Chapter 58: Napoleon, the Lion of Naples
2.1k 5 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Paris, France
January 7th, 1777

"Marvelous," Franklin muttered as he read the document in front of him, "Simply marvelous."

After nearly a month, Franklin finally managed to get hold of a copy of the Constitution. He had heard from his aides that copies of the Constitution were already being made available to the British and French governments and wondered what their reactions to the radical document were like. His reaction was of joyous acceptance, as he saw the document as one of the final steps to the establishment of a legitimate republic. There were parts of the documents that he disagreed with, such as the idea of universal suffrage and the "rigid" division between the church and state. However, in his eyes, the pros outweighed the cons and the document was certainly crafted in an elegant manner to protect the people and ensure the future republic's stability.

"Grandfather, I have prepared you some food," William Temple Franklin, Benjamin Franklin's grandson, stated as he placed a tray of food in front of the senior ambassador, "You're still reading the Constitution?"

The older Franklin smiled, "Why, of course! I may not have been in Philadelphia when this document was written, but I gave the writers my input through my letters.”

“What are your thoughts on it?”

“Why, I think it’s a wonderful document! A truly inspiring, revolutionary piece of work that will change the world as we know it.” Of course, Franklin was aware of the influence the document would have in the future. But his grandson didn’t need to know, “What are your thoughts on it, William?”

William was still young, just barely 16 years old, yet he was sharp and intelligent despite his questionable ethics around women. Franklin knew of his grandson’s future demise and fall from grace, thanks to some information supplied by General Kim. As a result, the elderly statesman was more active in raising the boy and instilling the ideas of republicanism and temperance into his grandson.

“Well, it’s... different for sure. But aren’t you worried that allowing this much liberties and freedom to the people might cause unrest and factionalism? I mean, if everyone had a say in what the government should do, I think it would weaken the nation.”

Franklin was surprised at his grandson’s insightful reply. He had certainly made a number of good points, and in another world, Franklin might have agreed with him. However, he believed it was the best way forward and allow the United States to become a true “model republic.” “Excellent points, William. I see that your tutors have been helping you with your studies in philosophy and government?”

William’s face turned red from the man’s compliment as he rubbed his neck. Franklin chuckled at his grandson’s antics and answered, “To answer your question, I believe there is a difference between allowing everyone to have a voice, which is a democracy and allowing everyone to have a voice in electing their representatives, which is the republic our nation is trying to build. There may be factions and divisions. However, I believe allowing opposing opinions to be heard and debated will help the people decide what the best course of action for the nation’s future is. There are divisions everywhere, William. You just don’t hear them because those divisions are not prominent or public. As for unrest, the people will have the right to peacefully protest and elect new officials if they deem something is against their interests. So I believe there will be more peace than violence through this Constitution.”

“I’ll read the Constitution again when I return from my tutor’s home later this evening. Maybe I overlooked a few things.”

“That’s my grandson,” Franklin let out a hearty laugh.

The two discussed diplomatic matters while Franklin ate. Their conversation came to an abrupt halt when one of Franklin’s aides knocked on his door, “Mr. Ambassador, a gentleman by the name of Buonaparte is here to see you.”

“Ah, yes. Please escort him in.” Franklin replied, “William, I’m afraid this meeting is a private matter. We can discuss more afterward.”

After William left, a tall man in elegant clothing entered the room. Carlos Buonaparte was a Corsican noble, a very distinguished one at that. It was odd that a man from Corsica who had no dealings with the current French government would meet with the ambassador from the newly established United States. Yet, the two of them were here to discuss an important matter that Franklin had been tasked with.

Bringing Napoléon to the states.

“Mr. Franklin,” Buonaparte greeted the man warmly with a smile and a handshake, “I hope you are in good health.”

“I am, and I hope you are as well,” Franklin replied. In his mind, his thoughts recalled the fact that Buonaparte would die of stomach cancer within a few years.

“Now, let us talk about business. As I said through my letters, I am more than happy to move to the United States provided that you agree to your terms.”

“50,000 Francs, and 1,000 acres of land in any place you desire. Additionally, all the schooling for your children will be funded and provided for by the government.”

Buonaparte smiled, “Your nation is far too generous for a man like myself. I have asked in my letters before, but why have you sought me out personally?”

“We believe that you will make a fine administrator and we are in need of men of your caliber to help establish a proper government.” And your son.

The Corsican rubbed his chin, “Indeed... I had heard rumors about your nation being a republic. I have some concerns about my title once I move...”

“You will be provided for by the government and a man like yourself will have no troubles being elected into a public office,” Franklin answered, “Besides, your background will most definitely help you rise to prominence in America. Also, is your son with you today, Mr. Buonaparte?”

“Indeed he is. I heard that you have great expectations for him! He is talented and intelligent, just like his father,” Buonaparte boasted.

“May I see him?”

“Of course.” The man left for a few moments and returned with his young son in tow, “His name is Napoléon. In Italian, it means “Lion of Naples.”

Franklin peered down at the small boy and shook his hand, “I have no doubts that one day, he will change the world.”

31