(Vol2)63. Pest Extermination(2)
2.2k 3 179
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Mark, what happened?" Rena asks.

He looks out of the cell to the left and right.

"Don't worry we are alone and Madam Kate placed a barrier." 

Mark stares down at the floor, clenching his fist.

"He was going after my wife. When she rejected him, he tried to frame her for stealing. While the knight pinned her down, he molested her. Out of rage, I attempted to cut him down." 

Rena squeezes her gaze. 

"That fat bastard has been trying to flirt with my wife for the past few months when we were at war. After I left for battle, he would strike," says Mark.

"And now that he couldn't hold it anymore, he went to the extreme," Rena says. 

Mark nods.

Li has been making sheep's eye at Mark's wife but did not overstep his boundary. Now he suddenly forces his way through? It seems too much of a coincidence when it happens the moment Rena was promoted. 

It gives red flags of people supporting Li, Rena is most likely the target of this scheme. 

Usually, peasants who attempt to murder nobles can be executed on the spot yet Li spared him and threw him behind bars under the pretext of respect for Rena. Bullshit. They were waiting for Rena. 

One week later, he will be executed in the public's eye. 

"You will die unless Rena steps in. The witnesses and jury have all been bought over by noble Li. I suspect that the other nobles are in on this as well but only using Li as a scapegoat." says Katey. "Good decision, that fat pig is dumb." 

The final judgement will be passed by the heir to the throne, Prince Levy Os Vin Keld. He is the only one not approached by the nobles due to his firm conviction in fairness and selflessness. 

"Your wife might even be in on this," Rena says.

"What?! Why? But we..." Mark exclaims.

"I don't think she wants to betray you willingly. I've met her. Have you thought of anything important to you other than her?" 

Mark glances around and jolts. "Right...my son! He is attending the Academy of Magic, an institution funded by the nobles. Is that bastard..." 

Rena looks at Katey who returns a nod, confirming the truth. 

It's not easy for a peasant to enter the Academy of Magic. Mark's son worked incredibly hard to enter but a single word is enough to expel and put a bad reputation on him. 

This scheme presents Rena with two options, side with "justice" to save her subordinate or save her reputation. 

...

"It's alright," Mark says. He looks up into Rena's eyes. "Just...take care of my family. I can go but you cannot. Please, you are our only hope. I cannot allow myself to drag you down." 

There are hints of fear and sadness in his voice. 

"No...I will save you. If I can't win a battle of wits against evil then I don't deserve to be your captain." Rena says with a bright smile. 

!

"Captain..." 

She leaves with Katey, leaving Mark crying. 

"If they want to play dirty, I will entertain them." Rena mumbles.

They approach the castle atop the middle of the capital and request a meeting with the prince.

The Elvis throne has two main competitors, Levy and Victor. Both have their ups and downs but Victor who has the noble's favour has a higher chance of success. Levy on the other hand focuses on the peasants. He feels that the country will not exist without their roots: Underpaid workers and the commoners who worked very hard for the empire.

Rena requested to meet Levy. At first, she was rejected by officials but Levy personally agreed to her meeting. 

She was escorted up the large castle to a pair of double brown doors. 

*Knock Knock* 

"Come in." 

The door swings open and reveals a blonde man wearing a blue coat laced with gold behind a desk. He is Levy, the second prince of Elvis. He puts his legs up on the table leisurely.

Rena bows at Levy. "Greetings, Your highness." 

Levy nods and extends his hand to the couch. Rena walks in but refuses to sit in Levy's presence. 

Levy smiles at her respect. 

"I've heard about you, Rena."

"I'm honoured."

Levy glance at a document on his table. "Are you here to ask for help regarding your subordinate? There is a limited amount of assistance I can provide at my current position."

Rena shakes her head. "Thank you but no, I am here for permission." she hands a file of papers to Levy. Levy checks the file and his grin widens. 

"I had my suspicions but this clears up everything," Levy says with a wide smile. 

================================== 

Three days later...

================================== 

Li walks out of his room drunk with two beautiful women wearing revealing clothes. He pulls his fat chunk of meat across the floor as red paints his face. "Hehehe...no one in this world can go against me...burp...not even the darn demon lord hahaha..." 

"Yes yes, that's right." The lady beside Li says.

Li stays in Mouse, a city built around a tall mountain with his mansion at the peak. The land surrounding Mouse is also governed by Li.

Unknown to Li, a group of assassins has attacked the property. A woman wrapped in complete black with a mask across her face jumps over the wall surrounding Li's mansion. 

A patrolling knight sees her and jolts but his reaction time falls behind her incredible speed. the woman strikes the knight's neck and knocks him out. Once he is down, two men in similar clothing jump in.

The woman looks around and pulls down her mask slightly to retrieve a paper inside, revealing herself to be Rena. 

The paper is a map. She jogs her memory of the layout and slips the paper back. 

Another group of men in full black shows up at the corner and gives Rena a thumbs-up. She nods and points at the open window to the second floor. The second group nods and heads in through the back door as Rena climbs to the second level. 

179