Chapter 3
28 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cid was good at jewellery making, which was obviously a good reason to start that type of business. But that didn’t mean that was all to it. He had already thought about how Leonard’s jewellery business had quite a number of regular customers that would be hard to obtain, if they were obtainable at all. Then, on top of that, he might be able to get gems and stones cheap from his friend David, but he had to make sure he had everything else. He needed to get a building, a home, or possibly both together. He also wanted to make business propositions with the pottery people on the other side of town.

Argh, if only he had some time on his hands and had a regular payment to put away for this!

 

His stash of money was hidden with his papers to his father’s business and the idea on where to hide it was through his friend’s mother, Pauletta.

She had tried to find something that was right in front of her and still had trouble and so…Cid uses that same strategy with his secret stash!

His stepfather has probably looked at the blacksmithing shop and also his room…Many times!

But, did he ever consider that what he’s looking for was under his very nose?

It was a laughable matter, really!

For years, Cid had stashed his money there and then his papers there later, right in his Stepfather’s office!

 

Cid doesn’t go to his stepfather’s office unless he’s called to go there but…That isn’t hard!

Leonard would tell him to dust, stating he forgot to tell the workers to do it instead…Well, that and get firewood and put books away and write something for him and…So on…

And…In doing these chores it was also a way to nit pick and find a fault in him, especially when Leonard would get him to write. Having to play dumb and not write well, Cid already knew as soon as the words left Leonard’s mouth that he was going to be punished…

So, Cid only needed to wait for his stepfather to be away for a short moment, for him to put away his money, and then continue to work as though nothing had happened!

 

Simple, easy and so far…Nothing had been found.

Sadly, Cid knew that if his money was found, he’d lose it…As the first two times, when he had kept his money in his room, it had gone.

It was his papers that he was worried about but…What else was he to do?

Benjamin and Pauletta had already helped him out a great deal! He doesn’t even know how to repay them for all of their help! Only to ask for more help from them seemed completely wrong and he wasn’t going to do that!

 

Cid just couldn’t do it!

He had to rely on himself and so if the papers get taken and somehow his stepfather gains the ownership through finding it, then…So be it…

Keeping it from the stepfather this long has already tired him out and Cid also knew that he wasn’t looking at doing blacksmithing after he moved away anyway…What was worth it though, was not giving the man what he wanted!

That was what Cid was getting out of this!

If he can stop his stepfather from gaining something for nothing, then that was enough for now!

 

***

 

With four hours sleep, Cid was up once again to trot down the path and be the first person to enter into the jewellery factory.

The building wasn’t as big as you would think it would be, as jewellery making was mostly into storage of little things, but they now made wire here, which took up a bit of space because of the materials there that was used for it.

Boxes, compartments and draws were filled with itty bitty pieces and for some reason, Cid felt like it was his home.

He had gotten into jewellery crafting full time after his mother had died, instead of beforehand of only doing it on a few occasions.

His mother had started him onto it, as she had played with her new husband’s itty-bitty bits and so…Those times were refreshed in his mind when coming here.

 

His mother was not a businessperson, she wouldn’t have had any idea upon how to keep the blacksmithing business his father owned going.

That was why David’s parents took over the shop after his father had died…

His mother was a wonderful lady, putting him first and trying to balance everything out…The problem was, she didn’t choose to well in obtaining a husband…Back then, Leonard had acted well and did not show his true self, making Cid ever so reluctant to marry in the future…

Cid found out that his mother had even put him first when he had mourned his father’s death, finding her crying alone a few weeks later, mumbling out his father’s name…

 

It wasn’t long after his mother remarried that his father’s memories became a bit blurry, where upon only words were remembered, not his face. Yet, now that his mother had perished years ago, he remembers his mother’s smiling face quite clearly, but could not remember everything except the good times.

Well, Cid strived on his memories on his parents and maybe he thought about his father’s words and his mother’s good times the most, therefore maybe forgetting the rest? He wasn’t sure but that would be reason enough for him and once he accepted that as an answer, he no longer thought about it.

 

“Ah! There you are!”

Cid knew that voice…It was Steven…

The last time Steven had talked to him, he wanted to change the people that had been at his father’s shop, that had worked there for over a decade…The time before that he had said that he was not worthy of being in the Princess’s presence…What will his stepbrother want this time?

“I’ve come to inform you that those two lowly servants in the blacksmithing shop have been dismissed. Don’t be worried though, I have placed two others there to continue their work.”

Cid stopped what he was doing and just stared at his brother.

The two people that he kept at the blacksmithing shop had been his father’s friends.

He remembered them and they were also loyal…

 

“Is there a problem?” Steven asked, smirking at him.

Cid kept himself from getting angry and tried to remember what words he should be using instead, “Oh? They were not good people?”

“Of course not! They were terribly rude! If they were to stay there, they would ruin the business! No, I told them that if they had any courtesy, they would leave on their own accord!”

