Chapter 2 – Tempting Fate
428 3 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Real Life Hackwrench @mtcmouse - 10 minutes ago

Can y’all fucking believe I had five MIB looking types at my front door? Anyway if this is my last tweet y’all fucking know what happened.

 

Post-Thanksgiving Self Care @techieobjecthead - 8 minutes ago

@mtcmouse Was it because of the arm or something? Do they want you for superweapons?

 

Real Life Hackwrench @mtcmouse - 7 minutes ago

@techieobjecthead Maybe? But like fuck off I’m busy making a damn robotic pet based on a fox dragon. Oh whoops, project spoilers~

 

Now with that covered and extra posts up of similar nature on all my mastodons just to be extra careful it would be significantly harder to disappear me. I hoped. Still, I checked outside from the second floor window, to see if the guys were still loitering. They were still loitering. “Oh god fucking dammit, I hope he’s not at the pub.” I grabbed a phone to dial someone who owed me, big time. Fixing up all the farming equipment at the co-op for god damn near free so John Deere wouldn’t get pissy about repairs.

“Yeah what is it...Briegit. Why couldn’t you have picked a fucking czech name.”

“Internet reasons. Hey so I don’t know if anyone noticed but I got like five dudes loitering outside my house from different companies because I’m some sorta supergenius or something, could you like get the snow plows out to scare them off?”

“Why don’t you call the cops?”

“You really think they’d do something?”

 

“Fair ‘nuff. Hey, Vlad, go snow plow near our mechanic’s house would ya?”

 

“Appreciate it, Petr.” Right as I hung up the call, I checked outside again. Four guys visible near their cars, or going in there, probably for warmth and instructions, and one of them near my door. Really you’re gonna try to lockpick my door to force your way in? I walked over to the wall and pushed a button, hearing the lovely whirr of gears and shunk shunk shunk of a paintball turret going off, before I pressed the button again as the door closed. I opened my window to shout at him “If you guys don’t fuck off in the next five minutes you’re gonna get snowplowed. Do not fucking dare come back without an invitation you hear!” I shouted at them as a paint covered suited fella lay in the grass. The display seemed to have scared some of them off, at least. I quickly shot Pete a text to cancel the plow.

 

Based on more updates I was doing seriously well as an emerged. I mean really, some folks ending up in shitty prisons based on rumors, others dying in hero battles. Of fucking course.

 

Real Life Hackwrench @mtcmouse - just now

So I guess we will get an answer to “Who pays for all the buildings destroyed in hero movies” now. Anyone counting the deaths?

I

Real Life Hackwrench @mtcmouse - just now

You god damn know people are dying in the collateral damage. We can’t even get a proper death count from monday because we don’t know who changed form.

I

Real Life Hackwrench @mtcmouse - just now

And more folk are dying due to villains and vigilantes? Couldn’t y’all have like gone after the rich folk at least? Why rob the pizza place next to you?

I

Real Life Hackwrench @mtcmouse - just now

Uuuuh why does getting custom parts from places always take so long! I want to distract myself!

I

Real Life Hackwrench @mtcmouse - just now

With a cute feathered fox dragon creature with opposable thumbs on the front paws! Seriously why hasn’t anyone drawn her yet.

 

My twitter rambling was cut short with the doorbell ringing. “Oh shit.” I made my way down to the door as fast as possible, quickly opening it.

“Got a couple packages here for you…” He stared at my ears. Of course he stared at my ears, as my tail swished behind me.

 

“Yeah yeah I turned mouse when it hit where do I sign?”

 

“Uhm, r-right here.” I quickly scribbled down my name and grabbed the boxes on the ground.

 

“Thank you kindly.” I closed the door and made my way to my workshop as quickly as I could. I admit I let out several giggles of varying intensity. Not volume wise, but feelings wise. There was the excited giggles, the “oh gosh this will be cute” giggles and the all time favorite “I just set your house on fire” giggles. No houses were set on fire in the production of any of my videos. Just felt like I needed to confirm that. My mad cackles were for fun and not based on any sinister plans. Honest.

Either way I got to working on Dare the SECOND I was in my workshop. Turns out having a tail is good for grabbing tools off the shelf. Who would have thought. Okay everyone with some semblance of brain cells would have figured an extra limb is good for grabbing stuff. And I used mine to swiftly yank the box cutter off the desk to get the bits out. And then to grab my phone for a quick selfie with the contents of the box.

 

Real Life Hackwrench @mtcmouse - 5 minutes ago

I figured my superpower was just inventing shit, not summoning stuff through twitter Tongue

Might as well do a stream.

 

Real Life Hackwrench @mtcmouse - just now

twitch.tv/mtcmouse come watch me start working on Dare!

 

Oh right it was like 6 in the mornings in the states on a tuesday, who the hell is even up that early and available to watch streams? Ah well, I was mostly doing this for myself. Talking to myself while working helped me figure stuff out, and having people to shoot off of instead of doing it alone was fun.

