Chapter 112 (1795-1796)
1.8k 3 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1795:

January: Britain records its coldest month in recent history, which cites some concern about the food production and stability of the region.

January 11th: The first American military advisors arrive in the French Republic, officially sanctioned by both the French Republican government and the American government. The United States makes it explicitly clear that they will not participate in any battles directly and will act as mere observers. Among them is Captain Andrew Jackson and Colonel Nathaniel Bonapart, who will both take inspirations and ideas from the war to craft new tactics. The move is not publicly announced, but several European nations are aware of their presence, to their suppressed anger.

January 27th: The Battle of Liege ends in a stunning French defeat, which will signal the beginning of the stalemate between the two sides. The French Republic will make steady gains, but will be unable to decisively defeat and turn the tide of war against the First Coalition. However, the French Republic will still occupy a large swathe of Coalition territory in the coming years.

January 30th: Benjamin Franklin dies, at the old age of ninety. He is mourned by the American public and especially by the members of the Watchmen Society. During his life, he witnessed the development of the American colonies, the Revolutionary War, and the formation of the American republic. In the future, he will be memorialized by many and his face will adorn the one hundred dollar bill. A statute of him will be erected in front of the American National Museums of History and Culture.

February 3rd: The Eight United States Congress is sworn in as per usual. The composition of the newly elected American legislature is similar to before, but with some differences.

The United States Senate is the same as before (as the empty Senate seat in Maine is filled by a Unionist). The Republican-Democrat Alliance still holds a 23-19 majority over the Unionist-Front Alliance.

https://imgur.com/a/t6E97Bi#okctNVc

United States Senate:
Yellow: 
Republican Party (14)
Red: Democratic Party (9)
Green: The Frontier Party (5)
Blue: Unionist Party (14)

Meanwhile, in the House, two new seats were added due to the recognition of Ohio's and Alabama's organized territory status. Both of the new seats went to the Frontier Party, who also swipes a seat from the Democrats. In return, the Democratic Party manages to seize some seats from the more unpopular incumbents of the Whig Party. With the Republicans making gains due to the popularity of President Jefferson and faster economic growth, the Republican-Democrat Alliance is now able to challenge the Unionist-Front-Whigs Alliance in House bills, provided that they are able to sway the Independents. However, the Unionist-Front-Whigs Coalition still holds a (now more narrow) majority (82-77).

https://imgur.com/a/9LeGOTj#Wdv34dW

United States House of Representatives:
Yellow: 
Republican Party (45)
Red: Democratic Party (32)
Green: Frontier Party (30)
Blue: Union Party (46)
Brown: Whig Party (6)
Grey: Independents (6)

February 4th: The United States celebrates its 20th year of existence, with fireworks, feasts, and alcohol flying freely across the nation. President Jefferson gives a stirring speech that calls for a continued time of "unity, prosperity, and freedom for all Americans." The newly built USS Constitution fires cannon shots off the coast of Boston, beginning a yearly tradition of the ship firing its broadside that will last up until modern day.

February 15th: Congress passes the Fortifications Expansion Act of 1795, expanding the line of fortifications on the American-Spanish border in the west and heighten the alert status of the military in the area. With the Akansa Crisis coming to blows between the Spanish and the "Akansa" people, the United States government is committed to prevent the war from spilling over to American territory. Additionally, Congress authorizes more funding to ensure that more units are equipped with the M1790 Lee Rifle. By the end of 1795, approximately 2,000 American Marines and Army soldiers would be armed with the rifle.

February 16th: The French city of Biarritz is seized by Republican forces, which leads the Spanish to withdraw troops from its American theater to support the defenses back at home. As the French Republican Army moves closer towards the Spanish border, it becomes evidently clear that they will attempt an invasion through the Pyrenees Mountains.

March 2nd: Marie-Louise Lachapelle, a woman of French birth, manages to earn a doctor's license after completing her studies in the University of Quebec. She becomes the first licensed female doctor in the United States.

