Chapter 128: Ulag Karguk
1.4k 4 46
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“It seemed like they have already begun,” said Lancel as he got out of the carriage and looked at the construction on both sides.
 
Before there were two small outposts on both sides, and they are present now, but around them are new constructions happening and they have already made good progress in three days.
 
The trade will need an infrastructure; the new constructions will house more guards here and inspectors.
 
We do not want any contraband to enter the empire through Navr.
 
Count Darrow wants enough trade that the expense of Mirador Hold will be paid by the taxes earned through it.
 
It cost a lot to maintain a fortress so huge, not just salaries and weapons, but also food, maintenance, and other things.
 
Currently, it is the Empire, the city of Greltheaven, and the Prince paying for it equally. The share, which the city pays, increases every month, and the share Prince pays reduces.
 
The number is huge. When I saw it the first time, my eyes had become big as saucers.
 
The plan is fortress supported fully by the city, within a year. More than half of the time of which had already passed.
 
It is a huge expenditure and the Count curse at whenever he sees knew the expense from the fortress. 
 
Count wants the taxes to pay for it all.
 
It is why the prince had been pressuring his uncle to form relations with Navr, but the Count had been holding off that pressure.
 
Having a relationship with an undead kingdom is not an easy thing. For a person like the Count, it could have great reputational damage if not handled well.
 
Thankfully, it is an undead who provided us with the opportunity and seeing what we had achieved. It could be said, we have made great use of the opportunity.
 
Trade with Navr had a huge potential; as we will not be the only ones doing it. The whole region will want its goods in the coming months and since we control the route, it will be us who will benefit the most.
 
It is not farfetched to say that taxes from the trade would be enough to run the fortress and it could happen sooner than the Count had imagined.
 
Lancel looked at the sites for a few seconds before turning to the half-orc, who was talking to Viscount Atre.
 
“Thank you, Captain Temha, for safely bringing us to empire,” said Lancel. “It is my pleasure, Lord Wilstein,” replied the half-orc.
 
Lancel nodded and walked toward the boundary of the empire, with guards surrounding him from all sides. 
 
Soon, our entire entourage crossed the small bridge and entered the empire. There, Commander Harrison Dane, along with a few familiar people, was already waiting for us.
 
“Lord Lancel, Viscount Atre. Welcome home,” he welcomes, with carpet and all. Wanting to fix his image from the last times' fiasco. 
 
“Thank you, Commander,” said Lancel, while Viscount just looked at him.
 
“Have you been able to track any assassins, Dane?” Viscount asked immediately, not letting him forget his failure.
 
The smile on Commander Dane’s face disappeared hearing the question and sparks of anger lit up, which he quickly doused and brought out an apologetic smile on his face. 
 
“My profound apologies, Viscount Atre, but it seemed like they had escaped,” he replied.
 
“No surprise,” said Viscount softly, but loud enough for everyone to hear, before walking toward the carriages on the other side.
 
There was silence for a moment before a loud voice broke it.
 
“Lord Lancel. Thank the war god you had returned safely. I had been wide awake at nights worrying about you,” said the grey-haired man in his mid-sixties, as he appeared in front of Lancel.
 
He is Baron Angus Lockridge, a House Ravenheart loyalist. He is a new noble and has a territory in the Nakar forest, all thanks to House Ravenheart.
 
“Navr wouldn’t dare to harm a single hair on my body,” Lancel boasted, and the smile on Baron Lockridge's face widened further.
 
“You are absolutely right, my lord. A slightest harm and empire would have rained down its fury on Navr,” he said. It was very hard not to roll my eyes hearing that.
 
Empire wouldn’t have done anything, even if Navr had killed Lancel. At most, there would have been a diplomatic protest and few show attacks. It is not an empire, it had been a few decades ago.
 
Lancel smiled at his words before walking toward the carriages and entering inside, with Commander Dane and Baron Lockridge with Mage York following behind.
 
I sat in my carriage with Ina and soon the entourage begin to move toward the fortress.
 
Little more than an hour later, our carriages walked in through the giant gates of the fortress. 
 
