CH38 Stone Ax Camp
847 4 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile back at Stone Ax camp . . .

Chief Stone Ax sat in the largest tent in the camp.  The lead shaman named Dukun entered the tent through a flap followed by the leader of the crafters, Handverk.  The burly leader dressed in pelts regarded them as they bowed before him.

"Well, how did the mission go?" The chief asked.

"We lost no men and were able to talk.  They are willing to make peace but want the dungeon back.  The head nymph said that if we plant these trees then the city will be a part of the forest's domain. The warband that came with me has them currently." Handverk nervously reported.

"Hmm, that did you tell them?" The chief questioned.

"I didn't answer them completely.  I would like to do as they ask but couldn't make any decisions like that on my own." Handverk stated.

"Hmm, so the ruins are outside the forest domain currently?  The spirits can't attack us here?" The chief asked the two men.

The shaman cleared his throat, "Yes, the tribesmen who came back after being transformed stated as much.  Normally nymphs can only go so far from their trees.  The dryad's power lets them go all through her domain though.  The forest is several miles out from the city."

"Will you plant the trees and try to have favorable relationships with the forest clan? That boy . . . er are you sure Alex isn't a girl? I met Alex and she wore women's clothes, a skirt and a blouse.  Anyway, Alex crafted this amazing carriage that was unlike anything I've ever seen before.  Yes, the few axles and wheels for wagons we plundered from the stables at the dungeon are really good but I think there is more to gain by working together than taking what we can." Handverk pleaded.

The shaman agreed, "Alex's gender aside, I agree with Handverk. We have survived by not taking too big of risks and getting hunted down by more powerful tribes.  The people that came back stated that a divine being appeared in the Dryad's grove.  I don't think it is wise to even stay here any longer. Yes, for now perhaps we are safe because we are out of range but for how long.  Also, is that even true? I think about those trees our crafter was given and it seems like a test. Before I would have agreed that this Alex was a wayward scion from one of the fallen kingdom's houses but the fact that Alex is allied with the forest spirits right by here changes things."

Handverk looked worried, "What do you mean?"

"The spirit of the forest is testing us. If we fail the test then the forest will take its revenge. If we succeed, then the forest may forgive us." The shaman explained.

Chief Stone Ax snorted. "You shamans and your mumbo jumbo.  The way I see it is that we claimed this dungeon by right of conquest.  They can take it back by the same means.  Handverk was even allowed to gift some of the dungeon loot as a sign of our good will.  But most importantly their weakness is clear.  The trees they gave us, the fact that only people scouting the forest were captured, and now this ultimatum show that they have little ability to retaliate against this location.  All we really need to do to come out ahead is to just stall until our carts are full or the dungeon has used up all its power."

"If we do this they will see it as an offense. It will ruin any chance of gaining goodwill or trade." Handverk said.

"I'm not interested in trading with a bunch of tree huggers. I'm not going to risk losing everything we have worked for to a bunch of primitives. I'm going to keep the dungeon." Chief Stone Ax stated with finality.

"But if we could forge good relationships the gains would be better.  If the forest spirits can drive off the demons we might not even have to head back out into the wastes again." Handverk pleaded.

"No, you should be smarter than that.  Any attempt for a tribe to settle down in an area always ends the same.  Any settlement eventually becomes a target.  Keeping on the move has been our best and only chance of safety.  Anyway, you two are dismissed. If anyone gets sent to ask about the trees just tell them that we are working on it and they need to be patient.  Nymphs are trees, right?  They should be good at being patient." The chief waved the pair away.

Handverk and the shaman left the tent and walked out into the sunlight.

"I hope you understand that we have to follow the orders of the chief." Dukun grumbled.

"I know. It is fine." Handverk sounded depressed.

"I am worried though.  I don't think he understands the threat. These nymphs have powers similar to succubi if I understand right.  If we ran into demons then he would understand that fleeing or placating them would be the only viable options.  I'd like to think that the chief knows what he is doing but I fear this path deception and defiance is not going to end well for us." The shamed shared grimly as he looked up at the sky.  

"Sometimes I hate our lot in life.  Our strongest warrior makes the decisions.  He doesn't actually care that our tools break, our wagons break, the next generation of crafters is worse than the last.  Even though I was given things to offer to the forest clan it was only things that were left over after the warriors picked out anything they wanted.  I understand how things work. But I haven't leveled in years.  Keeping the wagons repaired and making bone or stone weapons isn't enough anymore." The head crafter complained.

The pair walked out towards the center of the camp.  They were set up next to the dam.  Several people were seated on the edge of the structure with long thing spears trying to catch fish.  A number of well worn wooden carts were around.  Tipis were arrayed in several circles.

