Chapter 24: Arne
903 1 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took a few more days for the other kids to get their first kills. After each successful hunt, the village chief would congratulate each kid before the villagers took the fish corpse away for processing.

Interestingly enough, the fish corpses no longer gave me the sense of twisted geometry once they were dead. Whatever it was that made them feel like their basic shape was changing when I looked away, it disappeared once they died.

After I completed my first hunt, many of the villagers I vaguely knew smiled and congratulated me for a few days. Sometimes, they would give me a few small presents to congratulate me as well. A new pearl hairpin, a wooden toy, and various other things that let me know that the villagers were thinking about me were given to me. As I basked in the warm and congratulatory atmosphere of the village, I started to realize something.

Before I had noticed it, this place had become home. I felt safe and happy here. I had parents who loved me and who I loved, friends that I enjoyed spending time with, and neighbors I liked well enough. My memories of my original home weren’t forgotten. However, my longing for the people and world that I had left behind dimmed with each passing month. I enjoyed spending time with Felix and Sallia, and I cared about the islanders as much as I had cared about the people I could vaguely remember from my first life. Even though new connections would never replace the people I had lost, I was able to look towards the future instead of wallowing in the past.

Bit by bit, the hurt from losing my friends and family and forgetting who they were was starting to heal.

Seven days later, the villagers began to call the children who had passed their first hunt. Now that we had turned six, we were considered old enough to start learning from the other villagers, which meant we needed to talk to the village chief and figure out where we were going for our first apprenticeship. I was one of the first ones the village chief called to his house.

“Good job, Miria,” said the village chief, smiling at me. “I say it to every child, but it bears repeating every time. Passing your adulthood ceremony is a big accomplishment, and a sign that you’re getting older and wiser. Your achievements deserve to be recognized, and as village chief, I’m always happy to see kids growing up safely and happily. So well done, Miria.” Although the village chief seemed nervous whenever I saw him in front of a crowd, right now he seemed far more relaxed. He even seemed genuinely happy to see me.

“Thank you chief,” I said.

“So, as I’m sure you’ve heard, once you pass your first hunt at six, you can start helping out around the village. Have your parents already spoken with you about this?”

I nodded. “They have, but not in great detail.”

“Very well then. There are a few details and restrictions for your first apprenticeship. First - this wooden token represents where you’ll be spending the next four years. Give this to a villager who is already an adult, and they will consider accepting you as their apprentice. If they reject your apprenticeship, they will return it to you the following day. If they accept, they will usually let you know, but if they don’t return the token it also means they have accepted your presence. Second, I want you to remember that you can’t choose any of the dangerous jobs. No fishing or hunting until you turn 10. If you have the potential to be a hunter, I wouldn’t mind giving you a special wooden token, that would let you apprentice under a retired hunter and learn how to fight from them.” The village chief sighed.”But I will be blunt. Honestly, I don’t think you are able to make it as a hunter. You only have two runes right now, and you started forming them about two years ago. One rune per year isn’t bad, but hunting is very dangerous, and we tend to only take the kids who form runes really fast. After all, participating in hunts with more dangerous land beasts is hard if you don’t have at least seven runes. With only six, you might have the body and the abilities to keep up with a fight, but without the ability to use multiple abilities in quick succession and perceive the fights that occur at higher speeds, it’ll be hard for you to stay safe as a hunter. The perception abilities granted by a seventh rune are critical to staying alive, and I just don’t think you’re going to be able to form a seventh rune, unless something unexpected happens.” 

I nodded. After the land beast attack a year ago, I had also realized that I wasn’t in the same power range as the creatures of the forest. And given the fact that I had grade 5 Manifestation Essence, I doubted I would prove to be anything special as far as rune count went. Forcibly participating in land beast hunts would just get me killed if I was too weak to fight properly. I grinned at the village chief to show him I agreed with his assessment. “I don’t think I want to be a hunter anyway. I like the fishing boats much more,” I said.

The village chief nodded and relaxed. “That’s absolutely possible for you. You should have an easy time getting at least a fourth rune, and that’s all you really need to be a fisherman. The ocean mother’s children are far less dangerous than the horrors on land. When you turn ten, if you haven’t changed your mind we’ll talk again.”

The village chief gave me an encouraging pat on the back, and said a few more words of encouragement before he handed me a wooden token. After a few more verbal headpats, he kicked me out of his hut so that he could receive the next child. Outside, my parents were waiting.

“Miria, are you interested in learning how to make tools from Arne?” asked my father, cutting straight to the point after he saw my wooden token.

“I’m not opposed to it,” I said, after thinking for a bit. I wanted to be a fisherman, and work near the ocean more. It would give me more chances to analyze what was up with the ocean of this world, and it would also be a good way to farm Achievement. But I didn’t really know what to do until then. Making tools didn’t sound amazing, but it didn’t sound bad.

“Then, if you don’t mind learning about fish corpses and tools, look for master Arne tomorrow. He’s one of the better craftsmen in the village, and he said he wouldn’t mind having you around for a while when your mother and I mentioned you had passed your first adulthood ceremony,” said my father, reaching down and ruffling my hair. “But we’ll wait until tomorrow to bring you there. I want you to be sure you don’t mind making tools, since you won’t have a chance to change jobs for another four years once you start. Make sure this is something you’re okay with, all right sweetie?”