March 19th: Thousands of Dutch protesters take to the streets, demanding for government reforms and democratic elections. Influenced by the American and French Revolutions, the protesters, calling themselves "Patriots," call for liberalization of the country (which is ruled by William V's iron fist). The protesters are met with stiff resistance by the military and many are jailed or killed. This will lead to lingering discontent and destabilization of the country, marking the end of the Dutch Empire. It should be noted that French influence in the area is especially heavy, and it remains entirely possible that the Patriots are backed by the French Republic.

April 11th: French Republicans capture the city of Nice, threatening the Italian Peninsula. The cost of the war with the Ottomans and the French is severely straining Austria's finances, but Austria refuses to back out of the war and continues its commitment. By this time, substantial Russian troops are moving into the eastern front as well, blunting the French advances and slowly turning the war into an endless slog between the two factions.

April 21st: Sweden becomes the first European nation to recognize the French Republic. In the near future, the two nations will become cordial economic partners. However, with the war in Europe coming to harsh blows, the monarchy wisely opts to sit out of the conflict and proclaim neutrality.

May 1st: King Kamehameha I unifies the Hawaiian Islands, creating the Hawaiian Kingdom. The Hawaiian Kingdom will draw attention from Britain, as it needs a major supply base between its colonies in Australia and its remaining North American holdings. Unfortunately, that will result in the British annexation of the Hawaiian Kingdom in 1819.

May 4th: John Hopkins, who will become one of the greatest businessmen in America and help set up social programs to eradicate poverty, is born in Maryland.

May 5th: The first commercial steamboat company, Erie Enterprise (funded by Samuel Kim) opens up for service. It will have nine steam paddle boats in its service by the time the Erie Canal opens up in 1798.

May 11th: Congress passes the Erie Canal Funding Act of 1795, supported broadly by all major political parties. It will expand the Erie Canal project to encompass the Hudson River, the Mohawk River, Oneida Lake, the Osewgo River, and Lake Ontario. This will connect the states of New York, Iroquois, and Quebec into a giant, continuous water network. With the federal government now having a share in the project, the Erie Canal project will see additional manpower and funds to its disposal. It will be completed in 1798, officially opening up the flood gates to the west and beginning America's western expansion.

June 1st: C.E. Executive Order #20 is passed by Congress, which creates the National Guard. All states in the Union are required to have at least 1,000 National Guardsmen in active service or in the reserves in case of disasters, invasions, or riots. The National Guards will be primarily funded by each state (approximately 55% of the budget), with the rest of the costs being taken care of by the federal government. The National Guards will vary in size by each state, but they will play a significant role in the Anglo-American War.

June 19th: The Hawkesbury and Nepean War begins in full swing, marking the beginning of the end of the natives in Australia. Settlers in Shelburne (OTL Sydney) will brutally suppress and murder thousands of natives. The atrocities committed during this war will be a major red mark against Australia in the future. At the same time, thousands of settlers arrive in Australia, which results in the rapid growth of the colony.

June 28th: The French Republican Navy is defeated off the coast of Bordeaux by a joint Spanish and French Monarchist fleet. This will result in the French Republic seeing a drop in import and destroy any chances of a French naval invasion of Spain. While the French Republic never seriously considered a naval invasion, the presence of significant defensive buildup on the French-Spanish soldier led the Republican government to believe that a direct attack would be disastrous.

July 15th: Spain pulls out of the Coalition, as they have gained much from their participation during the war and seeks to keep its gains. The Treaty of Andorra is signed between the French Republic and the Kingdom of Spain, officially ceasing hostilities between the two. The treaty specifies that Spain will keep all of France's colonial holdings in the Caribbean (excluding the Monarchist aligned Saint Domingue). In exchange, Spanish forces will withdraw from the small slices of French European territory they occupy. This will lead to the complete collapse of the Monarchists on the mainland and King Louis (who is currently exiled in Corsica) will condemn the "cowardly Spanish" for "aiding the Republicans." This will free up many French soldiers for the Paris government to utilize against the remaining Coalition forces in the eastern front. However, Lafayette is well aware that France needs peace, and soon. While France is experiencing great success, the devastation caused by the French Civil War, along with the expenses of the war, is pushing France's finances (even with all the aid from the United States and the Watchmen Society). In secret, he and his government begin negotiations with the Coalition to bring an end to the war.

