Chapter 8: A Lesson in Diplomacy
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Child of the Maw, Draped in nightmares.

 

Trekking across the Alterran floor.

 

Twisting your tendrils into Avian affairs

 

A kinship built on vile rapport.

 

Play your games and have your fun.

 

Bring low the obsidian Lord of Murder.

 

Collect your bright-eyed, winged son,

 

And drive the war machine ever further.

Tetra and an unknown companion venture into the heart of Alterra, winding their way through the dense forests that stretch as far as the eye can see. The canopy overhead is a tapestry of green, with towering trees that seem to touch the sky. The air is filled with the sounds of rustling leaves and chirping birds, only to drown in a carpet of soft, springy moss that envelops the forest floor. 

 

As they venture deeper into the forest, the trees become thicker and more tightly packed, their trunks gnarled and twisted. The sunlight filters through the leaves, casting dappled shadows onto the earth. 

 

Tetra takes a moment to inspect his surroundings, his eyes finally resting on the tall, muscular woman that attends him. She pauses with Tetra, using the opportunity to inspect her armament: a blade with a height comparable to her own made from a black metal that voids any light that touches it. The golden sunlight bounces off of her plate armor, casting rays throughout the dense woodland. Finishing her inspection, she rushes to catch up with Tetra who has already walked off. 

"So what exactly are we doing out here in the backwoods of Alterra?" she asks, her voice carrying with the wind.

 

Tetra turns to her with a knowing smile, "Today we are here to collect an offering from the Ebonfeather clan. I've cultured an alliance with them for a few decades now."

 

The woman scoffs, "What could they possibly offer us that we wouldn't just be able to take for ourselves?"

 

Tetra sighs heavily, "Pay close attention to how the events of today play out, my dear Nocteria. Today you will learn a very valuable lesson in diplomacy."

 

"What does that even mean Tetra?" Nocteria retorts, already growing tired of his riddles.

 

"Just hush and follow my lead. We're almost there," Tetra responds, slightly annoyed.

 

As they continue through the dense jungle, the trees begin to thin, revealing a clearing of large trees. Nocteria gasps as she sees the tops of the trees, which are brimming with a cascade of treehouses of various shapes and sizes, each adorned with intricate carvings and designs.

 

Approaching the base of a thick tree, a masked Avian guard steps forward, "State your name and purpose."

 

"Tetra Noctum of the Netherian Army," Tetra responds, his sly smile revealing his eyes from underneath his hood. 

 

The guard's eyes widen in fear as he stammers, "R-right away sir!" He looks upwards and shouts, "Lower the lift!" A caw is heard in response as a wooden lift, suspended by vines, is lowered to the forest floor. Tetra and Nocteria enter the simple machine, and it slowly ascends, taking them higher and higher into the treetops. As the contraption creaks and groans its way toward its destination, the Netherians catch glimpses of the Ebonfeather village: a resplendent cascade of treehouses stretching around the forest canopy, each more breathtaking than the last. 

 

“Wow…” Nocteria whispers, awestruck at the Avians' handiwork.

 

“An impressive bit of work, no doubt. Valthyria really cleaned the place up since the marriage of House Aykerwilde and Hominae, hence the white and black feathers adorning the houses,” Tetra explains. 

 

“We should get some of these birds to come work on the castle. I love Kirin, but his masonry lacks a certain… elegance, ” Nocteria pouts. 

 

“Worry not, my dear. We won’t be leaving this place empty-handed, ” Tetra responds, coyly.

 

Finally, the duo reach the top of the lift and exit onto a log bridge, which leads straight to the Great Hall at the end of the walkway. Two guards step forward, gesturing down the path with a silent nod.

 

As Tetra and Nocteria make their way toward the great hall, the citizens of the village slam and close their doors shut, people look at them with fear and then hurry away in the opposite direction.

 

A child stares at Tetra as he passes by, but before he can say anything, Tetra gives him a quick "boo" causing the child to cry uncontrollably.

 

"If only I had a snowball…" he thinks to himself. 

 

Approaching the hall, their escorts turn towards them, specifically looking at Nocteria.

 

"Before you enter the great hall, we’d ask that you surrender your weapons," the shorter of the two guards commands.

 

Nocteria scoffs. "As if," she retorts, placing a careful hand on the hilt of her blade. The two guards in front of them ready their spears as two more Avians on the steps of the Hall nock and aim their arrows.

 

"I’m afraid we won’t be asking again. Weapons, please," the taller guard insists.

 

Tetra smiles. "Now now, there is no need for such hostility. We come in peace," he says, and the Lord of the village walks out of the hall with a resounding squawk of astonishment.

 

"WHAT DO YOU BUFFOONS THINK YOU’RE DOING?! LOWER YOUR WEAPONS THIS INSTANT!" the black feathered Lord shouts, hurrying towards Tetra, placing a hand on his shoulder, and leading him into the great hall.