“All right,” I said. 

* * *

The next morning, I prepared to meet with Felix and Sallia. The three of us had decided to go find our apprenticeships together, even though Sallia wouldn’t have an apprenticeship until next year. The village chief had judged that, unlike me, Felix actually had the potential to be a hunter, and Felix’s mother was also a former hunter, giving him several connections to the hunter community already. Thus, he had been strongly encouraged to go into the hunter training program, and he had grudgingly accepted.

“How do you feel about your apprenticeship,” I asked Felix, curious, after he showed up.

“Hmm…” Felix frowned, before sighing. “To be honest, I wish I was doing something else. Hunting isn’t bad, but it doesn’t really speak to my passion, you know? If I had the chance, I would much rather do something crafting-related. I think my passion lies in crafting and machinery. But…” he sighed again. “This world’s tech level is a bit too low for me to do anything related to machinery, and I have no idea how I would go about starting the industrial revolution in this world. And based on our situation in the Market, we really need some high-level fighting abilities when we return, or we might permanently die. So I’ll become a hunter this time. But in the future, maybe in a few lives when we’ve figured out more of the Market, and when we have better ways to survive, I’d like to do something else.” Felix shrugged. “It is what it is, I guess.”

I felt bad when I heard Felix say that. I had seen Felix show interest in mechanics, production, and engineering several times already, and after thinking about it, it seemed pretty obvious that Felix was a inclined towards crafting and mechanical objects. I couldn’t argue with his assessment, though. We really did need good fighters when we got back to the Market, and encouraging him to pursue his passions might get him - and the rest of us - killed. But I felt bad that Felix had to sacrifice his passion for practicality. I made a mental note to myself. In the future, I would find a way to pay Felix back for what he was doing for us. He might forget about this in the future, but I wouldn’t forget that he was putting aside his dreams for what might be an entire lifetime just to keep the three of us safe. Someday, I would give him something to make up for that, no matter how many worlds it took.

“So, are we heading to Arne’s house first?” asked Felix, changing the subject.

“Yeah, let’s go!” I said. If Felix wanted to change the subject, I would oblige him.

Our group began walking through the village until we arrived at the correct house. I stepped forward, and then rapped on the wooden door three times.

The door creaked open.

“Welcome! I was just wondering when you would come! You’re Silas and Astra’s daughter, aren’t you?” Asked the man standing behind the door, giving me a warm smile. The man standing behind the door only had three runes, which shocked me. He had the same number of runes as Felix. But Felix was six years old, and this man must have been in his early or mid twenties. Most of the villagers had 4-6 runes, so he was definitely below average in rune count. And the difference between having 3 runes and 4 runes was massive, since people with 4 runes had superpowers and people with 3 were just unnaturally strong and healthy. However, he had a relaxed, happy grin on his face, despite the fact that his status in the village must have definitely suffered because of his low runes.

At that moment, even though his rune count was low and his combat power was probably abysmal compared to most adults in the village, I felt respect for the man. For him to be so genuinely happy to see us, despite his hardships in the past, was respectable on its own. In the future, if I ended up with terrible Stats, or if I ended up crippled, I wanted to have the same dignity and joy towards life this man did. I wanted to be able to smile, work for the sake of those I cared about, and feel happy even if my circumstances were bad.

Unaware of all of my thoughts, the man in the house turned towards Sallia and Felix before his grin grew even wider.

“The troublesome trio came to visit me, eh? Are you two here to cheer on your friend? Or are you also planning on learning about tools and fish bones as well, Felix? I heard you were going to train as a hunter, but if you changed your mind I could take you in.” He gave Felix a friendly grin.

I saw Felix’s face change for a moment, and he gazed towards Arne’s crafting hut with a wistful expression. I could tell he wanted to say yes - despite the low technology level of the village, and the lack of things that truly interested Felix, he was still interested in learning to make tools. Then, he sighed and turned to Arne. “We’re here to cheer Miria on, sir,” said Felix, returning the man’s smile. “I have respect for the hunters who place themselves in danger every day for the sake of the village, and I want to be able to protect those I care about. So I’ll have to turn down your offer.”

Master Arne gave Felix’s hands a glance, before shrugging. “Shame. You look like you have a pair of clever hands. I think you could make some truly extraordinary items if you learned under me. But if you feel your path is to become a hunter, good luck. Their jobs are far more dangerous than mine, but without hunters this village wouldn’t exist.” Then, Arne leaned in a little closer, and looked Felix in the eye. “But if you ever change your mind, let me know. Plenty of hunters get permanently injured in their line of work. Your mother is a good example of the danger of being a hunter - half of her face is paralyzed, and it would be a shame to see a kid like you go through the same thing. If you want to become a craftsmen instead, or if you get permanently injured and can’t continue hunting, I’ll take you in anytime. And if you ever need an adult to talk to, come to me. I’ll always be a willing ear for those in need of a chat.” Then, Arne turned back to me.

“So it’s just little Miria then?” he asked, holding out his hand.

