Chapter 97: Slave Revolt
1.7k 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hillsborough, North Carolina, the United States of America
April 10th, 1790

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness," Charles recited the words of the Founders by reading from a copy of the Declaration of Independence, "That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form."

"What does that mean, Charles?" James, one of the dozens of slaves that were gathered around the literate slave, asked.

"It means we're equals! You've seen those other Negros walking around like the white man, haven't you?" Charles looked around and raised his fist, "Haven't you all? Those Negros strut around as freedmen while we sit here and toil away on the fields!"

Murmurs of agreement echoed throughout the crowd and those murmurs only emboldened Charles, "So why are we slaves? These men, great men said that all men are equal. They built this nation, so we should be equals too! There are already free Negros, why can't all of us be free?"

The agreement from the crowd became louder and clearer. "Some of our masters are good men, men that take care of us and promise us freedom soon. But what about the others? I know some of you have mean masters, cruel ones even. What if they don't want to free us and keep us down forever? Do you want to live as slaves instead of those free Negros forever? Do you want your children to live the same?"

"No!"

"Then we fight for freedom. For equality! If they won't give it to us now, then we will take it ourselves!" Charles looked around the crowd dangerously and smiled, "Gather our brothers and sisters. Take up your farm tools and march with me! Together, we will all become freedmen!"

"Freedmen!"

Within a few days, the word about rebellion spread throughout the slaves and by the end of the month, the Hills Slave Rebellion broke out across North Carolina. More than five thousand slaves would raid a militia armory located some distance away from New Bern and marched on a crusade to earn their freedom... themselves.

24