 

"I cannot apologize enough for the incompetence of my guardsmen. Are you and your Lady alright, Lord Tetra?" Lord Aykerwilde asks with concern.

 

"Why yes, my Lord Aykerwilde. Thank you for your concern. I’m sure these guards will be punished accordingly," Tetra replies calmly.

 

"Of course, Lord Tetra. I’ll see to it that they receive swift punishment for their insolence. Please, come in," the middle-aged crow agrees, gesturing towards the entrance of the great hall.

The trio enters the structure. Polished wooden floorboards, many decades old creak underfoot. The interior of the hall is illuminated by the warm glow of lanterns and sunlight filtering through the leafy canopy, allowing the sweet fragrance of redwood and fresh leaves, accompanied by the sound of rustling branches filtering in through the open air of the vestibule. The space is grand and luxurious, with rustic wooden beams stretching overhead and large windows that offer breathtaking views of the surrounding forest. 

 

Several guards and nobility stand and turn with a scowl as Tetra enters the hall and the tranquil sounds of the forest are soon drowned out by a flood of murmurs. 

 

Lady Aykerwilde, seated upon her throne, regards Tetra with a cold, piercing gaze as he enters the hall. She stands and curtsies, a motion that Tetra barely acknowledges as he glides over to her and kisses her hand. A sly smile peeks out from under his hood as he does so.

 

"Lady Aykerwilde," he hisses through clenched teeth.

 

Lord Aykerwilde clears his throat as he takes his place upon a throne comprised of gnarled branches, draped in lush green vines and adorned with shimmering crystals. 

 

"Let's get down to business shall we?" he asks, drawing Tetra's attention away from his wife.

 

"Ah, but of course," Tetra replies smoothly. "I believe I am due for an offering today, right Lord Aykerwilde?"

 

Lord and Lady Aykerwilde exchange glances, and Lady Aykerwilde nods at her husband before grasping his hand tightly.

 

"Forgive me, Lord Tetra, but my wife and I..." Lord Aykerwilde begins meekly, but Tetra interrupts him.

 

"Hmm, what's that? I can't seem to hear what you're saying, milord," Tetra says with a sinister smirk. "Please, milord, speak clearly so my Lady and I can hear you."

 

Lord Aykerwilde clears his throat once again, his voice trembling. "Forgive me, Lord Tetra, but my wife and I cannot offer you tribute this time."

 

Tetra's face becomes obscured by his hood, and the light in the room grows dimmer.

 

"What's that, Lord Aykerwilde?" Tetra asks in a low, menacing voice. "I don't think I heard you correctly."

 

"We would just like to renegotiate the terms of our-" Lord Aykerwilde starts to say, almost yelling, but Tetra cuts him off.

 

Tetra's eerie smile pops out from under his hood once again, and he places an ominous hand on the terrified Lord's shoulder.

 

Tensions in the air grow oppressive and begin to weigh down on the assembled people as the mage's minatory presence looms over the cowering crow.

 

"Lord Aykerwilde, we're friends, right?" Tetra inquires with a chilling smile.

 

Lord Aykerwilde stammers, his voice trembling with fear, "Wh-why yes, Lord Tetra, I'd say that we are."

 

Tetra nods, his smile widening, "Very good! And friends do things for one another, right Lord Aykerwilde?"

 

Lord Aykerwilde can barely muster a response, his fear nearly paralyzing him. "O- Of course, Lord Tetra!"

 

Tetra turns to the audience, his arms outstretched, "Of course!" He turns back to Lord Aykerwilde, his expression turning grave.

 

“Of. Course.” the maleficent Netherian barks at the fearful Lord. 

 

"Now with that point made abundantly clear, let's take a look at what we have done for each other, shall we Dundanyr?" Tetra places another sudden hand on the terrified Lord's shoulder, causing him to squawk and look around the hall frantically.

 

"If I recall correctly, I believe I have offered to you the protection of," Tetra quickly leans in close, whispering directly to the Lord, "and from," He speaks loudly again, “The Netherian army. And in exchange, I merely ask for a simple offering once every few years until I've had my fill. Now, Dundanyr. Do you believe that I am asking too much of you?"

 

Lady Aykerwilde pleads with her husband, her eyes filled with tears, but he avoids her gaze, casting his head towards the floor and shaking it "no".

 

Tetra turns from Lord Aykerwilde, clapping his hands together, "Fantastic! Now, bring me the boy." Lord Aykerwilde nods solemnly at one of his attendants, his face filled with a sense of despair.

 

As the attendants bring in a small Avian child holding a book and a toy bow and arrow, the great hall falls silent, save for Nocteria who breaks the silence by jovially skipping over to the child. 