Hiding his hand away from his stepbrother’s eyes, Cid clenched and unclenched it, “If…If they are bad people then…I understand.”

You’re a nasty person! How dare you think you could do this!

“Don’t worry, little brother, they are loyal to me and will report to me so that I can look after the business!”

Cid desperately wanted to laugh!

Loyal to you!?

 

It has come to this!

At least your father has not come this far!

Cid could see that extra bit of ego that this boy has got, whereas his father might have a bit more brains!

It is done!

Since his eldest stepbrother wants to even take management off Benjamin, then I will then close the shop! It’s not like my father’s friends are still there to worry about now!

“Thank you, stepbrother!”

“It is what I should do!” Says Steven.

Ho! Well done!

Cid clapped for Steven in his mind, thinking that he was a pure idiot!

 

His stepbrother walked out happily, like he was on air.

Taking a deep breath and waiting until he was out of eyesight, Cid grabbed his coat and left.

He was already coming up with a plan to use this information as a reason to close the shop.

He will say, ‘Did you not say that the shop was not making me any money? What is wrong with closing it?’

His stepfather will get mad and state about not closing it but giving it to him and then Cid was thinking of something like, ‘My stepbrother brought in two new people, how can I pay them? They will most likely want more then the last people who were my father’s friends! I can’t afford anything anymore, so I just think it’s better to shut it down. Doesn’t’ that make more sense?’

Cid got out his money, but frowned, he had only recently put money in his stash, so he didn’t have much left.

It looks like he will have to walk!

 

As Cid continued to walk towards where his friend lived, he continued potential conversations in his head.

‘Don’t worry, boy.’ His stepfather might say, ‘I’ll get those two people back for you, then we can bring it back to as it once was!’

Crossing a road, Cid suddenly stopped at the end and turned…

Sighing, he raised his eyebrows and waved with his hand.

Seeing the little figure come out and sheepishly smile at him, he waved his arm again.

If you’re coming, then come!

Waiting for the pretty Princess to cross the road, he began to walk straight away. “You are up early, Your Highness.”

“Hey! What happened to Ethan! I’m Ethan!”

Cid didn’t have time to play around, “Ethan, you are up early today.”

“Better!”

 

Cid took her hand and brought her away from someone who was transporting goods.

Continuing on, he released her hand, only for her to hold it again.

“Princess…” Cid said, stopping and looking at her.

“Obviously I need your help…” She looked around, clearly not wanting to look at him and he couldn’t help but feel that for a little while he might be blessed.

“Let’s go! Oh…Where are we going?”

Cid started walking again and was ever so distracted with the hand holding onto his.

It wasn’t the first time…No…

Dammit!

 

“Oh, I know where we are going!”

Cid smiled, hearing Bethany’s happiness.

It was what she wanted to do yesterday!

Leading the way to his friend’s place of residence, Cid continued to make sure that the pretty Princess did not step in puddles, unless she wanted to, and did not get in the path of other people.

Really, it never used to be so hard to walk through the street with her!

Now, he was worried all the time!

Cid could only sigh in his heart…Telling it not to care so much.

 

After quite a number of minutes, Cid finally came to house that was well situated and well attained. It wasn’t a rich mansion, like that of his stepfather’s, but it was not poor.

Cid already knew that Benjamin would not be there. They had their own business to worry about, so he would most likely be taking up the last lot of orders from people for when they leave in less than two weeks’ time.

Knocking on the door, Cid looked at Bethany and pulled their hands up.

Seeing her blush, Cid held in a smile and finally his hand was loose.

Looking away, already distracted enough as it is, it was only a second after that he saw Pauletta opening the door.

 

“Cid, my dear. Come in, come in!”

“Auntie!” Cid stated, a normal thing in such a circumstance.

She wasn’t his Auntie, but she was more than ‘Pauletta’.

“Auntie!” Bethany had seemed to be behind Cid, always hiding…

“Princess!” Pauletta went to bow but Bethany stopped her.

“Quick!” Princess Bethany stated, pushing her inside.

Cid then suddenly saw a hand coming out to him and was pulled inside the door by his collar.

 

Being pulled in like that, Cid was surprised and grabbed onto Bethany’s waist to support both of them.

Without rational thought, Cid stared at the pretty Princess, unable to process anything else but how close they were and pretty she was…She really was a natural, he couldn’t find any makeup on her face at all…

Seeing her blush once again, Cid took a breath and quickly let her go.

Turning, trying to get his brain to work, he saw Pauletta and blinked…Right!

“Where is Uncle?”

Pauletta smiled at him, “He said that he was going to your father’s shop today, someone came over yesterday evening…I’m not quite sure what is happening, but I have faith that Ben will do the best he can!”

Cid shook his head, “It is not that I don’t have faith in Uncle, Auntie. Be assured that you two are great to me and I know it and am grateful. I was just here to shut the shop down.”