“Yeah,” I said, handing him my wooden token.

“Welcome aboard, little one!” Arne said, as he took my wooden token. “If your parents didn’t already tell you a bit about me, I’m Arne! I’ve been descaling fish and making tools and clothes out of their bones and scales for over a decade now. I also make a lot of other things in the village. Two of our fishing boats were personally made by me. My runes might be low, but I’m one of the most skilled in the village when it comes to making stuff.” He cackled a bit as he held out his hand to me.

I reached out my hand and took his, giving him a firm handshake. 

“Would you three like to come in for a snack, or are the three of you off for the next phase of your adventure?”

“We’re going to Felix’s apprenticeship after this, and then we’re going to play,” I said, fully intending to get in a practice session with Sallia after this. After the three of us had gotten a reward for [Basic] swordsmanship, we were very curious to see if there were any other rewards for continuing to improve. 

“In that case, I’ll see you tomorrow, little Miria! Try to come about halfway between sunrise and midday – I should have your training equipment ready by then,” he said. With a final wave, he sent us off towards the next leg of our journey.

Felix took one last look at Arne’s hut, before we continued walking towards Felix’s apprenticeship. We quickly arrived at a house set a little ways away from the rest of the village. Unlike the other houses, which usually hugged the coastline, this one was a little closer to the fence separating the village and the trees. Felix hesitated for a moment in front of the hut, before he knocked on the door. I saw an eyeball peer at us from inside of the hunter’s house, through a very small crack between the door and wall beside it.

“Felix?” Asked the man, after looking at us for a moment.

“Yes. Sir, I’m -”

“Token.” The man opened the door, and I got my first glimpse of Felix’s new teacher.

The senior hunter was an elderly man by the village standards, since he was starting to push past forty years old. He only had one eye, and he was missing his ring finger on his left hand. He had a stern expression on his face, though I couldn’t find any trace of meanness in it. It was just… stern.

“Token.” The hunter held out his hand again. Felix handed over his wooden token. The Hunter relaxed slightly, before nodding at Felix.

“I’m Pata. Former hunter. Old now, so no more hunting. First rule - beasts listen in the forest. Don’t talk so much. Bad habit. Beasts hear, then kill you and group. Strong landbeasts make noise in the forest. Weak landbeasts don’t. If they make noise, they get eaten too. Learn to use hand signals. And when in the forest, stay quiet or die.” Pata gave Felix a stern expression. Felix frowned a bit, but then nodded. 

“Are they - Ahem.” Felix cleared his throat, and he looked like he was already starting to regret turning down Arne’s offer. “So dangerous?”

“Yes. Landbeasts rule forest. Not Humans. Stay quiet. Always.”

“Will do.”

“Good. Tomorrow, Sunrise. Come back.”

Felix opened his mouth, as if preparing to say something or ask a question. Then, he closed his mouth decisively, before he nodded.

Pata smiled for the first time. 

“You learn fast. Good.” 

After that, Pata closed the door. The whole time, he didn’t acknowledge the presence of Sallia and I. However, I was beginning to get a better grasp of his personality, so I didn’t take offense to it. Instead, I just shrugged, before I forced a grin and turned back towards Felix and Sallia.

“That should be it for the day, right? Are you guys up for practicing swordsmanship for the rest of the day?” I asked.

“Sounds good.” We returned to the sandy beach, where we began our swordsmanship training as usual.

As we practiced swinging our swords and getting into stances, I kept thinking about Felix’s regretful face as he left master Arne’s hut and walked towards the hunter’s hut. I imagined that every single swing of my sword was bringing me closer to a point where Felix wouldn’t need to bend his knee to reality in such a depressing fashion. Having one of my friends sacrifice their happiness for me felt bad. In the future, I didn’t want Sallia or Felix to be forced into unpleasant circumstances like this, if their dreams and passions lay elsewhere. I didn’t want them to be forced to constantly think about the survival of the group, or the horrors of the Market. I wanted them to be safe and happy, and I would do anything for that.

It was a stupid dream, perhaps. But it was one that I wanted to turn into a reality. Every practice swing that day carried the weight of my determination behind it, because instead of just practicing my swordsmanship for my own survival, I was working hard for the sake of my friends and their futures.

 

 

Two things. First, announcement - I have said this like 3 or 4 times already, but I will be on vacation from December 23rd until January 8th. On January 9th, expect the next chapter of this story to be released (unless I get hit by a car or something goes horribly wrong.) However, I did mention in an earlier Author's Note that if possible, I would try to get a little bit ahead, so that I could at least release a chapter or two while I'm away...

I succeeded! It was really hard, but I got 1 chapter ahead. So on January 31st there will be one chapter released for this story. it's only one chapter, but I did my best, okay? The pace of release will pick back up when I return. But I figure one extra chapter while I'm away is better than no chapters while I'm away. 

See you next year, and have a lovely holiday season, regardless of which holiday(s) you celebrate (and if you celebrate none, I hope you have a lovely few weeks anyway :D )

Shameless plug - On Patreon you can read 5 chapters ahead for $3! Or 10 chapters ahead for $5! Or 20 chapters ahead for $10.

49