 

“Oh, what an adorable little thing you are! Tetra! Can we keep him? Please?” she pleads to the Dark Lord. 

 

She scoops up the child with a gentle grace as Tetra watches on, a faint smile hidden beneath his hood.

 

"Why don’t we ask his parents, Nocteria?” he laughs venomously. His piercing red eyes turn to the defeated lord. “ What do you say Dundanyr? Can we keep him?" he sarcastically inquires, a wicked grin stretched wide across his face. 

 

The Lord falls to his knees, sobbing and pointing to the door. "Please… Just go…"

 

Ignoring Dundany's plea, Tetra turns back to Nocteria, a sinister glint in his eye. "Sounds like we’re keeping him!"

 

Nocteria lightly tosses the child into the air with glee, her voice, aflutter with excitement. "Yay!"

 

Tetra bows to the defeated Lord with a sly smirk. "A pleasure as always, Lord Aykerwilde." And with that, he exits the hall with Nocteria, the young boy held tightly in her arms.

As the Netherians depart the great hall, leaving Lord and Lady Aykerwilde on the floor in despair, Tetra and Nocteria make their way back toward the lift. They pass by a crowd of Avians gathered around the corpses of the guards that previously accosted them.

 

Descending back to the forest floor, they are observed from above by Lord and Lady Aykerwilde, who nod at one of their guardsmen. On the ground, Tetra and Nocteria prepare for their trek out of Alterra.

 

Tetra turns to his companion, "Now, did you learn a lot, Nocteria?"

 

"I did, in fact, Tetra, thank you," the swordswoman replies.

 

Tetra warns, imitating a stern parent, "Don’t thank me quite just yet. You still have one more lesson to learn."

 

As he takes the child from Nocteria, she unsheathes her sword and holds it at eye level ready for combat as four of the Ebonfeather guard flap down and surround the Netherian pair, swords, and spears drawn. 

 

"And what lesson might that be, Tetra?" Nocteria inquires playfully. 

 

"Netherians do not use diplomacy," Tetra declares, as both of their eyes flash crimson. 

 

The group stands perfectly still for a moment before one of the spearmen charges Nocteria aiming for her chest. She brings her blade down to her side and pivots to the right before striking upward, cutting the armament in half and swinging the blade around the assailant, taking his head off with it. As she completes her pirouette, the second spearman charges her, hoping to get in a lucky shot. She quickly slides underneath the spear, hacking the crow's legs off before re-standing and driving her massive blade through the spearman's chest and driving it into the ground. 

 

The remaining two Avians charge the now unarmed Nocteria in tandem, letting out their battle caws. Nocteria chuckles as a bladesman whiffs his blow and catches a fist to the stomach sending him flying upwards into the trees. The next fight tries to strike her from her blindside, but Tetra trips him and she catches him by the feathers on his head. Mustering her strength, she rips the bird’s beak off and impales him in the chest with it, and throws him to the ground. 

 

With the battle nearly concluded, Nocteria retrieves her sword, sliding the Avian corpse off of it and clearing it of blood before pointing it directly upwards, just in time for the first swordsman to come crashing down upon it, ending his life instantly. 

As the carnage subsides, Tetra gives one last smile to the Lord and Lady Aykerwilde before he and Nocteria begin to stride away into the horizon with their Offering.

 

“Why, Dundanyr… Why do you keep allowing him to do this to us…'' Lady Aykerwilde speaks feebly, a crumpled mess on the floor. 

 

“Because, my sweet Faralees…” Lord Aykerwilde starts, tears streaming down his face, voice stricken with fear and grief. “That man will be the end of us all…”

A few weeks after his visitation in Alterra, Tetra sits in his study, surrounded by ancient tomes and magical artifacts, scribbling away in his leather-bound journal The faint sound of Arcane and Nocteria, bickering in the background accompanied by the occasional crash of Kirin crushing rocks. 

 

Suddenly, a deafening crash jolts Tetra from his work, and a gust of wind sends his precious pages flying in all directions.

 

Tetra jumps to his feet, his jet-black robes swirling around him as he surveys the chaos. "Lords, what the fuck was that!?" he exclaims, his voice echoing through the room.

 

Before he can gather his thoughts, a small, sickly-looking gray-skinned child bursts into the study, his eyes wide with panic. 

 

“Malkhovich! What’s going on!?” the mage exclaims.

"Father! Come quick!" he cries, tugging on Tetra's robes and dragging him towards the door.

 

Tetra stumbles outside, his eyes flicking upwards toward the sky. A massive white orb, brighter than even the Planetary Wyrm, looms ominously above them. It reflects in his piercing red eyes, and a shiver of malintent runs down his spine.

 

"So it would seem…" he mutters to himself, his eyes flashing a bright red as he unfurls an unnaturally long smile. "That I am not the only one who has been busy…"

0