Dukun narrowed his eyes on his fellow tribesman. "You shouldn't talk about such things.  We both know that the only way to challenge the chief's decision is to defeat him in combat. "

"I know, you don't have to remind me.  It just is that I can see how we are on a path of slowly regressing into wild beasts and I can't do anything to change it." Handverk frowned in frustration.

"I don't know what else to say." Dukun said without much emotion.

"I know. I know. I'll stop complaining." Handverk ran a hand through his hair.

---

Back at the farm another day dawned.  The group had breakfast where Alex and Fufi announced their plans to spend the day decorating the grotto. Merumeru volunteered to help as well.  Martha and Kaide promised to swing by after finishing with the farm work.  

"You know, I should have asked Luna to pose for a picture when we last saw her or one of the times before.  I'm a little worried I'm not going to do any artwork of her justice." Alex said while using some charcoal and a flat wooden surface to do a rough sketch of Luna.

"I'd say she'd understand you did your best but if it is not cute I don't think she'll be pleased." Fufi stated.

"I've got some experience making dolls so it won't be like this is my first attempt.  I'm really pleased with how Lily, Rose and Edelweiss turned out." Alex smiled.

Alex started the day's work with dancing and the two dolls from the previous day.  They made the stone floor flat and the ceiling and walls straight.  Next he danced around while they created a staircase by putting divots into the rock wall on either side of the cliffs.

Alex's phone rang out: [New skill acquired!  Dancing level 1]

"Congratulations on the new skill!" Fufi cheered.

Merumeru hopped up and down cheering as well.

Unlike cooking and cleaning this skill Alex felt good about. Alex didn't feel like dancing had connotations like some of the other skills. Besides, dancing with the dolls that had magical powers was fun.

"I guess this one was a long way in coming." Alex smiled.

"Glad that you like dancing Alex.  A magical girl's cute dance is a thing to behold." Fufi praised.

The stat screen on Alex's phone displayed:

Name: Alex Parker

Class: Magical Girl

Sex: Male

Race: Human

Strength: 10

Constitution: 10

Dexterity: 16

Intelligence: 7

Cuteness: 6

Skills:

Cleaning: 2

Cooking: 1

Dancing: 1

Tailoring: 2

Toymaking: 1

Feats: Empower Doll

Spells: Animate Doll

Lesser Grow Plants

 

Deciding to try something new, Alex found a flamingo sized boulder next the the stream. Picturing the image of Luna in his mind he danced circles around the rock.  The two dolls followed and did their own little dance as well while spraying and drilling at the rock. Water, and rockdust formed a cloud in the area.  Alex spun around in twirls while dusting with the feather duster. The dolls stayed clean and the magical girls stayed clean.  No one lost cuteness by becoming dirty.  When the dust cleared, a pair of stone flamingos with a gem on their foreheads stood facing each other.  The sculpture looked rough.  It would need a lot more detailing.  But for something done without any experience in sculpting it was better than Alex expected.

"What do you think?  I was picturing Fufi and Fumi while I danced." Alex sought their resident Flamingo's feedback.

"It looks rough but it is a good start. Maybe Merumeru can help make it a bit better.  She worked on the town fountain and is good at statues." Fufi looked at the slime girl.

"Meru!" The slime girl pumped a fist in excitement.

"Next, let's see if we can find a Luna sized rock." Alex walked along the stream's bank with a doll in each arm.

Surprisingly, Alex noticed a person-sized stone that was white with black streaks. "Was this one here before?" Alex looked behind at Fufi.

"Hmm, I can't recall.  Maybe?  But that looks like a really nice find.  White buffalo turquoise is a really good find, Alex." Fufi pecked at the large white rock.

"Hmm, I don't remember seeing any of this rare turquoise when we were moving rocks with Bob.  Seems a little convenient that we'd stumble across the perfect material right in front of us." Alex said, with a voice dripping with sarcasm.

"I see what you mean, divine providence almost?" Fufi gave her wings a quick flap.

Alex smirked and nodded. With that said, he started to dance again around the rock.  The two dolls joined him with a now-familiar cloud of water and rock dust the stone was ground down to a vaguely person sized shape.  It was at this point a new problem presented itself.  A person sized block of stone weighs much more than a person.

Alex sighed, "There is no way I can get this to move. It is too heavy."

"I guess we'll have to get help." Fufi lowered her head in agreement.

"Well, maybe now is a good time to break for lunch." Alex said with a smile.  He opened the panel on the carriage and pulled out the grill.  With a little bit of effort and some time a nice batch of charcoal was ready to grill some vegetables.  

"That carriage you made turned out really well.  You've been getting a lot of use out of it." Fufi said while perched on top of the vehicle.

Alex nodded. "I'm happy with it too. It is like having a little clockwork motorhome."

As if drawn by the smell of food, Bob, Martha and Kaide showed up.  Bob looked down at them from the top of the ravine.

"Wow you all have been busy.  There is even a set of stone steps that weren't here yesterday." The farmer said with a grin.

33