3. Welcoming Banquet
5.4k 7 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Unexpectedly just a few days before the welcoming banquet, the Ru general actually sent a card. Well, well, well. No sneakily kidnapping her to kill her in the dark, no sudden poison infiltrated in her meals, no nothing but directly coming here, was he planning on confronting her? Implicating her parents? She wondered a little. Her parents were puzzled but had no reason to refuse his visit, so the infamous young general was welcomed some hours later.

He had come with gifts and asked to see the prime minister. Quite surprisingly, the reason for his sudden arrival was to propose an alliance. He wanted to wed the prime minister’s legitimate daughter!

It was way too sudden! No one in the family was prepared for this! There had never been any signal or warning that he was interested in their daughter at all!

The pride of the Ru family, the descendant of a military family. He was twenty-three already but had no interest in marriage at all, no matter how much his mother and grandmother had tried to persuade. It was quite shocking to see him suddenly here, proposing out of nowhere!

In the end, he was neither refused nor given a defined answer. He was instead asked for some time and to come back another day. However, internally, the prime minister was quite elated. To make an alliance with that family wasn’t bad at all! The worried one was his wife. After all, her cousin, the empress, had said that to replace the broken engagement that her daughter was afflicted with she would personally find her a good match. Wouldn’t that be not considering her majesty to just accept without consulting her? Thus she tried to persuade her husband against this and even though it didn’t seem like she succeeded in making him change his mind, she was quite happy that he hadn’t given his immediate consent.

The prime minister’s wife wrote to the empress to report this particular event.

The one whose marriage has been discussed wasn’t told much. And truthfully, she was feeling way too weirded by this development to have a real opinion on the matter.

He actually came to ask her hand in marriage. A marriage!!! Did he actually hit his head or did the drugs gnawed at his brain?

He could have killed her with none the wiser but if she really did marry into his family, wouldn’t he be suspected if anything were to happen to her? Didn’t he care about gossips at all?

The smile that left her face returned as she wondered just what exactly he had in store for her? What kind of counterattack was he trying to pull?

If things were left as per as it was supposed to be originally, then the possibility for her to go in Fen country was still there. Violated, beaten, and broken beyond belief for other people’s amusement with no one to care, no family to run to and ultimately, dying with no one to know about it for months. And when they did, all hell broke loose, for her family tried to take revenge and it all went terribly wrong.

And long story short, the whole clan got annihilated.

That she was unwilling to see the execution of such a future was an understatement. This man too, certainly was here for a certain kind of punishment, maybe worse than what she’d done to him… but strangely enough, he was a path she had yet to know and was willing to try. The one where death wasn’t accompanied by cruelty. Maybe?!

And as such, she responded in affirmative to her father when he asked her opinion on the matter even though her mother had previously pointed at her to say other things.

Maybe he would break her too. But she doubted that his means would be as despicable as what she was supposed to suffer originally. She wondered though how he would do so. It shouldn’t be too difficult actually. She wasn’t like the brave women he fell in love with; just walking a certain distance leave her panting, where would she take the energy to run away and with what confidence? She was now merely waiting to see how he would deal with her. That she’d die, didn’t matter anymore, her family would be safe this time around anyway; this was a certitude she had.

Mu Rong An wondered though, how the protagonists would react to their friend’s sudden desire to wed and most of all, wed her, the one who had tried on many occasions to harm Li Ming Qi. Hen Ru Ying wouldn’t be happy, certainly! After all, the second prince was the one who was going to ask the empress to talk to the emperor about sending her to Fen country.

***

Indeed, neither Li Ming Qi nor Hen Ru Ying was happy with such news. Li Ming Qi worried that her good friend attracted got manipulated by the fake side of the prime minister’s daughter and while it wasn’t his style, he was a man and as such, could make mistakes. For his sake, she tried to warn him, quite bluntly actually, for their relationship was close enough to permit such. Even Hen Ru Ying who couldn’t understand too reminded his friend of the person-he-wanted's schemes.

