Chapter 3: And so, it begins
1.1k 7 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: And so, it begins

 

Alright, I sorta expected this. 

 

But for it to happen…. it's quite something alright. 

 

I'm sandwiched between my two maids, and worse still, they're using ME as a body pillow, I thought being a body pillow was their job. 

 

I also felt a hand brush through my hair. 

 

A hand which no doubt belongs to my Mother. 

 

"Ara, are you awake already? Eh~ wake up later, You normally refuse to let me pat your head when you're awake" 

 

Of course, I would… It's embarrassing… 

 

Well, I suppose she's just worried so… 

 

"F-fine… Just this once…" 

 

"Yay~ Love you lots Silver" 

 

Looking up and seeing her cheering like a child makes up for it, I guess… 

 

This here is how my mother acts when we're alone, and I suspect my father knows it as well. 

 

This may as well be her true persona. 

 

But alas, now was not the time to care. 

 

My mental age was around 28.

 

As such, I had an inner pervert. 

 

And said inner pervert was extremely pleased with the situation. 

 

Honestly, I think any male would be. 

 

But I had to be steadfast! 

 

I cannot let anyone know what's going through my mind right now, as such it would probably be better if I stopped thinking of it. 

 

Instead, let's think of something else. 

 

I had finally and truly understood that level difference can mean a lot in battle. 

 

I'm assuming I would be able to defeat a person at most 10 levels above me. 

 

But if said person was skilled or had blessings, I would probably get curb stomped. 

 

I really need to level up. 

 

My maids could help me power level… But, to be honest, I wanted to do so myself. 

 

Maybe it was the remnants of my manly pride speaking, but I don't want others to help me with something they've dealt with before. 

 

I'm certain, at that time they did it themselves. 

 

Alright, I've decided. 

 

I'll sneak out tonight and fight some monsters. 

 

Movement from my side caused my head to turn that way, I was greeted by red eyes which belonged to Risa, she was staring at me with her usual cold face. 

 

The slight blush on her face though, gave out what she was feeling. 

 

She was probably still sad from before. 

 

Lifting the hand that was once sealed by her, I rested it on her head and started rubbing it. 

 

Hey! head patting feels really good, no wonder mom does it. 

 

Risa probably expecting a punishment, made a surprised face. 

 

Taking this as her chance, my mom chimed. 

 

"Come on, Silver! say something… she was depressed about what happened " 

 

I wish I knew what to say, Mom

 

I'll just go with my guts, damn it. 

 

"Risa, it's fine, really I don't blame you at all, I can honestly blame myself for being so weak, but I promise you, one day I will be strong enough to give you a good fight" 

 

Risa's eyes widened for a bit, before a heavy blush came to her face, her face as always remained impassive. 

 

"I'm happy… Master, please let this unworthy maid serve you forever."

 

"umu"

 

She made a slight smile and once again started doing the reverse of her job, using me as a body pillow. 

 

But it's fine, I closed my eyes once again, the soothing head pat and her quiet humming once again lulled me to sleep. 

 

——————------———

 

It was night time now. My maids were still using me as a body pillow, but my mother was nowhere in sight. 

 

This was my chance. 

 

As quietly as possible I disentangled myself from my maids and got out of bed, I quietly opened my window, and just as I was about to jump through it, two pairs of arms held me back. 

 

Damnit. 

 

I turned around and I was greeted by two pairs of blue and red eyes. 

 

"Master~ where are you going this late at night?" 

 

Said Bel, in her sing-song voice, while Risa just looked at me. 

 

I already predicted they would wake up, higher levels were not just for show after all. 

 

But I was determined. 

 

"I'm going to get stronger."

 

That was all I needed to say. 

 

The maids looked at each other and nodded simultaneously. 

 

"In that case…Please let us accompany you, Master" 

 

All according to Keikaku

 

"Yeah, I was planning on taking you along if you woke up, let's go hunt some monsters" 

 

They once again nodded and allowed me to jump out. 