The carriage stopped. I got out of it with Ina, when suddenly a voice spoke in my mind. ‘Adviser Silver, Lord Lancel, is summoning you to his carriage,’ said the familiar voice.
 
I nearly jumped in alarm before I could calm myself down. 
 
It was the first time I had experienced the telepathic spell. It was from Mage York.
 
I did not waste any time and walked toward the carriage, and it seemed like I was not the only one who Lancel had summoned. Robin is also moving toward the carriage.
 
As we reached the carriage, Commander Dane walked out of it and his mood did not look good.
 
He walked away without saying anything. We shared a look, before entering inside the carriage.
 
“You have summoned us, my lord?” asked Robin. “Yes. I have called you to inform you that I will be leaving for Nakar baronies immediately, taking Remus and guards with me.”
 
“While you leave with Viscount Atre and brief father of mission’s success,” he said. 
 
Robin is clearly surprised as me, but he bowed in acceptance.
 
“If I may be bold, my lord, but traveling to Nakar baronies at this time will be dangerous. Especially when the Golag bandit leader is still out,” I said, and immediately Lancel and Baron Lockridge looked at me.
 
“I thought you were brave, Remus? Has the dungeon taken away all your bravery?” asked Lancel with a hint of mockery.
 
“Just being cautious, my lord,” I said and bowed. 
 
“Young Silver is right, my lord. We should stay in the fortress for a night and leave for Baron Lockridge’s territory in the morning,” added Mage York.
 
Hearing that, I felt relieved. 
 
I have read about the Gorlag bandit leader; he is very smart, and we should be cautious against him, even when he is all defeated.
 
“It will be fine, Mage York. Forget us and guards, Lord Lancel alone, would be enough to deal with bandit leader if he dared to show up in front of us,” said Baron Lockridge.
 
Mage York. He looked like he wanted to say something, but did not.
 
“You have five minutes to finish your business, Remus, and bring your guards with us.” 
 
“Viscount had said some good words about those islanders,” said Lancel. “As you command, my lord,” I said and bowed before walking out of the carriage.
 
Immediately, I went to Ina, who was waiting by the carriage.
 
“I will be leaving with Lord Lancel immediately,” I informed her. “I thought you were going to spend the night here?” she asked.
 
“That was the plan, but Lord Lancel wants to reach the Nakar baronies as soon as possible,” I replied and sighed.
 
I had planned to get her to use this place and introduce some people, but now, that won't be possible. She will have to do everything for her, adding more difficulties to her already difficult job.
 
“You go. Master Silver, I can handle everything here,” she said, as if reading my concern.
 
“I know you can,” I said, fully confident of her. 
 
“I will be taking the guards with me, but will ask one of the stone mercenaries from the city to come here for your safety,” I said and could feel some tension leaving her body.
 
I planned to keep one of my guards here before the other guard, take their place, but now Lancel asked me to bring my guards with me.
 
She will be fine without guards for a day. By tomorrow, someone would be here for her safety.
 
I talked to her about a few more things, before turning to the guards and asking Zela to send a message to Carla to send a guard here.
 
 
“Finished with your business?” asked Lancel as I returned to my carriage. “Yes, my lord,” I replied.
 
A few minutes later, the carriage moved through the huge gates of Mirador hold, with fifty guards surrounding the horses.
 
Ours is the only carriage; Lancel didn’t even bring his cargo carriage, which house all his clothes and other stuff. He wants to reach the baronies as soon as possible.
 
Soon, our carriages crossed the hill, and I felt the effects of many skills being placed on the carriage.
 
The carriage got faster and smoother. More than a modern automobile, I felt like I am flying. 
 
“With this speed, we should be able to reach Hennost within four to five hours,” said Baron Lockridge. Lancel nodded, while looking out of the window, but did not speak.
 
“I will be joining the hunting tomorrow. I will not let those pests escape my domain after what they did,” said Lancel. 
 
I want to stay something against that, but decided not to; Mage York had opened his mouth, closing it with a sigh.
 
“That is wonderful, my lord. With you, it won’t be much challenging to fight the find the bandits and wipe them from the face of the earth,” said Baron Lockridge. 
 
