Chapter 28
4.9k 15 189
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"And that is our most proudest creation! The bathhouse."

 

In front of me is a massive building with steam coming out of the back of the building. The Baxter Barony is well known for its hot springs. The territory is located on top of a magma conduit that makes the natural hot spring.

 

"This is a public use, right?"

"Of course! Even the commoner can use this place to wash their body. They only need to pay fifteen copper coins and they are good to go. Of course, there are sections where the price is a little bit high. Usually, it was the place where the nobles and merchants relaxed and enjoyed the warm go through their body."

"Hmmm"

 

That is fair enough. Higher price equals higher service. However, as long as they accept the commoner as well, I'm good with it. However, there is something that bothers me with the design of the building.

 

"That design… that is not from around here, right?"

 

Silvanna beams at me and says.

 

"That's right! We commissioned it from the Luzia kingdom. They are a kingdom full of hot springs because of their mountainous area. They are also known as master builders because of how strong their buildings are. Their kingdom always suffers from earthquakes and they need to build something strong to survive. So we decided to ask them to build us a massive hot spring palace because not only do they make a strong building but also know how to take the hot water from the ground."

 

I nod my head.

 

"Do you want to get inside, heir Gwyndolin?"

"Please call me Gwyn when we are not in a formal meeting."

"Sure! As long as you call me Silvanna as well."

"Of course, Silvanna. Anyway, sure. I want to see how it looks inside."

 

When we get inside the building, it looks like a traditional Japanese hot spring from a book I once read. I smile at all my former patients and wave my hand at them.

 

"Fufufu~ You are very popular, Gwyn."

"Well, I guess it was to be expected. I'm healing their illness and doing it for free. Even though I don't want it, I already accept that I will be famous. I'm lucky that they are full of understanding. They will not bother me when I'm doing something important or just enjoying myself."

 

I expect to be one of those celebrities in my past life. Surrounded by people, and sometimes my fans will breach my comfort zone or even stalk me.

 

Surprisingly they did not do that, and I'm grateful for it.

 

I look to the side and see Silvanna smile at me for some reason.

 

"What?"

"Nothing. I just think that you are a kind noble, Gwyn."

"What do you mean?"

"A lot of nobles in the north and some in the south will not let the commoner near them or even wave back at them. They see the commoner beneath them and will not interact with them. You are the opposite of them. You did not look down on them but saw them as your fellow human. That is something I appreciate."

"I see."

 

We continue to walk around the city and even visit the hospital where my men are nursing many people. It looks like teaching them the way of a doctor is the right thing. The one who can control mana and have a chance to be a magician manage to learn a healing ability, while the other who cannot use mana learns how to brew potions.

 

Our last destination is a hill outside the city where I can see the sun slowly setting.

 

"And this is my favorite place."

 

I look at the sun setting and nod my head.

 

"I understand why. Seeing the sun setting is a beautiful thing."

"Right? I want to have a picnic here just to see the sun setting."

"Why don't we do that right now?"

"Eh?"

 

I smile at her, take out a large blanket from my inventory, and then put them on the ground. After that, I take out a lot of food from my inventory. They are not high-ranking food (Healing Items); they are low-level food.

 

Most of them are sandwiches, but I also put in some dessert.

 

"H-How?"

 

I smile at him and say.

 

"Magic."

 

She pouts a little and sits on the blanket. I smile at her and take a tuna sandwich. I can see her follow me and take the same sandwich. She takes a bite after me, and I can see her eyes widen when the food touches her tongue.

 

"Hmmm! Delicious! Also, is this fish? Where do you get the fish? We are a landlocked territory, you know? Even when we are near Luzia kingdom, we rarely eat fish."

"I know. However, we have a merchant who opens up a fish business in Shadowfall."

"Oh? How? Does he have a lot of contact in the west? Maybe from the Luzia kingdom?"

"Yup. He has contact from the west but not from the Luzia kingdom."

"Don't tell me he has contact with the northern noble?"

"Yup."

"Huh. He must have a close connection with the northern noble."

 

She nods her head and takes another sandwich. We did not talk for a minute, enjoying the sight in front of us while eating the food.

 

"Do you have a dream, Gwyn?"

"Hmmm?"

 

I look at her while swallowing the food down. Silvanna looks into the distance with an unreadable expression.

 

"Dream. Do you have them?"

"Of course. I want to make my family happy and safe. I also want to make sure the southern territory prospers and show the northern people that we are not savages."

 

She looks at me for a few seconds before smiling.

 

"You are truly a kind person, huh? Even your dream is about the people and not about yourself."

 

Well, she did not know that my previous life was a nightmare. Laying on the bed all day long without doing anything is torture. The pain from my illness and the numbness from all the drugs the doctor gave me. It was truly a nightmare I didn't want to experience again.

 

I long for family, and I only get it in this life. I don't want to waste it.

 

My dream is for my family. I want the name of Cunningham to be known throughout the world.

 

"What about you? What is your dream?"

 

She looks at the sunset and smiles a little.

 

"I want to be an adventurer. I want to see the world. I want to see the Land of Always Winter on the northern continent. I want to see the ocean and explore it on a ship. I want to see the biggest volcano on the Eastern continent. I want to see the Blood Forest on the Western continent. I want to see them all."

 

Her smile turns into a sad smile a second later.

 

"Sadly, it will never happen."

"Oh? Why?"

"I'm an heiress, you know? Even if my mother has another child, I will still be the heiress of my house. I have a duty to perform and cannot explore the world. I am already grateful that I can explore some of the southern territory when I do my noble duty last year."

 

Silvanna looks at me and says,

 

"Hey, Gwyn."

"Hmmm? What is it?"

"Can you answer a hypothetical question from me?"

"Sure. Ask away."

"If somehow we are married, can I still explore the world?"

"Hmmm, if we are married, huh? I don't think so."

 

I can see her expression turn into sadness.

 

"However, when we are only a fiance? Sure. I will even take you to see the world."

"Really?"

"Yes. As much as I want to say yes, you can explore the world after we get married, I know that you don't have time to do it. In my mind, a lady of the house duty is not only producing an heir for the lord like many people thought it was. No. The Lady of the house's real duty is to help the lord take care of the land. Even the wisest king needs the guidance of his queen to be a perfect king. We cannot rule alone and the first companion that will help you is your wife or husband."

 

I look at Silvanna and say.

 

"That's why I cannot let you explore the world every day because I need you. Once a year? I don't mind it but every day? I don't think it was a great decision. However, when we are still only engaged, I can take you to explore the world and let you do it if you want to go alone."

"Are you not afraid that I'm cheating on you when I'm exploring the world?"

"The feeling of fear and doubt will always be there, but a great relationship is being built on honesty and trust. I will trust you not to cheat on me, so I will suppress the feeling of doubt and fear. However, I also expect you to not cheat on me for my trust will not be easily earned back if you broke it."

 

I can see her smile at me, and when I look at her eyes, I can see a fire of determination in them. I just stepped on a landmine, didn't I?

Hey, I have Patreon, where you can read my other works or go to my Paypal to encourage me to write this novel more! For every $2, I will write 1k words chapter, and for every $1, I will add 500 words more. I will try to write as fast as possible and then post it immediately. I will not force anyone to donate, as you spending your time reading my fic is enough for me. Have a good day!

189