However, Ru general was unfazed and unmoving, his decision long taken and didn't plan on being swayed. They tried asking if there was a hidden reason, was someone pressuring him? Threatening him? For certainly, even though he wished to marry there were better women out there, with less pretention and a heart way clearer and less jealous! The one he had seemingly taken fancy of was clearly not a real virtuous one. They had talked long enough and said all they could think of, yet he still stood firm in his resolution.

He had just come to let them know, he said, and wouldn’t intrude much longer in their newlywed time. He then bid them farewell.

Following that, he actually managed to get the emperor’s edict! Whether they liked it or not, the Mu family could only accept now! Well, not that the prime minister had in mind to refuse anyway.

Two days later he came again to the Mu residence to properly proposed one more time, which was now a mere formality since the emperor had already given his golden blessing. Anyway, such actions were still pleasant for the prime minister anyway. Happy as he was, he even ordered his daughter to show the guest around the exquisite garden of the Mu residence and its face mountains a bit, which was merely an excuse to let them discuss in private. Of course, servants were following them behind.

Mu Rong An’s smile was unwavering on her face as she accompanied her guest. They were at a proper distance from each other and hadn’t shared a single glance, much less talked to each other. They walked a little bit and sat near a pond. She ordered tea to be bought and personally served him herself. 

She could really sit there, not feeling uncomfortable at all, even though she knew herself what she had done. There were no awkward movements of her, no blushing and certainly no regrets either. Her conducts were prim and proper as though nothing happened at all.

The scalding hot tea slowly turned cold without him touching a sip of it at all. He actually made no motion towards it at all, as though it didn't exist in the first place. Mu Rong An's eyes curved in a smile but she didn’t talk, just sip her own tea. When he deemed that he had stayed long enough in this mansion, he got up and as he turned his back to her, she called to him, laughter in her voice.

“This humble one is really happy and eager to be married to Ru general!”

He didn’t acknowledge her nonsense with an answer. His glare, as he looked at her properly for the first time of the day was thick with anger… and was it killing intent? She watched him go, giggles shaking her shoulders.

She was quite carefree really, for she herself couldn’t say if she was scared or not. The one who were paled and frightened to death were actually her servants!

By the night, she learned that even the wedding day had been discussed! She was already eighteen, and the general seemed to want to wed quite quickly, it had thus been fixed for a couple months after the renewal banquet.

***

Said banquet came just two days after. Representants of Fen and Qin came numerous. For Fen, there were the crown prince and his advisor, plus some ministries. For Qin, it was the emperor’s cousin and the emperor’s young brother, added to ministries. The power was quite balanced for now in appearance. In truth though, Fen’s emperor was at the verge of death and their country was plagued with many internal conflicts. The crown prince had already dealt with many that wanted his life and affirm his position though.

Officials were all invited with their legitimate wife and children. The location was the imperial garden, which was quite wide and in the cover of the night it was quite cool and agreeable.

Mu Rong An didn’t really want to go, but there was no choice for her in this matter. She just sat by her family’s side and didn’t really talk, just smiled and observed it all. The emperor was high in his dragon chair, by his side, sat the empress, a little below were three concubines of first rank. Her gaze searched for Hen Ru Ying and found him not far from the emperor, leaning gently towards his new wife whispering only them knew what that was making them smile.

They were quite a beautiful sight. Two peerless beauties. Hen Ru Ying had a beautiful face, really beautiful and could easily pass for a woman. He truly let people wondered if the words like a celestial being weren’t invented for him. Li Ming Qi by his side too was remarkable. Although her beauty wasn’t a match to Mu Rong An's, she had a beauty that grows on people, or so they say anyway. The more you look, the more beautiful she appeared.

Mu Rong An was quite impressed with herself actually. If it was before, such a sight would let her boiled in anger from the inside but it seemed that her rather peculiar way of venting last time was really efficient and knowing that her original fate deviated a little, she was quite at peace, genuinely. She got clear-headed enough to analyze her feelings. Maybe she still, somewhere in her mind or heart –well, not that it was big if she was to consider what was written about her- she may still like this prince however little. But knowing that it was that person that precipitated her to her death –actually that she could forgive-, and even more the death of her family, she refused to fight for him more than what she already did.