July 30th: Samuel Kim embarks on a diplomatic journey to Europe with President Jefferson's full support. During what is called the "Second Kim Embassy," Kim will meet with representatives and rulers of Sweden, Denmark-Norway, Portugal, the Ottoman Empire, and Russia. He will achieve varying degrees of success. Due to his efforts, Portugal will reopen diplomatic relations with the United States and strengthen American ties to the Ottoman Empire (military and economic support for domestic reforms under Sultan Selim III. He will also help improve relations between the United States and Denmark/Sweden. However, his reception in Russia will be met with hostility due to America's interest in the Ottoman Empire and over time, the two nations will develop friction that would last until the mid 20th century.

August 14th: While there is a general stalemate between the Coalition and the French Republic (as costs of the war escalate), the city of Turin falls to the French Republic. This will mark the beginning of the end of the First Coalition War and the escalation of peace talks between the two warring factions. The Kingdom of Savoy will survive the war, but it will be greatly influenced by France (which will lead to the Italian Revolution and the formation of the Italian Republic in 1867).

August 22nd: Anti-war demonstrations begin in the French capital, as some believe that the war should come to an end. The protests will be a vocal minority, but a minority with a very large presence. While many accuse the anti-war demonstrators of committing treason and acting against France's best interests, there are many that echo the sentiments of the demonstrators. The war devastated swathes of southern France and has led to the death of thousands of Frenchmen. And with the war becoming more and more costly with every advance, the demonstrators demand that the war ends on France's terms, but come to an official end.

President Lafayette continues his peace talks with the Coalition. However, the Coalition is clear: they want King Louis back on the throne. Lafayette skillfully demands to establishment of buffer states between France and the Coalition to prevent another invasion of French territory and is unwilling to cede that term. As a result, negotiations will continue to go back and forth. Privately, the government of the French Republic discusses potential ways to "accept" the Coalition demands while at the same time preventing King Louis from gaining any power.

September 11th: Baba Hassan, the ruler of Dey of Algiers, will pledge not to harass American shipping after some consultation with the Ottoman Sultan and some "tribute."

October 3rd: Corsica officially "secedes" from the French Republic, called itself the Kingdom of Corsica. King Louis will become the official head of state (though he does not give up his French monarchy title). The King declares that Corsica will be allowed to govern itself fairly autonomously if they pledge to help the rightful king of France retake the mainland. This is met with amusement from many Frenchmen in the mainland.

October 22nd: Toussaint L'Ouverture manages to liberate Les Ceyes and the surrounding areas from Spanish authorities, prompting an even more aggressive Spanish response. Slave rebellions occur throughout Port-au Prince as well, making life extremely difficult and dangerous for the Spanish soldiers stationed in the area. The atrocities committed by the Spanish forces in Spanish Saint Domingue will only stir more rebellion sentiment in the region.

November 1st: A group of Native American fighters in Akansa leads a series of raids on Spanish forts and settlements near the Akansa Confederacy. With the Spanish going around in circles, the Spanish government deploys more troops to combat the Natives in the area (as Spain is now out of the Coalition War).

November 19th: The Polish military manages to beat back an attempted Russian incursion into its territory, using American supplied weapon. Russia and Prussia will hold back on dividing up the territory for the time being (with both being occupied by the Coalition War). This will give the four million inhabitants of the PLC plenty of time to prepare and defend their country from the expansionist powers.

December 1st: The NHA begins its season, drawing great interest from Americans that want to watch a more "contact" sport.

December 19th: President Lafayette visits the United States as a formal visit of its republican counterpart. The visit is brief, but he will stay in Columbia for a week to discuss matters with the Watchmen Society and the American federal government.

1796:

January 14th: Antwerp is captured by French forces, which results in the capitulation of Austrian Netherlands to the republicans. By this time, Austria is on the verge of bankruptcy due to its previous commitments and the Emperor is becoming increasingly unpopular. Riots break out in major cities, as many within the Austria clamor for peace.

