would increase cuteness.

"Let's get this over with.  This waiting for them to arrive and constant guessing how things could go wrong is killing me." Alex sighed.

"The riders are almost here." Ki stated.

"I can't see or hear anyone, how do you know?" Alex asked.

Fufi snickered. "You are asking an aspen nymph how they know who is in their forest."

Alex just rolled his eyes.  "Point taken."

All the nymphs chuckled a bit at the exchange.

Not long after a group of seven riders showed up.  All but one dressed like typical barbarian types.  They wore leathers or a combination of bone and leather.  They equipped wooden, bone or stone weapons.  One of the group dressed differently though.  He was an old man with linen clothing.  The man was the first to get down from his horse.  He tied the reins to a tree and approached.

"I'm Handverk, chief crafter for the stone ax tribe.  I'm here to parlay with Alex and Fufi."

"I am Alex. I am not sure why the stone axes want to meet with us." Alex said.

Handverk looked at the group of nymphs and back at Alex. "I can explain. It was a misunderstanding.  Men went missing when gathering in the forest so we sent out scouts to try to find out what happened and who was responsible. The scouts discovered the repaired bridge and tracks leading back to the ruins. One thing led to another and they discovered that the dungeon for the adventurers guild was active again.  The scouts reported that it was uncertain if the missing men were being held captive.  But one boy, a bird and a slime seemed an easy fight for a warband.  Chieftain stone ax thinks of things in terms of risks and rewards.  All of the nomad tribes only keep what they can protect.  I didn't agree with the chief but that is how most people in the wastes view things.  Anyway, a few days ago the missing men returned with a strange tale.  Also, none of the shamans can undo the water magic trap you left in the dungeon.  Your resourcefulness and cunning proves you deserve respect."

Alex frowned.  It sounded like the human crafter thought the mistake wasn't that it was wrong to take what they could but to fail at it and offend someone strong.  The whole 'might makes right' mentality really disgusted Alex.

Sensing the uncomfortable pause, Ki interjected, "I don't know if you are helping your case with Alex. Mister Handverk, just because Alex wasn't responsible makes things okay?  The stone ax tribe might have done things differently if they had more information?  What kind of an apology is that?"

Handverk just nodded. "I am sorry. However, I think that we should be given a chance to prove ourselves.  I even brought some items from the dungeon to show our good will."

He waved a hand and one of the horsemen unloaded a saddlebag onto the table.  Many sea themed items poured out on the wood.  The table became littered with sea shells, pearls, and fish scales.

"Why are they all underwater things?" Alex raised an eyebrow.

"Why wouldn't they be?  The dungeon is an underwater dungeon.  Only our best swimmers can enter it. Again, I am sorry we forced you out.  Had we known things might have gone differently." The human said, trying to sound remorseful.

Ki got things back on track, "I think there is a cultural problem here.  Alex is not from any of the tribes.  His values are closer to the kingdom's pre demon invasion.  If the stone ax tribe wants to make things right they need to give back what they have taken."

Ki shook his head. "Only the chief can make a decision like that. I mostly wanted to trade.  We found several wagon parts in the stables that are very valuable to us."  At that moment Handverk noticed the ticking carriage on the other side of the gazebo.  He started to rush over. "What a well made carriage.  How did you make it?  Are you willing to trade for it?"

Before he could get close enough several nymphs raised a hand and vines grew from the ground, entangling his legs.  

Ki gave the crafter a look, "Rude, you are not much of a diplomat."

Handverk slumped his shoulders. "No, I am just a crafter. Chief stone ax said that I can open trade and to try to see what it would take to release the water spell that hides the dungeon.  Oh what is that fixture on the bottom?"  The human man pulled out a drawing that Alex had left behind when they were fleeing.  "Is that this?  Someone brought this drawing back."  He held the drawing of the leaf spring that Alex made for Merumeru back when they were still staying in the adventurer's guild.

"Yes it is." Alex's voice dripped with annoyance at being shown something stolen from him.

"It is very unique. How did you make it?" The other human didn't seem to sense how seeing the paper made Alex feel.

Ki coughed. "Please go back to the table, Mister Handverk.  Alex is not interested in selling his carriage or how to make it. If you want to trade then start by saying what it would take to give Alex's home back."

The man considered this. "We can't stay camped in the ruins forever. I think that the tribe will take off if the dungeon gets used up or if another bigger threat forces us to flee."

Ki flashed a predatory smile. "If you want to trade then I can think of a way for you to give the land back.  If you plant some saplings around the town it will become the domain of the forest.  Go and tell your chief that if these are not planted then we know exactly how he feels about making things right."

Handverk gulped.  "I can do that.  I don't know if he'll agree but no one wants to make an enemy of the aspen grove tribe."

Ki planted some seeds and with some gestures and chanting a dozen aspen sprouts were popping out of the ground.  Several grasses grew in a circle around the saplings and they rose with the root balls wrapped up in grass.  The little trees made their way to each of the horses slowly like an octopus pulling itself along the ground with tentacles.  The men seemed unnerved.

"Please take these.  We'll ask for permission to plant them." Handverk also set a pair of saplings in his own saddlebag.  He struggled a bit but the warband members lifted the tree with root balls with no effort at all.

"Now off you go.  You don't want to overstay your welcome." Ki waved the group of tribesmen off.

After they got their horses ready the stone ax delegation departed.

"Wow Ki, you are really good with negotiations." Alex praised the nymph.

"I should be.  Before the demon invasion I was the daughter of a baron." Ki looked a bit wistful to be reminded of her newly returned memories.

Alex gaped a bit.  Just how old was Ki?

 

36