(Vol2)62. Pest Extermination
2.1k 14 184
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(Note: Kate von Turner, one of William's wives, is a different person from Kate Lesto Silver, the woman Samuel saved from the first dungeon. To avoid confusion, I will address Kate Lesto Silver using Katey since that is her nickname.)

Two months have passed since the young master Samuel's death. Madam Maile disappeared without a trace and left the mansion vacant. Only a few workers stay behind to maintain the mansion as a loyalty.

The ferocious raging snow shows no sign of easing off. Supply of food is increasingly growing slim with the biggest source being imported from Rodgof.

Katey and Rena walk to the grave beside the mansion to find Orca cleaning it. 

"Ah, Rena," Orca says.

Rena smiles and greets her, Orca glance at the lady beside Rena.

"This is Kate Lesto Silver." 

"Greetings," Katey replies with a smile. 

"S-Silver?! It's an honour!" Orca says and bows.

Katey scratches her head and looks down. "Please rise, my family's reputation precedes me. Call me Katey." 

"Uh...I am Orca Silvee, an ordinary maid." 

Rena glanced at the grave. Samuel's name is carved on the tombstone. Snow around the grave is partially cleared with a bucket of water and cloth beside them. Orca was cleaning the grave. 

"Do you mind if we help?" Rena asks.

"No! But Ms Katey-"

"It's okay, my position within my household isn't something to brag and I have experiences with chores," says Katey. 

"...Alright, lady Katey," Orca says.

"Drop the lady, it sounds off." 

They start cleaning the grave, Rena comes here once every week to clean and chat with Orca. 

"This is a first," Katey says. "I thought you despise aristocracy."

"Only incompetent and leeches."

"Wasn't Samuel the very definition of those?" 

Rena sighs. "I thought so too...Ironically, he was more honourable than the majority." 

Katey breathes out cold mist upon her palm and mumbles "I envy you, I don't even have a chance to thank him properly." 

The Silver bloodline is one of a Duke, similar to Turner. However, they have many branches of families and each family is classified as the "Main Family" and "Side Family".  

Katey belongs to a side family. Thus, her parents trained and fed her specifically to marry Katey away. That's why they restricted her freedom to keep her image as a pure maiden. Naturally, they won't allow her to even approach Samuel.

"Anyways, I heard the story from Radz. He wasn't anything like the rumours." Katey says. She looks up and notices Rena staring solemnly at the snow.

"It was not your fault. It was Samuel's decision."

"I know," says Rena yet her expression gives away her feelings. She feels slightly responsible. Constant thoughts of "What if" barrage her mind. What if she was stronger and faster? Would she have saved more life? Would Samuel not have died? 

Katey places her hand around Rena.

"You take on too much burden..."

Rena tries to force a smile. "It's okay. Someone has to take the burden." 

Katey frowns. "You will break down at this rate." 

...

"I won't," Rena says. 

...

Suddenly, some rumbles within Rena's coat. 

She takes out a glowing orb from her pocket. 

"What is it?" She asks.

"My apologies for the disruption, there is something that requires your immediate attention at the capital Jinka." says a man on the other side. "One of our brothers was arrested for attempted murder towards noble Li." 

"What?!" 

She looks at Katey and she returns a nod. 

"I will be there soon."

The orb dims and Rena gulps. "Have you finished the investigation?"

"Yes, we've found much evidence of Li's fund embezzlement, slavery trading, forced prostitution, and most importantly I forged evidence of him as a traitor," Katey says with a smirk. 

Chills send down Rena's spine, she wasn't expecting that much. Katey has established an underground spying connection that reaches throughout Elvis and partially into Rodgof despite her upbringing and household. In fact, 30 per cent of the workers in her household are her subordinates. 

They wave goodbye to Orca and get on their horse to travel back to JInka. 

=================================================================

Rena and Katey reach the prison and notice an obese man in an expensive blue-black coat and thick pants. With gelled-up hair and a disgusting beard, he glares at Rena. He gestures for Rena to come to him which she complies with.

"Wait here," she mumbles to Katey.

*thud thud thud*

"You, how do you plan to take responsibility?" Li says. The two knights beside him try to hide their hostility but they instantly give their intention away. Rena realises this is a scheme against her. 

Since she was recently promoted to General Captain, the 4th highest rank in the military, despite her peasant origin, many nobles dread her presence diminishing their influence. Especially when she is hailed as the Knight of Justice when she continuously saves lives asking for nothing in return. Long story short, they fear revolution and retribution. 

"My apologies, I do not understand your statement." 

Li clicks his tongue. "This is why I loathe filthy peasants with no education. What the fuck were they thinking promoting a useless bitch like you."

Rena holds in her anger.

"That useless piece of shit-"

"...You claim that my subordinate has committed an unforgivable sin but nothing has been set in stone yet." Rena decides to directly taunt him.

?!

"What's with that arrogant tone?"

"I will speak with respect when you earn it."

"D-Do you think having a General Captain position puts you on the same podium as me?" says Li.

"Yes, Baron Li. Did you flunk your education? A General Captain has the same authority as your status." says Rena.

"Ugh..."

Her overpowering aura instinctively forces the knights to back off. Li clenches his fist and walks away. "We will see who wins. All nobles are on my side."

...

She ignores Li and enters the prison with Katey. They stop only before the cell of a man with a good physique and long messy brown hair. The man looks up and widens his eyes. "C-Captain...I..."

He crawls to Rena on the other side of the bars. Rena goes down to help him out. 

"I'm sorry..." the man says.

"It's alright, Mark. I will handle this," Rena says with a gentle smile. 

Her direct subordinates in the Everlasting Knights are picked by Rena and each has a strong sense of justice in addition to Loyalty, making them part of Rena's "family". As the head of her family, there is no way she will back down when her junior is being tormented. 

184