 

“You know folks, the most annoying thing about the whole emergence situation, personally, is headphones. I cannot stand earbuds but nobody makes mouse appropriate headphones! I guess project for sometime later, animal folks headphones. It’s mostly soldering work and making custom headbands for it. A difficulty 2 out of 5. Okay wait no scratch that, 2.5 out of five. You need sewing skills if you want to add comfortable padding, cause hot glue guns aren’t the best options at times. Right, so, my problem previously was working on Dare like on one of the boston dynamics bots. Big, bulky, cool to look at but not very nimble. So what I’ve got here is something I custom ordered from a manufacturer based on some specifics I sent in. Anyone here heard of R.U.R.? Classic Czech play by Čapek, origin of the word robot in fact. The robots there are closer to something like Frankenstein’s monster, but the stuff is home grown out of goop, organs and muscles and nerves and such. And then put together on a factory line. So what I have here are the muscle fibers I’ll have to connect up so as to make the muscle structure for the bot, plus the internal quote unquote organs. Meaning this will be a long stream of me working on bits. So how was your weekend?”

 

Truly, it was too early for proper fun banter. Even when on my patreon discord’s voice chat. 6 am EST on Tuesday December 4th was truly not the best time to start. Still, I continued. Fiber connected to fiber until I had a full muscle made. The core of organs consisting of a battery and a hard drive and other such things. The weirdest part was definitely putting on the skin with feathers, so to speak. But after 14 hours of hard work, all of it streamed, there on the desk, curled up and ready to be activated sat an adorable, huggable robotic friend.

 

“Oh my gosh look at her I can’t believe I actually did that and she looks so cute!!!! There’s still one thing missing but I want her to choose that since… I managed to develop an AI of all things? Like, better than just simple machine learning, this thing has EMPATHY and other emotions and yeah okay time to launch, the battery SHOULD last until the charging station is done.” I pressed four different points on her in succession, turning the camera away. “I don’t want anyone shutting her down so I’m keeping the launch sequence a secret, sorry~” There was a shudder that went through Dare, before she began blinking and then yawned. I clutched my heart and she immediately shot up at full attention, her face full of concern.

 

“It’s okay Dare, you’re just acting Way. Too. Cute!!!” She covered up her little fox face at my comment and I giggled, petting her head. “The world is getting filled with people fulfilling their power fantasy, and here I am creating mechanical life for cuddling. Fuck you, Bill and Steve! Fuck you Jeff! I’m the queen of tech now! Muhahahahaha!!!!!” Dare tried to imitate my laugh, but no sound came out of her throat. “Oh, right, sorry Dare, the last thing. Here’s some pictures plus voice samples, pick which one you like and I’ll install it.” She immediately tapped on Kagamine Rin, and I quickly sent her the voice bank and software through bluetooth. What followed was Dare making happy noises and clapping her front paws. I was grinning ear to ear at her antics. “Okay everyone, I think that’s enough streaming for today. I mean shit, it’s 2 am over here, and even though mice are usually nocturnal, I’m not quite there. So good night, hope you enjoyed the build, and hey.” I picked up Dare in both my arms, giving her a snug hug “The channel has a new mascot now, so I’m gonna have to commission someone for new banner art.” I winked at the camera and shut it down, turning off the stream, as I finished my night routine before hopping into bed, Dare curling up next to me. “Furby’s creator can eat my ass.”

The doorbell ringing was not expected. I nearly knocked Dare off the bed as I got up, but she jumped on my shoulders and rode me down to the door. Opening it, I absolutely lost it laughing. Standing there was someone best described as a were-lion. Now, that wouldn’t have gotten such a strong laugh out of me. What did was what KIND of lion the individual looked like. Completely white fur, a tail that split into two about a third of a way in, a crown atop their head. “I thought Saint Wenceslaw was someone taking a piss but holy shit you take the cake on irony. How can I help?”

 

“I, uhm, saw your stream yesterday.” Holy shit that voice was regal. Did Andrew Rea get Emerged or something? “And I managed to find where you live because… I’d like to have a gadget made for superheroing.” Were they for real?

 

“Are you for real? You track down a relatively famous youtuber to ask her to make you a gadget for superhero work? Come on, vigilantism is illegal, and it’s not like you got a way to protect your identity.” I began closing the doors, as I heard the magic words.

 

“I’ll pay you for it! I just want some stun gloves for non-lethal takedowns. Claws aren’t the best for subduing people.” I sighed at their reply, as Dare looked me in the eyes and held my face. A smile crept upon my face.

 

“Alright, come inside tough guy. My name’s Bridget, you?”

 

“Karel, but hero name is Wrecking Lion.”

 

“...Czech Yourself before you Wreck Yourself, Really? And here I thought I was the dweeb.” I closed the door behind him and took him to the living room. “I’ll go grab some measuring tape. Dare can keep you company if she so desires.” Dare hopped on the table and made a confirmatory noise at me, raising her thumb to confirm. Measuring tape was on my desk, luckily, so it didn’t take me long to return and witness Dare fluffing up Karel’s mane.

 

“Fluffy! Soft! Huggable! Easy to get lost in!” Her synthesised voice sounded absolutely adorable, but Karel was looking at her awkwardly.

 

“Uhm…”

 

“Oh don’t worry she’s a harmless dorky girl, but alright time to work. My Grandpa what big hands you have~” The tape went around as I giggled. Hey, maybe this could turn out to be a lucrative business.

Thanks for reading! If you'd like to support the author, my Patreon is https://www.patreon.com/SynTheGuardian

There's also a server for you to talk with me! https://discord.gg/VDVMVrc

28