I truly want to kill this sycophant and the idiot who listening to him. 
 
To search for glory, he might end up killing himself and even take me with him. 
 
We should have stayed the night in the hold or should have brought more guards. There are only fifty-eight guards. Fifty of Lancel’s, three of mine, and five from this old bastard.
 
I had said it, but the bastard isn’t willing to listen.
 
I truly hope nothing untoward happened to Lancel because then his father will have my head. He will literally do that if something happened to his son.
 
I had already asked my guards to give the same priority to Lancel’s life as mine.
 
A few minutes passed, and I am already feeling bored. Even the conversation is feeling boring to me. 
 
So, I decided to open my mouth.
 
“Lord Baron, have you taken part in the battle against bandits?” I asked. To which he shook his head. “No, I was guarding my keep. It is my eldest who fought in it,” he replied with great pride.
 
“I heard the battle was quite bloody,” I said, and he nodded. “Yes, it was. That wretched bastard had the red skill,” he said, and I was not surprised. It was present in the information I got.
 
Still, I acted surprised.
 
“Truly?” I asked in shock. “Yes. That bastard had activated it in the battle, it filled all his men with rage and they begin to fight, without care for their life,” he said.
 
The red skills are rage skills, they are dangerous. Especially those which increase the rage of others and make them bloodthirsty.
 
“Rage skills are uncontrollable, but those who could control it. Are one of the hardest people to deal with,” said Mage York.
 
“Buvak Grukk and his mad company,” I said, and Mage York nodded, with a hint of respect appearing in his eyes for a moment. Not for me, but for the man I had just named.
 
He is a mercenary with three thousand men to whom he could spread his rage. 
 
His company is extremely powerful, defeating many undefeatable foes; many times, he and his company broke through many of Navr's hordes and killed their leader.
 
Navr had sent assassins after him and even have an active bounty, but could never kill him.
 
Rage skills are powerful, but I do not want them. They bring more danger than I like and affect one psychologically. Many of its users have activated it unconsciously and ended up harming their loved ones.
 
Soon, the sky became completely dark, but the carriage kept moving and slowing down, only went we reached the Nakar forest.
 
As the carriage entered the forest, the guards have become alert, and so am I. My hand is on my sword, ready to use at the moment's notice.
 
Two hours passed, and we reached the large clearing, and center of it was the keep; with the large flag of house Lockridge flying over it.
 
“We have reached it and that is without any incident,” said Baron Lockridge, looking at me with pointed eyes.
 
I only smiled in reply, while feeling relieved inside. I have been tensed this whole journey, expecting the bandit to attack at any moment. 
 
Thankfully, it did not happen. For once, luck with me.
 
The large gates of the keep opened, and the carriage entered inside, with the protection of the guards, before the door closed behind us.
 
“Welcome to the Barony of Lockridge, my lord,” said Baron Lockridge and bowed before opening the door and stepping out of the carriage.
 
He did not move away and instead held the door for Lancel. Though it was Mage York who got out first and then Lancel, with the last one being me.
 
“I wanted to prepare a grand welcome for you, my lord, but the short time did not give me that luxury,” he said.
 
“I do not need any grand welcome, Baron Lockridge. Your loyalty to our house is more than enough,” he said. “That you will have it, till my last breath,” he said, bowed.
 
He raised his head, and a frown appeared on his face.
 
“Where is Charles? I told him to be ready to welcome Lord Lancel?” he shouted.
 
Immediately, I noticed the strangeness. There was no family member of Baron Lockridge. They should have been present, but they were not.
 
It is not a simple faux pas, but a breaking of etiquette. A lord and his family should be out to greet their liege.
 
I became alert, and I am not the only one. Mage York also noticed it and moved closer to Lancel, while his staff glowed.
 
“Charles will not be able to Welcome Lord Wilstein. It will be only me,” said a rough booming voice, and a few seconds later, an armored orc walked out, and seeing him, my eyes widened.
 
The orc is Ulag Karguk, leader of Gorlag Bandits.

Visit Patreon for Advanced Chapters.

46