Mu Rong An dropped her gaze to her tea that she quietly sipped. She didn’t mind anymore, recently, she was feeling more and more soothed. And the reason most certainly… she searched for his face, and sure enough, Ru general was here. He was looking towards Li Ming Qi and Hen Ru Ying. Mu Rong An’s smiled curved at this finding, wondering a little which expression he was sporting now. Certainly an expressionless one, she mused, one that concealed perfectly how he felt. Did the second prince really not know about his feeling for Li Ming Qi at all, or, was he trying to ignore it in the name of their friendship?

Realizing he was looked at certainly, he brutally shifted his line of sight. At such distance she couldn’t exactly see his face clearly, she still was certain though, that he was glaring at her. She smiled at him anyway before returning to tasting her tea, not caring about what anyone was saying. Be that the emperor or his prestigious guests.

But who knew that things would still stay the same and that eventually she would be pushed in a pit?

The crown prince of Fen had talked about beauties and music and out of nowhere, she was asked to perform since she beard the title of the most talented person of the year, and she had held such a title for five years. Not this year though, this year that title was snatched by Li Ming Qi.

If it was the original timeline, she would push the name of Li Ming Qi to dodge that which would bounce right back at her. Ultimately, her guqin’s cords would break due to anxiety, for she was scared of being selected to go form an alliance with Fen country, letting her lose face. 

Since Fen’s emperor was at the verge of death, Nan was trying to have another durable alliance by sending someone to marry over, the current Nan emperor was trying to prevent war. And she was scared to be chosen. Even though he wanted peace to be bought without blood, the emperor was quite unreconciled when he thought that one of his dear daughters must be sent away. He only had two that he loved dearly and doted upon them intensely; which was why all the legitimate daughters of his officers were invited, to replace one of the princesses in this role.

Well, it didn't concern her anymore anyway, that was something that couldn't happen anymore even if she was taken fancy off for at this very moment she was already engaged. Not that it changed anything in her not wanting to play! This time, she simply said some words about her bad health while gritting her teeth in her heart. That lusty prince, who was going to play for you?

This same crown prince was supposed to be her future husband, the one who would torture her and ultimately kill her. She had tried hard the whole night to not even glance at him but now if possible, she wouldn’t mind driving a dagger in his chest!

He was renowned for his wide number of concubines but had no wife and even though his wicked sense of pleasure wasn’t something widely known, for Mu Rong An who knew of them, he was particularly disgusting to look at! This sick person actually liked the sight of blood! That was like his aphrodisiac!

Her father joined in pleading, emphasizing her sickness too. He too felt particularly sour at the idea of her playing for these people. Since it was repeated these last day how much she was sick and her face appeared paled, the emperor didn’t insist and another person actually played.

She was sick no more actually, just dressed a little plainer than every day and put on makeup to appear more fragile!

Mu Rong An thanked her father. Originally he was supposed to try and fail but since she angered no one today, -well, not the protagonists- it actually went smoothly. She just returned to her tea, seemingly closing her ears, not wishing to listen to what was going on at all!

She faintly glanced at that crown prince again and hid her sneer behind her teacup. She really wished she could see this person's demise!

He was actually the one who had wounded Hen Ru Ying, almost making him becoming a waste. Crown prince Wu Wei wanted to push Nan country in jeopardy and had tried to do so in various ways. His goal was, before accessing the throne, to destabilize the other countries and when he would stabilize his own reign, marched towards them to conquer them.

Nan country was his first target. Nan emperor only had three sons, the first one was constantly sick and the physician had predicted his death before his thirties while the third one was too young still. Killing Hen Ru Ying would cause some chaos for even though it wasn't official, everyone considered him as the crown prince!

Mu Rong An then looked at her fiance and sight in her heart. A pity, she thought with a little bit of grievance, that she would die before Wu Wei! It was a person's whose sufferings she wouldn't mind seeing!

52