Omake: A Perspective of the Kim Family
1.5k 0 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

AN: An omake written by a reader named cast2007 on the AH.com website.

+++++

Kim Residence

"Samuel we need to talk." Elizabeth Kim nee Green told her husband.

Former President Samuel Kim involuntarily tensed. After a lifetime of war, governing and business there were few things that could faze him these days. Yet those words from his wife of many years were still able to put a shiver down his spine. "About?"

"Our daughter-in-law."

Samuel pinched his nose. Although Elizabeth had been nothing but polite and courteous to Hexiao, they had been married long enough to realize that Elizabeth had disapproved her firstborn son's choice in a partner.

"It's been three years since they've married and yet she still hasn't changed much since then."

"She did grow up in a different culture and doing her best. Justin has been helping her."

"Justin's caring and gentle nature is matched only by his determination and ambition. However, both of us know that whoever married him would have the capacity or be the wind beneath his wings or a load stone attached to his neck. With Hexiao, as it stands it's the later."

"And why is that?"

"Of the many social events that Justin's attended since their marriage, how many times has she accompanied him?"

Samuel winced. "None."

"It's been three years. Although they have kept silent out of respect for the goodwill that you've generated, they are starting to ask questions about the stability of their marriage."

"He seems happy and their marriage is fine."

"What was it that you once told me? Perception is reality? The public's perception is not looking good for either of them. Besides, a good marriage requires both compromise and alignment of long term goals. I see neither happening at this moment. Justin is bending over backwards to accommodate her and is receiving nothing in return. If things continue as they are, Justin will either have choose between his dreams or his wife's happiness. If he gives up his dreams to make her happy, he'll resent her. If he pursues his dreams, he'll either lose her or be doomed to an unhappy marriage for the rest of his life."

"Are you asking her to reinvent herself and mold herself into his demands?"

"I'm not asking her to completely change herself for him nor do I wish her to do so. However, I do not think it is unreasonable to have her meet him halfway and do her best to support him." Elizabeth paused, "During our courtship, I was met by a group of ladies among them Congresswoman Adams and Martha Washington? Do you know what they asked me?"

Samuel shook his head.

"They asked me if I knew what I was getting myself into by marrying you. If I was willing to become the immediate stepmother of three boys who had lost their father on the field of battle. If I was capable of being the spouse of the founder of a nation and be capable putting its needs above my own during your term of office. If I was able to standup to public and constant scrutiny as your wife for the rest of my days.

"They told me that if I wasn't willing or able of doing all those things and more and still loved you that I should go back to Carolina and save you the heartbreak and sorrow. At the time, I thought that they were a group of snobby rich ladies trying to run a young country farm girl out of town. But then they said that if I was willing, they would do their best to help me grow and develop the skills needed to rise to the occasion."

Elizabeth frowned. "No one's had that talk with Hexiao and it's best that we address this while Justin is away."

Samuel sighed. "You're right. We have been remiss."

22