January 21st: A hundred Spanish soldiers chase down a group of Akansa fighters into American territory. The Akansa fighters cross the border and flee towards Fort Greene for sanctuary. Things turn confrontational when several Spanish soldiers fire towards the fort, which provokes an American response. There are no American casualties, but several Spanish and Akansa fighters are wounded in the escalation.

This event is met with uproar from the American public, as news of the Akansa "Freedom Fighters" being brutalized by the Spanish and the border intrusion filter through newspapers. Combined with the brutality of the Spanish authorities in Spanish occupied Saint Domingue and the (romanticized) Haitian Revolution, the American public is clamoring for a response against Spain. Even the more passive Congressmen are now making aggressive retorts to "make Spain pay."

President Jefferson asks for the Watchmen Society to gather and meet for an emergency meeting. By the end of it, the general consensus is clear: the United States can not stand by and only provide indirect aid to the Akansa Confederacy. The nation had built up its finances and military for this very moment, and Jefferson will respond to the Spanish intrusion.

At the same time, James Madison announces he will run for the presidency in the upcoming elections. He is wished the best of luck from all members, even John Jay.

January 30th: The French Republican Army is repulsed at the Battle of Stuttgart, which will mark the furthest advance the French Republican Army will make into the German states.

February 9th: The Qianlong Emperor, who was promised to not as rule as long as his grandfather, abdicates in favor of his son (the Jiaqing Emperor). While he will rule from the shadows until his death, the Qianlong Emperor will ensure that the new emperor is receptive to the United States.

February 20th: President Jefferson issues Explicit Executive Order #9, a mobilization of the United States Army, the Hisigi National Guard, and the Kentucky National Guard towards the Spanish-American border. No outright war will be declared, but the United States Military is now on heightened alert as Congress debates on whether to go to war with Spain over the matter.

Privately, Congressional leaders and the President meet and agree to avoid a full out war against Spain (which may lead America into a bigger quagmire). However, the United States will now intervene in the Akansa Crisis on side of the Native American people in the area.

February 25th: Spain, contacted through proper diplomatic channels in Portugal), is given an ultimatum by the United States: pull out of the Akansa Confederacy within one month or face immediate American hostilities. While Spain has achieved success in the Coalition Wars and gained colonies in the Americas, they are completely unwilling to engage in another war, a war across the Atlantic nonetheless. With resources being tied down to suppress the rebellion in Spanish Saint Domingue and to prevent revolutionary tendencies from spreading to other parts of the Spanish Empire, Spain gives careful consideration to the offer.

March 15th: C.E. Executive Order #22 is issued, authorizing an American task force (led by General Nathaniel Greene) to intervene and put an end to the Spanish threat in the area. Spain is informed that they now have exactly one month to withdraw all its forces from the borders of the Akansa Confederacy for its incursion and "invasion" of American territory or face a war with the United States. Five thousand American troops, supported by the National Guard and local militias, move into clear out the area as peacefully as possible. All Spanish authorities and officers in the area are given the same ultimatum that was given to the Spanish government. Most of them accept and return to New Orleans, though a few refuse and are met with hostilities. By the end of the one month operation, Spanish troops have been completely cleared out by the United States with only a few dozen casualties. This will be called the "Akansa Intervention" in the future.

At the same time, the Spanish government is given a generous offer by the United States government: shift the borders from the Mississippi River to the Missouri River (though Spain will hold New Orleans and the remainders of the Louisiana Territory) for a sum of four million dollars. Additionally, the United States pledges not to encourage any secessionist movements within the remainders of the Spanish territories in North America, along with normalization of relations. The Spanish government is hard pressed to accept the offer, as they are unable to afford another war (this time, with a regional power that is an ocean away). Additionally, while many conservative elements of the Spanish government desire to contain the United States, even they are unwilling to potentially antagonize a country that borders (directly or indirectly) most of their New World holdings.

March 24th: The Battle of White River occurs. Two hundred American soldiers of the United States Army First Division get into a firefight with five hundred Spanish troops. Armed with the new M1790 Lee Rifle, the American soldiers devastate the Spanish forces, inflicting disproportionate casualties. By the end of the battle, one hundred and forty Spanish soldiers lay dead, with even more wounded. The Americans only suffer seventy casualties, with only two dozen deaths.

