Chapter 6: Truce
80 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6: Truce

 Givontair:

The only thing the mayor did, was to give me permission to buy the antibiotics for the people. He didn't look sick.

Then again, he also hid in his house, as his people suffer. Damian is on the other end of the continent. There is no way that he is going to give me all the medicine I need, in the time frame I was allowed to act. 

There is only one solution, really. I must go to the black market at the edge of Portius, and look for the pills there.

Erik is by my side. I don't want to leave him alone. What if he runs off, and tries to find his mother? What if someone coughs on him? There is little I can do for the boy, considering that I gave the pills to Nathaniel. 

So far, the dragon slayer keeps to his room. I have been burned a few times, when I dealt with dragon slayers in the past. Yet, something is pulling me towards Nathaniel. Almost as if we are linked. I shake my head. No, these thoughts won't lead to anything good. Best to forget them.

I turn to Erik, and take a hold of his arm. 

"Don't stray from my side," I tell the boy. Erik scoffs at me. 

"I know Portius, Givontair. Together with the caravan, I have roamed its streets many times," I don't doubt that he has been to this town before. Yet, I do doubt that he has ever seen such an outbreak in his life. "For how long are we staying?"

"We just need to take the pills, and we are good to go," I say. Erik blinks then. 

"What of Nathaniel?" The raven-haired child asks. I tilt my head to the side. 

"He is a dragon slayer. I don't like his kind," I say, omitting the fact that I am a dragon. I very much doubt that Erik will ever forget that. Besides, we are in a public place. Even as empty as the streets are now, there could still be someone listening in. 

"We can't just leave him. He is sick, Giv," I blink at the nickname. Has Erik gotten this comfortable around me?

"He is contagious. We can't so much as visit him," I argue. The boy looks me straight in the eyes. 

"You have plenty of mana. Why don't you try to treat him with it?" Erik's question is a good one. I decide to be honest, least the trust between us strains and breaks. 

"I was hoping we could buy time, and get away while he is still bedridden," Erik stops moving then. His eyes are as wide as saucers. He looks at me as if he is seeing me for the first time.

"You are a healer. You can't do something like that!" His voice is full of indignation. I sigh. 

"You are young still, so you don't understand what is happening. My life is at danger, for as long as Nathaniel can track me. He came to Portius for me, and my friend Ulcer. Neither of us have caused trouble to civilians," I clarify to the boy. He doesn't move, as I tug at his hand. 

"He can change. What if his sickness turns for the worst even with the pills? You have to do something. For Nathaniel, for the people of Portius," Erik sounds determined then. I kneel before him, so we are at an eye level. 

"The world is not black and white, Erik. Sometimes, your survival comes before the survival of others," Erik opens his mouth, and then closes it. I get it, he is confused. Not many healers turn their backs on patients. Even I don't do it all that often. 

But the case with Nathaniel is different. He can kill me. I noticed that he has a rune steel sword. Even a single cut from that sword, can spread poison in my body. More than one dragon fell that way. It is a slow death, one that makes you lose your mind, at the end of it all. 

"Why help me, but not Nathaniel?" Erik asks, when he collects himself. 

"You are a child. I don't like leaving children to fend for themselves," I tell the boy. He scrunches his nose up on me. 

"So, if I was older, and you found me half-dead in the ruins, you would have walked away?" His words are harsh. I do have my principles. Helping those who need it, and keeping away from bandits and dragon slayers.

Not that I was successful in fulfilling this. I burned a bandit camp, and nursed a dragon slayer from the brink of death.

"If you don't help him, then I will never speak to you again!" 

I bite my lower lip. Truly, I want to help Erik. He is one of the few that knows who and what I am. His acceptance of me is like a balm to my soul.

But Nathaniel? He doesn't want for me to roam free. Or to take a dragon form. What he wants, is another scratched out name on his list with dragons. I refuse to give him the glory he seeks. 

"Do as you will. Soon, you will be in your mother's arms, and I will be back on my way," I stand up, and take Erik's hand again. We are nearly to the black-market district. Now, if I remember correctly, the door was hidden under the roots of a tree. 

"How will you sleep at night, if Nathaniel dies?" Erik falls in step with me. I ponder at the question. What is another dead dragon slayer? He is a mortal, so he will die anyway. Then again, Erik is also a mortal, but I would shield him from arrows, if I must. 

"Don't do something you will regret," Erik says, as we come to the giant oak that is above the black-market district. I nod at that.

 Perhaps, I can stay for a couple more weeks. Just to be sure that Nathaniel won't topple over. But now, I really need enough medicine for the entire town. I can already feel my treasure bottomless bag becoming thinner. My inner dragon cries out in protest. Yet, after only one look at the desolate streets, my mind is made. 

4