“What!” Pauletta stated.

 

Cid sighed and scratched his head, “I don’t want people there that aren’t my own, so I’m shutting it down.”

Pauletta frowned and then mumbled, “Is that what happened?”

Watching her widen her eyes, she looked back at him, and said, “Those damned people! It was them wasn’t it! If it’s not the father, it was the little brat of a son that man has got!”

“It doesn’t matter, Auntie. Since Ben is there, I will go there myself and make sure the process is complete.”

“Oh…Well, take our carriage…” Pauletta stated, clearly unhappy.

As much as Cid preferred to not accept more help from Pauletta, he held his pride and nodded to her. He knew the time wasn’t now to make things harder for himself!

Cid knew that she always wanted the best for him and always tried to say so, but he couldn’t stay longer if he was to catch his uncle while he was at the shop. “I have to go, Auntie. Forgive Ben if he is home late.”

 

“Of course, my dear, of course! You do what you feel is best! I’ll…I’ll look after the Princess!”

“But I want to go with Cid!”

Cid looked at the Princess and smiled, “You can stay here, Ethan!”

“No, wait!”

But Cid ran out, quickly getting onto the carriage, waiting for Pauletta to finish telling someone where to take him.

In no time, the Princess ran out and started running towards him and Cid looked at her sternly, “Princess, you must stay here!”

Cid melted at her pouting look and nearly gave in then and there.

“But I want to go with you.”

My dear, help me say no to you!

Instead of saying no to the Princess, Cid turned to the driver and said, “Go!”

Looking back, Cid sighed, seeing the pretty Princess angry and putting her hands across her chest.

 

“My dear Princess, he has business. As a woman you need to understand this side of a man!”

“I don’t want to!”

Pauletta took the Princess’s hand and smiled, “If you are keen on marrying that young man, my dear, then you must accept that sometimes he would prefer to do some things on his own.”

The Princess swallowed and looked away, “But…”

“My dear, if you crowd him too much, he will only step away…You remember what I said? That he may not have you in his mind because he has so much other things to think about?”

“Yes, but…”

Pauletta put her other hand over the Princess, “Well, I think he does have you in mind, so you are one step further ahead.”

“Wha…Really!?” The Princess grabbed onto Pauletta’s hand and gave her a dazzling smile.

 

“Did he not stare at you then, Princess? I saw it with my own eyes!” Pauletta smiled back.

For so long this Princess had been head over heals in love with Cid…It was almost sad!

“Really, you really believe that he sees me now? Not just as a friend?”

Pauletta nodded, but then stopped and firmly stared at her, “Remember though, Cid needs to find his way. Let him…”

“I know…He needs to break away from that family!”

Pauletta nodded, looking towards the carriage, that was now nearly out of eyesight. “We all want this for him. The faster the better but…He is so stubborn, just like his father!”

Yes, Pauletta and Benjamin had wanted to help him more, much more, but Cid no longer wants any more help.

“I know how stubborn he is, Auntie!”

“Mmm, I believe you do, Princess…I believe you do!”

The two women looked out, holding each other’s hands, both filled with worry and a certain impatience.

 

***

 

Cid walked into his father’s blacksmithing shop and choose not to let himself think of the past.

He knew these walls, the stones, the metal, how hot…

There was no time for that…

Looking around, he saw that Benjamin wasn’t here.

I must have just missed him, Cid thought.

Then, looking at the two guys sitting together with their hands folded, Cid took in a deep breath before letting his anger show…

They weren’t blacksmith’s…They were loyal subordinates, more like servants of Steven…

Having used to serving Steven, it seems their new job was to take over this establishment…

 

Trying to come up with a stupid look on his face, Cid could hardly contain it!

“Who…Are you?”

They walked up to him and saw them smirk, “We are your new boss!”

The other stated, “You know us! Did you forget?”

Cid did not forget!

Steven had never touched him, but these two have…

And just as he thought that, Cid felt pain in his stomach…

Ok…He thought this might have been easier…

His initial thoughts were to come here, shut the business down, dismiss these two and be gone again…Then go back and pretend that he thought he did what…

A punch came across his face and Cid fell to the side, and even though he had his hands and knees helping him, he still hit his head on the side of an anvil.

 

Hearing laughter, Cid couldn’t even open his eyes.

His head hurt so much!

“That’s enough, we can’t kill him.”

Hearing footsteps walking away, Cid heard silence afterwards and put a hand to his head.

He was bleeding…

Getting into a sitting position on the floor, Cid couldn’t believe that even as an owner of a shop, he would still get beaten up.

With such a huge headache, Cid tried to focus on bandaging his wound, but he felt like it took forever to do.

“Here!”

Something fell before him and Cid was surprised to see the two man had come back…

He thought they wouldn’t…

…His head hurt so much that he didn’t even know what they had thrown down to him on the floor!

1