April 23rd: All Spanish troops are evicted from the Akansa Confederacy (either by force or by diplomacy). The United States makes moves to integrate the Akansa Confederacy into the nation (as a territory first, since Akansa does not meet the population requirements needed for statehood, due to the increase in population of all eligible states). A proper state government is established in Greensville (named after the American general that led the expedition to liberate Akansa) (AN: OTL's Little Rock) and the United States provides relief to the territory (as it was under siege from the Spanish for two years).

May 1st: The Spanish government accepts the offer made by the United States and sign the Treaty of Lisbon, which will mark a de-escalation of hostilities between the United States and Spain (until the Mexican Independence War and the Anglo-American War). The Treaty states that the United States will now have its border at the Missouri River, though the remainders of the Louisiana Territory (along with New Orleans) will remain under Spanish control. In exchange, the United States will not construct any forts within fifty kilometers from the new border until 1806. It will also give four million dollars in payment for the new territories. This news is met with celebration across the United States, as Jefferson showed extreme restraint to the situation, but at the same time showed Spain the potential of America's power and expanded America's frontier (fairly) bloodlessly. His popularity, and legacy, is significantly boosted by this event.

May 14th: Spanish authorities lose control over the southwestern parts of Spanish Saint Domingue, as Toussaint (who is still being given non-military US aid) manages to liberate that part of the island from the Spanish. The Spanish sends over the troops withdrawn from Akansa to Saint Domingue to violently suppress the rebellion.

May 22nd: In a surprise move for the presidency, John Jay (Unionist) and James Madison (Republican) throw in their hat at the same time. This will cause a great stir among the voters, as both candidates are highly accomplished (James Madison as a former cabinet member under Kim and a vice president under Jefferson, while Jay had been a Senator since the nation's inception). A relatively interesting and informative political campaign begins between the two of them, while two other candidates (from the fading Whigs and the Front) make their bid as well.

June 4th: The French Republic and the First Coalition sign a highly controversial treaty (mediated by Great Britain) in London. The Treaty of London will revert the French Republic to the "State of France," with King Louis as its official "head." Additionally, France will withdraw from the Italian and German states completely. The Kingdom of Corsica will be restored, with King Louis as its ceremonial head. In return, all hostilities between the two sides will cease and France will maintain control over Austrian Netherlands. Austrian Netherlands will be incorporated into France over the next several decades, with autonomy and representation. The war will also destabilize the parts of Germany and Italy that were occupied by the French, which will be noticeable in the regions when the Third Coalition War begins in 1840.

However, this deal will satisfy nobody. The French don't want the King to return (he does, but he is under house arrest in Versailles and is forbidden from participating in the government), but the French government is aware that dragging on the conflict will only lead to more dead soldiers and weaker finances. They are a republic in everything but name (and the king). Since the European powers are unable to forcefully remove the ruling government, this remains in place. The French public's reaction to the news will be mixed, though Lafayette reassures them that the nation will remain democratic and will not be directly ruled by the king.

On the flip side, the Coalition forces believe they have sacrificed their troops and money for nothing. Austria lost the Austrian Netherlands and its finances are in shambles. Prussia and Russia lost a bit less, but they still suffered from the losses. Spain is happy with what it managed to acquire (though Saint Domingue will make them rethink this opinion in the coming years). The Italian and German states suffered the most directly, though they managed to keep their borders intact. The only reason why they pulled out was due to the rising costs of the war and the willingness of France to revert back to a "monarchy" (which allowed the European powers to save some face). All in all, the peace is inconclusive, and will only result in the Second Coalition War in 1806 after King Louis is overthrown (for good) and the Second French Republic is declared.

As part of the treaty, the Jacobin-Montagnards that were captured, including Robespierre, will be sent back to France for trial. They will all be imprisoned or executed for mass murder, destruction of property, and treason.

Several days later, the American observers will return to the United States. Captain Jackson and Colonel Bonapart will both be influenced by the war and the devastation it costed. It will heavily affect their perception of the cost of war and will lead to their relatively peaceful, diplomatic policies during their times as presidents.

