Chapter 5: Questions
91 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5: Questions

 Nathaniel: 

When I wake up, I see I am in a soft bed. There is no one else in the room with me. Yet, there is a note on the bedside table. 

Nathaniel,

I hope you can understand that I couldn't leave Erik with you. He is still a child, and you are contagious. I booked the room for the next twelve weeks. I do hope you remember that, next time someone tries to hire you. 

Get well soon,

Givontair. 

PS: Don't leave the room. Food and drink will be brought to you. 

Huh, a friendly dragon. No, not just any friendly dragon, but a dragon healer. Now, I have seen it all. I see there is a second note under the first one. Checking it out, I see that it has the times during which I should drink my pills. This is really nice of the dragon, but I have a contract. 

No, I didn't lie to Givontair that I can stage his death. Yet, it has to be convincing. I will need at least one of his scales, as proof. My ears perk up, when I hear someone knocking on the door. 

"Come in," I call to whoever is behind the door. A plumb woman enters, with a tray ladened with food balanced on her right hand. I grin. I don't know what was in those pills, but I feel ravenous now. 

"You slept like the dead for two days," the woman tells me. "I am Rhea, the innkeeper. Your albino friend told me to keep you in the room, so you won't spread the sickness." 

I want to mention to her that I don't know the man at all. Yet, I don't want to end whatever lie Givontair has told her. So, I decide to ask a seemingly harmless question. 

"Where is Givontair? Is he still in the inn?" I ask. She shakes her head. 

"No, in the mayor's house. He is trying to get him to buy plenty of pills. Say, will you drink the entire bottle of these pills?" She places the tray on the table under the window, and goes back outside. When she comes back, it is with a water pitcher and a glass.

"I am supposed to drink one every day for twelve weeks," I eye the bottle. It is small. Something tells me that I might not have enough for the entire period. 

"You are very lucky, to have been picked up by the healer, as the rest of us die like flies," there is scorn in her voice. I understand her. So, I open the bottle, and empty half of it on a saucer. 

"Take these, if you have someone who is on death's door. I am certain that the healer will get more," I wish I really was. Still, I have lived a long life. For a dragon slayer to have reached the age of thirty-five is a miracle in and of itself. She looks at me with misty eyes. 

"This can help my twin daughters?" She asks, as she places the pitcher with the water on the table. I take one look at the note with the times I have to drink the pills, and place it on the saucer as well. 

"Take this note as well. It will help," I say. She moves towards me with haste. Before I can so much as blink, the saucer is emptied in a jar, and the note disappears in the pocket of her shirt. 

"You eat now," she says, happier now that she got her hands on the medicine. "I won't tell anyone you have the cure. So, you will manage to keep the rest of the pills for yourself."  

I wish I were a more noble man. Someone who'd share all of the pills with the people of Portius. Yet, I am not. I want to survive this, as much as I want for the dragon to save everyone. Why did Givontair even come to this town? In the middle of a breakout. 

"Did the albino ask you any questions?" I ask, curious. 

"Yes, he did ask if slave traders came here recently. I told him the same as I will tell you now: They weren't let in, and went further south. Why the mayor lets such scum even enter our town is beyond me. Now, back when the dragons ruled, there was no slave trade," she narrows her eyes at me, as if challenging me to contradict her. 

"No, I suppose not. Back then, everyone but the dragons were a slave," I say. My words might be bitter, but I have family members who lived during the last years of the dragon regime. They could tell such horror stories, that one won't be able to sleep for days. 

"Oh, and do you think we have it better now? Are we still not slaves? Back under the dragons, all races were equal, with the dragons being on top of the ladder. Now, there are still slaves in all but name. Those who don't have money, toil away for those who do. But what can you understand? Your friend has given you a freedom many would envy you for," she takes the jar with her half of the pills, and leaves without giving me a chance to argue. 

I wince, when the door slams behind her. It is strange, that even now, there are dragon supporters among the people. More than once, I had a hunt ruined by such humans.

 Mostly, they give me false directions. An elf sent me to Portius, saying that I will meet Ulcer the Relentless in here, together with Givontair. I suppose the joke is on him. Ulcer might not be here, but I did find a dragon. 

Getting up, I go to the table. The food is simple, but hearty. A venison stew with carrots and potatoes. Fresh bread, not warm, but still soft. The water is cool, and does wonders for my parched throat.

When I am done eating, I go back to the bed. I wonder if Givontair is ever going to come and see me. Hopefully, he will. I will need more pills, for when I drink the ones I have left. 

A healer dragon. I wonder what sort of mana manipulations he is capable of? Can he fix damaged nerves? Can he give my sister a second chance at life?

4