 

My room was on the top-most floor of the five-story mansion. 

 

Now, you may scream suicide. 

 

But my mana isn't just for show. 

 

As I was falling I caused a region of low-pressure gas, essentially a 'hole' devoid of wind directly where I was going to land. 

 

Just when I was about to hit the ground the 'hole' was filled up, this in turn tremendously increases my drag force which allowed me to land safely. 

 

Hurray for science. 

 

Bel simply surrounded herself with wind and jumped and landed gracefully. 

 

Risa just jumped, I was smart enough to quickly make the ground softer using magic, thereby eliminating the sound she would have no doubt created when she landed. 

 

I wiped off the cold sweat that appeared on my forehead, I almost got caught before I even did anything. 

 

Time was of the essence here, so I quickly rushed to the forest, funny thing, the forest full of monsters is right next to my house, I wonder why…?

 

It didn’t take long for me to reach the place where I was, on numerous occasions, told not to go.

 

I was expecting a swarm of monsters, and in a way, I did get one.

 

Just not...well, a swarm of living monsters.

 

The entire clearing was filled with the dead carcasses of various types of monsters.

 

And in the midst of it all, stood a man I was very familiar with, for he was my father.

 

Ornsted Grimshard.

My father cocked his head my way and said with the apathy only an end-game boss could manage. 

 

“So, it is you, my child, what brings you here at this hour”

 

I could feel the cold sweat dripping down my face, my father always had this kind of authoritative air around him that made you want to kneel right then and there.

 

For he was Ornsted, the OG Hero king ...well, at least he was.

 

“I shall be honest with you, father...I want to get stronger”

 

My father gazed at me with those piercing red eyes of his, eyes that were a mirror image of mine.

 

Pretty much all I inherited from him… Wait, my mom has red eyes too. 

 

My father just looked at me and smiled. 

 

…. Wait, what? 

 

Impossible, is what I would have said if I didn't see it with my own two eyes. 

 

My father had never smiled at me, much less come up to me and pat me on the head…

 

Wait, what?

 

No matter how I looked at it, my father was patting my head while smiling at me.

 

Either this is a dream, or my dad is a Kuudere as well.

 

If I was a normal kid, I would probably be happy, but the sad truth is...I’m 28.

 

Hell, looking back, even my maids were surprised, Bel was always varied with emotions, but even Risa looked surprised.

 

No doubt, they heard rumours of how cold and uncaring he is.

 

“Umm...Father..?”

 

“You’ve grown so much Silver...but. I suggest you stay away from the truth”

 

….What!

 

“W-what?”

 

My father took his hand away from my head and used it to cover one of his eyes.

 

“Do you think, you’re the only one?”

 

For a second...my own [Eyes of truth]  skill activated, but instead of my father...what I saw, was a giant black dragon, a dragon whose name echoes through history, the Supreme Dragon God.

 

Ba-

 

“And that’s enough”

My father's voice broke me out of my reverie, and only now do I realize just how much that took out of me, I’m on my knees, with sweat covering my entire body, Risa was holding me up, while slightly glaring at my dad.

 

My father slightly laughed and passed me a necklace.

 

“This necklace was given to me when I was your age, cherish it, you need it more than me”

 

His role done, father walked back to the mansion.

 

Does that mean I have permission…?

 

I used [Appraisal] on the necklace.

 

Dragon’s Heart.

 

Without claws, wings or fire, I still empower you with this heart

Passively increases attribute gain upon level up

 

Increases XP gain by 100%

 

Holy…

 

This is exactly what I needed.

 

My father had already left, but…

 

“Thank you...Father”

I’m sure he heard it.

 

With a renewed determination, I decided.

 

I would become stronger–no, I would become the strongest.

 

And so, I and my party(?) ventured deeper into the woods, in search of treasures and monsters.

 

The grind begins.

 

20