Book 2: Chapter 4 (Wherein Ms. Edwards Clubs Soren)
301 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Class 3-B was mostly empty fifteen minutes before class was set to begin. The raised levels of seating created an effect like an amphitheater, ensuring that everybody had a clear view of the enormous touchscreen that dominated the far wall. I’d have rather had a blackboard and some chalk, but I was slowly becoming comfortable with the technology before me.

I adjusted my black uniform jacket as I strode into the room. I’d been sloppy as I threw it on upstairs, but I wouldn’t want to earn any demerits from Mr. Maki.

I’d arrived alone, since I always took less time to shower than Kiyo or Rose and I liked having that little extra review time. I’m ashamed to admit I was still struggling a bit with my studies. Human runic notation was different than the Demonic, and while I’d mostly figured out how one translated to the other and even learned to modify a few spells, there’s a difference between base understanding and mastery. Magic requires close concentration and memorization, and if I accidentally slipped in a Demonic rune into my spells, I could have been exposed in an instant.

I was about to greet my homeroom teacher, Asahi Maki, when I realized he wasn’t alone. The mountain of a man positively dwarfed the younger, red headed woman he was chatting with. I bit back a curse and tried to sneak over to my desk unnoticed.

“Good morning, Mr. Marlowe,” boomed Mr. Maki. Most teachers used a microphone to be heard, but he’d never needed any help to be heard. If I hadn’t known better from the Grim Horde’s intelligence on the famous Divine Blade of the Wizard Corps, I’d have sworn he had a sound-based affinity. “Diligent as always, I see.”

“He always has been,” replied the woman cheerily. “He struggles so much, you know. He always has, even back at the Merlin Academy of Magic.” She turned to face me, beaming at me with a smile that didn’t reach her eyes. “I admire how hard you work to hone your below average magical skills.”

I muttered a thanks to the backhanded compliment I didn’t mean. I had to mind my p’s and q’s with that woman. She could destroy me in an instant if she had the fancy.

It was a shame, really. Maggie Edwards was physically beautiful. Her glasses, tightly wound red hair and slightly undersized button up blouse and pencil skirt ought to have made her class the highlight of a devil’s day. Instead, it had been low grade misery since she’d revealed that she knew I wasn’t Soren Marlowe. Oh, she had no idea who she was dealing with. I was sure of that. If she did, I’d have been long dead. I’d had the misfortune of being assigned the only teacher in the school who had known the real Soren Marlowe. It had seemed like an airtight cover, since I resembled him closely enough and I’d thought my command had killed every last survivor of the Merlin Academy in Kent.

Yes, a shame. A shame I’d missed that one helicopter with my Fireball. It was bad enough having to see her every day for her Spellcasting course. It seemed unfair that she’d intrude on my moment of quiet. I was sure it was too much to hope for that she’d leave me alone.

Like I predicted, she strode on over before I could make my way over to my desk, the tick tick tick of her heels echoing in the mostly empty room. “It’s funny how things work out. We were just talking about you.” Her blue eyes shone dangerously behind her thick rimmed glasses.

I gulped. Those are words to chill a spy’s blood. “Oh, were you?”

She nodded. “Yes, we couldn’t help but notice that Ms. Sato formally removed you from her club a few weeks back, but you haven’t found another yet.”

I raised an eyebrow. “That seems like a dull topic of conversation.”

Mr. Maki had strode on over while Ms. Edwards pinned me down. “It is when it’s a requirement that you’ve been flouting for weeks now.”

“Requirement? I’m afraid I don’t understand.” I shifted nervously as the taller man loomed over me. He’d ended many a devil who was better than I was. “I had thought the after-school clubs were just for fun.”

“Perhaps the way Takehara and his little appreciation society ran things,” said Mr. Maki with barely contained disdain. “It’s almost an elective class. Less structured, but you have to be doing something that improves your skills as a wizard or a fighter.”

I nodded. “Hence why they kept playing that War of the Arcane strategy game. I suppose that makes sense.” I groaned internally. I’d so been enjoying spending my afternoons with Kiyo doing whatever came to mind. Especially as randy as my mind can be. “I must say, I wasn’t intending to violate any rules. I was inducted into the Tactical Innovations Club my first day.”

Maggie reached up and grabbed my cheek in the most demeaning way possible. “Oh, we know you didn’t, little Magpie. You’ve always been so absentminded. It’s odd that Kiyo didn’t mention it to you. I know you two have become rather attached.”

I did wonder about that myself. “Well, I’ll pass the message along to her as well.”

Maggie nodded. “Do try to find someone who’ll take you in by the end of the day, and we’ll overlook the whole thing.”

I had to struggle not to remove her hand. I knew some spells that would have done so literally. “Of course, Ms. Edwards. Any club will suffice, yes?”

She nodded. Mr. Maki added, “I think you’d be a good fit for my kendo club, but Ms. Edwards convinced me that you really need something that will help you with your magic casting. You’re doing better in my class, but it sounds like you’re behind in hers.”

I grit my teeth. “Oh, she did? Well, I suppose she’d know best, since she’s known me for the longest time.” Another shame. I’d have enjoyed showing these whelps what true swordsmanship looked like. “I’ll choose something suitable.”

“Splendid!” Maggie’s voice was full of cheer that I knew damn well to be false. “Well, Asahi, I need to get along to my own homeroom. I’ll see you both later.” I let out a cry of pain as her high heel dug into the bridge of my foot. “Oh dear, I’m so sorry, Mr. Marlowe. Are you alright?” She reached over and took me by the shoulders as I reflexively bent over.

I ground my teeth and very nearly said what I really meant. I’d have thought I’d be used to her torment by then, but apparently not. Instead, I chuckled without real mirth. “Of course, my dear. It’ll take more than that to break me.”

Maggie Edwards leaned in to whisper into my year. “I look forward to trying, faker.”

“I’ll make you regret this,” I whispered back, lower than she had in case Mr. Maki overhead.

“No, you won’t. But, keep on fantasizing. I wouldn’t want to whip you too quickly. Though, I think we’re ready for stronger medicine.” She helped me up roughly, brushed off my shoulders and left the room. I did always enjoy watching Maggie Edwards leave, for multiple reasons.

I didn’t end up having any time for study at all before the other students came in and their chatter ruined my focus. It was yet another indignity to add to the tally and by Our Father Below, she’d pay. I meant what I said. When it comes to revenge, a devil always keeps his word, no matter the cost.


If you would like to get early updates, please consider checking out my Patreon at https://www.patreon.com/dbfassbinder?fan_landing=true

7