June 20th: The French government announces it will hold new elections to deal with the public outcry and the change in government. After elections are held, Lafayette still remains in power (just barely) as a "Prime Minister" (basically the president, but with a change in title).

July 1st: Congress votes to reorganize the territorial borders of the American territories. The previously "Unorganized Territories" in the northwest will be split to include the Wisconsin Territory (up to the Missouri River) and the Illinois Territory. There is fierce debate whether to allow Ohio to include everything from its border from the Iroquois all the way to the Illinois Territory border, but that matter is not settled (though a proposal is made to divide up the "middle" territory between the two territories). The remainders of the newly acquired territory from Spain is designated "Unorganized Louisiana Territory."

Akansa officially becomes an organized US territory, along with Michigan (which does not include the Upper Peninsula) and Alabama. All three of them will have seats in the next Congress.

Another problem is the legality of the Mississippi Territory. Some Congressmen believe that the territory should be granted organized status, as it meets the population requirements and has the largest settlement west of the Appalachians. However, others believe that the exiled freedmen should not be granted reprieve so easily and vote to delay the issue for several years. In the end, the Mississippi Territory is refused organized status, beginning a law suit against the federal government.

July 11th: The Ottoman Sultan Selim III creates the Nizam-I Cedid, the "New Order." It will be a major military reform that will hail the creation of the first modern military units in the Ottoman Empire. The new army will be equipped by European and American weapons and follow American/European doctrines of battle.

The Sultan will also make some legal reforms to better structure the empire and allow more autonomy within the further territories of the Ottoman Empire.

July 15th: Alabama will create a new city named "Washington" (AN: OTL's Rainbow City, Alabama) in honor of the American Revolutionary war hero. It will serve as the state's capital after its completion.

August 4th: The presidential campaign in the United States pick up as Madison, Jay, Boone (the Front candidate), and Alexander Martin (the Whigs candidate) debate with one another publicly for the first time in American history. They will answer questions from the public and also debate on numerous topics (both foreign and domestic) for the press to record and spread.

It is also noted that by this time, Jefferson and his Republican Party have widespread support from the American public (due to the Akansa Intervention). Many people predict that Madison will win the election easily and for the House to shift back to the Republican-Democrat Alliance.

August 11th: The American "embassy" in Nagasaki is complete. Like the Dutch "embassy," it will be restricted and cut off from the rest of Nagasaki and be under heavy scrutiny. However, this will peacefully allow the United States to gain a foothold in Japan. In the coming 19th century, it will greatly influence and shape Japan, which will also help lead to the alliance of the two nations in the future.

Through this "embassy," the United States will introduce more advanced science and military technology to Japanese society.

September 3rd: The first "Anti-Monarchy" clubs are established in Paris, which will spread to the rest of France. The clubs' agenda is to remove the monarchy in France (which they call a "tumor") and re-establish the brief, but popular, French Republic. It will fade after the overthrow of King Louis in 1806, but will spread to the United States after the Anglo-American War.

September 19th: As his eventual presidency comes to a close, President Jefferson makes a farewell speech to the American public. In the speech, he calls for national unity, strength, and endurance. He emphasizes the necessity of the United States to come together and build the nation into something greater together. He also calls for civility in politics and discourse even after he leaves office. His presidency will be remembered fondly by future historians and he will be regarded as one of the best presidents (due to his ability to overcome all the crises he faced and his amazing ability of foresight).

October 2nd: The Treaty of Madrid is signed between the United States and Spain. The treaty will normalize relations between the two countries (though they will still be generally unfriendly with one another). Trade will continue, though the "Free Ocean Declaration" made by President Jefferson will remain in place.

October 15th: Catherine the Great of Russia dies, with her son Paul I taking her place.

November 8th: Elections happen across the country, with voter's turnout crossing the seventy percent threshold. After the votes are counted, James Madison is declared to be the distinct winner of the 1796 Presidential Elections with 124 votes (John Jay received a mere 60). He will serve as the Third President of the United States of America. The Congressional elections result also favors the Republicans.

26