(Vol2)64. Pest Extermination(3)
2k 6 168
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The mansion consists of a backyard with a luxurious pool. Beside the pool is a hut where the workers gather to rest. 

"That's odd..." a man in the hut says as he stares at the ceiling.

"What?" the other man on the other side of the room says. 

"It's time for the shift change. Where are they?" 

"...I don't know." 

The mansion is quiet. Only two men stay in the hut awaiting their coworkers. 

*knock knock* 

?!

The men glance at one another. One of them grabs his sword and quietly heads for the door. 

He slowly reaches for the doorknob and pushes the door open. 

No one is there.

...

The second man pushes his coat aside to grip his dagger. The first man looks outside the door to the left and right but finds nothing. Suddenly, a thin string wraps around the man's neck and lifts him to the roof of the hut.

"ARGH?!" 

The second man dashes out of the hut just to spot a blade at the corner of his eye. 

*SKUSTT!!* 

The knife easily penetrates his throat and throws him to the ground.

"Arcgh...blegh...ngh..." He grasps his neck as blood erupts between his fingers. 

Two assassins dressed in completely black come into his sight. The dying man's crimson eyes gaze at them in confusion before they shut down. 

The intruder that killed him stares at the corpse with his eyes wide.

"Why did you kill him?" another intruder asks the killer.

"I...He suddenly ran out my instinct just..." the killer says. 

The intruder clicks his tongue and grabs the killer by his collar. "We are doing this to protect people, not to kill."

"I-I'm sorry..."

...

"Captain Rena will hear about this." 

The intruder throws the killer away.

They then pull the unconscious bodies into the hut and lock it. For the corpse, they dispose of it inside a bag and take it outside the mansion to bury. 

At the second level, Rena sneaks across the dark corridor. 

A maid with shoulder-length black hair and eyes strolls through the hallway with a lantern in her hand. 

"Hm?" she brings her lantern to her left and enters a room. 

...

"Was it my imagination?" the maid mumbles and left the room. 

In the shadow at the corner lies Rena. She releases her breath and breathes. Sliding her hand into her robe, she pulls out a small pill and pops it in her mouth. Her eyes start glowing and grant herself night vision. 

The small room she is in is full of different bookshelves. A small table with a chair and lamp stands alone across the room. 

Rena goes up to the table and searches through the drawers. Finally, she comes across an envelope and opens it. Inside is a transcript of an "order" sent to Li and a small card with a weird "eye" symbol. 

A mysterious metal plate with a bizarre carving drops out of the envelope to the floor.

*Thud* 

"Shit." Rena thought.

...

She immediately hides under the table to exercise caution but nobody comes.

Thinking it is safe, she goes out and picks up the metal plate. 

*Whoosh* 

!

Rena slides out a dagger from her robe and blocks an attack from behind. 

*CHING!* 

Both blades tremble in the dark. Her opponent is the same maid that passes by just now.

Rena kicks the maid away to gain some distance. The maid flawlessly flips and lands silently on her feet. "Who are you?" the maid asks. 

Rena stays silent with her dagger up. 

The maid clicks her tongue and scratches her hair. "I'm not paid enough for this." 

The maid dashes in and throws a slash at Rena. Rena deflects it before countering with a low slash, forcing the maid to jump back.

She takes the chance and throws a thrust at the maid mid-air. 

However, the maid steps on "air" and exerts force to push her body away, dodging the attack.

"Wha-" Rena exclaims.

The maid uses Rena's surprise and charges in. Within one blink, her blade was at Rena's neck. 

*CHING!* 

Rena's insane reaction time catches the maid off guard and throws her off. Her footsteps slow and Rena swoops in to parry the dagger away. The dagger flies into a bookshelf. 

Persistent as she is, the maid slides another dagger out from her dress and darts it at Rena. 

The isn't enough time, Rena's arm is swinging outwards and isn't fast enough to block. The distance is too near and trying to dodge is close to impossible. 

Thus, she is forced to go all out. A beam of mana aura extends from her dagger to shatter the maid's weapon into pieces, throwing her against the shelves in the process.

*BAM!* 

The shelves collapse onto the one behind and the cycle continues, throwing piles of dust into the air. 

The maid glances at Rena and closes her eyes. A small smile widens. "You are a sword master."

Rena nods. 

...

"Kill me...and move on. We made too much noise here." the maid says. 

Rena squats down to the maid and looks into her eyes. 

"I can see pain," says Rena. 

"That voice...you are...Rena?" the maid mumbles, her jaws dropping. 

...

"You are strong and were holding back. You secretly wish for me to win don't you? If so, why even try to protect Li?" says Rena.

"...We don't have the time but...please kill Li, if it's you, you can do it. Many people suffered under his reign...He has two grand sword masters guarding him. The only time they don't guard near is when Li has his...'little' fun, which is right now." says the maid.

In the end, Rena extends her hand to the maid. 

The maid gazes at her hand and takes it. "I will listen to your story later. If possible...I want you to join me. Introduce yourself later." Rena says with a smile and leaves. 

The maid gaze at Rena's back in awe. She clenches her chest and takes a deep breath. 

168